Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Has anyone tested the Impact with coins other than US

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Has anyone tested the Impact with coins other than US
February 20, 2017 06:52PM
The Makro or Nokta series detectors have been found to be wishy-washy when it comes to ID'ing our junky Canadian nickel plated steel coins. Otherwise excellent detectors.
That's one reason I and many other Canadian coinshooters sort of held back buy a Makro/Notka product. See a number of those that did make a purchase start to sell them off.
I have been tempted into buying one, believe me.
I know Notka makes occasional announcements on the Canadian forum but, haven't seen one field tester being Canadian. Finding clad for many
Canadians is very important as is accurate ID of the clad. This could make or break a sale.
Also, we do have some different soil mineralizations up here..................

I do find the Impact very nice looking and very tempted............but...................might be the time to keep a look out for a dump price Fisher F75 as US guys switch to the Impact?

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Has anyone tested the Impact with coins other than US
February 20, 2017 09:53PM
Sven, first I have to say I'm sorry you have coins up there in Canada made of crap metals, ie magnetic-based stuff like Iron, Nickel, Steel and blends of these metal with others. sad smiley

I am currently running a test with all the USA coin samples I have on-hand for Dilek, and then I am going to also test all those I have from Canada and a few other countries that I have found to post separately. She has asked for coin sample TID's from all countries where Impact test units are out. I hope to have them all sampled by later tonight and senf off to Dilek. I will post info on the Canadian coins I have for you. The existing problem is a challenge for any make and model detector due to the amount of magnetic properties used in most of your more recent coins, and even some from long ago. They are not going to 'lock-on' with very good consistency, and it will be very important to isolate a coin and make a direct sweep across it with the coil's center axis to get the best audio and visual response.

Monte
February 20, 2017 10:21PM
Yup, coins up here are a real challenge to ID, they will have a bounce in numbers, sometimes from one extreme to another. Some digital ID machines produce a predictable ID number bounce response, some ID machines are just terrible.

Finding out those with an expanded iron disc range help in isolating the clad coins, especially those on edge. Can say the T2 and GoldBug Pro are two of my favorite digital target Id machines for our crazy clad. Some like the White's MXT, Tesoro Deleon, others find success with some Minelabs and the Garrett AT Pro International for clad hunting. These are probably the top seller "all purpose" higher end detectors up here. The CTX and Deus
are starting to pick up steam here, just not a mainstream detector everyone can afford, after customs fees and taxes.

Already sound like the Impact is up to snuff to the F75 as an all purpose detector, now if it could just ID our claddage with some predictability. It could be a winner. The ground mineralization up here differs as well. From a mild soil sandy, clay dirt combination, with a sprinkling or of magnetic black sands. Some areas 6 hours north of here the bedrock beneath 6-10" of soil can drive many detectors insane.

I might like to physically actually try an Impact up here and report on our Canadian forums. Might just have to wait until some-one in the US decides to sell off a used one to do that.
Until then will have to play with my current clad magnets...LOL Like many of us here looking for a better digital ID clad magnet.

It's very hard to pass up on digging our $1 and $2 coins that seem to just fall out of everyones pockets at a alarming rate........no $1 bills up here. Can't wait until they do away with the $5 bills and opt for the $5 coin which is supposed to be out this year for circulation.

Works for me
February 21, 2017 05:32PM
I'm drooling waiting for those 5 pieces to show up...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 22, 2017 01:57AM
Sven...I'm sold on the Tesoro's for Canadian clad....I've never had a detector that will pull clad out the ground like a tesoro..
I've got 13 detectors...and the tesoro's are my go to clad kings.....$257.00 in 4 months,not to shabby for a newbe learning a tesoro.
They do love the $1 and $2 dollar coins
Of course you already know thatwinking smiley
Bring on the $5 dollar coins...

Cheers.
February 22, 2017 05:41PM
Whimpster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sven...I'm sold on the Tesoro's for Canadian clad.
> ...I've never had a detector that will pull clad o
> ut the ground like a tesoro..
> I've got 13 detectors...and the tesoro's are my go
> to clad kings.....$257.00 in 4 months,not to shabb
> y for a newbe learning a tesoro.
> They do love the $1 and $2 dollar coins
> Of course you already know thatwinking smiley
> Bring on the $5 dollar coins...
>
> Cheers.

