Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro Mojave magic?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro Mojave magic?
February 19, 2017 01:38PM
I am interested in playing around with one of these machines but I am thinking the magic is mainly in the 7" coil and the ED 180 disc. I watched Tabmans video and I dug my old Big Box Bandido II out of the closet with 8" concentric coil attached. I layed out rusty nails exactly like he had in his video and my Bandido II was able to hit the coin just like the Mojave maybe with just a slight slower sweep speed. I think the reason I had to slow my sweep speed down compared to his sweep speed was due to mine having the 8" coil. I love my old Bandido II it was the first metal detector I ever bought when I started detecting and it still performs like the day I got it new. Actually I am heading out in a few minutes with it to relive some old memories of using it. I may still eventually get a Mojave just to give one a whirl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 01:40PM by 88junior.
Re: Tesoro Mojave magic?
February 19, 2017 02:09PM
When I read the specs of the Mojave the first day it was announced I called Rusty immediately and he happened to have a case of them to sell so I ordered one. Everyone who has had extensive time with Tesoro machines over the years and has spent any time with the Compadre knows it is a machine that performs well above its price range. I don't know what it is, maybe the 12khz, maybe the fairy dust they sprinkle on them. Most people have found enough gold and clad to pay for theirs many times over. My Mojave acts and sounds just like my 8in compadre but much deeper and the mineral switch makes it all the better to work in the bad ground where I live. I could never get past 4 to 5 in with my 8in Compadre, now with this I'm getting down to the 6 to 7 in range 8n my soil, opening up a whole new layer. Compadres are fun to use, this thing is a blast. I took the thing to an old rail camp that I have pounded with the Deus, Relic, Tejon, Bandido2 micromax, Vaquero, F75 and many more and thus thing found a 1898injun at 6in and a sterling silver and pearl ring at 4 in that I am pretty sure the rest of my machines had been over. Magic
February 19, 2017 02:20PM
Don't be spreading this around because it could be just a rumor, I heard that Tesoro just hired a beautiful 21 year old virgin girl. Her only job is to sprinkle magic fairy dust on the circuit board as the Mojave comes down the assembly line. I'm a little suspect about the 'virgin' part of the story though, but for only $251.10 shipped with a lifetime warranty I took a chance and the rest is history. winking smiley

tabman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 02:26PM by tabman.
February 19, 2017 03:03PM
Well that explains it Tabman. LOL have you tried that coil on your other Tesoro detectors doing the same test?
February 19, 2017 03:10PM
88junior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well that explains it Tabman. LOL have you tried t
> hat coil on your other Tesoro detectors doing the
> same test?

No I haven't tried the 7 inch search coil on any other detector. I've been way too busy swinging the Mojave. It's so additive and so much fun to use that it's hard to put down.

tabman
February 19, 2017 03:36PM
Well let us know if and when you decide to try it on another machine. I know 251.00 is a wonderful price on a new machine but if I can get the same magic out of a machine I already own just by purchasing a new coil for it I'd rather go that route and save some money. By the way congrats on the gold coin necklace charm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 03:55PM by 88junior.
February 19, 2017 05:35PM
It's not magic but a nice little detector for the money.
Think of it as a modded Compadre with more depth, a ground condition switch and a new coil.
It performed no better on a nail board test than my Amigo II, Bandido uMax or Conquistador.

Bryan
February 19, 2017 08:07PM
Bryan was you using the coil that came on the Mojave when you did the test?
February 19, 2017 08:20PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> It's not magic but a nice little detector for the
> money.
> Think of it as a modded Compadre with more depth,
> a ground condition switch and a new coil.
> It performed no better on a nail board test than m
> y Amigo II, Bandido uMax or Conquistador.
>
> Bryan

Bryan, thanx much for the input. For places (ghost-townsy sites) where the objective is combatting iron masking, then depth becomes a lesser-issue. NOT that someone wouldn't "want more deplth", but that often-time it's intrinsic that any time you add more depth, it costs you in the iron-see-through department of things.

