Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NOKTA IMPACT -- PROTOTYPING REALITY

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: NOKTA IMPACT -- PROTOTYPING REALITY
March 21, 2017 01:46AM
Here is a few more Impact tid-bits. I may have to edit/revise........ so the chart-alignment numbers will 'column' properly.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:58 PM

In my (somewhat) limited time...... here is a ID list:

.................. NORMALIZED....... 5-Khz.......14-Khz.......20-Khz

Zinc Penny............ 82............ 63...........82..........83
Copper Penny.......... 84............ 79...........84..........86
Copper Dime........... 84............ 78...........84..........85
Silver Dime........... 85............ 82...........85..........87
Copper Quarter........ 87............ 83...........87..........89
Silver Quarter........ 88............ 84...........88..........90
Nickel................ 54............ 48...........54..........60

Flying Eagle Penny.... 65............ 52...........65..........72
Fatty Indian Penny.... 65............ 52...........65..........72
Indian Head Penny.....72-79......... 55-58........72-79.......80-82
Silver Trime.......... 76............ 58...........76..........81
Silver Half Dime...... 78............ 61...........79..........82

$1.00 Gold Coin....... 51............ 47...........52..........54
$2.50 Gold Coin....... 62............ 51...........62..........70
$5.00 Gold Coin....... 72............ 55...........72..........80
$10.00 Gold Coin...... 82............ 65...........82..........83
$20.00 Gold Coin...... 84............ 75...........84..........85

Throughout the years of normal Bronze/Copper Indian Head Pennies.... the 'batch consistency' suffered a bit; hence, the 'variance' of ID's. These are real-world 'dug' Indian Head Pennies ID's. Early Wheat Pennies ID exactly like
Bronze/Copper Indian Head Pennies...... and the later Wheat Pennies ID in the 'Copper Penny' ID bracket. Throughout U.S. History....... the Nickel has been exceptionally 'batch consistent'. Sames applies for silver Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars and silver Dollars.

Out of time!

Sincerely,

Tom

Monday, February 27, 2017 8:25 AM

Hi Dilek,

I just loaded V1.09...... and tested the unit. Yes...... in the ID window, it displays '01'....... and in the Grnd Balance window, it displays '9'. It took me a couple of attempts in order to succeed...... as I was not holding the + and - buttons long enough (on my first attempt)...... and not waiting long enough until the unit displayed the software version.

* And (for some unknown reason)....... I'm experiencing an exceptionally low EMI day....... and the detection depth/range of this unit is expressing the best/maximum performance that I have ever witnessed. (((Or did V1.09 'alter' something.))) More test-garden tests........ and at different times/intervals........ will present better/overall aggregate data.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:17 PM

Hi Alper,

I (now) have experienced 3 incursions whereby 20-Khz was more EMI stable on my 2nd unit Impact......and the 1st Impact unit is very chatty/EMI-ridden whilst on 20-Khz. 14-Khz & 5-Khz on both units were EMI identical during these 3 separate (days). I switched back and forth between units multiple times on each day....... so as to ascertain validity.....even on a daily basis. . . . . . . . however; I still have suspicion that solar-flare(s) complicates EMI testing/measuring/validating.

Is it possible.......... on the "inches measurement ruler" on the lower shaft......... to be congruent with the DISTANCE FROM THE TOP OF THE COIL........ so as to facilitate air-testing (and doubles advantageously for YouTube videoing demo's).

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:30 AM

Hi Alper,

About the air-test....... If I set the detector on a wooden table (without any nails/metal in the table)......... I would like to be able to tilt/adjust the coil perfectly vertical (which would be perpendicular to the stem/pole.... that is parallel/flat with the table).... and wave/pass coins by the coil....... using the graduated (in inches) ruler that is embossed in the coils lower stem/pole. You then could use the marked (in inches) stem/pole for air-test measurements of various metallic objects. This would make for a 'standardized' air-test ability......worldwide.

Sincerely,

Tom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all: For your information,.,. regarding this entire thread about the Impact.................................. I have only shared what I feel would be pertinent 'value-added' data. There is a large amount of other information that I have omitted...... for many reasons,.,.,.,. primarily due to mundane/boring/excessively-technical justification(s) / rationale. Yet......... what I have posted........ should give all...a reasonably good aggregate overview of mindset/thought-process ...of one person..... going into the Impact. I pose impartiality with you...... as I do for manufacturers. This provides maximization for hobby advancement.

