Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any Impact testers strictly park coinshooters?

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any Impact testers strictly park coinshooters?
February 19, 2017 04:40AM
It seems like all the testers are relic hunters , which isn't a bad thing, but has anyone tested it in the parks?
Re: Any Impact testers strictly park coinshooters?
February 19, 2017 05:36AM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems like all the testers are relic hunters ,
> which isn't a bad thing, but has anyone tested it
> in the parks?

Same results I am waiting for. Looking to how consistant and steady target ID numbers are, bottle cap recognition, nickel vs pulltab vs foil, etc.
February 19, 2017 05:50AM
I'll have a post with info and pics/etc in a day or 2 on a "coin only" hunt that I did in the same kind of conditions that you encounter in a park (foil, tabs, etc). It was out behind a bar in a strip of grassy area approx. 40x100 ft and I dug over 100 coins in 4 hrs

We just received Version 1.08 for testing before release which normalized the VDI/#'s now in all 3 freq. whereas when I did the test/hunt at the place I dug all the coins I was still running V 1.05 and the #'s were different in each freq. for a quarter, dime, nickel, penny, etc. so I have to test the update now out before I can give a full report/accurate info in this type of scenario.

Stay tuned and I'm sure wjs (Bill) has some info on park hunting as well as maybe someone else here (not sure on that one).
wjs
February 19, 2017 12:26PM
I have tested it mostly in parks so far. As a coin hunter it works real good and really seems to find the coins in the trash. I really like the small football coil. Its 4.5 x 7 I believe. Sometimes deeper pull tabs will hit in the coins area (in 5K anyway) but the target ID seems to be fairly accurate. I tested it yesterday in a super trashy area of a park by a pavillion. I was pulling coin after coin out of the area even in the midst of all the trash. The secret in places like that is to go real slow. It really seems to lock onto the coins. With the small coil I did not have much of a problem with rusty bottlecaps, I dug one but I think it was just in the hole with the coin or other trash. The small coil seems to hit rusty bottlecaps real low on the scale like in the 20's range and the number jumped around a lot so you knew it was junk. It seems to have fairly good depth especially in the 5khz mode.

To be a really good trashy park hunter to me it needs a few more tone breaks in some of the programs with the ability to adjust the tone. The DI4 mode has the tone breaks but you can not adjust the audio. The DI3 mode has 2 break points and 3 tones that can be adjusted and I have came up with a way that works for me. I run my disc up to right before nickel, set my first tone break right after nickel, set my second tone break right before zinc. Then I set the first zone with a higher tone, second zone with the lowest tone, and the third zone a high tone. this way my nickels and zinc targets and above hit with a high tone. All others hit with a lower tone. After we get the go ahead to release some videos I will try to post some. They just released v 1.08 so I will have to get out and make some videos with that firmware. I have a few already made but they were made with the older firmware but you can still see how it operates.
February 19, 2017 03:40PM
Is it magic? Can it tell gold from aluminum?
February 19, 2017 05:08PM
WJS, when you were hunting next to the pavilion, what kHz were you running?
February 19, 2017 06:56PM
shoveler Wrote:
> Is it magic? Can it tell gold from aluminum?

Oh puulleeease let's not go there ! haha

As for the OP's question: I too will be wondering the same thing. And hopefully when cal-cobra gets his, he'll let me torture him with side-by-side flagged signal tests.

In park turf hunting, most guys will want to reject foil and even tabs (assuming they're not angling for gold jewelry that is). So when trying to sniff out old silver and copper coins, you want a machine that can A) Give good ID's at depth (for when you have a target sitting solo alone), and/or cool smiley good see-through averaging ability (for when tab or foil is next to, or on top of, a high conductor tone).

The Explorers are good at objective A. But not necessarily at objective B. So for example, if I were hunting hardpan ground under bleachers (where coin are not necessarily deep, yet tabs and foil abound), I would reach for a 2 filter Tesoro. Like a silver sabre, or shadow x2, etc.... Then .... although they lack TID, yet when you set the disc. to *just* knock out round tabs, then you'll find that when tabs are mixed with coins, the TID gets up-averaged enough to tell you a coin is there. Whereas the Explorer, being a power-house deep-seeker, is not necessarily good in that dept.

So if this Impact can be set up to essentially dial back and forth between different objectives along these lines, then yes, I wonder how it would be in junky park hunting scenarios .
February 19, 2017 07:00PM
And for any of you with the Impact so far: In-so-far as the objective of deep silver (targets sitting alone, so not a test of masking or averaging): If you have the mid-size coil on there, and if you have your settings set up for low frequency (which favors high conductors): What is the depth on a silver dime in an air test ?
February 19, 2017 08:52PM
I have to post a photo of a find of silver that had iron mixed in the hole..The great thing about this is I never found a coin like this until yesterday...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
wjs
February 19, 2017 11:40PM

WJS, when you were hunting next to the pavilion, what kHz were you running?

5 KHZ
February 20, 2017 01:16AM
wjs Wrote:
>

WJS, when you were hunting next to the pavi
> lion, what kHz were you running?
>
> 5 KHZ

I guess this means it can't tell gold from aluminumthumbs up
Oh well , interest gone.
February 20, 2017 01:18AM
No machine will tell you that if you don't dig it you won't know..I have found a lot of gold rings just by digging in the areas I know people could lose a ring

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

February 20, 2017 01:30AM
That's true Lawrenzo which is why I had hopes this would be a machine that really had some IMPACT but unfortunately it is evidently just another repackaging of existing technology with some nuances to get people excited about the same old stuff , like adding sugar to Oreo dirt cake or something like that.

i just wanted to see if one of you testers would claim it had an exclusive "gold tone" , "like nothing you've ever seen before" smiling smiley
February 20, 2017 01:42AM
I feel the detecting designers have been at their wits end to make something revolutionary...but for us relic hunter the deus and the impact have really helped us by unmasking and that is a huge part of what is needed with hunting. The deus just released V4 and they refined some of the programs and added some changes. Our hobby is a tough hobby because we have to deal with so much in the ground. It has come a long way and the new small coil with the impact really lets us hunt a lot of places we couldn't before. The deus I still feel needs a small coil. I think the impact is going to be a great coin hunter if you read what Tom posted he loves it and can push it to go a bit deeper. And the two new all metal programs are the best I have used in any machine.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 20, 2017 01:58AM
All true and all relatively immaterial if you're not a relic hunter or don't have sites available with old or silver coins and the most viable prey has to be precious metals , gold and silver jewelry in trashy modern parks and venues. Impact offers nothing new in those area evidently over other fast recovery machines which unfortunately give way to high discrimination machines with just good recovery.

Still hoping for the Holy Grail and the Impact doesn't appear to be it . If it was the testers wouldn't be posted , they'd be harvesting the bounty.smiling smiley
I guess I'll get the Mojave as those dealers say it's "THE ONE."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 01:59AM by shoveler.
February 20, 2017 02:01AM
Sounds like you got it

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]