So if your analysis is correct, then this will add nothing more to those who are wanting a machine to deal with iron.
February 20, 2017 01:24AM
88junior Wrote:
> Bryan was you using the coil that came on the Moja
> ve when you did the test?

Yes I used the new 7" coil that came with the Mojave on all detectors excep the Amigo II that has its own
hard wired 7" Coil. I have the Amigo II listed on Treasure Clasifieds right now.

Bryan
February 20, 2017 01:42AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cabin Fever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> Bryan, thanx much for the input. For places (gho
> st-townsy sites) where the objective is combatting
> iron masking, then depth becomes a lesser-issue.
> NOT that someone wouldn't "want more deplth", but
> that often-time it's intrinsic that any time you a
> dd more depth, it costs you in the iron-see-throug
> h department of things.
>
> So if your analysis is correct, then this will add
> nothing more to those who are wanting a machine to
> deal with iron.

To be fair, I want to make clear my testing was done indoors on Monte's Nail board.
I'm still staring at snow at my place so I can't get out for real world testing.
I shipped my Mojave off to Keith so he can test it since he is working on a Cibola of mine anyway.
They can share the ride home in the same box after he's done with them.
Keith should be able tell us if there is anything different going on inside the Mojave.

My observation is that there is nothing extra special going on inside the Mojave except a little more juice and the new ground switch.
My Bandido uMax could pass the test with a faster sweep speed but did not have quite the punch of the Mojave or Conquistador.
It was very sensitive to small gold. 2 1/2" on a 2.5 Grain (not gram) nugget. Not bad for a silent search sub $300 detector.
Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 01:44AM by Cabin Fever.
February 20, 2017 02:10AM
I bought a Bandido 2 µMax, I liked it but sold it, I bought a couple of Eldorado detectors (µMax style), I liked them but sold them, I bought a Conquistador, I liked it but sold it. I have a Compadre that gets little use now, so I may end up selling it. I bought the Mojave and there's noway that I'm selling it. PERIOD!

If I could only have one of the detectors that I mentioned above, I'd pick the Mojave without giving it a second thought, because it has good depth and has the sensitivity of the Compadre. The audio tone and response is also better. That Injun can hunt and it's super fun to use. It's does an excellent job at finding both silver coins and gold jewelry.

tabman
February 20, 2017 04:44AM
Throw in a faster recovery speed the Mojave has over the older model.
February 20, 2017 09:00AM
Alpha Goat Wrote:
> Throw in a faster recovery speed the Mojave has ov
> er the older model.

I did not observe a faster recovery speed with the Mojave over my older model Tesoro's.
My Bandido uMax was noticeably faster. The Mojave did have a depth advantage Over the Amigo II
and Bandido though.. My Conquistador was deeper then the Mojave but on par with the nail board testing.

Another noticeable difference is how quiet the Mojave is. Dead silent at full sensitivity inside the house.
Makes you wonder if their is more untapped horse power under the hood or if they just improved EMI performance.

Bryan
February 20, 2017 11:08AM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Alpha Goat Wrote:
> -----
> > Throw in a faster recovery speed the Mojave has
> ov
> > er the older model.
>
> I did not observe a faster recovery speed with the
> Mojave over my older model Tesoro's.
> My Bandido uMax was noticeably faster. The Mojave
> did have a depth advantage Over the Amigo II
> and Bandido though.. My Conquistador was deeper th
> en the Mojave but on par with the nail board testi
> ng.
>
> Another noticeable difference is how quiet the Moj
> ave is. Dead silent at full sensitivity inside th
> e house.
> Makes you wonder if their is more untapped horse p
> ower under the hood or if they just improved EMI p
> erformance.
>
> Bryan

