Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Life of the batteries themselves

Posted by mrb1268 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Life of the batteries themselves
January 16, 2017 11:59AM
If you have a detector that only sees random use how long is it safe to leave the batteries in ?..I ask this in reference to time vs. Level of charge vs. environmental exposure to moisture, salt air if on the beach, cold, hot , a particular battery brand that may corrode before another etc.
Re: Life of the batteries themselves
January 16, 2017 02:26PM
I don't think a set time per SE can be established.

My experiences,,,regular batteries non alkaline type,,,,watch those,,they start leaking corroding faster.

I wouldn't even recommend run in them in any quality metal detector.

Alkalines, You will noicce they have a rather long shelve life date established,,,but remember this is in a new peak or close to peak charge,,,,so with little or no charge,,,they too become suspect in leakage,,,corroding.

Always better safe than sorry.

2 or 3 months of no use,,,,,good idea not to have battery in a detector.

Also,,a person should be looking at how the battery compartment is oriented,,,(sealed) or not in relation to detector's electronics.
Some setup out better for protection if a battery was to develop leakage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 02:29PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 16, 2017 02:55PM
Just take the batteries out is advised as one never knows...Weather, humidity, battery types all come into play so just take them out when not in use....
January 16, 2017 03:07PM
TS gives some good guidelines---From personal experience--Take'em OUT.
January 16, 2017 09:59PM
I agree with all of the above....so take them out it is, much less expensive than downtime and repairs...thanks for the replies.
January 16, 2017 10:29PM
I had a fabulous D cell Mag Lite stowed under the drivers seat in the car.
One day after a wet damp winter, I opened it and the Duracell batteries looked fine and the lite turned on.
About 2 weeks later I needed it and it didn't turn on. So I opened it and found the batteries had burst leaked and ruined it!
I was bummed as it was a "Sam's Club" buy and I'm no longer a member and many thousands of miles from a Sam's outlet!