Being a Canuck what model could you recommend of Tesoro for clad, thanks
February 22, 2017 10:08PM
guvmore....As Sven alluded to in the original post...it will be interesting to see if the impact has a shine for Canadian clad...to me It would be an expensive detector if that's all I was going to use it for.
I've used several machines with varied success.
Sven noted some of the above machines and I have to agree with him...but the tesoro's have put the fun back into metal detecting for me..guess my list from one to three would be the Compadre with 6" concentric coil,Bandido 2 uMax 6" concentric coil,and the silver uMax 8" concentric coil...I just bought a Golden uMax but haven't had it out yet....waiting for the snow to disappear...I'll quote Sven...if you set up a Compadre where you discriminate out just enough iron, but pickup a Canadian clad dime on edge in a surface test.... you won't miss much clad in the first 6 " to 7" in mild mineralized soil.

guvmore Wrote:
> Whimpster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sven...I'm sold on the Tesoro's for Canadian cla
> d.
> > ...I've never had a detector that will pull clad
> o
> > ut the ground like a tesoro..
> > I've got 13 detectors...and the tesoro's are my
> go
> > to clad kings.....$257.00 in 4 months,not to sha
> bb
> > y for a newbe learning a tesoro.
> > They do love the $1 and $2 dollar coins
> > Of course you already know thatwinking smiley
> > Bring on the $5 dollar coins...
> >
> > Cheers.
>
>
> Being a Canuck what model could you recommend of T
> esoro for clad, thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 12:04AM by Whimpster.
February 22, 2017 11:04PM
Sven,
Why don't you Scotch tape 10 - 12 of your coins that you're most interested in onto a bit of bubble wrap and send it South to one of the US testers???
February 23, 2017 12:04AM
Des D Wrote:
> Sven,
> Why don't you Scotch tape 10 - 12 of your coins th
> at you're most interested in onto a bit of bubble
> wrap and send it South to one of the US testers???

Did that a year or so ago, sent a package of coins off to Monte

Works for me
February 23, 2017 06:22AM
Sven1 Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> -----
> > Sven,
> > Why don't you Scotch tape 10 - 12 of your coins
> th
> > at you're most interested in onto a bit of bubbl
> e
> > wrap and send it South to one of the US testers?
> ??
>
> Did that a year or so ago, sent a package of coins
> off to Monte

If you don't mind, can you send those to us so we add them to our test materials? We have many from different countries and we may have a few from Canada (I need to check with the testers) but more is better.
February 23, 2017 12:15PM
Sven1 Wrote:
> Des D Wrote:
> -----
> > Sven,
> > Why don't you Scotch tape 10 - 12 of your coins
> th
> > at you're most interested in onto a bit of bubbl
> e
> > wrap and send it South to one of the US testers?
> ??
>
> Did that a year or so ago, sent a package of coins
> off to Monte

Sven, should be 2 sets of Canadian clad, one set of clean undug coins AND the typical dug set with rust spots, black loonie, etc. I see vastly more of them with rust spots as they occur so quickly.

clean ones don't reflect reality.....and rusty ones sound like crap....as do 'black' loonies (coating is gone?).....

kind of shows what a farce it would be for a mfg'er to try and allow for our clad.

to me, it's simple, use a cheaper machine that you already know works for the clad, ie Tesoro. It would (or already has) paid for itself so big deal....

once that's done (and you think the site has potential for something older) then pull out one of the better, deeper machines, minelab FBS, F75, T2, R2, Impact, etc, etc....
and give it a go....for 'real' coins/relics.....historical items.....this is a totally different game and I used an Etrac and CTX to do this with pretty decent success here in the GTA.....good old days.....

personally, hopeing for something to ID deep coins/relics while nicely ID'ing our crappy rust-spotted steel core clad just doesn't reflect reality....

and putting the onus on the 'nice' manufacturers like Nokta/Makro to somehow make this happen is just wasting their valuable time....IMHO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 01:14PM by canslawhero.
February 24, 2017 01:37AM
Your right about using a cheaper machine like a single tone Tesoro.

