Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

IMPACT COIN TESTING IN MODERN TRASH

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
IMPACT COIN TESTING IN MODERN TRASH
February 20, 2017 05:04PM
For all the coin hunters out there who've been asking how this machine operates/does for coin picking in modern trash type sites (parks, schools, city lots, etc).

This is a 4 hr hunt I did one day specifically for and in this type of site using the small 4.5x7" coil, Di4 mode (which is a 3 tone mode) running sensitivity at 80, disc at 0, and tone break at 22. I also notched out square tabs at the setting one number above where nickels hit and assigned the notch an iron tone at N3 so that I knew when I was hitting one when I swung over one (yet) allowing nickles to hit loud/clear.

The 1st picture shows the lot out behind the bar/saloon (circled in white) on the corner that's been in use since 1888 so to say this is a nightmare to hunt is an understatement as the site is littered with 1000s of pull tabs and bottle caps from people out there in the warmer seasons when they have outdoor events/BBQ's, etc. The 2nd picture of the coins is all that I pulled in 4 hrs (about 100 coins) that included a few coin spills including one hole that I pulled 13 coins out of!

The lot is approx. 40'/50' wide x 100'/120' long and I have hunted it in the past with the Deus once, and CTX once as well as an ATP and the F19 once or twice.To date I've dug somewhere around a 600/700 coins from this site between all machines listed here. On this trip though (I'd say around 30% or so) are more recent drops since I lasted hunted this lot about a yr ago with the CTX (BUT and very important) the remaining 65/70% are not recent drops and were a little deeper than the more recently dropped coins of the last yr or so (evidenced in the photo by their conditions). That means that the CTX, Deus, ATP, and F19 all missed most of those coins due to masking by the endless sea of tabs/caps and "some" iron present in the site (meaning = they never even heard/seen them).

So, if you're wondering how this machine will do in a park/like type setting plagued/riddled with endless tabs/etc. even IF you've used many other machines on it in the past = here's a look into the success one can expect to achieve in/under those conditions thumbs down

Thanks for reading.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 10:49PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: IMPACT COIN TESTING IN MODERN TRASH
February 20, 2017 05:18PM
nice, MRH. No square or pull tabs dug?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 20, 2017 05:44PM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nice, MRH. No square or pull tabs dug?
>
> Wayne

Yes ncwayne

on occasion you WILL and I did dig a couple

main reason is either the orientation of one may be a factor and/or due to one being broken/bent, etc. but for the most part you'll avoid 98% of whatever you notch out thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 06:24PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 20, 2017 05:50PM
that's great! thanks for posting.
February 20, 2017 06:08PM
Are you saying the Deus missed roughly 70 coins in that small plot? Deus fans won't be pleased!
That's super fast work, locate and dig one hole around every 2.5 mins, id be knackered lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 06:16PM by ghound.
February 20, 2017 06:28PM
Thanks, MRH, I'd a been happy if you had dug a few <g>. How fine is the notching; can you select just one point of discrimination, or is it a set number of points for each notch segment?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
February 20, 2017 07:07PM
So you may have missed a gold ring but you were more interested in cherry picking out coins. The deus is a machine with lots of programing also but the coil is to large, one down fall is with the new coils and update they refuse or can't make a coil smaller because of the battery. But I think the new coils have it in the stem? Again the Impact maybe the detector that we all can use for all of our hunting even gold hunting. I know years ago me and Rybo were at a park that was full of trash in the ground. The grounds keeper said you guys wont' find anything because they come out after an event with their detectors and must find all of the good stuff.

We had the DFX and we put on the smallest coil that was made for that machine and found so many good coins and rings and jewelry. It was the coil that let us hunt this park.

I really like the shape of the small coil for the impact but would like to see a 5x10 also for in between trash and not so trashy areas more for med iron hunting.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 20, 2017 09:33PM
ghound Wrote:
> Are you saying the Deus missed roughly 70 coins in
> that small plot? Deus fans won't be pleased!
> That's super fast work, locate and dig one hole ar
> ound every 2.5 mins, id be knackered lol

He's saying that the Deus, and CTX as well as an ATP and the F19 missed all the coins. I say that's hard to believe. Very hard.
February 20, 2017 10:08PM
I dont by this for a second sorry but common
February 20, 2017 10:12PM
I would wonder if the racer with the small coil would miss that also but the impact is a combo of all of their units and then some. DI4 has a setting of 70 gain, disc of 3 and a freq of 20 the other settings were what I think Wayne changed. It really can be the small coil that made the difference. We as testers are not saying the Impact is the best of the best and nothing can beat it. I'm still trying to get use to the tones. Not as much modulation as the racer or the deus that is my biggest test is to dig as much as I can so I know what the machine is telling me. Tom it seems is seeing if it can do better than the F75 and how to improve the depth even a hair more depth is a blessing for him and I guess us.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

