Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?

Posted by woodchiphustler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?
January 16, 2017 10:24PM
Curious for those of us who purchase ours!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2017 10:25PM by woodchiphustler.
Re: When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?
January 16, 2017 10:31PM
"I'm not sure I understand your Q?"
Not familiar with those terms!
Re: When it comes to buying or trying new detectors are you a " Goat" or a "Sheep"?
January 16, 2017 10:44PM
I'm not sure I understand either, George. Please clarify.
January 16, 2017 10:56PM
Man----What kinda question's that???----Goat--Sheep huh??------I'm CHICKEN---ALL DA WAY!!!!!thumbs downwinking smiley
January 16, 2017 11:21PM
I think what hes saying..

Sheep follow the heard

The goat rams head first into a situation..

I'm more of a GOAT man myself George..

Of course I like to be different and even at times use unorthodox tool's to get the job done JUST TO BE DIFFERENT...

P.I.s in yards ...Gold machine's looking for coins Etc..LOL

One thing's for certain nothing is written in stone...

Think outside the box..there's another world out there...And it's not square!!!

I never want to be like anyone or do want anyone else does..I like to blaze my own trails...May run into a dead end...But Like Sinatra Said I did It my way..LOL

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 16, 2017 11:24PM
Well since all my detectors are either older models or updated older ones I guess I fall in Del's category. smileys with beer

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
January 16, 2017 11:34PM
Goat = Greatest Of All Time.... what some call Nick Saban (Alabama's football coach) for example.
January 16, 2017 11:53PM
Went dove hunting with a bud once at his farm.
After bagging our limits we went back to the barn to clean the birds.
When we got there one of his goats was walking around on the hood of his $40,000 pickup , drinking it's own piss!!
Want to rephrase the question?
Well I've got a Tesoro Vaquero, a Fisher F44 and F19, and a White's M5.
Also I've got a AKA Sorex Pro, a Golden Mask 3 Plus Power Box, and a Detech Relic Striker.

So I guess I'm both.
January 17, 2017 12:46AM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curious for those of us who purchase ours!

I see you have conditionalized with the word "bought".

Okay,,,I understood what you were asking.

So,,,,who here has bought many detectors and never did read anything worthy about them period beforehand??? Buying totally in the dark...

Maybe back in the day,,,but today??? C'mon.

I see folks here on this from and others,,,where seemingly positive comments about brand xx model yy.

And this peaks some folks interest.

So,,,no I sure haven't in the last 6 years,,,done this.

Not many secrets anymore when it comes to worthy detectors.

Maybe I'm wrong,,don't think so though.

Now some folks do use units that are not as popular or kinda odd,,,,but do this qualify as a GOAT???

Don't think so either.

Buying blindly would though.

Now,,a new model,,,with little circulation in the USA,,,but more known across the pond.
If a person buys one of these,,,does this make them a Goat??
Not necessarily,,,depends on what they knew or read beforehand.

We could probably ask this question when it comes to new autos???
Don't think too many go out and buy blind here either.

Can George's question be in fact linked,,,,to using a detector "not" for is intended or best purpose???
I don't know,,,,but do realize sometimes folks discover through use (accident) maybe a detector does something pretty good--- this wasn't maybe why they purchased in the first place.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 12:59AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 17, 2017 01:26AM
Hey Des its of Biblical Proportions ..

Matthew 25:31–46: "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 01:32AM by Keith Southern.
I'm a goat AND a sheep mixed grinning smiley
January 17, 2017 01:34AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> I'm a goat AND a sheep mixed grinning smiley

Hey Wayne..I think that's a Chupacabra...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
January 17, 2017 11:33AM
"Are you having a go at Tester's?"
Not at all Des.
You may not know this but I have been testing detectors from all around the world since 1969. The last one was the Whites TDI . Check out their field manual. In my quest for the perfect detector a "Goat" will take the risk at his own expense. You will have to understand detectors so it won't be to costly and do allot of trading to obtain certain models.A "sheep" goes along with the crowd. Playing it safe. Sometimes it works , sometimes not. So for me to find the perfect detector I forget about the Internet Hype, read the manual if one is available and go from there. To use a recent example how did the field tester's miss the tone smearing on the MX Sport? Hurt sales and a very good offering has lost credibility! But if you watch the videos you could have never know this Strange I only own a couple of models made in the USA. They are both classic analog models. Nothing new or creative though this should change in the spring! Good hunting.
January 17, 2017 04:35PM
Goat or sheep what does that have to do with what detector I get??? OK I get it I'm a goat but that can get you into trouble