There are some target ID screen machines that ID somewhat consistent with predictable bouncing ID numbers with two-three tone audio to determine the clad.
Just to name a few T2 with the expanded iron range, coins on edge fall into the lower numbers within a few numbers.
GoldBug Pro. Fisher F5, Quest Pro. Tek Omega and Delta. Some claim the Garrett AT Pro/Gold and Ace International models work. The AKA Berkut worked fairly well when set up correctly.

My point is some one who wants an Impact might become frustrated with wild bouncing target ID numbers while hunting schoolyards, parks looking for coins in general and who wouldn't might picking up the clad,
when there's nothing better to find. A handful of Loonies and Toonies can make a day, hunting in TO, you know the pile folks lose. My friend finds on average $20 for a few hours hunting TO/Hamilton etc. in just a few hours.
I have watched him at it. Not uncommon for him to come home with $40. Guess what he uses and old Bounty Hunter Big Bud with the meter. That's one reason I picked up the old Tek Mark 1....

So really just want to see how much bounce the Impact has with the clad. Monte's testing of the Racer and the CA clad wasn't too promising, big reason I didn't try a Racer.
I would look for an all purpose detector but, would have to be somewhat clad friendly.

Works for me
February 24, 2017 02:32PM
Sven, your expertise on this issue when it comes to modern machines and Canadian Clad is appreciated. How good is the T2 exactly with our clad. I have a Sorex and it's great but it's my old silver and copper park machine because my Tejon just responds much better to our clad.

Also how exactly did you setup the Berkut to make it respond more predictably?
February 25, 2017 01:38AM
LoonieSlayer Wrote:
> Sven, your expertise on this issue when it comes t
> o modern machines and Canadian Clad is appreciated
> . How good is the T2 exactly with our clad. I have
> a Sorex and it's great but it's my old silver and
> copper park machine because my Tejon just responds
> much better to our clad.
>
> Also how exactly did you setup the Berkut to make
> it respond more predictably?

The T2 works excellent, I generally will hunt in all metal mode, the NEL Sharpshooter works well and the SEF similar size coil works just as well. Think I might like the SEF a bit better.
After awhile you can get a sense of what is under the coil in all metal mode by the tone a target signal width. The ID numbers while in all metal mode are somewhat tight with some bounce.
I set the T2 up like Mike Hillis does, suggests for his type of hunting. I do use disc mode along with all metal mode, or one or the other entirely. depends upon if I want to hunt a bit quiet or a bit chatty.
The 5" T2 search coil is a big asset, it does turn the T2 into a clad magnet. If your not in a hurry to cover a large area before some one else gets in there and work the spot out...the 5" coil is a winner.
Now I think everyone now knows with the looming court case, the Deteknix Quest is similar to the T2 with some sprinkling of the F75 mixed in. Whatever works for the T2 will work with it. I no longer have a T2 but, have the T2 5" coil on the Quest. And its on there 90% of the time. but can bring out the larger coil when I want to cruise. I really like the way the T2 feels and balances, kind of thinking I may want to get another but the classic model. But, then think maybe try a F75 when folks unload them for the Impact...LOL

You can't make the Sorex into a Berkut for clad and jewelry hunting. The Berkut is menu heavy with 2001 audio, tone, volume parameter adjustments of target number segments, the only detector that comes close is the Whites VX3 to give you an idea. But, like any feature rich detector, each adjustment is a give and take. At least you have 4 programmable programs you can custom taylor. Great detector but, you spend way too much time tinkering....
It's a specialized detector. The Sorex is a general purpose detector that is easier to learn.

Well, Tesoros are probably one of the best kept secrets up here, many wouldn't even give them a second look. Those of us that own or owned one, just smirk, for a beep and dig, they are tough to beat when it comes to CA claddage. The Deleon is a pretty good clad detector for having fixed ground balance and such a simple LCD meter display.