February 20, 2017 11:43PM
[youtu.be]

Someone needs to send this guy an Impact for testing behind his Deus!
February 21, 2017 12:23AM
I know him he uses a lot of Gary's programs the changes from on program to another are very slight. I also think he is cherry picking his vdi but again with a detector like the deus you can if you know your machine you can do a lot with it. Lots of ways to program the deus a great detector.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 21, 2017 12:33AM
He certainly seems to know his Deus, seriously though, if the Impact can pick up dozens of coins behind the Deus it must be some machine, can't wait to see some videos of it going head 2 head on live targets.
February 21, 2017 02:01AM
This place is littered with coins and littered with trash that "mask" those coins.

I am 100% confident that the biggest reason this machine picked out the coins the others didn't is because of the 4.5x7" football coil - on the ctx and deus and f19 I only used stock coils on them, and on the ATP I used the small 5x8" coil. When I 1st hunted this place with the Deus one day and the CTX the next - between the 2 days/2 machines I pulled over 300 coins alone. That post was here on this forum back then showing them all and I'm sure can be found via advanced search.

But, and for the non believer/s here that think my post is just BS and that this machine/coil combo couldn't have pulled all these coins behind the other machines, here's a story similar to this one that I showed/posted on this forum as well here over a yr ago while using the original Red Racer

there's a site where 2 homes sat until a commercial development co. bought the properties and demolished the houses. One lot is on a corner where an old school sits across the street from, I hunted the 2 connecting lots with the F19, Vaquero, CTX and my buddy used his ATP before I took the Racer there. The reason I even went back with the Racer is because on/near the corner on the one lot there's 2 huge old trees and every time I took one of the machines around them = they basically locked up/started nulling due to what I initially thought may be a sea of aluminum/trash until I got about 10ft away from the trees and started digging coins.

It then clicked with me that the reason the machines were locking up around the 2 trees to about 10ft out in diameter around them is that quite possibly there was so much trash/so many coins lying in the ground that the machines were overloading and couldn't function properly. Low and behold I returned with the Red Racer in hand with the small 4.5x5" OOR coil installed and I headed straight for the trees. Needless to say in about 4 hrs I sifted out a pile of coins that would make your head spin (pounds and pounds of coins). I've never seen 2 10ft diameter areas so concentrated with coins at near surface level to about 3 or 4" deep in my life but the Racer with tiny coil sliced thru all of the caps/tabs, etc. and picked one after another sometimes only an inch or 2 apart and/or several in one hole. I literally stood in one place for 5 mins and dug a dozen or more coins before moving 3 ft and repeating.

These Nok/Mak machines with the small coils on them ain't no joke (especially) when it comes to sifting in trash so concentrated that other machines lock up and/or just can't see what's there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 02:10AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 21, 2017 02:04AM
Correct.
February 21, 2017 02:14AM
The coils are as important as the machine. The impact and their line up if you own any are going to make me keep the racer for a backup. And the racer has the 5x10 I need that on the impact and new rods. This company moves fast like car companies things change everyday and since this company is from Turkey they don't behave like our U.S. companies do. Our companies designed new detectors for years that were some of the best in the world. But now I wonder if thy can play catch up. If you don't have to have the newest best detector then if you know your machine inside and out. You have nothing to worry about. The deus is still a great machine and the new update is coming with a new pin pointer. I think the impact and the deus will be tough to beat and I'm proud to have both of them along with the racer.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 21, 2017 03:44AM
The way to verify the Impact's abilities is to take these other contender detectors and the Impact to a nasty nail-infested site, like you did. This time, take one detector at a time and sweep a test strip. Carefully mark (don't dig) each target identified with each detector including the Impact. Then, if the Impact should locate a bunch of targets the others can't 'see' (Targets Unseen) and sees the same targets the others did 'see' (Targets Seen), then you'd be assured the Impact is unmasking in a superior fashion. That is, (Targets Unseen / (Targets Seen + Targets Unseen)) = % better unmasking ability.
February 21, 2017 04:32AM
"The way to verify the Impact's abilities is to take these other contender detectors and the Impact to a nasty nail-infested site, like you did. This time, take one detector at a time and sweep a test strip. Carefully mark (don't dig) each target identified with each detector including the Impact. Then, if the Impact should locate a bunch of targets the others can't 'see' (Targets Unseen) and sees the same targets the others did 'see' (Targets Seen), then you'd be assured the Impact is unmasking in a superior fashion. That is, (Targets Unseen / (Targets Seen + Targets Unseen)) = % better unmasking ability. "

This is quite correct. Any alteration of the site makes comparisons to previous detecting occurrences suspect to criticism because the removal , or for that matter the addition , of targets changes the variables of the site overall . Even the removal a pull tab could theoretically exposed one or a number of masked coins to detection which had been previously completely masked and could conceivably lead to an exponential number of new targets becoming visible to many different detectors. Marking the targets without disturbing the site would be a much more credible and revealing method of comparison.