You will also notice that the field-testers have presented ........ to the best of their human abilities......... the most self-disciplined, hype-removed: written/verbal/video outlook (presentation) regarding the Impact. "Reality" is the best gauge.

Also............ because the Impact is 36-metal detectors in-one.......... the Owners Manual ""theme"" is written in such a fashion so-as to 'remove' a lot of the "complexity-intimidation" that a novice detectorist may have/encounter.

I have....... and continue to....... hunt with the Impact; yet, have reported no further updates to Nokta in the past few weeks........ as performance has been nominal/per-expectations...... without error.
March 21, 2017 02:06AM
Thanks for all you've done Tom...as well as everyone else. Are you going to give a "final thoughts" post? That way we have an up to date/current idea as to what you think overall?
March 21, 2017 02:18AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it possible.......... on the "inches measuremen
> t ruler" on the lower shaft......... to be congrue
> nt with the DISTANCE FROM THE TOP OF THE COIL.....
> ... so as to facilitate air-testing (and doubles a
> dvantageously for YouTube videoing demo's).

>
> Hi Alper,
>
> le)......... I would like to be able to tilt/adjus
> t the coil perfectly vertical (which would be perp
> endicular to the stem/pole.... that is parallel/fl
> at with the table).... and wave/pass coins by the
> About the air-test....... If I set the detector on
> a wooden table (without any nails/metal in the tab
> coil....... using the graduated (in inches) ruler
> that is embossed in the coils lower stem/pole. You
> then could use the marked (in inches) stem/pole fo
> r air-test measurements of various metallic object
> s. This would make for a 'standardized' air-test a
> bility......worldwide.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tom

Hey Tom...Funny you Bring up the indexing...

The first thing back in october when the Impact arrived I sent a request to Have the lower rod Indexed...

I emailed Dilek and said please some sort of Indexing I keep pulling it out to far....LOL

Most of my machine's I know which hole to use but on the Impact it was trial and error to get it where I LIKED IT..

and true to form It was taken care of I believe that same week by Alpers team..

Very very fast concept to fruition format they have...........Something To be said for that!

Also I like your idea about having it exactly 1-inch above the coil for the first hash mark!!! winking smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 02:39AM by Keith Southern.
March 21, 2017 01:37PM
Air testing from the top of the coil doesn't match measurements from air testing from bottom of the coil. Depending on the thickness of the coil you can subtract up to an inch when air testing from the top. Has to do with the way the coil is constructed. If you test from top of coil just subtract an inch from your results and you'll be good to go. Or you can leave it and call it fudge.

HH
Mike
March 21, 2017 03:38PM
Or just hunt in the dirt because everything changes in the dirt

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 22, 2017 10:59AM
DigDugNY...... Yes, I'm about to 'finalize' my prioritization selection for my general and specific hunting. . . . . and will probably conclude in about 10 days. I will certainly post my results here......and in this specific thread. The Impact does indeed alter my ratings/rankings.
March 22, 2017 04:01PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> DigDugNY...... Yes, I'm about to 'finalize' my pri
> oritization selection for my general and specific
> hunting. . . . . and will probably conclude in abo
> ut 10 days. I will certainly post my results here.
> .....and in this specific thread. The Impact does
> indeed alter my ratings/rankings.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to say
March 25, 2017 04:54AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Or just hunt in the dirt because everything change
> s in the dirt

How smart of you.
April 26, 2017 02:28PM
wjs Wrote:
>

Some of you guys might get "personalized" u
> pgrades for your exacting 'niche' conditions from
> Alper ....... for you to test and report
>
> I would like Di4 to let me adjust the audio tone.
> Don't know why that feature is not available. Com
> e on Alper send me an update file with that option
> ......;o)

Agreed!
April 26, 2017 03:23PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> wjs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >

Some of you guys might get "personalized"
> u
> > pgrades for your exacting 'niche' conditions fro
> m
> > Alper ....... for you to test and report
> >
> > I would like Di4 to let me adjust the audio tone
> .
> > Don't know why that feature is not available. C
> om
> > e on Alper send me an update file with that opti
> on
> > ......;o)
>
> Agreed!

We can offer updates based on what the majority of users want IF the overall design allows it.
Not a problem. Taking notes :-)
April 26, 2017 03:48PM
Nokta Detectors Wrote:

> We can offer updates based on what the majority of
> users want IF the overall design allows it.
> Not a problem. Taking notes :-)

since they kind of go together...VLX2 as well. smiling smiley Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 03:48PM by detectingMO.
April 26, 2017 05:42PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> DigDugNY...... Yes, I'm about to 'finalize' my pri
> oritization selection for my general and specific
> hunting. . . . . and will probably conclude in abo
> ut 10 days. I will certainly post my results here.
> .....and in this specific thread. The Impact does
> indeed alter my ratings/rankings.

