Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PRE-RELEASE - BRACE FOR IMPACT :-)

Posted by Nokta Detectors 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: PRE-RELEASE - BRACE FOR IMPACT :-)
February 20, 2017 01:37PM
If Nokta do make 'Deep Mode' three-tone, I would ask them to make sure the threshold from 2nd to 3rd tone is plenty low enough, and NOT the US-centric high level between two types of one-cent coin. Probably best to make it a 4-tone mode, something close to how the F75 bands are.
February 20, 2017 01:40PM
Can anyone give me any info on the non motion modes please?
wjs
February 20, 2017 02:20PM

If Nokta do make 'Deep Mode' three-tone, I would ask them to make sure the threshold from 2nd to 3rd tone is plenty low enough, and NOT the US-centric high level between two types of one-cent coin. Probably best to make it a 4-tone mode, something close to how the F75 bands are.

The DI3 mode lets you pick the break points and also set the tone. That would be the way to go. And I agree we need at least 4 tones.
February 20, 2017 02:47PM
That's easy! DEEP Coin mode has 4 tones. DEEP Relic mode has 2 tones. Solved!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 20, 2017 02:56PM
May be a dumb question, but if coin hunters want 3 or 4 tones and relic hunters want 2 tones (maybe some do, maybe some don't), couldn't you have 4 tones available and if someone wants fewer tones, couldn't they set 1 or 2 of the tones to be redundant, ie, same break point and tone frequency as one of the other tones?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

February 20, 2017 05:11PM
Are the online firmware updates provided for PC/Windows only, or are Macs supported?

The battery meter - Does it drop gradually through the life of the batteries, or all at once at the very end of life like the Nokta Relic?
Of course, with battery life being so short, does a battery meter even make sense? Or is there a possibility that a future version will substantially improve battery life?

Thanks.

Pleasant Garden, NC

wjs
February 20, 2017 05:14PM

May be a dumb question, but if coin hunters want 3 or 4 tones and relic hunters want 2 tones (maybe some do, maybe some don't), couldn't you have 4 tones available and if someone wants fewer tones, couldn't they set 1 or 2 of the tones to be redundant, ie, same break point and tone frequency as one of the other tones?

it is possible on some of the modes but not all of them. The tones are not adjustable in the DI4 mode just the break points. In the DI3 the tones and break points are adjustable.
February 20, 2017 05:35PM
I might be out of line here since I haven't used the impact or read the manual but it sounds to be more complex then it needs to be.
I'm all for options but I'm not sure we need 12 Modes. Maybe a few of the modes could have been dropped to make room for the option
to choose how many and what type of tones, tone breaks and notching you want for maybe half that many modes.
Am I missing something here? Probably. I'm a simple man with a simple mind.

Bryan
February 20, 2017 06:47PM
On the topic of battery meters, could a 'mode' be invoked where battery voltage is displayed on the main 88 display? Example: pull the trigger-switch and press the V button, the display shows 5.4 (or 54) for a couple of seconds?

And I'm curious about the non-motion modes, too. I've used them for deep-target / cache-hunting with my F75. I doubt many others have done this, based on the complete absence of replies to my questions, in this forum thread:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
What I think would be good is a non-motion mode with a dedicated "strength" indicator on the 88 VDI display. Something with higher resolution than a 0 - 16 inch depth gauge, say 0 - 50. It would make sense to have an increasing value as signal strength increased. And it also needs to read "negative" values, even though the audio will just stay silent. This is because the threshold will inevitably drift, and the coil height will wander a bit when searching this way, and the audio will not indicate a signal drop, so a visual indicator would help. As a suggestion, a blank display for 'perfect threshold', going to 1,2,3....48,49 for strong signals, and reading -1, -2 ,-3......-9 for falling signal levels.
I found with the F75 that pulling the trigger to reset the threshold to silent, then lowering the coil a small amount to regain a broken threshold worked OK. Just periodically lower/raise the coil to get a feel of where the 'correct' coil height is, using audio only. When the coil has been raised/lowered by more than maybe 2 inches, repeat the threshold calibration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 07:16PM by Pimento.
February 20, 2017 08:52PM
Sounds good to me Pimento, I'd love to see a really well done non motion mode on any new machine.
February 20, 2017 10:25PM
As an additional thought - I like the idea of a disc / all-metal toggle, in both directions, just by a button press-and-hold. This would be good in the deep-target hunting mode I described, as clearly the TID display won't be displaying any ID values, so a button-press to quickly try and get an ID on a target found would work well. We have plenty of big iron in our U.K farm fields, so deep-target hunting can be time-consuming, and things that save digging / time are welcome.
I recall Keith S. likes the disc / all-metal toggle idea, too. Either press-to-switch, press again to switch back.....or press-and-hold for momentary switch.. I like the latter of these. I did devise a mod to my F75 to do disc / AM toggle, but It's a project that's likely to never make it into reality, sadly.
February 21, 2017 07:18AM
Dilek, when will the underwater version of Impact ?
( For underwater search )
February 21, 2017 01:12PM
vfp7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dilek, when will the underwater version of Impact
> ?
> ( For underwater search )