Now , when you can go and correctly mark the gold rings/things in the sea of targets , then I will genuinely be impressed.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 04:34AM by shoveler.
February 21, 2017 04:52AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> The coils are as important as the machine. The imp
> act and their line up if you own any are going to
> make me keep the racer for a backup. And the racer
> has the 5x10 I need that on the impact and new rod
> s. This company moves fast like car companies thin
> gs change everyday and since this company is from
> Turkey they don't behave like our U.S. companies d
> o. Our companies designed new detectors for years
> that were some of the best in the world. But now I
> wonder if thy can play catch up. If you don't have
> to have the newest best detector then if you know
> your machine inside and out. You have nothing to w
> orry about. The deus is still a great machine and
> the new update is coming with a new pin pointer. I
> think the impact and the deus will be tough to bea
> t and I'm proud to have both of them along with th
> e racer.

Now we're getting some place. Your picture only shows coins. I assume you also dug some trash, too?
February 21, 2017 04:52AM

johnnyanglo wrote:
The way to verify the Impact's abilities is to take these other contender detectors and the Impact to a nasty nail-infested site, like you did. This time, take one detector at a time and sweep a test strip. Carefully mark (don't dig) each target identified with each detector including the Impact. Then, if the Impact should locate a bunch of targets the others can't 'see' (Targets Unseen) and sees the same targets the others did 'see' (Targets Seen), then you'd be assured the Impact is unmasking in a superior fashion. That is, (Targets Unseen / (Targets Seen + Targets Unseen)) = % better unmasking ability.

shoveler wrote:
This is quite correct. Any alteration of the site makes comparisons to previous detecting occurrences suspect to criticism because the removal , or for that matter the addition , of targets changes the variables of the site overall . Even the removal a pull tab could theoretically exposed one or a number of masked coins to detection which had been previously completely masked and could conceivably lead to an exponential number of new targets becoming visible to many different detectors. Marking the targets without disturbing the site would be a much more credible and revealing method of comparison.

Now , when you can go and correctly mark the gold rings/things in the sea of targets , then I will genuinely be impressed. winking smiley

I hear ya guys and I agree 100% on all fronts thumbs down

What you suggest here though takes a LOT of time and work! I have to work for a living too so my time for something of this magnitude is limited and being in Michigan in February fighting/dealing with weather issues = it's a little hard to make it all come together for this level of testing while being comfortable out there and not constrained by/pressured for time

but

I'm going to find the time ASAP and as soon as weather permits and I'll put a video together with resultants from the test = it just might be a while before I can do it/get it all to come together but it sounds like an interesting challenge and one that I'd like to see/perform myself with a couple of machines in the mix.

Thanks
February 21, 2017 05:49AM
The coils have to match

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 21, 2017 06:19AM
ghound Wrote:
> [youtu.be]
>
> Someone needs to send this guy an Impact for testi
> ng behind his Deus!

Deus in heavy iron (coil 11")
February 21, 2017 06:38AM
You can display the video "Impact" passes Nail Board test in mode "all metal" ?
Thank you in advance
February 21, 2017 02:52PM
vfp7
You can display the video "Impact" passes Nail Board test in mode "all metal" ?
I'd like to help you on this, but I don't do videos. However, YES, you can 'reject' or 'classify' all four nails and still get a hit on an Indian Head, or Zinc, US 1¢ coin in either GEN or GEN(D) All Metal modes. I tested that and have demonstrated it to some friends now, and that is even with the 'standard' 7¼X11 DD (measured) coil.

In iron infested sites I always prefer a smaller-size coil and the Impact's 4X7¾ DD (close measurement) coil does quite well in this test as well as similar trashy environments I have hunted. While I usually use one of the Discriminate modes in nail infested sites, it is doable with the All Metal motion modes, and there have been a couple of times I have searched that way just to compare the results. A lot of mode selection and settings will depend on your site, the conditions, and what you are after.

