Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Golden Mask 6 or Golden Mask 5 Plus?

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Golden Mask 6 or Golden Mask 5 Plus?
January 14, 2017 08:12PM
Already in sale:
GM5 + for sale in RU
( 670 eur )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 08:14PM by vfp7.
January 14, 2017 08:27PM
I saw it advertised for €588
January 14, 2017 10:37PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sven1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Keith Southern Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> >
> > > Do you think the other Bulgarian machines are
> bu
> > il
> > > t off the like's of the DeepTechs .Im referr
> in
> > g
> > > to the GM's and the Pirate and say Mikron and
> ot
> > he
> > > rs..
> > >
> > >
> > > Good info!!
> > >
> > > Keith
> >
> > They are all derivatives of a single/couple uni
> ts
> > . If you look closely at the specs and circuitry
> ..
> > .............from what I understand the Wave and
> t
> > he Magnum.
> > The Pirate, Golden Mask, Desert Gold............
> .a
> > re the same.
> >
> > There's a lot of stuff overseas you probably hav
> e
> > never seen.......................
> > [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwL9SRy_6Dk
> ]h
> > ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwL9SRy_6Dk[/url]
> > [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEKPrEFmZU
> ]h
> > ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyEKPrEFmZU[/url]
> > [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byr5xg44yQQ
> ]h
> > ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byr5xg44yQQ[/url]
> > [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhOoX4lffo
> ]h
> > ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhOoX4lffo[/url]
> >
> > I am attempting building a variation myself.
> > [img]http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s384/tr
> ea
> > surelinx/Forum%20Pictures/PC230009_zpsgccmskxy.j
> pg
> > [/img]
>
> That Golden Wave detector is a Sorex Pro if I've e
> ver heard one.

For sure it is, it even has an AKA coil on it.
January 15, 2017 05:41AM
ghound Wrote:
> I saw it advertised for €588

Quite a bit more the the GM5 (non plus).....be interesting to see how it performs.
January 16, 2017 10:25PM
I should have one coming so be good to see how it stacks up against the GM5... Audio sure does sound sweater thumbs down
January 18, 2017 06:51AM
Ziggy Wrote:
> I should have one coming so be good to see how it
> stacks up against the GM5... Audio sure does sound
> sweater thumbs down

Look forward to your test videos thumbs down
January 20, 2017 04:05PM
I've a GM5 going cheap as im ordering up the new one, there's also a fighter coil for heavy mineralization soils which may interest some to go with it.
January 21, 2017 12:13AM
ghound Wrote:
> I've a GM5 going cheap as im ordering up the new o
> ne, there's also a fighter coil for heavy minerali
> zation soils which may interest some to go with it
> .

How cheap is cheap?

I almost bit on the GM5 during the holiday sale from GM, but decided that with all the new machines slated to be released this year, I should hold off for the time being. Still, it looks like a machine that would be interesting to test out.
January 21, 2017 12:15AM
BTW they now show the GM5+ for sale on the GM website:

[www.goldenmaskdetectors.com]

I think they posted it up right after that 15% Holiday sale ended.

Does anyone know how often they offer those sales?
January 21, 2017 02:36AM
nice looking machine Cobra! about $800 Cdn + import fees....not bad....something to consider after you buy it first and post some reports....

also, their Website is very good, which is a big plus to me...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 02:37AM by canslawhero.
January 21, 2017 03:53PM
January 21, 2017 07:09PM
vfp7 Wrote:
> Menu GM5+

Set the depth of discrimination - what exactly does that do? You have disc to 6" and then it goes to AM beyond 6" depth?

So this "powerbox" option amps up the current to the coil?

Their discing of iron @ 3:57 didn't really work....he moved the disc up to just below foil and when he waived the screwdriver over the coil it still beeped. I see, after going forward w/the foil and pulltab, it's actually an adjustable tone break he's showing, not disc. Cool, nice feature to have, love it on my Racer2.

For some odd reason the graphics on their menu system remind me of 1980's video games graphics - lol

Looking forward to some field tests, would love to see how it does in an iron infested area, not so much an open field with little iron to contend with.

HH,
Cal
January 21, 2017 08:26PM
[m.youtube.com]

No probs with GM'S around iron, guys love them on the busy Roman sites in the UK
January 21, 2017 09:42PM
Pretty good video..

The coin between boards,,with nails above plane,,,add another board,,increase distance and try. Pretty good sized coin you are using there,,,it looks like.
Detector based on your vids,,,looks to have some potential.