Tom will you be posting your results?

I'm getting ready to do a small Impact focused detecting road trip, I'll take all the tips & tricks I can get before hand thumbs down

hh,
Brian
April 26, 2017 09:06PM
Heavy iron use 20 Khz. 14 for general hunting and where iron allows use 5 Khz for coins. As Tom D pointed out in one of his posts there is a big difference between sens 97-98-99. 99 can be too much in heavy iron but simply dropping down one or two numbers can make a big difference in handling the iron responses.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
April 26, 2017 10:20PM
Brian....... my bad! I had posted this answer in another thread (Tom what detectors do you like best and why). Sooooooo........... I shall cut-n-paste the following:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now collected enough aggregate data to make a definitive decision/statement on my equipment selection. Nutshell update:

1. I am so comfortable with either the Makro Racer Gold or Fisher Gold Bug-2 for (specifically) micro-jewelry hunting. In some instances...... I prefer the Racer Gold for it's VDI ID abilities. Then..... there are times..... I like the simplicity of the non-metered Gold Bug-2 with 'Iron Disc' invoked........... and the (no-brainer) 'beep=dig' hunt methodology. The bottom line aggregate conclusion is ..... both units are nearly identically capable (field performance-wise).

2. NOKTA IMPACT: This is what has been my largest point-of-contention time-delay. The past 21 hunts required the measurement of my 'gut'....... once I discovered I needed to stop field-testing (with subsequent: continuous scientific analyzation) the Impact ..... so I could simply 'see' what unit I naturally gravitated towards...... on each/every hunt. I had been forcing myself to 'learn more' about the Impact....... which....... in turn...... biased my selection; hence, the requirement to cease-and-desist this (somewhat unforeseen) bias. Now I can answer (with gut confidence)...... as to my primary hunting detector selection. Here is what I have concluded:

a) I may be in love with relic hunting..... to the point of a burning passion (sickness); yet, I am more of a 'old coin' hunter than (even) I suspected. This causes me to still grab the boost process F75 (deliberately without DST). There is something-to-be-said (and critical value placed upon) the 'coin tones' of the F75 platform. BUT....... where I use to carry 3 detectors with me on each/every hunt........in order of importance/significance:
(1) A boost process F75.
(2) A New-in-Box boost process F75 (as a critical/mandatory back-up unit).
(3) A 10.5" CZ-3D.

b) Now the ball-game has changed. I NOW carry the following 3 detectors on each/every hunt in order of importance/significance:
(1) A boost process F75.
(2) A Nokta Impact (w/both coils)
(3) A 10.5" CZ-3D

The Impact is now on my 'significant' (requirement) list.

This may not sound like much of a change; HOWEVER................. there are unforeseen significant genre. I must state for the record: The CZ-3D with 10.5" coil is for maximum depth on old coins in clear fields. Since I rarely hunt/detect 'clear fields'....... the CZ is a distant 'secondary' unit. . . . . . rarely seeing field-use/employment. I nearly always hunt with the F75. ///////////////// Now that the Impact enters into the equation....... some significant 'changes' have taken place. I will still 'start' my hunt with the F75. But................ and sometimes in short order................ I'll switch over to the Impact. When I am relic hunting........ I need/want the Impact. When I am coin and relic hunting...... I want the Impact. When I am 'scouting' I'll take either unit. When I am 'old coin' hunting......... it's always the F75 with 4-Tone invoked. Case closed. Finale.
April 27, 2017 05:33PM
Question on the warranty card. Do we send it to Kellyco or Nokta? And do we send it only if we need to send the detector back or send it as soon as we get it?
April 27, 2017 07:26PM
DigDugNY Wrote:
> Question on the warranty card. Do we send it to Ke
> llyco or Nokta? And do we send it only if we need
> to send the detector back or send it as soon as we
> get it?

I don't believe you have to send anything in. You are covered for 2 years from proof of purchase date (receipt) or at least 2 years from manufacture date. USA purchase through USA dealer or kellyco can work with distro (Kellyco) or direct with Nokta for warranty.