Really the only way we will know how the Impact will do up here is to actually hunt with one, air testing and bench testing really doesn't tell you the whole story. Think here won't like the price tag after taxes and importation charges, see it around $1400-1500 Canadian for a Impact. Not sure how many will be willing to be a guinea pig and buy one. Many up here would rather cough up a lot less for a Minelab or Garrett. Just have to get one of those better off Canadian detectorists tempted who are buying the Dues and the CTX's to splurge on the Impact. And there are a number of them on the Canadian Forum.

Works for me
February 25, 2017 04:05PM
Thank you Sven, The Impact looks almost perfect to me but like you I'm in a wait and see mode. Might just have to trade my Sorex, I hate wondering if I'm missing a quarter or a loonie under my coil. At least we're supposed to get a $5 coin that certainly helps...lol. Thanks
February 25, 2017 10:08PM
LoonieSlayer Wrote:
> I hate wondering if I
> 'm missing a quarter or a loonie under my coil. ..lol. Thanks

Keep the disc low and you'll recover all the ones on edge everyone else misses who disc out foil and higher.
On some ID machines these coins will register into a lower iron ID number and instantly bounce to a high number briefly.
And the audio will be a tight coin sound.

Works for me
My Canadian Coin testing.
February 26, 2017 10:12AM
For SVEN and others hunting up that Canadian Coinage:

Here in the USA we have been fortunate to have most of our coinage made or higher-percentages of better-quality NON-Ferrous / Non-Magnetic metals. For over half-a-century of detecting, with the bulk of that time living in NW Oregon, I have encountered Canadian coins fairly often, especially back in the latter '60s, '70s and into the '80s. I know other countries also have coins that are not very good for finding because they, too, have been made out of higher-percentages of magnetic metals or alloys of Nickel or Steel.

Here, south of the Canadian/USA border, we minted the 1943 Steel 1¢ coin, our ONLY predominantly ferrous/magnetic-based coin. We did make 3¢ coins and our 5¢ coins that were 75% Copper and 25% Nickel, but that is the most magnetic metal used in a coin, and the copper quantity is 3-times greater.

But up north of us, the Canadians have used magnetic-based metal for a long, long time. Let me show the long durations of using poor conductive magnetic-based metal. I'll just show the denominations and years they have been using 'the bad stuff!'

One Cent (Penny):
2000 - Present.. 94% STEEL, 1.5% Nickel and 4.5% Copper plated

Five Cent (Nickel):
1922 - 1942.. 99.9% NICKEL
1944 - 1945.. Chrome Plated Steel
1946 - 1951.. 99.9% NICKEL
1951 - 1954.. Chrome Plated Steel
1954 - 1981.. 99.9% NICKEL
2000 - Present.. 94.5% STEEL, 3.5% Copper and 2% Nickel plated

Ten Cent (Dime):
1968.. About 71% of the Dimes minted were: 99.9% NICKEL
1969 - 1999.. 99.9% NICKEL
2000 - Present.. 92% STEEL, 5.5% Copper and 2.5% Nickel plated

Twenty-Five Cent (Quarter):
1968 - 1999.. 99.9% NICKEL
2000 - Present.. 94% STEEL, 3.8% Copper and 2.2% Nickel plated

Fifty Cents (Half):
1968 - 1999.. 99.9% NICKEL
2000 - Present..93.15% STEEL, 4.75% Copper and 2.1% Nickel plated

One Dollar (Loonie):
1987 - 2011.. 91.5% NICKEL, 8.5% Brass Plating
2012 - Present.. Steel with Brass plating

Two Dollar (Toonie):
1997 - 2011.. Outer Ring - 99% NICKEL, Inner Core - Aluminum-Bronze of 92% Copper, 6% Aluminum and 2% Nickel
2012 - Present.. Outer Ring - STEEL, Inner Core - Aluminum-Bronze w/Brass plating

Sven, you might ask if I tested the Canadian Coins you sent me or I had on-hand with the Impact, and the answer is YES.

