Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Future of detector design will be Sonically aimed (((End of year thought)) 1/4/17 Update on a cool way of using sound to make great intuitive sense 1/5/17 (Video that has always blown my mind)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wonder if there would be pattern change differences with different metal plates....looked like a steel plate in the vid.
I haven't a clue ozzie...

I find it quite remarkable though...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
This thread reminds me of a wine tasting event I attended a few years ago.

This particular wine maker (he's quite an ingenious wine maker) demonstrated what "Liquid Music" was.

Take one bottle of el cheapo swill, and one bottle of pricey fine wine.

Now add music. Relaxing, pleasing, soothing music and sample the el cheapo wine, and wow, it actually tastes pretty good.

Now play some vile music (can't recall exactly what he played, but it was something like busy, loud, obnoxious head banger music) and then sample the pricey wine, and wow this taste like cr@p!

Of course it didn't really, as it was revealed it was the same expensive bottle he'd severed up earlier that everyone was raving about, but it was very interesting to see in action the psychological influence of sound and taste.

I think the same could be said for detecting audio. I've noticed that, for example, on my Racer1/2 that if I use standard Killer B's, or Sunray Golds, that I really don't care for the audio, but if I switch to Black Widow's or a set of high impedance Ski Whiz phones, that I really enjoy the audio.
Excellent analogy, Brian.

I too find certain headphones make a positive difference.
Man has been on this earth a very short time. What metal he left in the ground is very limited in the scope of things. And we as metal detectorist spend our time searching for evidence that he's been here. It's a passion for us, a need to know who he was, the circumstances in which he lived, etc. you know what I'm trying to say, But those metal objects we so desperately search for are limited. And we all are waiting for the newest technology to come out and give us more ability to dig those items from the ground. Believe me, I'm on a constant search for a detector that will do just that. What bothers me with all this new technology is that in a very short time the only thing left to enloy will be the thrill of the hunt and not the finds we've made..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 01:20AM by Bill long.
I wasn't meaning my post to be literal in regards to using sonar technology in detecting. I was using sonar as an example of advancement in technology...from where it started to where it is now. I do have to say that I bet there was similar responses in regards to sonar engineers/R&D teams when someone brainstormed the idea up for the side imaging and the concept. I can see the old heads sitting at the brainstorm table now, and someone getting their head bit off and scoffed at for bringing up anything different than the 2D sonar that had dominated the industry for years. "That can't be done...and if it was done, it would cost so much that nobody would buy it". The only advancement they had made to sonar at that point, was making the screens bigger and colored, and adding GPS mapping to some of them. Sound familiar? Fast forward a few short years, and now every sonar manufacturer in the business, has a variant of side imaging sonar and nearly every fisherman has at least one of the units on their boat....despite some of them costing $3,000+ per unit. Most have multiple units on their boat and will be on preorder lists as soon as the next generation models are announced.

I think when you have the same group of people that have been trying to come up with the next big thing, that the idea pool eventually gets stagnant. It takes new/different people to offer fresh new insight. Have you ever done something for so long that you become blind to stuff that is right in front of your nose, and it takes somebody else to point it out for you? Where I work, we have kaizen groups that we have to do. For a while, we had a kaizen project every year that we had to do to improve our machines/lines. Well when you have people that have been on the same line for years, the ideas get wore out and it gets hard to find stuff to improve on. What they started doing then, was allowing groups to go into other areas and observe/explore things and allow them to come up with improvements to those areas. Almost ALWAYS, when this happened, the people that were veterans on the line would grumble about it, saying it was stupid or couldn't/shouldn't be done. But once the project was completed, some of them were very surprised at how much easier the change made to their process...they had been doing it for so long they had become blind to it and it took outside eyes to spot the potential improvement areas. This has happened on multiple occasions. I think it needs to be done to the detecting world too.