Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Impact - modes rationale?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nokta Impact - modes rationale?
February 19, 2017 01:50PM
I think it can safely be said that the Impact with its 3 freqs and numerous modes and settings is a fairly complex machine.

Would appreciate it if some of the testers will speak to the basic rationale, ie, reason for being, of the various modes.
What detecting scenario each is specifically designed for, and what is incorporated into that specific mode that makes it best under those conditions.

Has anybody seen a User Manual for the Impact yet? Does the manual go into any depth in answering these questions?

I understand that once experience is gained with the Impact, numerous modes may be employed in any detecting scenario, but hopefully there is some basic rationale to the modes
that provides a starting point for the user prior to gaining that experience.

Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: Nokta Impact - modes rationale?
February 19, 2017 09:12PM
I think Tom is writing the manual and he knows the machine inside and out being he has built the CZ3D. We were not given much info on the different programs except the 2 all metal programs and a lite sprinkling of the other programs. What they want for the most part is what would we like changed and why. Is the machine locking up or not responding when making changed. A lot of the testing is kind of a blind test for us and if you don't use notch and tone break you kind of have to experiment with those settings to understand how they work. I like D3 right now...Some programs let you have access to all setting some don't. Some of the programs are for the most part the same program but with different tones. I would rather be able to pick in a menu my own tones like the deus. But as I have said before once you understand the machine it is really simple to make adjustments on the fly. You do really get more than one detector in this machine so just like the deus you can try different programs and teak them and save them. I think the all metal programs one with boost may be a program I will use more on this machine for finding deep targets.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 19, 2017 09:27PM
I feel rather lost reading these reviews/reports, as I'm unable to read the User Manual to find out what it does/not do.
I hope the finished manual is a good one, it would be a shame to release a high-end detector with an 'average' manual.
February 20, 2017 08:32AM
Hello all.
We have finished the manual and I am currently translating it.
FYI - Tom is not writing the manual, we are. We just asked testers their feedbacks with a few tables.
Sorry guys it is taking time but I am doing my best to finish it with everything else I am in charge of.
February 20, 2017 08:36AM
Nokta Detectors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all.
> We have finished the manual and I am currently tra
> nslating it.
> FYI - Tom is not writing the manual, we are. We ju
> st asked testers their feedbacks with a few tables
> .
> Sorry guys it is taking time but I am doing my bes
> t to finish it with everything else I am in charge
> of.

I'm happy to help proof the manual to avoid any errors like the Racer 2 English edition manual had when initially released.

-Cal
February 20, 2017 09:23AM
ncwayne

to add a little to this thread here -- like Lowboy said, as a field tester = I/we/you are not given a "manual" to use/go by in field testing. You basically are given some very basic info to get started and handed a machine and then go out and figure everything out on your own as you go.

That being said, and being a very versatile type machine, as also mentioned, the Impact is like owning several machines in one. If you want to hunt gold nuggets in the desert/mountain regions you can pick from a couple of the all metal/static modes, if you want to hunt coins in a modern trash filled park/like setting or hunt for gold/jewelry on a beach, you have a couple of programs to pick from for each and can tweak them via (notching, tones depending on selected mode, etc), if you want to hunt relics in iron infested sites/camps, etc you can select Di2/3 and set it up like the Fors Relic

additionally, they have added modes like Di4 and Di99 which are an "old/nail site" coin hunters dream (works for relics too) for sifting thru the nails/iron (especially Di99), and then there's the "mixed mode" that is threshold based all metal with the ability to bring the disc. in --- to ignore/block out metals you're not looking for by making those a low/iron like tone mixed in with a higher 2nd tone for all metals above the disc setting you choose.

Add to that the ability to choose between 3 freq. and the ability to tweak each mode in certain ways (some in some ways and others in other ways) and you've got a "site/condition" specific machine to use to your advantage per site/conditions.

Basically you don't have to buy/own/bring 2 or 3 different machines with you to search for the targets you're seeking in one or more type of site/s through the course of a day/week/month, and can adjust the machine to hunt for whatever you're looking for at each site in/under different conditions. That's the beauty of and concept of this unit.

Hope this helps a bit,

MRH
February 20, 2017 10:42AM
On the subject of literature, I notice Nokta's publicity describes the Impact as "Multi Frequency". Within the Metal Detecting industry, this term is reserved for equipment that uses more than one frequency at a time, and not selectable single-frequency machines. It would be better if they used the term "Triple Frequency" or "Selectable Frequency"
February 20, 2017 11:05AM
Pimento Wrote:
> On the subject of literature, I notice Nokta's pub
> licity describes the Impact as "Multi Frequency".
> Within the Metal Detecting industry, this term is
> reserved for equipment that uses more than o
> ne frequency at a time
, and not selectable
> single-frequency machines. It would be better if t
> hey used the term "Triple Frequency" or "Selectable
> Frequency"

Well, if they call it "Triple Frequency", someone is going to complain,
"Hey, it isn't triple frequency, it's only one at a time!". So I don't think
that will solve the problem. "Selectable Frequency" is better, but
doesn't tell the reader how many there are. How about "Three Selectable
Frequencies"?
February 20, 2017 12:35PM
Well..."triple frequency" doesn't appear to have any detecting-specific meaning, there's no expectation that all 3 can/do run simultaneously.
And the advert I'm referring to is linked to, below. They do state the three frequencies, 5KHZ-14KHz-20KHz, so that should avoid any questions about what is/not selectable.
They of course ruin it by putting an 'oscilloscope trace' of random noise below the freqs, rather than something representative, like three different colour sine waves, etc.

