Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Impact as I see it from field use

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The Impact as I see it from field use
February 16, 2017 11:29PM
I received my Impact on or about Halloween of 2016 so have had it in Continuous use now for I guess about 3.5 months..

In continuous use I was running it against other unit's and cross checking and giving reports to Alper and Dilek..

I can tell you the aesthetics of the Impact...yet I already did...[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

So there was a Christmas present from then LOL..

I can also add now that I find the Machine to be way more comfortable to use Vs the For units..I couldn't really make that statement then !

But down to Brass tacks...

There is a couple things that really jump out at you on the Impact:

1-the Tonal qualities...there still blendy and bleedy but there more Segmented,Cleaner,Tighter Vs the Racers and the Fors units..alot of work seems to have gone into the audio intelligence..I find Iron work with this Impact to be Very Conveying in terms of intelligence of the audio telling me if I really want to take chance and dig in a sea of iron noise on a depleted site or leave it alone..its very precise..

2-And here's the real kicker to me and I have praised Alper on it .. the Combined MODES...yes I said Combined modes....that is disc and all metal in Unison..

There is one mode called (GEN) and has disc ability in term's of set disc while in an all metal threshold based mode ..so you have the threshold running and then add some disc and as you add disc in will bring a low grunt and high beep on top of the threshold ..like an MXT..So we have a Combined mode...a MXT a Nautilus..I think you see where this is going??

Now there is also a Gen (D) mode..and this one is where i was caught way off guard..I was actually taken back...WHY?? Well it is this a threshold based general search mode...BUT and that's a BIG BUT... You can add disc to it but its not a combined type mode..its a mode where the actual threshold changes pitch..iron goes low tone and non ferrous or where ever you set disc will go higher pitch..its delta so on the really deepies the pitch of ..Notice i said its not combined because its really not its just the allmetal threshold waivers from low to high from the objects conductivity..YOU wont believe the deep minnie balls I pulled out of a site I had already hunted...and they sounded GREAT as all metal usually does but I had the ability to Know they were good by the threshold going higher pitch..there was scattered nails here and picking out deep targets in deep nails is tough when running all metal..well not on the Impact..I could tell a low threshold drop tot he higher threshold rise..Its like running a TDI in the way the tones go low or high in the threshold waiver but in this case its actually discriminating..there is some problems with on extreme depths the tone is hard to tell since its delta if its low pitch or high pitch ...but after talking with Alper that's the way it has to be...BUT it's awesome in what it does..and you also get to have Visual I.D. too in this mode..

I think a DEEP relic hunter in open areas and camp areas will see a real Use of the Mixed modes and for sure the later one I've mentioned..I find that later one to be Nirvana in a hard hunted site where there's some deepies left !

Before I move on into the Iron working and unmasking ability of the Impact I want to talk a minute about the Small coil...this is a new shaped coil for Nokta...its roughly 5x7...and let me tell you its a Great Coil...Its DEEEP and its TIGHT...all in one...epoxy filled lightweight deadly sniper with depth..

So when this coil was seen and put on the first thing I wanted to do was dial in 20Khz and head to the iron..and it did not disappoint...I went to some hard hit areas..and what i found was that the way the audio talks to you on the machine CLEANLY this coil is a match made in heaven...I opted for 2 tone and 99 tone..yes 99 tone!!! and not sure which one I like better....the 99 seems to talk to me better than two for some reason and by this it gives me some real GOOD what I call SQUEAKERS Deep in iron high blips that well JUST MAKE SENSE to dig,.

With this coil and 20 khz combo the machine is to me WORLD class unmasking in shallow to medium say 6 or 7 inch depth...this is in thick machine gun iron nails..Wiht a coil that has more targets under the coil at the moment than say a Racer with OOR5..

And since I mention the Racer to me the Impact Is a Racer with features..and I pointe out the stand out features..

And another Feature is for Modern trash...And something I was told they implemented because I asked for it in a passing statement on the forum...(((YOU THINK ENGINEERS DONT READ FORUMS?))

