Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For those testing the impact...the real question

Posted by DigDugNY 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For those testing the impact...the real question
February 20, 2017 09:47PM
Has it motivated you to want to make it your primary detector? Or at least one to bring with you on most hunts
Re: For those testing the impact...the real question
February 21, 2017 12:28AM
So far it is not my main detector I have the deus and I trade off. I must feel that no matter what detector I use when I'm out relic hunting I'm not going to feel the detector couldn't get the job done. So as a tester we are looking for glitches at first so you can have a machine where the bugs are fixed. I know the impact is their whole lineup in one machine. As with the deus. So it may replace my racer. But I love that detector also.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 21, 2017 12:38AM
that's the thing with both Nokta & Makro - ALL their units perform well

I think the Impact may have me give the Racer2 a miss & replace my Fors CoRe with it

Most of the best features from two leading manufacturers in one easy to use unit -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
February 21, 2017 12:45AM
The thing I see happening is that all the testers thus far, have pretty much said what has also been said in this thread. The Impact is basically the entire lineup rolled into one machine. This is potentially disaster for anybody that has one of the individual machines that might be wanting to sell them. I think most people are going to reason in their mind saying "why would I spent $500-600 for one machine when I can get the Impact for a few hundred more and have 3 machines in one?". I could be wrong, but I see it as killing the resale value on the other machines. No big deal for the ones that plan on keeping the individual machines but a potential big loss for the others.
February 21, 2017 01:39AM
DigDugNY
Has it motivated you to want to make it your primary detector? Or at least one to bring with you on most hunts?
That's a very good question and, for me, simple to answer. YES, the Impact easily motivated me --- to put it to use against the models that I have considered my 'Primary-Use' detectors as well as others that are in my regular carry travels.

To clarify, I've been enjoying this great sport for over five decades, and I started out primarily Coin Hunting. I still enjoy getting in some Coin Hunting in my travels, but long ago I shifted most of my attention to being an avid Relic Hunter. Most of the competition units out there were easily challenged and bumped from my detector battery this past couple of years thanks to the Nokta FORS CoRe. Excellent balance, simplicity, functions well for either type of application, and the performance impressed me very much. The CoRe became my #1 all-purpose detector, and that was January of 2015.

The current FORS Relic easily climbed to the top of the ladder in January of last year, and while it has been the unit I grab most often with the smallest coil, I also grab another with a mid-sized coil or my FORS CoRe. They all provide a certain level of performance that has kept them virtually tied in the #1 spot in my regular-carry detector battery. Now I have the Impact that, as many have suggested, is basically several detectors in one, and that it is.

The Impact is a serious performer for many types of hunting, and it provides ample search mode options and ample settings to tailor it the way I like it. The one thing to keep in mind is that there is not such thing as a 'perfect' detector, and because of that I consider how a model might fit in my personal arsenal and work for the different types of placers I hunt. The Impact provides all the adjustments and search modes I want or need and is going to be a regular-carry detector in all my travels. It, and at least two FORS Relics and FORS CoRe, because all three of these models qualify, for me, to hold a #1 spot in my detector battery.

When I take my travels for personal hunting or when off on a group outing, I will travel with at least six or seven detectors, with the Impact, two Relics and a CoRe making up my main-use tools. They are all outstanding performers for a wide range of hunting applications, so I will always be prepared for anything I encounter.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
February 21, 2017 02:12AM
Understandable responses...I didn't mean to make it sound like I was asking if it's the end all be all detector, but we have all been waiting patiently for it and at least for me, was curious how it stands up against the f75s, deus, minelab etc. I know a lot of companies have tried to make "all in one" detectors which usually results in someone getting disappointed because one thing wasn't focused on more than another. Is it safe to say from what has been said that Nokta got it right in that sense?
February 21, 2017 02:17AM
Look at Toms notes he says it has world flagship honers with a few more tweaks

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

February 21, 2017 04:30AM
I 2xs what Monte said above.