I purchased from Turkey dealer and would work with Nokta directly for any warranty concerns. This would be my preferred anyway. They respond to emails. They request and look at photos/videos/evidence to promptly respond. Very modern and welcomed.
May 18, 2017 02:07AM
bump
May 19, 2017 07:20PM
I am curious if its a viable beach detector and how it would compare to the other top of the line models out there.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
May 22, 2017 07:19PM
Somebody brought up on this forum a while back, about how they open the battery door. I wanted to make a post and say they are spot on! I had trouble getting the battery door open on my unit, as did another poster or two on another forum. By my understanding in the manual, it looked like from the diagram to get the door open, you had to pry on the tabs. I felt like I was going to break the tabs off to get the door open.

Someone here said to push in the center of the door with your thumbs and then pull out on the tabs. Easy as pie to get it open now. You'd best learn that if you plan on getting an Impact or keeping one...cause you will be in and out of that door A LOT.
May 22, 2017 08:14PM
Daniel, I haven't found that I'm changing batteries "A LOT". We must have different hunting styles? Or, charging habits? I mostly hunt in 14kHz. I recharge after every hunt so I start every hunt with a fresh set (charge)and have not run out on a full day's (8 hours +) hunt yet. I always carry a spare set of batteries just in case.
I'm used to hunting with a GPX and got in the habit of recharging after every hunt. Do you do that as well, or do you leave them in until exhausted? If you leave them in, how many hours do you think you get before they run out from a full charge? Thanks!

Dean
May 22, 2017 09:42PM
Daniel Tn - Your Welcome
August 21, 2017 01:40AM
Bump
December 02, 2017 03:33AM
Noteworthy:

Almost a year ago...... I detected a particular park with the Impact. 14-Khz & Sens '97'.
A few days ago....... I noticed on one side of the park......... one powerline cable was removed......to include all of the wooden power/telephone poles. Soooooooo............ I hunted it again. But........ this time....... a difference. I was able to boost Sens to '98'. . . . . due to a certain percentile of EMI reduction. A 45'x70' particular spot ...yielded 17 more non-ferrous targets......... to include a nearly uncirculated 1945 Mercury dime. . . . . right at 12" deep. The reduction in EMI....coupled with a notable Sens boost.,.,.,.,., can really make a difference.

((( Yet, I wonder......... At what depths are the 1890's coin drops...... because the park was established in 1891. )))
December 02, 2017 03:00PM
adamBomb Wrote:
> I am curious if its a viable beach detector and ho
> w it would compare to the other top of the line mo
> dels out there.

Nokta/Makro have changed the way single frequency machines hunt salt water. They have made it possible for single frequency machines to remain very stable in salt water which up until now required manipulation of discrimination and a reduction of sensitivity to allow stability. I personally find that these detectors (The Racers and Impact) remain sensitive to small gold and other low conductors quite well. They are not as deep as say my Sovereign is or an Excal., but they do have a better hit on those shallow, smaller, low conductors. BBS units and FBS units have the depth in my opinion which is what I seek on the beach. Personally if I was looking for a new beach unit the new Minelab is worth waiting on. The weight alone is something worth getting excited about.
December 02, 2017 09:01PM
I have a feeling that Impact is running very hot. I like this way, so maybe some cool down programs can work with salty beaches... but VLF is not the best way for this kind of places.
December 03, 2017 03:50AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Noteworthy:
>
> Almost a year ago...... I detected a particular pa
> rk with the Impact. 14-Khz & Sens '97'.
> A few days ago....... I noticed on one side of the
> park......... one powerline cable was removed.....
> .to include all of the wooden power/telephone pole
> s. Soooooooo............ I hunted it again. But.
> ....... this time....... a difference. I was able
> to boost Sens to '98'. . . . . due to a certain pe
> rcentile of EMI reduction. A 45'x70' particular sp
> ot ...yielded 17 more non-ferrous targets.........
> to include a nearly uncirculated 1945 Mercury dime
> . . . . . right at 12" deep. The reduction in EMI.
> ...coupled with a notable Sens boost.,.,.,.,., can
> really make a difference.
>
> ((( Yet, I wonder......... At what depths are the
> 1890's coin drops...... because the park was estab
> lished in 1891. )))

Good post Tom.

My friend Tom and I are on a little road trip detecting desert ghost town/ stage stop sites.
Today I made a very special find that I'll post after we return.
December 03, 2017 10:49AM
Shelton......... yes. And I consider it a critical-function necessity on top-end units....... to have the ability to 'overdrive' the unit in (albeit limited applications) certain locations/applications. This is what can make a unit 'stand out'...... from the rest.
February 21, 2018 09:26PM
I've been wanting to do something for a long time now....... and finally......... all conditions were met........ and I took advantage of the opportunity. I've had a very systematic/methodical plan-of-attack .... with sequence-of-events...... for implementation to.... more specifically test the Impact (and of course.... the Multi-Kruzer)...... in a carpets-of-nails environment. I have performed similar testing before (and reported it); yet, not to such methodical levels..... so as to remove even more variables. I shall spare you the lengthy list of my process.