I envisioned a machine that could separate aluminum trash like we do in Nails..Saying when you notch an item out leave the notched item Hearable but have the Notch become the Lowly iron tone...So by this we can still hear everything and have open audio gate and put that rolling tones to use in some modern trash sites like we do in nails..the trick to unmasking with these units is the blending and rolling of tones not gated starting and stopping audio..So when Notch is set anywhere you like on the spectrum you have the option to use the iron volume to turn the strength of the notched area iron tone up or down in strength..So you can work in say pulltabs and notch them and then notch a beaver tail..then a screw cap..now there iron tone but still there..so we can works through the iron and try and use some of that unmasking ability in the areas that are full of trash..

Very welcome to see!!And hopefully the park hunters will reap rewards from this..it allows no disc selective hunting..hear it all but dig what you like.

theres also the ability to choose Visual I.D. strength have it show only sure and shallow or show deep and maybe iffy if that makes sense...

theres ability to change freq on the fly..I can hear the relay under the elbow as the freq is changed it clicks..5/14/20

It has two forms of ID range..one for relic work and one for coin works...

Boost mode Slows unit down like a BP mode on a F75 or T2...but like those units also in my dirt its not quite as deep as non deep modes....it also has Imask ability or ground filter in any disc mode...and iSAT in all metal modes..

in my 4 bar dirt the F75 still is slightly deeper than the Impact..as is the Fors Relic when disc mode Vs disc mode is in use..Je Mode on F75 is about equal in depth in my soil to a Relic in 3 tone...

Impact in my soil for depth 14 khz is best on coin sized objects..when in iron use 20khz..5khz seems to calm Tin down alot in iron but is more sluggish or less excitable on lwo conductors in iron ...

Stock coil is like a Racer stock..

There's so much to talk about and there's a good many people who have them so I wont keep typing right now..Hopefully others will spread the info too..

but In nut shell.._____

couple of awesome modes..

updatable via internet

Excellent world class unmasking with smallish unique size coil..Yet I've recently seen some Great unmasking from a T2 with small coil thats running mouse quiet that sees a little deeper in the nails than the Impact..BUT a small coil on Impact may solve that,.

Full of options to suit a lot of needs..even a Salt mode yet I didn't get to try it..

touching on the hills of being as deep as a f75 on a dime in my soil at 10 inches...

middle rod can be hard to remove from upper rod at first but as time goes on its gets easier to pull out for coil changes.

Tremendous opportunities to be had with the GEN Delta Mode...For hardcore relic hunting..

Battery life on this unit mid teens ..

Im outta time two hours to write this LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: The Impact as I see it from field use
February 17, 2017 12:24AM
Good report Keith, lots to like about the Impact, seems like a general purpose machine, love the stock and other design features.
When you say it's not as deep as the relic, im guessing it's on par with the racer in your ground?
looking forward to seeing a few video reports.
February 17, 2017 12:42AM
Thanks for the report Keith. The Impact has some intriguing features. It will be fun to see how things unfold over the coming weeks and months for the Impact and (potential) offerings from other manufacturers. I just purchased a t2 Classic (12/16) last week and sharpshooter coil should be here tomorrow. So, I will be following things for a while and see how it all shakes out. But, sounds like in some respects the bar has been raised.
February 17, 2017 12:48AM
Y'all are a bunch of enablers, but I ain't a fall'n fer it.....
February 17, 2017 12:50AM
Interesting unit, thanks for the report, Keith.
February 17, 2017 02:48AM
Good write up Keith

seems we like a few of the same modes and freq/settings but definitely sounds like some differences in soils

in my mostly 1 bar (2 at most in some areas) dirt I can run deep mode in any freq and it punches deep here and at the same time - I can run say Di4 or Di99 in freq 20 and it punches deep too

Deep mode seems like the GMP or a Deus when running GMP mode as for how it sounds and the reactivity/speed of the mode (sorta like that B O I N G / B O N G) type sound with a slightly slower reactivity/speed than other modes the impact offers. Great for coin hunting in cleaner ground for sure (especially in 5 kHz).
February 17, 2017 03:08AM
I'm gonna have to have one for the aluminum trash separating abilities. Atleast that's my excuse for needing another detector. Anyone know the msrp ?