With both the GEN and GEN(D) modes I didn't run full iron rejection on the Nail Board Performance Test, but I used a setting of '25,' if I recall, which is a little more than necessary to 'Low-Tone' the four nails.

Monte

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 03:02PM by Monte.
February 21, 2017 07:04PM
I would like to see a comparison between the New Impact & the latest flagship from the US, Whites MXS

Of course asides from the MXS being waterproof, will it preform better than the Impact when it comes to hunting in trash & depth, recovery etc?

This would no doubt give a good indication of where the 'old' companies and the new international companies are when it comes to their products - the great thing I see so far is the fact that Nokta have not put out a video stating that their Impact is better than other particular brands - It appears both Makro/Nokta sell their equipment based on their merits and NOT the abilities of other companies products -

Something some of these 'old' companies need to do -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 21, 2017 08:07PM
I don't think a company is going to compare detectors but I think they are trying to compete with the deus machine. If you wait long enough after the release I think you may find some hunters comparing machines. I have the racer and deus and I have not had the time to compare and for the most part I won't...I like to have a couple of machines to use when I go back and hunt. Different coils sizes and how the coil is tuned how the machine reacts to EMI and silent EMI..Just give the machine about 6 moths after release and you will hear all the good and the bad. There is a lot on this machine and with updates and three freq it has a lot going for it.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 21, 2017 11:25PM
rustic charm
I would like to see a comparison between the New Impact & the latest flagship from the US, Whites MXS
eye popping smiley Here we are, trying to discuss a truly new and impressive detector from Nokta, and you have to inject some humor ... the White's MX Sport a FLAGSHIP detector from the US!!

They might have finally found all the bugs in it, maybe, but it's a $799.95 MSRP offering, assembled in the USA which might cost them more to do that some foreign-designed detectors. They don't even make a smaller-size coil for their own detector and decided to sell a Bulgarian-made after-market 7" coil (so much for the Made in the USA image) and that leaves me wondering what's up with White's.

I don't own one, even though I considered it ... until I got one in my hands a few times at a Dealer's shop and was very disappointed with it, then all the gripes started to appear. I have a friend who now owns one and he's done okay with it, but I think he's not totally sold on it yet. I'll find out on our Relic Hunting outings to several ghost towns in May and June.

rustic charm
Of course asides from the MXS being waterproof, will it preform better than the Impact when it comes to hunting in trash & depth, recovery etc?
I will give it credit for being waterproof, but that's nothing I need for the serious Relic Hunting I do at nasty iron challenged sites, or the Coin Hunting I do. My primary-grab models for most Coin Hunting are my Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, and the Relic has an MSRP $100.95 less than the MX Sport, and it comes with two search coils, standard. I did meet one fellow using an MX Sport when I had my Nokta FORS CoRe (MSRP $699) with me, and while there wasn't much time for some side-by-side comparisons, I certainly didn't walk away feeling bad at all.

Just my thoughts, but for comparison in trash environments, and for detection depth when achievable in lower-littered sites on coin-sized targets, it's best to compare the MX Sport with other models in a close operating frequency range. That would be the 13.9 kHz MX Sport Vs a 15 kHz FORS CoRe, 14 kHz Makro Racer 2 or the new Nokta Impact set for 14 kHz. I would choose any of these three over the MX Sport.

Again, just personal opinions. To me not a 'Flagship' unit and also not what I would want in my arsenal based on what use I have made of it or compared. I am sure there are some consumers out there who might own one and like it, and that's fine. I just don't think many of them have done any serious testing or comparisons with the likes of the CoRe, Racer 2 or Impact, and when they do they might just change their mind.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
February 21, 2017 11:44PM
Man I feel for folks that are reporting your testing with the Impact. Some of these guys are being brutal in their messages to you folks. Believe me, I have been there. It sucks when every thing you post about a new product, is met with skepticism. You just have to realize that with some people, no matter what you say or how you word your posts, will not make them happy and they will be an ole crabby hateful mare about it. This is exactly the reason why I don't do many videos any more and turn down some opportunities to test detectors, etc.

I appreciate the testing and am glad the Nokta/Makro folks chose many of you from this forum to do the testing for them. I just think some of these other guys are a little jealous that they weren't picked. They'll never admit it but that's probably a big part of their crabby attitudes.
February 22, 2017 12:18AM
Good work wayne.....
February 22, 2017 12:37AM
The testing is a bit hard because we are trying to find flaws and changes we would like to see. I think some of our ideas will be used in updates that are real easy to load on a PC...the fun part is now we can really hunt with it...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]