Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's your best iron find?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's your best iron find?
January 12, 2017 02:29PM
I've never dug a good a really good find, but i always dig the big stuff just incase i hit lucky.
Re: What's your best iron find?
January 12, 2017 02:48PM
Spurs in the UK ...from the 1600s period in very good condition ..locks and keys too from same era
January 12, 2017 04:32PM
Several years back I found a 1858 Remington .44 cal. revolver that is in bad shape, not worth much but very cool.
January 12, 2017 04:46PM
old axe heads, locks very old, tools, keys, tons of iron is good relics that turned to a bad tone from all of the iron..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 12, 2017 05:19PM
Same here Lawrenzo. Those old iron tools I end up always finding at old farm sites. I remember a few years ago finding several axe heads in one yard and one of them being over 18" deep!
I remember one time digging over a foot, finally finding the target pulling it out of the hole and then saying to myself out loud: "BASTARD!"
My buddy runs over and says what's wrong?
I then showed him the 100yr old bastard file. We both got a good laugh.

Aaron
January 12, 2017 08:29PM
I like old relics tools guns sometimes will come up as iron

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 13, 2017 03:02PM
Bridle and bit parts. Coolest for me in the northern forests here are the hand forged iron rings with a long point that were pounded into the logs to allow the large rafts to be tied together and floated to the mills.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
January 13, 2017 03:18PM
Antique farrier tool...hoof nippers.
January 13, 2017 04:09PM
This iron cannonball...probably caseshot vs. the usually larger grapeshot.
Found in an area I had no idea had any civil war activity, at the time I thought it was just some sort of unusual small iron ball and almost threw it away.
Glad I didn't.

Also tools, I have dug a lot of them over the years, here are just a few.

A favorite is this Disston and Sons saw complete with the medallion which helped me trace it back to the turn of the last century.
Those medallions are treasured and worth a few bucks to those that collect them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 04:25PM by diggwr27.
January 13, 2017 06:10PM
hard to say...I have tubs of that stuff sitting around...

Heres some things out I grabbed out of a box.....Sort of like the big cow bell LOL...

Buckles and locks and gun parts barrels hammers stirrups there's even a old drill I of dill/auger i dug where an old house use to be next to spring head ..I believe that was to bore through the logs of a cabin to drive in the wood pegs ??

Have boxes and boxes of axes and clothing iron's every house had one of each it so seems...

I really just like it all...

If I had to pick it in that picture right there and it looks unobtrusive..but im told its 1600s ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 14, 2017 02:38AM
Model 59. Sharps carbine found in the Sonoran desert, all patent dates, nos. and writings ledgeable. Lever and block works, trigger and hammer frozen in cocked position. Was not buried.