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 02:13AM by Lawrenzo.
thumbs downKeith Southern Wrote:
> I think what hes saying..
>
> Sheep follow the heard
>
> The goat rams head first into a situation..
>
> I'm more of a GOAT man myself George..
>
>
> Of course I like to be different and even at times
> use unorthodox tool's to get the job done JUST TO
> BE DIFFERENT...
>
> P.I.s in yards ...Gold machine's looking for coins
> Etc..LOL
>
> One thing's for certain nothing is written in ston
> e...
>
> Think outside the box..there's another world out t
> here...And it's not square!!!
>
> I never want to be like anyone or do want anyone e
> lse does..I like to blaze my own trails...May run
> into a dead end...But Like Sinatra Said I did It m
> y way..LOL
>
> Keith
January 17, 2017 06:01PM
"Seeing as you put it that way woodchip, then I'm a Goat!
Been 'Buyin & Tryin' teccies since 1977: always had to wait for 'the next magazine' to show "What's New?"
Read the blurb, believe it, buy it, be disappointed in it, sell it and then consult the magazine again!

That's why when I developed the 'Minelab Explorer XS', I put all I had ever wanted in a detector into it and so on with a whole host of subsequent models.

Yes. You're right about the White's MX Sport - a faux-paus that caused consternation for 12 months now: is it safe to buy it now? On that one I'm gonna be a sheep.
But, if anything else exciting comes out I'm gonna barge right into it with my curled horns!"
Des D Wrote:
> "Seeing as you put it that way woodchip, then I'm
> a Goat!
> Been 'Buyin & Tryin' teccies since 1977: always ha
> d to wait for 'the next magazine' to show "What's
> New?"
> Read the blurb, believe it, buy it, be disappointe
> d in it, sell it and then consult the magazine aga
> in!
>
> That's why when I developed the 'Minelab Explorer
> XS', I put all I had ever wanted in a detector int
> o it and so on with a whole host of subsequent mod
> els.
>
> Yes. You're right about the White's MX Sport - a f
> aux-paus that caused consternation for 12 months n
> ow: is it safe to buy it now? On that one I'm gonn
> a be a sheep.
> But, if anything else exciting comes out I'm gonna
> barge right into it with my curled horns!"

And I respect your work over many years. You would fit the mold along with Keith! Regards
January 17, 2017 09:25PM
I prefer being a Donkey---the one who keeps the coyotes from eating the sheep and goats.
January 17, 2017 10:08PM
Ive been both.
However now a days I like to wait and see if a few trusted members here take the plunge first and what their opinions are. When it came to the CTX, I was one of the first 4yrs ago and no regrets.

Aaron
January 17, 2017 10:09PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> I prefer being a Donkey---the one who keeps the co
> yotes from eating the sheep and goats.

Sure about that,,,ole Donkey reminds me of guess who??? Lol
January 17, 2017 10:22PM
I get what I want when I want it. Now, what determines whether I want it or not, that comes and goes with the seasons. I keep an ear to the ground though on new things, although my list of people I trust is very very short these days.
January 17, 2017 10:37PM
On new detectors, if it catches my eye and the feature set can keep my interest I get it and drive it. If it can't keep my attention I let it pass. If the price is higher than I care to spend new I'll put it on the burrner and wait until the used price comes in line with what I would want to spend on it. Been quite a few news out lately that for one reason or another just didn't catch my eye enough to buy and try no matter what the crowd is doing.

HH
Mike
January 17, 2017 11:20PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> doc holiday Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I prefer being a Donkey---the one who keeps the
> co
> > yotes from eating the sheep and goats.
>
>
> Sure about that,,,ole Donkey reminds me of guess w
> ho??? Lol

Well, I actually meant ASS---cause donkey reminds me of Shillery.
Bravo!smileys with beer
January 18, 2017 12:13AM
Hey Mike I can tell you are a outside the box thinker!!

I see what you do.....And it doesn't go unnoticed...Especially with your Black sand quest!!

Very methodical and studious you are Sir..

Good for you!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
doc holiday Wrote:
> Well, I actually meant ASS---cause donkey reminds
> me of Shillery.

LoL

good one Doc grinning smiley
January 18, 2017 12:18AM
Yes YOU have George....

A true legend you are!!

You've probably ran more and owned more machines in the last 50 years than most can even fathom!!

Glad you worked on that TDI platform with Whites design team..It stands as a true UNIQUE P.I. still...Only one I know that can Cherry pick high coins!!

Hope you stick around here awhile good to see you posting!!!....

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
January 18, 2017 12:23AM
A true wealth of knowledge you are Too Des!!

I still get a kick out of that Musky vid you did for Minelab!!I watch it sometimes just to make me smile Simple machine Great weather AWESOME Finds that day...Life seemed good in that video...UNCOMPLICATED and just RELAXING FEEL!!!!Summed up The way detecting should be...an escape not a JOB!!

Kudos for all you do!!

For those who have relaxed today
[www.youtube.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla