Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett AT Pro falsing......Solved?

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Garrett AT Pro falsing......Solved?
February 23, 2011 06:23AM
TerraDigger Wrote:
> Crazy me.....What am I thinking????......since
> when do today's "forced beta testers" ever get
> compensated for their time and effort.

There's never a shortage of customers waiting in line to be "the first on the block." They may be beta testers, but they sure ain't forced.
February 23, 2011 07:51PM
It seems Garrett finally issued a statement to their dealers and some dealers are posting it on some sites, the full statement issued by Garrett below:

I guess by the statement Garrett released below some of us are just to AGGRESSIVE HUNTERS and the machine may just be to sensitive for us.

GARRETT AUTHORIZED DEALER PRODUCT UPDATE
This notice is to update you on recent reports of the Garrett AT Pro metal detector “falsing” when the search coil is
twisted or shaken vigorously. Although twisting or vigorous shaking is not considered normal operation of the product
and will not affect the hunting ability of many users, Garrett believes it is important to address our customers’
concerns. Garrett recognizes that this characteristic may be a factor for a select group of operators who hunt aggressively,
and we want to ensure that all customers are pleased with the product.
This situation has been the source of forum postings which have caused unnecessary concern with some customers.
Some of the “tests” being used are not representative of what is required by someone using the product for normal
hunting. In fact, many AT Pro users are posting to the forums with their finds and their positive operational experiences
in the field. Garrett has implemented a modification to eliminate this operating characteristic. Many of the early AT Pro
models, as reported by Garrett customers, have not shown any signs of this characteristic. For any customer with
an early model who believes that his or her machine can be improved with the modification, Garrett is prepared to
modify their machine. All they need to do is contact Garrett Customer Service and send in their detector to the factory
for the modification.
Please be aware that the AT Pro is a very sensitive detector with a very active audio – especially in the Pro mode. Remember
that detection signals produced when the detector is stationary and when swinging in a normal fashion are
not related to this characteristic and will not be improved by sending the detector in. (See the test procedure below.)
For Dealers’ Current AT Pro Inventory:
If you have AT Pro’s in stock, contact Garrett Customer Service and we will advise you whether the detector is an
earlier production model. If this is the case, the dealer will be allowed to return the new equipment to the factory for
replacement.
Information for your Customers:
Please ask them to contact the factory if they have concerns or questions about their detectors. In some cases the
concerns will prove to be unrelated to the operating characteristic being addressed. A discussion with our Customer
Service staff may be able to aid them without the need for returning the detector.
A simple test can be performed to determine if a customer should send his AT Pro to the factory. The test must be
performed outside, away from electrical interference and in an area that is free from detectable metallic objects. Set
the detector in one of the Zero discrimination modes at maximum sensitivity. If the detector sounds off while NOT
moving, then there is excessive electrical interference, and the test cannot be performed at that location.
To determine if the ground is free from detectable metallic objects, scan the detector over the test area at a moderately
slow pace (1 to 2 feet per second). If the detector sounds off, then there are detectable items in the ground and the
test cannot be performed at that location. Once a proper location has been identified, scan the area at your normal
scan speed. The detector should be stable with possibly an occasional sound that would not interfere with detector
operation. If the detector sounds off excessively due to rapid motion, then the customer should contact the factory for
assistance.
Best regards,
James Hurst,
Vice President, Director of Sales & Marketing
February 23, 2011 08:33PM
Good! It sounds like they are addressing it... if they are addressing it, they are acknowledging there was a problem.

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
February 23, 2011 09:52PM
Talked to Garrett and the rep told me all the new machines being sent out now have been fixed of all the issues. We should be good to go from now on out. I also hear the turnaround rate is 3-4 days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 11:47PM by Stoopstroop.
February 23, 2011 10:01PM
I read a post calling it a silent recall like car makers do.
Offer to fix the problem even if its because you
are overly aggressive with your unit.
Very good of them.
February 23, 2011 10:21PM
Nothing at all was mentioned about what the ACTUAL problem was ....... What were us agressive hunters doing to the unit to make this happen ? ......What did we break or screw up when we did this ? ......If we were the cause , why not tell us what we did wrong and why we made this machine false like it did , and what was done to correct what WE MADE happen ? ....While I applaud Garrett for fixing the problem , this letter is making the supposed agressive hunters that use this product the bad guy !!..........Why was nothing mentioned about scrubbing the coil on a rough surface like so many hunters do in order to get better depth from their detector which is common practice ....Twisting the coil agressively is not the only issue with this falsing problem !!..... Anyone scrubbing the rough ground will hear falsing also !!....Is THIS being an agressive hunter ? ..... Again , I'm glad theyre fixing the AT Pro , but it was not US who caused the problem to begin with , and I'm not buying it !!.....Jim
February 23, 2011 10:58PM
And if i am not a aggressive hunter i guess i am all set ?

Buy phrasing it like that , thy wount have them all sent back at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2011 11:02PM by gman.
February 23, 2011 11:03PM
I appreciate the statement (finally) coming from Garrett-----but, it's sounds like a little bit of "passing the buck".------Those units were/are "problem units"--not "problem detectorists".------Remember what Harry Truman used to say?--"the buck stops here"------It would be really nice if SO MANY of these manufacturers would adapt that same stance (especially when there is a legitamite problem out there).
February 23, 2011 11:22PM
" If you can't dazzle them with brilliance , baffle them with B.S. " .........
February 23, 2011 11:43PM
synthnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " If you can't dazzle them with brilliance ,
> baffle them with B.S. " .........

Ain't that the truth.
February 24, 2011 12:30AM
First; It is understood that 'wiggling' the coil in the air...is not a "normal" way of detecting; rather, is deliberately one (of a few) indices for the verification/validation of a 'potential' problem.

Secondly; (and what I consider to be the original 'show-stopper' issue)......Does the coil require a few inches air-gap above the ground.......so as to prevent 'reactivity' to the ground; subsequently, ID'ing deep targets as 'iron'. Lifting the coil a few inches off of the ground........and the target (will now) properly resolve (ID). This is assuming ........(((with the added air-gap)))....... the coil is not out of detectable range of the target.

Third; I "question" one of the 'fix' answers; that being a loose/bad connection on the control-head coil connector. When the problem still occurs with the coil removed from the stem/shaft (now holding the entire detector 'stationary'......including most of the coil wire)........and moving ONLY the coil........(completely independent of the detector)........and the problem still exists..............this is a good indication that the problem is isolable to only the coil.

BUT.......the bottom line is: If resolution acquisition has been ascertained with the unit.......a new (potential) TREMENDOUS performer is now on the market! Truthfully, I don't care about the "before" nickel-and-dime issues.............but............rather........... the "after" end-resultant! I'm willing to take a 'ton of heat'... to get to where we are today.
February 24, 2011 01:22AM
Bet ya guys didn't know this.......Tom D. purchased a surplus NASA asbestos suit years ago....for the sole purpose of weathering forum firestorms coming in his direction. smiling smiley
February 24, 2011 01:09PM
Perhaps I should send him a P.M. to find out where to order ? ...........

" Third; I "question" one of the 'fix' answers; that being a loose/bad connection on the control-head coil connector. When the problem still occurs with the coil removed from the stem/shaft (now holding the entire detector 'stationary'......including most of the coil wire)........and moving ONLY the coil........(completely independent of the detector)........and the problem still exists..............this is a good indication that the problem is isolable to only the coil. "

THIS was what I was trying to show in my video ......Everyone that even commented on this was referring to my coil pointing over it's own coil wire , hence the falsing ? .......Far be it from me to follow that logic !!....My coil wire and coil was in the same projectory location as it was when it was hooked up to the shaft !!.... .....The only differnce was that it was off of the shaft , and was zip tied so that the coil wire could NOT MOVE on the shaft !!.....The only thing that was moving , was the coil and about 8 inches of cable ....... Any fix short of the coil , and I will video tape a public apology to Garrett and post it on every forum !!.... As far as I am concerned , blaming the consumer for problems of the AT Pro is nothing more than a slap in the face and an insult to the intellegence of the detector community !!....Thank God that we have this forum to become more educated consumers and to be able to speak our peace without being run over by corporate America ....Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 01:20PM by synthnut.
February 24, 2011 08:28PM
a "public relations " snafu!"..he!..he!..he!
c'mon charlie!..agressive detectorist?..(hot damn!)

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Re: Agressive Detectorist
February 24, 2011 11:35PM
Yeah....that phrase made me wonder what the marketing dept knows about real life detecting. Hell, I have been twisting coils like Synthnut demo'd for years, when I am searching the base of a large tree, hilly terrain, walls or underneath bushes/foliage. Maybe the warrning disclaimer slip, "to always keep the coil perfectly horizontal with the ground" wasn't packed in Synth's detector box.smiling smiley