Recently I sold my 2nd Fors Relic because this machine (Impact) can do all it does and much more. It's all I need in a relic hunting machine for the relics I find in my area, and/but it's a far better old coin hunter, and general purpose machine than the Relic imo -- it also has other capabilities for other types of hunting such as gold nugget and jewelry if/when so desired/needed.

If you only had this machine to use for coin/relic and/or dirt fishin in general = it's a very capable machine to use as a primary search unit in any ground conditions (low med high) mineralization, for any type of targets (coins, relics, jewelry, etc) in both ancient/modern trash, and I'd be beyond comfortable swinging/pitting it against most others out there on any site. Not too many other machines can match that "usage" for all of the above and especially on the same level/with same results.

Me personally - I have several machines but I am 100% confident that this will be my main go to when I want to hunt old coins/relics in iron infested sites for a long time to come and I'll use it for other things/different types of hunting too.

The 3 main machines in my line up now are this 1: (Impact) 2: the CTX, and 3: the Excal II --- all 3 very different and used for different applications even though they can be used for much of the same/similar type hunting in the same/similar type sites (except that the excal can be used as a water/diver machine) and is far better for that application which is why I mainly own/use it being that 4 of the 5 Great Lakes surround Michigan and being that we have over 11,000 smaller inland lakes in total here

I also have an F19, and ML Musky, and now have a T2 on the way that are used for scouting, general hunting scenarios, back ups, and just for when I want to play around with something different now and then.

I would like another Deus (just because I like certain things about them) but I've bought/sold 3 in the last 4 yrs or so while trying/testing several others, and/but with the lineup I currently have I feel I don't really need to spend the $$ on one with all I have in the tool shed as it is = it'd just be a waste of $$ spent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 02:13PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 21, 2017 02:12PM
DigDugNY
Understandable responses...I didn't mean to make it sound like I was asking if it's the end all be all detector, but we have all been waiting patiently for it and at least for me, was curious how it stands up against the f75s, deus, minelab etc. I know a lot of companies have tried to make "all in one" detectors which usually results in someone getting disappointed because one thing wasn't focused on more than another. Is it safe to say from what has been said that Nokta got it right in that sense?
Let me try to explain my above thoughts this way:

For ME and for the sites I prefer to hunt, the bulk of which are quite littered and a challenge with iron debris as well as being very high iron-content mineralized ground, most detectors I have tried haven't done very well. Some were simply terrible and lacked any ability to unmask desired non-ferrous targets (coins, tokens, buttons, bullets, cartridge cases, insignia, etc.) and easily didn't make the cut for me as Relic Hunting detectors.

There were some that did reasonably well, and regarding other brands the ± 14 kHz White's MXT Pro, 19 kHz Fisher F19 and 13 kHz Teknetics T2 were the only models that provided me the type of results I wanted/needed in those environments. Of those three makes and models, they were all at-their-best when they had a smaller size coil mounted for the worst conditions, or a mid-sized coil used for low-to-moderate iron trash, especially if it was mainly just heavily scattered nails. My personal favorite of those three brands and models was the Teknetics T2 'Classic' which showed the best unmasking abilities in the worst environment.

As I mentioned, I also still enjoy Coin Hunting, especially older-use sites such as early era parks, resorts or yards of old homes (with owner's permission of course) Of the above mentioned models I included the White's MXT Pro (All-Pro, same detector) with the Tek. T2 'Classic' because the MXT Pro was a much better Coin Hunting detector for me overall. I had improved TID 'lock-on' with it and the 9" Concentric coil on mid-depth to deeper targets than the T2 with the stock 11" BiAxial (Double-D) coil.