Matter-of-fact, I tested ALL of the coins using ALL of the detectors in my arsenal, and I used the smaller and mid-sized coils I had for each model. Those included:

Nokta Impact w/4X7¾ DD using 5 kHz, 14 kHz and 20 kHz all Normalized
Nokta 19 kHz FORS Relic w/5½" DD
Nokta 19 kHz FORS Relic w/5½X10 Concentric
Nokta 15 kHz FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD
Nokta 19kHz Gold + w/5½X10 DD coil
Makro 14 kHz Racer 2 w/'OOR' DD and round 5½" DD
Makro 14 kHz Racer 2 w/5½X10 DD
Makro 56 kHz Gold Racer w/5½" DD
Makro 56 kHz Gold Racer w/5½X10 DD
Tesoro 10 kHz Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric
Tesoro 14.5 kHz Vaquero w/6" Concentric
Tesoro 12 kHz Mojave w/7" Concentric

Using the Impact w/4X7¾ DD coil, the model mainly discussed here and in question for use looking for those magnetic-metal Canadian coins, it preformed well on the better-quality coins, such as:

1998 One Cent, Normalized, the 5 kHz Coin modes '64' and Relic modes '80', the 14 kHz Coin modes '65' and Relic modes '81'/'82' and at 20 kHz the Coin modes '62'/'63 ' and Relic modes '80'/'81'.

1997Nickel, Normalized, the 5 kHz Coin modes '29'/'30' and Relic modes '53'/'54', the 14 kHz Coin modes '29'/'30' and Relic modes '53'and at 20 kHz the Coin modes '29' and Relic mode '54'.

All the other coins I had were comprised mainly of Nickel or Steel. All of them easily attracted to a magnet, and that means that all of them are going to be more difficult to detect and get a proper and repeatable side-to-side sweep response .... most of the time ... using most of the more modern or 'trendy' detectors, and for two main reasons and then a third reason to factor in.

First, the assortment of Canadian coins tested included:

1998 and 2011 One Cent
1975, 1997, 2003 and 2013 Five Cent
1985, 2001 and 2014 Ten Cent
1985, 2005 and 2012 Twenty-Five Cent
2008 One Dollar
1996 and 2012 Two Dollar

The results using the Nokta Impact with 4X7¾ DD coil on all of the assortment of coins I tested. I used 10 search modes, Gain from '80' to '99' depending on the mode, and Discrimination was at '03' for the Coin Modes and '10' for the Relic modes Ground Balanced to local soil at '83' and targets swept across the center-axis of the search coils positioned flat-to-the-coil.

Other than the better-metal coins I mentioned above, the Target ID and accompanying Tone ID, especially in the multi-tone modes, was erratic. Overall, especially considering these lower-end conductivity metals, the worst frequency to use was 5 kHz. Sometimes the response was so erratic it couldn't be narrowed down, and at other times there wasn't much of a good response at all.

The 14 kHz frequency was not as bad on some of the coins, but showed more instability in visual and audio response than the 20 kHz operating frequency, at least on some coins. The 20 kHz frequency is the one I would prefer to use on the Impact. 14 kHz would be a 2nd option, but 5 kHz I would forget IF looking for these Nickel and Steel coins.

Also, as expected, I had better audio response if I used the DEEP Relic Hunting mode or the Di2 Coin Hunting mode because they are only 2-Tone, with the lowest Low-Tone for iron-reading targets. That made it less 'busy' compared with the Di3, Di4 Di99, VLX1 or VLX2 multi-tone modes.

Of all the 12 Detector/Coil combination models I used above, I found there to be 3 factors I considered if I wanted to get a digable audio response. Those are:

1.. Consider Operating Frequency. Do NOT use the 5 kHz frequency as it was the worst of them all. As I guessed, on the coins that gave the Impact the most erratic response, it was better in 2-Tone Discrimination. Okay, often at 14 kHz, better at 20 kHz, and the other Nokta and Makro models did better in 2-Tone operation, but perhaps the cleanest audio on the worst coins, was the 56 kHz Makro Gold Racer. My Relic and Gold + and CoRe and Racer 2 did okay in 2-Tone, but my bad hearing could discern an advantages to the audio, and possibly visual, targets response on some of the most troubling Canadian coins.