We have not even launched this one yet:-)
February 21, 2017 11:06PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> That's easy! DEEP Coin mode has 4 tones. DEEP Reli
> c mode has 2 tones. Solved!
>
> Wayne

Nokta, I think this would be the smart way to go if you want to accommodate to both relic and coin hunters to get the best use out of DEEP mode. I know there are a lot of other programs so maybe it doesn't seem feasible... but from what I'm reading the DEEP mode is killer and it seems like an extra tone for coin hunters can really make it stand out. Just my opinion though
February 21, 2017 11:08PM
When will the owners/operating manual be available online?
February 21, 2017 11:19PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> DigDugNY Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nokta, please consider implementing 3 or 4 tones
> i
> > n the DEEP mode. If I know one thing, NASA-TOM k
> no
> > ws his stuff and that's one of the requests I sa
> w
> > him ask for the most.
>
> Have to agree with this, not a big fan of detectin
> g in two tone mode.

X3

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
February 21, 2017 11:27PM
By adding 3rd & 4th tone it would just appeal to a larger crowd and make more $$$.
I imagine there are 2-3 times more all around hunters,,coins, jewelry etc. than relic hunters?

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 01:23AM by supertraq.
February 22, 2017 07:34AM
Hello all.
Please note that we do have 3 and 4 tone modes.
The difference between the 4 tone mode and Deep is very minimal - which most users would not mind.
Tom Dankowski is an exceptional tester in every aspect and we made many changes to the device as per his reports (THANK YOU TOM).
So much more can be changed/modified easily but please note that there is a give-n-take situation with every change/move you make in a detector in terms of depth / discrimination / unmaking / tones etc etc.
We choose to optimize the detector for the end users in terms of performance / features / ease of use and pricing.
Thank you!
February 22, 2017 02:50PM
Dilek, I would still recommend to assign a hotkey to quickly switch to a higher frequency than the current one, or in the case of high frequency on the contrary low.
For example, through a long press on any key.
This will allow one quick tap of the button to change the frequency to double-check that the target and back to the operating frequency.
This will be an imitation of simultaneously operating dual-frequency detector ...
BEYOND online firmware updates...
February 22, 2017 04:50PM
Consider firmware updating via the internet as just the starting point.

What if a user could not only upload a factory version of the firmware, but actually design their own version of the firmware?
Either build a custom mode from a pick list of items or select one of the built-in modes and change its configuration.
Selecting an item from the pick list would add the snippet of code for that item to the firmware build.
When the user has completed the selection of "mode attributes" the snippets of code are assembled and that custom configuration is used to create a custom version of the firmware.
The custom configuration could be tested online in a simulator to see if/how it functions, or loaded into the user's machine to be tested by the user.
As a failsafe, the user could always revert to a factory version. (Will old versions of the firmware be archived so as to permit a user to revert to a previous version?)