Thus, back then the T2 and MXT Pro made my top-two all-purpose detectors in order to cover my needs for Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting. That was until January of '15 when I got a 15 kHz Nokta FORS CoRe in-hand. It balanced better and surpassed the in-the-field performance of both those models, and others I compared it against, with smaller, mid-size and standard search coils, for both Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting, the emphasis on the latter. It moved the other two out of my arsenal and the FORS CoRe, in my #1 detector use spot, was mainly complemented after that by an original 14 kHz Makro Racer and a Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX, both equipped with the smaller 6" Concentric coil.

January of last year I made some changes in my line-up when the soon-to-be 19 kHz Nokta FORS Relic appeared, accompanied by the 14 kHz Makro Racer 2. Again, I compared what was available with what made up my primary-use detectors and adjusted from there. I already had the 56 kHz Makro Gold Racer and 19 kHz Nokta FORS Gold + that I reserved for 'Specialty-Use' units, and preferred the Racer 2 to the original Racer. The Racer 2 became one of my 'back-up' or 'second string' detectors, but the FORS Relic was simply a better fit for the densely iron contaminated sites where I Relic Hunt. The Relic joined my CoRe as companion #1 detectors for the all-purpose hunting I do.

Enter the new 3 Frequency (5 kHz, 14 kHz and 20 kHz) Nokta Impact. Like you and other serious detector users, I was also holding my breath in hopes of an "end-all" detector that could rival some of the other multi-frequency detectors on the market. I hoped for something in the 12 kHz - 15 kHz mid-range for general-purpose detecting as we know a good quality detector in this operating frequency range can provide us some decent results for either Coin Hunting or Relic Hunting. I hoped for a higher VLF frequency in the 18 kHz - 20 kHz range to challenge the performance I get from the likes of my FORS Relic. And, like others who understand the potential for a little performance edge using a lower operating frequency, I hoped for an option in the 4 kHz - 6 kHz range for more mineralized ground, and also for some help when searching for higher-conductive coins (silver and copper) that might be a little deeper in bad ground environments.

Some detectors have tried to please end consumers with a multi-frequency design, but have usually not been very successful. Now we have the Impact and you asked: "Is it safe to say from what has been said that Nokta got it right in that sense?" The same question I was asking myself. My answer is YES, the Impact has accomplished that goal. And since I am offering my personal opinions I will add that I feel they also accomplished their goals in the market with the former FORS CoRe and then FORS Relic.

Can the Impact be configured to provide very similar performance? Yes, it can.

Does it move the Relic and CoRe out of their #1 spot in my primary-use detector battery? No, it doesn't. It just joins them, giving me a trio of models that I know I can rely on to provide the levels of performance I expect from them in many applications. That said, I also appreciate the fact that it allows me to make use of additional search modes, some rather unique to the industry, as well as select the operating Frequency I feel best suits the site conditions. It can provide me the versatility of different search modes and programs that complement my other main-use detectors and that lets me hold the winning hand with my Impact, Relic's and CoRe, all at-the-ready and riding along so that I can be set to handle any type of site conditions imaginable.

The Impact is a lot of detector in one, so to speak, but that doesn't mean it completely overshadows their own models in the line-up because all that they offer are marketed at a very fair and reasonable price, and the Relic and CoRe are likely to be a better 'fit' for many detector users who want to save a little money, but who also might feel intimidated by the Impact's wide array of modes features and their level of knowledge to try and master it. Quite a few people just like things a bit simpler, yet still have the performance edge the other models provide.

On the other hand, I know some prefer, or can't afford, to just have one or maybe two detectors, and for them the Impact is an excellent consideration because it IS several detectors in one with ample adjustment functions. We all have our own set of preferences, and for me the Impact is a very good fit in my regular-carry detector battery.

Monte
February 21, 2017 02:32PM
I always appreciate the detailed responses Monte...glad to know the impact has indeed been making the name for itself. My interest in getting one has exponentially grown the more I read about it
February 21, 2017 08:08PM
I think Monte is a big racer fan but the Impact has the racer packed into it with three freq and more to progarm

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]