A 1910 house had been very recently 'lifted'. It was not bulldozed over...... nor burned...... which would leave yet another severe layer of nails to contend with. As it was....... there were still carpets of nails at this site. The little house was 18' x 32'. This would be my restricted hunt area. The dirt was void of any grass. Only the corner structure-support cinderblocks remained. I would (deliberately) forgo nickels...... and seek higher conductor coins.

Tool: Impact. Small elliptical coil.

I started (deliberately with 5-Khz)..... and the falses were audibly disconcerting/crippling. I immediately switched over to 20-Khz. Thirty-one coins were located. ALL were pennies. (I speculate that only small kids played under the house; hence, no dimes. Very small crawl-space). 2 Indian Head pennies...... and 29 Wheats. Most of the wheats were in the 1910's & 1920's. None of the coins were greater than 4" deep. Remember...... these were all under a structure..... mostly removed from mother nature.

I have not said anything yet. I have not taught you anything new yet. Where am I going with this?
I never dug any one of the high-conductor targets....... until I implemented my sole reason for this entire test. I needed a scientific approach to head-to-head test the Impact up against all of it's own options. I used red plastic disks to mark the exact pinpoint location of each/every suspect target.
Discoveries: The Impact could detect quite a few of these 31 targets in 5-Khz. Somewhat of a surprise to me. BUT....... they were audibly 'washed-out'..... not very discernable; yet, by knowing their exact pinpoint location...... I could tell that 14 of the coins existed. One lesson learned here is......... 5-Khz is much more 'high-conductor' resonant; yet, NOT the answer....... in carpets of nails. 14-Khz could detect ALL of the high-conductor coins...... and with better audible discernment. Still...... somewhat 'washed-out' audio; yet, much better than 5-Khz. 20-Khz was extremely sharp/clear audio resolution. MUCH more body-rotation allowed (forgiving)...... exact pinpoint location forgiving..... coil sweep-speed and altitude forgiving. Night & Day. MUCH better at ID'ing iron. ((( Unfortunately..... 20-Khz is much more tuned for iron also. )))
I switched through all of the frequencies well over 200 times in this experiment. I heavily taxed the electromechanical Freq relays under the arm-cup; yet, no problems encountered.
I found all of the coins in DEEP mode (a deep/slow multi-snapshot processing program)...... which may appear to be counterintuitive, .... 20-Khz, Disc '57', no ID 'averaging'...... and Sens on '94'...... EMI conditions dictating. I switched through DI2, DI3, DI4 etc.......
DI2 & DI4 modes provided slightly clearer audio resolution. . . . with DI4 taking a slight lead...... although the audio was short/sharp (almost sounding clipped). DEEP Mode was exceptionally (surprisingly) audibly clear. NO mode presented better performance when lower Freq's were used. NO mode performed better with lower Sens settings. Yes.... there were targets that ID'd in the 60's & 70's; yet, without even looking at the VDI....... coins were so audibly 'clear' that....... when you hit a coin....... you knew what to expect when you did finally decide to look at the ID.

Now....... test is INCOMPLETE unless I were to hunt the area again..... but in DI4 Mode. Only one more coin was located. This is a faster processor mode. (VLX modes interesting...... but no additional gains). This one (wheat) was indeed detectable in other modes; yet, very slightly less audio resolution. I simply missed this one coin.

MAKRO MULTI-KRUZER = Same identical performance! 19-Khz best resolve. Lower Freqs presented too much iron falsing (as to be expected)..... and less 'clear' audio. Kruzer found all 31 + 1 coins....... then no other coins behind the Impact.

Florida dirt!

Nothing to do with detectors; yet/rather: common circulated coins. Four of the pennies were 1909. Two of them were VDB's. (No 'S'). And the other two were simple 1909. Indians were 1906, 1907. Newest penny was a 1936. Kids must have grown-and-gone...... so as to NOT find any newer coins. Not one clad. House was abandoned 11 years ago.
February 21, 2018 09:41PM
Nice report..my kruzer should be here by next week.
February 21, 2018 09:46PM
Nice report. Did you only check in disc modes or did you by chance check in Gen mode also?