Thanks for sharing.
January 22, 2017 05:45PM
Aka Intronic v Golden Mask5 comparison video.
As you can see the Intronic was much better identifying the buried targets accurately unlike the Golden Mask.comparison video
January 22, 2017 06:20PM
The GM5 costs £350 how much is the Intronic meant to cost?
You got to compare apples with apples, in $ this is like comparing an Ace250 to an xp Deus.

hastings Wrote:
> Aka Intronic v Golden Mask5 comparison video.
> As you can see the Intronic was much better identi
> fying the buried targets accurately unlike the Gol
> den Mask.[url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=
> youtu.be&v=bS93z39TrkM]comparison video[/url]
January 23, 2017 02:05AM
Here's an extract from the manual about "Discrimination depth"......interesting

"Setting the discrimination depth (Disc. Depth)

The Discrimination Depth setting is something different from the usual discrimination you see on some other brands and models. 0n the Golden Mask 5+ this setting controls the

depth the detector discriminates targets at. The lower the value, the closer to the coil the discrimination works. And vice versa. The default setting is 10

in general you’ll want your machine to discriminate at the maximum depth of detection. The problem is that the discrimination and the depth of detection are opposite and that‘s why

the default setting is 10 and not 15.

So. what are the lower values for? if you set the Disc. Level to zero, you will discriminate the objects near the surface and dig all the deep targets. Deep targets are usually ancient.

so they could be interesting, even if they are made of iron. Another use of the lower disc depth values is when you search on a mineralized ground, on such ground all metal detectors tend to indicate deep non-ferrous targets as ferrous. With Disc. Depth set to or near zero, these deep non-ferrous targets will be properly indicated as non-ferrous and in addition you will have a slightly better detection depth.

With higher values of the Disc. Depth the detector is faster so if you want maximum recovery speed use higher values and 18KHz working frequency."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2017 02:12AM by james1969.
January 23, 2017 05:56AM
IMHO, but that control two parameters - channel ST ( sensitivity channel identification ) and recovery rate ( questionable ).
/ IMHO ! /
January 26, 2017 05:12PM
I've got this coming in tomorrow or Monday so I will do a comparison video on the GM5+ against the GM5, but the refined audio and extra depth should be pretty cool.
January 26, 2017 10:21PM
For the ones that have the Mask 5, How does the disc. depth work? The book says that at low (0) setting iron will not false (high tone) at depth. Is this true? Thanks
January 27, 2017 12:51AM
BamaJoe Wrote:
> For the ones that have the Mask 5, How does the di
> sc. depth work? The book says that at low (0) sett
> ing iron will not false (high tone) at depth. Is t
> his true? Thanks

Bama,
No, it helps, but does not eliminate falsing on iron at depth.

The majority of VLFs (arguably all) will false on some deep iron, particularly if it's something like a deep rusty nail in damp and/or mineralized soil.
Get just the right distance away from the tip and you get a great non-ferrous signal.
It's been the bane of detectorists since motion discriminators were invented.

As far as the GM5 goes, as ghound has stated (and I agree), the Disc works as a recovery speed adjustment...

From the GM5 manual:
"The Discrimination level (DL) setting is something different from the usual discrimination...
The faster the detector, the worse the target identification, (but the better the adjacent target separation) and vice versa.
If you set a lower DL value, the detectors “holds” the signal for more time, so the signal is (more likely to be) properly identified by the processing engine.
Lower values are good to (more) properly identify deep targets..."

I added the words in parenthesis to enhance the accuracy of the English translation, as no VLF detector will properly identify all targets at depth 100% of the time.

smiling smiley
mike
January 27, 2017 02:23AM
Thanks Mike, I'm hoping that one day someone will develop a discriminate depth level circuit adjustable from 1" to say 6" where everything deep comes in loud and clear with good ID deeper than my CTX3030. Dreaming......
January 27, 2017 09:15AM
It was called surface blanking and it was on the Big Bud Pro from Bounty Hunter in the late 80's! It was pretty amazing feature back in the day. Tested one!
January 27, 2017 10:10AM
Can't wait for my 5+ to arrive, supposed to hot/deeper on the small stuff like coins on edge, little hammered etc
January 28, 2017 10:40PM
GOLDEN MASK 5+

The brand new GM5+ has turned up and I've just been playing around with this machine and the original GM5 to see where gains have been made.

I've been doing some basic tests that I do with all machines before I hit the field and things are looking good.

With near identical sized coils on both machines I can already see where physical gains have been made and this is without really getting far into settings on the new model.

Audio
Depth
Recovery Speed ( maybe due to cleaner audio )
Stability in both Ground Balancing and dealing with EMI have been improved.

The above are just some to mention that I can see and hear what is a good start so I'm guessing this is why they have called it the GM5+

To the extent the gains have been improved will only be fully realised when I hit the field over the weekend or early next week but I will get some quick test footage up very soon (tonight if I get the chance)

Golden Mask have tweaked this machine and added new features that will give the user far more control in the field where it counts what will only reinforce the + symbol at the end of the GM5

So I'm thinking if you love the original GM5 then this new plus model will allow you to hunt deeper for targets and closer to targets that lay around iron with more stability what I feel is very important.

Proof is in the pudding so they say so when I hit the field I will be opening up this pudding and seeing what this machine can do.

Ziggy.
January 29, 2017 07:18AM
Looking forward to your video, I am particularly interested in the discrimination depth setting and how it effects performance.
January 29, 2017 08:20AM
Thanks for the update Ziggy, looking forward to seeing how this does.

2017 might end up being a heck of a year for new detector releases thumbs down

-Cal
February 02, 2017 07:20AM