You hit the nail squarely on the head, the Mojave gives you a super quiet ride, no EMI issues. Add to that its extra depth and it being so super sensitive to small low conductor targets makes it a hell of micro gold jewelry detector. The Mojave will knock your socks off when you swing the search coil over a larger gold ring. Also even using the small 7 inch search coil it's really good at finding silver coins up to 7 inches or so in my mild soil. I'm not a relic hunter per say, but I would think that the Mojave would be great at recovering old buttons and coins at nail laden sites. Also keep in mind that the Mojave is a ED180 and the Bandido II µMax, Eldorado, and Conquistador are all ED120. All are good detectors, but for me, l like using the Mojave a lot better. The Mojave is additive and is super fun to use. I'm even thinking about getting a backup Mojave.

tabman
June 28, 2017 10:24PM
"Hi, can I ask a question?
Several months in, are those who liked, loved, praised the Mojave still enchanted with it?
Any shortcomings? Pin point issue, whatever happened with that?"
June 29, 2017 12:32AM
Des D Wrote:
> "Hi, can I ask a question?
> Several months in, are those who liked, loved, pra
> ised the Mojave still enchanted with it?
> Any shortcomings? Pin point issue, whatever happen
> ed with that?"

Yep, I still LOVE mine!

tabman
June 29, 2017 02:10AM
I see now the 7" Mojave coil is available as a accessory coil. Keith Wills said it is a Reworked Hot version of The Old Shadow X2 Super 7 coil?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 02:15AM by Harold,ILL..
June 29, 2017 02:11AM
Dixiedigger put one of those Precision 7 coils on his Silver Sabre Plus.
He said it was very hot, stable, deep, and he said it performed better than
an early "white", thin, open center, 8" coil. And those are great coils.
Oh, an he said it was especially sensitive.

I tried a Precision 7 coil on my Euro Sabre. I was more than impressed!
Possibly the best set up I have put together of all the Tesoros and Tesoro coils I have ever owned.

First I took the Euro Sabre out wit a Troy Super 7 on it.
Worked great, I loved it.

Then I tried the Precision 7 coil, worked perfect, that combination is now a favorite of mine.

Some coins and some other stuff, and a Mt. St Helen's emerald mounted in a sterling silver ring.
(Wheeler Manufacturing, thanks to someone here who recognized the makers mark)

So far so good

SandMan
June 29, 2017 02:21AM
Man I may have to get one for My Golden uMax.
I wonder if it would Mess with the Tones?
Its plenty Hot with the Brown donut.
I tried a 10. 5 " Concentric on it and the Tones were all over the place? I here You can go down in coil size with a Fixed GB , But not up?
June 29, 2017 02:39AM
Harold
You can go down in coil size with a Fixed GB , But not up?.

It all depends on the ground Harold.
Rusty can tell you pretty much what areas can swap coils around without problems.
He claims that California is a place where swapping coils around can bring poor result.

The answer of course is adjustable ground balance.
If the machine has it, you can swap coils around all you want.

That is when I sought out that B1 High Power.
It has a switch, manual ground balance - adjustable ground balance.
The black 8" coil that they shipped it with was tuned to the manual side,
for my area, and for the type of searching I do.

Harold, consider having Pentechnic add an adjustable ground balance to your machine.
They are a Tesoro approved repair house.
Any mod they do stays if the machine ever winds up at Tesoro factory for a repair or tune.

Pentechnic

Maybe have them put a switch so you can have manual and adjustable ground balance.
June 29, 2017 03:13AM
Thanks Sandman, But My ground is Mild and My Golden is the New Tone version. They did not Make many so pretty rare and would like to leave original. Also it's a Hot One, in My ground I am Hitting 9" Coins with the Proper High tone. That's with Brown Donut Coil. Its Tabman's Old Machine and it's a Goodun'.
June 29, 2017 12:39PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Thanks Sandman, But My ground is Mild and My Golde
> n is the New Tone version. They did not Make many
> so pretty rare and would like to leave original. A
> lso it's a Hot One, in My ground I am Hitting 9" C
> oins with the Proper High tone. That's with Brown
> Donut Coil. Its Tabman's Old Machine and it's a Go
> odun'.