Please understand I view this level of user customization as a relatively long range offering. But why not?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

Re: BEYOND online firmware updates...
February 22, 2017 05:05PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> Consider firmware updating via the internet as jus
> t the starting point.
>
> What if a user could not only upload a factory ver
> sion of the firmware, but actually design their ow
> n version of the firmware?
> Either build a custom mode from a pick list of ite
> ms or select one of the built-in modes and change
> its configuration.
> Selecting an item from the pick list would add the
> snippet of code for that item to the firmware buil
> d.
> When the user has completed the selection of "mode
> attributes" the snippets of code are assembled and
> that custom configuration is used to create a cust
> om version of the firmware.
> The custom configuration could be tested online in
> a simulator to see if/how it functions, or loaded
> into the user's machine to be tested by the user.
> As a failsafe, the user could always revert to a f
> actory version. (Will old versions of the firmware
> be archived so as to permit a user to revert to a
> previous version?)
>
> Please understand I view this level of user custom
> ization as a relatively long range offering. But w
> hy not?
>
> Wayne

This would work if it was a series of logic based arguments with a wide range of user variables.

ie:

IF (x) is < (y) then (operator)

IF VDI(39) < INCHES(3) THEN NO AUDIO
February 22, 2017 06:33PM
I was thinking Notka could offer the standard firmware v1.08...
But also offer hunt specific versions that are expanded to tailor to specific style of hunt and available on their website for changing anytime.
So if you're a coin hunter only, features are expanded for that style of hunting only... more tones, whatever...
Relic... same thing,
Salt... same
Gold... same
Maybe more... "Keith Special", "Tom D"
User written... someday
February 22, 2017 06:57PM
Maybe some of these 'User-customised' modes might make it into the future "Double Impact", but I suspect most people would prefer the machine to do what they want out-the-box. It's looking like it's offering a competent selection of features, to the point of being too complex for some.
February 22, 2017 09:29PM
Uncle Nudge Wrote:
> I was thinking Notka could offer the standard firm
> ware v1.08...
> But also offer hunt specific versions that are exp
> anded to tailor to specific style of hunt and avai
> lable on their website for changing anytime.
> So if you're a coin hunter only, features are expa
> nded for that style of hunting only... more tones,
> whatever...
> Relic... same thing,
> Salt... same
> Gold... same
> Maybe more... "Keith Special", "Tom D"
> User written... someday

and, drumroll........Canadian Clad, lol
February 23, 2017 02:44AM
Dilek.......... you are welcome. It is always my intent to "push the future...... into NOW". . . . . Via the philosophy of:

If I can Define it,
You can Design it.

((( I define; You Design )))

I know that I may 'frustrate' some folks....... via my heavy 'push' for certain things ..... especially if I am more than just simply passionate about; rather: to the point of 'positive absolut'....... than I will 'push'. . . . . . never meaning to 'anger' anyone (but knowing this is a near-certain unintentional invoked emotion). Future & Success is final/ultimate determinant.
February 23, 2017 03:01AM
Id like to see a small sniper coil..

And it doesn't necessarily have to be DD either..

Maybe a little 4 inch Concentric..BUT a hot one!

That 4x7 is deadly in its own right but in the back of my mind it leaves me guessing on WHAT IF?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 23, 2017 03:05AM
Hey pimento!!

Double Impact....Isn't that a Van Damme movie...???LOL

I also remember Sudden Impact... Clint Eastwood...LOL

I think there's even a Deep Impact Meteor movie out there ...

now that's a detector name Deep Impact!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 03:09AM by Keith Southern.
February 23, 2017 01:27PM
will the different coils be available when the machine comes out or down the road? I asked my dealer for the one with two coils but he don't know what he will get, just said 4 units
February 23, 2017 01:58PM
Metaldetector.com is taking pre-orders for the "pro pack", comes with the two coils. I paid MSRP but also got them to throw in a "Garrett Carrot" for free.
February 23, 2017 02:10PM
Los Alamos Wrote:
> Metaldetector.com is taking pre-orders for the "pr
> o pack", comes with the two coils. I paid MSRP but
> also got them to throw in a "Garrett Carrot" for f
> ree.

CORRECTION - it is NOT metaldetector.com (they are the Makro dealer and will not carry the Impact)
It is www.metaldetectors.com