2.. The Search Coil Type. Because most of the Canadian coins I sampled were made of Steel or Nickel, it was obvious there would be more challenges trying to get good, consistent side-to-side hits on re-sweeps over the coins due to the search coil type. The winners in this category, using the most troubling coins, and also when I selected a site with almost constant EMI surroundings, were the Nokta Relic using the 5½X10 Concentric coil, and the three Tesoro models, all of them equipped with a Concentric coil.

Ferrous or magnetic metals have a different effect on the EMF than do non-ferrous metals. This can cause some difficulties with most Double-D coils because a sweep from the left-to-right and then a sweep from the right-to-the-left has different fields encountering the metal targets, and then the functional overlapped Tx and Rx fields. A Concentric coil has a more uniform FMF from either direction, and therefore a more consistent response.

3.. The circuitry type or design, with the differences being Analog or Digital electronic circuitry design. Through the years I have usually preferred analog-based circuitry for a lot of my relic Hunting because the models I used, mainly Tesoro's, provided me some of the best handling or ferrous target sites. Relying on audio responses, many all digital designed detectors had difficulty handling dense iron nails and other iron littered sites compared with the analog models I used. Only a few digital circuitry models have performed well for me in the really nasty iron trash, and those have been the Teknetics T2 w/5" DD coil (using 1-Tone or 2-Tone audio), and the Nokta FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, FORS Gold + and Makro Racer 2, and even the Gold Racer. I now add to that the new Nokta Impact which has provided me in-the-field performance on par with, or sometimes better than, my Racer 2 or FORS CoRe when at 14 kHz, or my FORS Relic when at 20 kHz.

That said, I have also hunted a few sites with some EMI challenges where the analog Tesoro models, have matched or even slightly bettered the performance of any Makro or Nokta model. Not by much, but at times they have a slight 'edge.'

In the end it comes down to combining the best of all three that you can for any given site and the types of targets you're after. Consider the operating frequency, the coil size and type, and the detector's circuitry design. Combine all of those and compare the field performance and you know which models, coils, frequencies work well, which work OK, which kind-of work, and which ones to forget.

That's really what I have tried to do through the years in order to have a detector 'outfit' with different detectors and coils for the types of hunting I plan to do. Forty-six years ago or so I determined I wanted to have at least two detectors in my arsenal, and as detector design improved, with the goods and bads that come with it, I now like to have at least three to five detectors on-hand that can complement each other for different applications and hunt needs.

Back to the Nokta Impact. There are still two topics I need to bring to Dilek's and Alper's attention regarding the Impact, but overall it is a very impressive detector. This is especially true once you get comfortable with the ease of adjustment control and just relax and get down to detecting. It really is a 'simple' detector to use, very versatile and 'functional,' and it has just enough adjustment features to provide excellent in-the-field 'performance' to satisfy most anyone.

If I were in Canada, it would be one detector I would want to have in my detector group because it can be adjusted for best results for the type of targets you are after and work quite well. Even in that jungle of junky coin metals. angry smiley

Monte

PS: As I mentioned earlier, I am going to send the Canadian coins to Dilek at Nokta first thing Monday morning so they can check out how they perform for them.
February 26, 2017 12:20PM
"Good stuff as per usual Monte.

For a poster to say "For Nokta to air test foreign coins is a waste of their time", doesn't really
comprehend the complexities of bringing a New model metal detector to market.

It HAS TO be done.

When that 'new model' is sold in 'foreign country X or Y', and it's reported back that it won't "detect" [ their particular current coinage ] in Coins Mode, then you have a problem.

The smart manufacturer will spend a lot of time testing foreign coinage and/or New coinage in the recent example of the Euro being adopted overnite, to know that this New Product or range of new products will have factored in as many 'unknown's' as possible.

It's well known Canadian coins have been problematic for many years and it's very encouraging to see steps being taken to consider this problem especially since a Canadian detectorist described other models from this bi-stable manufacturer as 'wishy-washy' on contemporary coinage.