[noktadetectors.com]
February 20, 2017 02:35PM
Yes, MRH, this is helpful. Thank you. Now, if the manual will expand on this explanation with topics such as "setting up for hunting in modern trash" or "setting up for hunting in old iron/nails" or "setting up for optimum depth in mineralized soil," that will be even better.
And yes, I understand that some will say, hey, that's on you! As a detectorist, you're suppose to know these things. And that is partly true. But doesn't it make sense that a detector manufacturer would benefit, along with the user, by sharing as much of the thinking and engineering that went into the detector as possible so as to make all users as successful with the machine as possible?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 20, 2017 02:41PM
They can call it "multi-select frequency" or "triple-selectable frequency".

Doesn't appear that the angle of the grip/handle was adjusted to Tom's recommendation, which he stated many times needed to be changed. If it wasn't changed ... wonder why not?
February 20, 2017 03:15PM
Tom said it was changed and now is comfortable leaving no blisters
February 20, 2017 03:28PM
I just wounder if there will be enough to go around to everyone that wants one! sad smiley I got two old house sites and a few old camps to swing it in to figure it out.
February 20, 2017 05:28PM
Deus states their machine is a four Freq machine....The impact is three. Nasa Tom has the best written info on this forum though he has put a lot of testing in on the Deep program. If you read his reports he feels he can match or beat the F75, that seems to be his top used machine. Tom goes well beyond anyone I know how he hunts and how he approaches it with scientific data. So I get a bit lost and then I catch up. He has stated that this machine with a few tweaks could be "A world flagship detector." But he pushes his machines to the max to find those hidden relics and coins.

I would like to have Tom go over all of the programs for us so we can have more info on what each program does and how it may apply to your hunting

I don't have the training to hunt the way Tom does...maybe the detector is picking up EMI that I can't hear. It shows me that there may be silent EMI we don't hear that can effect our hunting. The one thing I have not learned is on the deep program. Did they burn in some software that is built into the program that we don't have knowledge of. Like the gold program on the deus that has added software that we can't see or program. How many programs have this? Maybe they did some changes on DI 2,3,4, that make them different programs. They have different tones and freq assigned to them. But you can change all the settings except the tones. So did they burn something into the program that can't be changed but makes these programs work differently? Their D1 99 is like all tones on the deus something once you master would open up iron areas with the small coil.

The all metal GEN has boost and you can use disc but not lose depth it becomes a mixed mode and could be very deep. When you add disc you start to hear the other tone. VLX1 and VLX2 are 3 and four tones but are they different other than the settings you can adjust. That would be interesting to learn and Tom would be the one to know if it is not in the manual. So just with this info the impact has a lot in one package and the price is really great.

Now I have learned that the tones are a bit different, they tend to blend more so that is where I have spent a lot of time trying to understand that language and where you will have to grasp it to really use this machine and all it does. It is not the machine that will beat out all machines on the planet but once you learn it and understand how to max it out when needed it maybe the several machines in one unit and I think all metal is alive and well..It will be interesting to see what updates they come out with once released. They must have pages of input from the testers but not enough time to add them. So in the months to come we may see some nice changes made to the machine.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 21, 2017 12:47AM
Pimento Wrote:
> I feel rather lost reading these reviews/reports,
> as I'm unable to read the User Manual to find out
> what it does/not do.
> I hope the finished manual is a good one, it would
> be a shame to release a high-end detector with an
> 'average' manual.

I am sure the manual will no doubt be another high quality publication like we have been accustomed to from Makro/Nokta -

Unlike other big companies who print out a dull black & white A4's - lol

More importantly I would have thought - hassle free updating from home - a godsend to foreign buyers as it costs a fortune to box your unit up to send back the US for a $300+ update .............. this highlights to me that Nokta/Makro ARE indeed customer focused

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 21, 2017 12:51AM
Pimento Wrote:
> On the subject of literature, I notice Nokta's pub
> licity describes the Impact as "Multi Frequency".
> Within the Metal Detecting industry, this term is
> reserved for equipment that uses more than o
> ne frequency at a time
, and not selectable
> single-frequency machines. It would be better if t
> hey used the term "Triple Frequency" or "Selectabl
> e Frequency"

is there anything that you are happy with regarding the new Impact? - lol

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 21, 2017 01:10AM
?
It seems a very capable machine, and the upgradeable software, combined with the enthusiasm of their engineering team, means there's certain to be plenty more to come. I like it, and am offering my opinions and suggestions with the intention that it may lead to a better product.
I guess it's easy to want more from any product, especially 'technology', where there's always progress and development taking place, and an automatic expectation of 'something new'.
And I'm an engineer, and the idea of adapting/modifying/improving something is just natural to me. I'd only owned my F75 for 5 days before I opened it up and started 'exploring'. And 6 years on, I'm still fiddling with it, currently working on a custom shaft assembly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 01:19AM by Pimento.
February 21, 2017 03:41AM
Maybe you should give First Texas a few hints - lol

Surely its time for a new flagship from their stable -

Thanks for your post - I had you down as a clever fulla

[www.earthscan.co.nz]