John
February 17, 2017 05:30AM
The Turks do seem to understand the importance of blendy audio vs gated audio is the key to unmasking with VLF. Can't wait to see some videos of the audio in heavy trash, especially aluminum. Thanks for the nice write-up.
February 17, 2017 05:46AM
Thanks for the write up, Keith! Between Tom, MRH, and you, seems y'all were bustin' at the seams to start spreadin' the word on this machine!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 17, 2017 09:24AM
Well after running this thru the grinder (my sometimes errant noggin) and chewing around on the results here's what I would like to see from Notka/Makro.

A new relic machine that uses the 20Khz freq only with the other features/settings of the Impact put in a Racer style ergo package and priced accordingly. This I would definitely buy and could be very popular in the UK and EU countries as well.

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 09:31AM by Jackpine.
February 17, 2017 09:36AM
Nice report Keith.
February 17, 2017 09:52AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good write up Keith
>
> seems we like a few of the same modes and freq/set
> tings but definitely sounds like some differences
> in soils
>
> in my mostly 1 bar (2 at most in some areas) dirt
> I can run deep mode in any freq and it punches dee
> p here and at the same time - I can run say Di4 or
> Di99 in freq 20 and it punches deep too
>
> Deep mode seems like the GMP or a Deus when runnin
> g GMP mode as for how it sounds and the reactivity
> /speed of the mode (sorta like that B O I N G / B
> O N G) type sound with a slightly slower reactivit
> y/speed than other modes the impact offers. Great
> for coin hunting in cleaner ground for sure (espec
> ially in 5 kHz).

liked your intro video, I'm always skeptical when someone says they dug something at 12" (the Indian head penny you mention) so can speak a bit more about that one?
what settings, etc....seems your soil is pretty mild...my R2 is generally 4 bar so I get pretty poor depth here in Ontario....
cheers
February 17, 2017 10:07AM
Thanks Keith & it is also great to know that their engineers are listening to the right people - Respect good sir & thank you once again for your invaluable information - Cheers

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 17, 2017 04:44PM
Keith thanks for your testing and report.

Question for you though - you've mentioned on a few threads here that "we ain't seen nothing yet" - Is this THE machine that you were referring to?

Still thinking FT has something nice coming to the table this year, they're well over due.

hh,
Cal
February 17, 2017 06:37PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Keith thanks for your testing and report.
>
> Question for you though - you've mentioned on a fe
> w threads here that "we ain't seen nothing yet" -
> Is this THE machine that you were referring to?
>
> Still thinking FT has something nice coming to the
> table this year, they're well over due.
>
> hh,
> Cal

Cal, good memory and good question......not sure he'll answer that. If he says no, he may be hampering sales on the Impact. If yes, it would be ok to answer, I would think.
February 17, 2017 10:48PM
I been waiting on this . I want one as im without a machine, I hope to have the money set aside for it. hope the gpx people dont find it all first
thanks Keith
February 18, 2017 01:55AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Keith thanks for your testing and report.
>
> Question for you though - you've mentioned on a fe
> w threads here that "we ain't seen nothing yet" -
> Is this THE machine that you were referring to?
>
> Still thinking FT has something nice coming to the
> table this year, they're well over due.
>
> hh,
> Cal

Hey Brian when I said it I was really intrigued by the threshold change Gen(D) all metal mode and saw it as Something UNIQUE and I also say that in the realm of we are just starting to see digital come of age on detector design..

I'm sure many great things cna be Done digitally in a detector through processing that we just cant envision..

the future looks bright!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 18, 2017 02:07AM
I want to add that Alpers and Team is listening to end users of units and Wanting to Advance design..

They are very hungry to have a Machine to be spoken of as we speak of CZ's and F75's and Deus' and well you get the picture..

the Team wants to become a Relevant contender in the world of Detecting..

and what's special is they are working hard ..

we are at a very Unique stage in detectors evolutionary wise...

MakNok has embraced the End user like not other and I may say pretty much out in the open...TRANSPARENT comes to mind..They Are using the Internet's ability to reach millions to their advantage..a true 21st century Design firm..

The updates Via Internet is also something that is I feel going to be very much part of their advancement forward..