Des D
February 26, 2017 01:56PM
If they could make a setting on the Impact to mimic the analog Tesoro single tone... it gets rid of the wishy-washy on Canadian clad.. simple.
I have 12 detectors in my stable... most are mid to high price detectors,until this year I never dug so much clad as I have with a Tesoro..so for this canuck it's going to be a hard sell to switch to anything else when clad hunting.
I've spent far to much time looking at a screen and deciphering to dig or not to dig a target...Tesoro makes it simple for clad hunting...let your ears do the deciphering.
Lets see what magic Nokta can come up with for the Impactsmiling smiley

Cheers... HH
February 26, 2017 02:27PM
Des D .. I just tried to point things out for the average Nokta Impact user or those with any multi-featured modern detector. If they try to use it and expect to get a lot of excellent visual Target ID info, it isn't going to be easy simply because the desired targets, most Canadian Coins of fairly recent manufacture, are real challenges due to their magnetic properties.

I pointed out that operating frequency selection comes into consideration.

I also pointed out that the search coil type can also be an influence on how a detector behaves in iron nails or with any ferrous type object..

Furthermore, I pointed out that the Impact mode choice was better, from an Audio Response standpoint, when you selected a 2-Tone search mode rather than a multi-tone mode.

Whimpster.. I kind of left the suggestion that while the 2-Tone modes I preferred to the multi-tone options, the 1-Tone Tesoro models had a better or more consistent audio response.

The Nokta's Impact can as well, and I overlooked in proof-reading that I forgot to mention I also used 2-Tone modes with a Tone Break adjustment and reduced the Tone Break setting to '00' which resulted in a Single Tone Audio response. Like the single-tone Tesoro models, the Impact, using a 1-Tone setting worked great on the Canadian problem coins.

That's why I said I can pick the frequency I want on the Impact or pick the Relic, CoRe or Racer 2, and hunt in Canada for their modern magnetic money and do just fine .... if I use them like a Tesoro with a single-tone, and if I ignore the visual Target ID because there's not much we can do about that. Part of the jumpiness is caused by the digital Discrimination, and the use of a Double-D coil doesn't help much, plus the metal alloy of the coins.

Monte
February 26, 2017 02:59PM
Excellent work, as usual, Monte! What software version was your Impact running on these tests?
February 26, 2017 03:09PM
Thanks Monte.

As you found out I found out back a number of years Tesoros are, where a dark secret weapon up here, most Canadian just plain overlooked and those in the know kept quiet.
It didn't help that Tesoro marketing didn't think Canada was worth looking at, they missed the boat. Granted Canada has nowhere near the population of the US and only a fraction of detectorists the US has, they looked the other way. Think Minelab took advantage of this, once the major favorite up here.

Works for me
February 26, 2017 03:09PM
I would love to know how detectable the new British bimetal £1 coin will be, just imagine releasing a new machine into that market only to find there will be a problem detecting their premium modern coins?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 04:42PM by Ringmoney.
February 26, 2017 05:25PM
Tall Tom, I have Ver. 1.08 loaded in the Impact. Heading out the door with it in about 10 minutes to try and get some hunting in before the rain or snow arrives. I plan to use the Impact a lot today, weather permitting, for two reasons: 1.. It works very well. 2.. It is simply a 'fun' detector to hunt with.

Sven1, I used to be a Tesoro Dealer and when I lived in NW Oregon around Portland, there were quite a few Tesoro's sold to folks with plates from Canada. In thee latter '80s and '90s many would come down to Competition Hunts in the US and go back home with one more detector than they came with, and it was quite often a Tesoro. Those must have been some of the wiser Canadians. thumbs down

Okay, heading for the door with the Impact, Relic, Mojave and Vaquero all loaded and ready-to-go.

Monte
February 26, 2017 09:47PM
Sven...shhhh..your letting the cat outa the bag....I can't wait for the 5 dollar coin to come out this yearsmiling smiley
You are absolutely right on.. most of the new metal detecting canucks haven't figured out the secret weapon...most look at the Tesoro as a low end old technology... just because it has a single tone with no VID screen.
I was a non believer as well...my first tesoro detector a compadre...it opened my eyes...now I have five tesoro'ssmiling smiley
Gota give you and a couple more lads the credit to get me to try a tesoro...many thanks smiling smiley

Sven1 Wrote:
> Thanks Monte.
>
> As you found out I found out back a number of yea
> rs Tesoros are, where a dark secret weapon up here
> , most Canadian just plain overlooked and those in
> the know kept quiet.
> It didn't help that Tesoro marketing didn't think
> Canada was worth looking at, they missed the boat.
> Granted Canada has nowhere near the population of
> the US and only a fraction of detectorists the US
> has, they looked the other way. Think Minelab took
> advantage of this, once the major favorite up her
> e.
February 27, 2017 12:54AM
"The Nokta's Impact can as well, and I overlooked in proof-reading that I forgot to mention I also used 2-Tone modes with a Tone Break adjustment and reduced the Tone Break setting to '00' which resulted in a Single Tone Audio response. Like the single-tone Tesoro models, the Impact, using a 1-Tone setting worked great on the Canadian problem coins."

so there you go Sven, you can now 'safely' buy a new Impact, knowing you will be able to 'get it all' in your schoolyards.....

the market for Nokta/Makro is and will continue to be, tiny in Canada compared to other world-wide locales....

it does sound like it would be a fun detector to play with, especially in the 5khz modes, searching for the last of the deep oldies missed by the FBS units.
I can say that I'm very happy with my R2 running the 5x10 coil and plan to hang onto it. It will find pre-2000 clad and 'clean' post 2000 clad...for those who care.
I won't be going for the Impact, I'll leave that to the more intrepid, wallet heavy Canucks like Whimpster.

cheers
February 27, 2017 11:21AM
canslawhero Wrote:

> I won't be going for the Impact, I'll leave that t
> o the more intrepid, wallet heavy Canucks like Whi
> mpster.
>
> cheers

LOL.
I need a new car more than a new detector, detector budget kind of depleted. The vintage modified Teknetics Mark 1, works just fine with the Canuck Claddage as does the Quest Pro and my PI.
So pretty well covered for this year unless I find enough to pay for another detector. The trio covers all my hunting needs. I do have a Tesoro here Silver Sabre Umax in need of repair, it may live again
to hunt.

Works for me
February 27, 2017 12:14PM
I'm afraid you have misjudged me canslawhero....I'm far from fearless, unafraid, undaunted, unflinching,unshrinking,bold,daring,gallant audacious,adventurous,heroic,dynamic, or indomitable....my overburden wallet will not support a Impact at this time....
quite content with my secret weapon at the moment.... smiling smiley

Cheers...

canslawhero Wrote:
>
>" I won't be going for the Impact, I'll leave that t
> o the more intrepid, wallet heavy Canucks like Whi
> mpster."
>
>
February 27, 2017 01:26PM
Whimpster Wrote:
> I'm afraid you have misjudged me canslawhero....I'
> m far from fearless, unafraid, undaunted, unflinch
> ing,unshrinking,bold,daring,gallant audacious,adve
> nturous,heroic,dynamic, or indomitable....my overb
> urden wallet will not support a Impact at this tim
> e....
> quite content with my secret weapon at the moment.
> ... smiling smiley
>
> Cheers...
>
>
> canslawhero Wrote:
> -----
> >
> >" I won't be going for the Impact, I'll leave tha
> t t
> > o the more intrepid, wallet heavy Canucks like W
> hi
> > mpster."
> >
> >

come on Whimpster, you know it's calling you.....13 can be your new lucky number.....
February 27, 2017 07:50PM
Lol....man's gota know his limitations...smiling smiley

canslawhero Wrote:
> Whimpster Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm afraid you have misjudged me canslawhero....
> I'
> > m far from fearless, unafraid, undaunted, unflin
> ch
> > ing,unshrinking,bold,daring,gallant audacious,ad
> ve
> > nturous,heroic,dynamic, or indomitable....my ove
> rb
> > urden wallet will not support a Impact at this t
> im
> > e....
> > quite content with my secret weapon at the momen
> t.