It would be a sin to change anything on that detector. Not only does it get great depth on silver coins, it will nail gold rings if set up properly. It more than paid for itself when I owned it. If the town that I live in had not banned digging in its parks and sports fields, you would have never gotten that detector. LINK

tabman
June 29, 2017 08:13PM
"Can anyone quantify if the amount of 'on edge' coins has unexpectedly increased with the Mojave?"
June 29, 2017 08:47PM
Des D Wrote:
> "Can anyone quantify if the amount of 'on edge' co
> ins has unexpectedly increased with the Mojave?"

Tesoro's have always been good picking up "Canadian clad" on edge coins. As long as you do not set your disc control to high, as they fall in the iron ID range.
The 180 will find more over the 120 disc detectors. Most people up here set disc control too high to pick up the edge clad. So they leave a lot of coins behind.

Regarding US coins, you'll have to have a US member respond.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
June 29, 2017 10:46PM
Harold, normally there's no problems swapping coils in mild ground.
It's mineralized ground that makes swapping coils a catch can.

You should call and talk to Rusty.
Maybe there is an issue with the coil that didn't act right when you tried it.

Harold
Thanks Sandman, But My ground is Mild and My Golden is the New Tone version. They did not Make many so pretty rare and would like to leave original. Also it's a Hot One, in My ground I am Hitting 9" Coins with the Proper High tone. That's with Brown Donut Coil. Its Tabman's Old Machine and it's a Goodun'.
August 18, 2018 02:38PM
As an addendum in most cases the coil has to tuned to the unit you are using with Tesoro's....
August 18, 2018 03:15PM
tabman Wrote:
> Don't be spreading this around because it could be
> just a rumor, I heard that Tesoro just hired a bea
> utiful 21 year old virgin girl. Her only job is to
> sprinkle magic fairy dust on the circuit board as
> the Mojave comes down the assembly line. I'm a lit
> tle suspect about the 'virgin' part of the story t
> hough, but for only $251.10 shipped with a lifetim
> e warranty I took a chance and the rest is history
> . winking smiley
>
> tabman

outrageous,low priced,quality,"sleeper".who says ya gotta spend the "slush" fund to buy
a detector that finds a ton of good stuff?..it ain't all about "bells and whistles!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 18, 2018 03:57PM
jmaryt Wrote:
> tabman Wrote:
> -----
> > Don't be spreading this around because it could
> be
> > just a rumor, I heard that Tesoro just hired a b
> ea
> > utiful 21 year old virgin girl. Her only job is
> to
> > sprinkle magic fairy dust on the circuit board a
> s
> > the Mojave comes down the assembly line. I'm a l
> it
> > tle suspect about the 'virgin' part of the story
> t
> > hough, but for only $251.10 shipped with a lifet
> im
> > e warranty I took a chance and the rest is histo
> ry
> > . winking smiley
> >
> > tabman
>
>
> outrageous,low priced,quality,"sleeper".who says y
> a gotta spend the "slush" fund to buy
> a detector that finds a ton of good stuff?..it ain
> 't all about "bells and whistles!"
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

I can't complain, the Mojave more than paid for itself right out of the gate. The Compadre is great, but the Mojave is much better so I sold the my wonderful Compadre. LINK

tabman
August 18, 2018 04:20PM
If you like a Mojave with that 7 inch coil, a Multi Kruzer with 7 inch coil will rock your world.

The Mojave I had, failed to hit any single target in my test garden, consisting of coins and relics from 6 inches on down to 13 inches. I didn't expect a 7 inch coil machine to get the deeper targets but was expecting at least a signal on a 6 inch large cent coin. Nope, nadda. This is in mild soil at my house and not in severe mineral. It ran super quiet though; it just lacked the little boost of umph I was hoping for. The Kruzer with 7 inch concentric wont hit the 10-13 inch deeper targets either but can indeed hit the 6 and 7 inch targets and works much better in iron, from what I've experienced in the field. Of course there is quite a gap in price difference between those two.