I had a problem with my machine I felt from October till about December in terms of I felt more than acceptable EMI ..well I think it was Update V3 that the machine calmed down ..did not have to send it in just a 30 second patch link and presto it was a different creature..

Things like that or MONSTROUS..and things like make a suggestion an a guy In Turkey can tweak it and give it to you to see if you like it

HUGE..

AND I can envision that as hundreds of units are put into play around the world and things are well for lack of better words Gripped about...I feel Alpers Will be able to dial it in for US..

Instead of a year from now a guy buys a Impact that is Verison say 10...it wont be like when others companys advance their designs..we can get that version 10 in 30 seconds patch link...

Glitchy things can be removed and so on as we go..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 02:15AM by Keith Southern.
February 18, 2017 02:09AM
Keith; does the impact have more punch in all metal mode than disc? The previous units from nokta/makro all seem to have not offered any extra depth over disc.
February 18, 2017 02:12AM
Yes I feel it does Deadlift..

Plus we now have NEW all metal modes...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 18, 2017 02:19AM
Means a lot to me just to see responses from macro/nokta team answer the everyday user on the forums. To me that's huge and I never see garrett, fisher, or minelab answering people's comments and questions. Sure do have a great team. So Keith when u had the emi issue was Nokta able individually able to talk to ur machine and tune it? Or was it just a general update? That would be sick if they could individually tune each users machine to help specific site or style needs. He'll I'd pay extra for that option all yr long. Be like a tuners pack ha ha
February 18, 2017 02:24AM
Well I had mentioned it to Alpers and maybe others had too around the world so I'm thinking in one of the updates it got addressed??

Or who knows maybe a simple Re-flash solved it..??

Im guessing NOW that we are in full digital world detectors a small bit out of sequence may be the fault of most machines..and maybe when you send one in in. that's the first thing they do..... reload programming..

Yet Now we can reload programming ourselves..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 18, 2017 04:21AM
Keith, In reading Tom's comments, it sounds as though the depth in bad soil is a little lacking. Do you think they will be testing for a solution for down load to help this? I'm not sure, as of now, that an Impact will help those of us that have high mineralized soil. Thanks
February 18, 2017 07:41AM
Gen D is for me!
February 18, 2017 07:56AM
That's a good question.
In my ground the R2 got strangled on depth, if the Impact being from the same platform performs the same, there's no way i'd drop my current detector and lose depth just to have more setting to play with.
And we're talking a BIG depth difference in my soil between that platform and the current GM5 im using.

BamaJoe Wrote:
> Keith, In reading Tom's comments, it sounds as tho
> ugh the depth in bad soil is a little lacking. Do
> you think they will be testing for a solution for
> down load to help this? I'm not sure, as of now,
> that an Impact will help those of us that have hig
> h mineralized soil. Thanks
February 18, 2017 07:02PM
Yes George YOU will like the Gen D Mode

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 18, 2017 07:07PM
I would hope so..BUT VLFS are limited in severe dirt in any model..

Not sure there's alot you cna do at times in terms of soil with were we are at right now in Detector Evolution...

One thing that does help is turn the iMask to zero...and on the unit the Imask is its hidden in the iSat settings...in disc its iMAsk and that's a ground filter...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 18, 2017 07:13PM
One thing I really took a liking to in the disc mode on the Imapct is the 99 tones..

its very very reminiscent of DEUS full tones..

Yet maybe a little more refined in the audio work Alper has done..

This is where I cna get some real aas I call them SQEAKERS to come alive in iron...

Super easy to set up to no fiddling with tone breaks..and in a sea of nails the CERTAIN sound of the nails in 99 will beocme your base..background DIN radiation so to speak...then the SQUEAKERS pop out at you..once you here a SQUEAKER you'll know what I mean..also great fro iron relics as they will move up in conductance sound VS the steady nail tone..

It really is my got to mode now for Site work and when using the 4x7 extremely DEADLY..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
February 19, 2017 01:28PM
Hey Keith, I don't think anybody has mentioned if or how the Impact displays the software version (number)?
Maybe I just missed it?
Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 20, 2017 04:41PM
I'm not sure Wayne ..I'll have to see if I can check or maybe Dilek will reply..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla