Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

RUTUS ALTER 71 THREAD

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
RUTUS ALTER 71 THREAD
February 23, 2017 03:57AM
Since a few 71's are now in the hands of American Detectorists, I thought it would be good to get a thread going, trying to keep the posts in one spot .
I bought one thru Detecnick's in the UK, with postage, Around $800. Took 9 days to arrive in Missouri, USA. It comes with an 11" dd coil, and a 9" x 8" concentric coil,
with the 9 x 8 being a bonus coil for the early bird purchasers. Here is the Thread Ziggy started last fall [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Also look up Ziggyjinx you tube videos. where he did some test hunts.

Some Information here on the Alter 71 ZIGGY gathered below.

At the turn of October and November will release a new detector. The name "Alter 71" - from the Latin "other" and the number 71 represents the number of available frequencies.
Alter 71 is probably the world's first metal detector continuously tunable as a function of frequency. The detector is tunable from 4.4 kHz to 18.4 kHz increments of 0.2 kHz - without the need to replace the probe. I know of no current market detector is not possible. The detector is equipped with a radio transmitter digital data allowing such cooperation. With handsets or "wireless headphone jack." Digital transmission has been specially designed for this purpose - does not introduce any delays. 6 hours of battery life "toes" depends on the frequency and ranges from 20 to 50 hours. The detector has the ability to work in a static mode, dynamic or so. mix - the dynamics of the "mixa" can go smoothly depending on the needs.
Graphic display, ID - 120 points, discrimination classical and selective, chart depending on the phase of the signal, automatically tuning to the ground speed control filters ground in a very wide range, the possibility of programming your own sounds, ranges, speed, separation and many other features make the it is a detector at the world level.
The detector has a completely new mechanical design and is lighter than our existing detectors over 200 g.
For the detector probe will be available both DD and concentric.

Regulatory elements:
Discrimination
tenderness
Target selective 120 points
Operating frequency of 4.4 kHz to 18.4 kHz jump 0.2
hotrocks
Response filters (groundwater) - 8 speeds to choose from
Masking 7 levels
The signal level leading
Ton leading signal
Sensitivity leading signal - regulation allowing for a smooth transition from pure dynamic work to "mix-a"
Strengthening Audio - regulation allows to change the sound characteristics of a dynamic channel and switch it off completely (we obtain in this way the work of a purely static)
Volume
Tony - three sound profiles to search for coins, three to "relics, and three freely programmable by the user
Wireless nature - off, Channel 1, Channel 2
Backlight - 29 adjustable levels
Type of ID - true (depending on frequency), converted to 6kHz, converted to 12 kHz
Hold time - adjustable display time information about an object on the LCD.

Detector has 7 default programs: a deep, deep, large silver, basic, coins, fast, very fast. Factory programs offer a fairly wide cross-section of the possibility of the detector in search of various objects in different conditions. Each factory program can be modified to suit your needs - and the changes are saved when the power is turned off. In case the modifications do not meet user expectations - it is possible to reset each program to factory settings.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 04:14AM by possum mo.
Re: RUTUS ALTER 71 THREAD
February 23, 2017 04:07AM
I turned it on, and did some bench testing , and was amazed how poor this unit air tested. 12" on a silver half dollar. I then took it out to my test garden, put it in deep mode and ground balanced the unit, which is very easy, and it nailed all clad dimes I have buried, from 4 to 10" in one inch intervals. It just hammered my 10" dime hard, with accurate target id.
WOW. My soil is tough. I never owned a detector with this kind of results on that dime. The real tests will come on actual hunts of course. I do need to study up on the different settings. The menu is very easy to scroll thru. The manual is also rather easy to understand, and explains what alot of the settings do. I think I'm going to have fun with this unit!
February 23, 2017 09:00AM
Thank you for the mention..... Been out with this a few more times off camera and been enjoying it, like with the Rutus Jupiter I truly feel the Magic is in the smaller concentric coil, with this coil attached the machine really works hard for the price tag, I don't feel there is any machine on the market that can out do this machine when amongst the nails, some may even it out Just! but the Rutus really works hard when the ground is busy.
Truly a nice all rounder machine that is very versatile, just feel Rutus ain't doing enough to promote this machine, if I recall they ain't updated their FBook page in a while and the machine is relatively new so they should be jumping about shouting about the machine In a appropriate manor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 10:32PM by Ziggy.
February 23, 2017 10:05AM
This is one detector i really want to try out, i love the idea of being able to more precisely tune the khz to the soil conditions and the targets your hunting for.
The ground where i am can vary greatly, i can imagine taking a test target with me on a days detecting, say a small silver hammered, burying it and going through the khz range until i get the best response, could this work and be a really exacting way to hunt ??
The depth it gets in an air test wouldn't put me off in the least.

possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I turned it on, and did some bench testing , and w
> as amazed how poor this unit air tested. 12" on
> a silver half dollar. I then took it out to my t
> est garden, put it in deep mode and ground balance
> d the unit, which is very easy, and it nailed all
> clad dimes I have buried, from 4 to 10" in one in
> ch intervals. It just hammered my 10" dime hard,
> with accurate target id.
> WOW. My soil is tough. I never owned a detector wi
> th this kind of results on that dime. The real te
> sts will come on actual hunts of course. I do nee
> d to study up on the different settings. The menu
> is very easy to scroll thru. The manual is also r
> ather easy to understand, and explains what alot o
> f the settings do. I think I'm going to have fun
> with this unit!
February 23, 2017 11:58AM
ghound,

The way I'm currently using it is by cross checking certain targets in certain Programs e.g. Coins, Basic, Fast, Ultra Fast etc.
Where it becomes "laborious" is, you [have to] GB after every Program change but you can override it by pulling the trigger thereby re-setting to a Factory Preset.
Then, you can press Menu and go to Audio and then manually change Tones into a few other choices.
Changing frequency does not alter the target sounds too much and in a lot of cases doesn't make any difference? So it's not as easy as that - there's a lot more user options to change how it sounds.

For example, yesterday on a few 'iffy scratchy' signals in Coins, switching to Relic 1 'improved' the signal's audio clarity.

So, the way to use it as you suggested and 'bury your test item' and set and cross check your choices just the once.
Then search and leave and try not to beat yourself up about " was I using the wrong settings?"

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 12:03PM by Des D.
February 23, 2017 01:00PM
Thanks Des, with one coil being able to cover the full khz change, does altering of the khz say between say 7khz to 18khz be as noticable on targets as a more dedicated 2 or 3 freq machine?
Do you feel it's at it's peak performance at a particular freq?
February 23, 2017 08:22PM
"Jury still out ghound...I don't know at this point?
Still at the experimental stages so no long hunt yet!
It'll be Day 11 or 12 before I really figure it out?
My 'usual' routine is extensive use for 4 to 6 weeks!"
February 23, 2017 09:19PM
I havnt been able to get out with mine yet ( frozen Ground) Menu seems easy to navigate I have both coils but got it for the 9 inch concentric to work the iron. I will post results in timesmileys with beer
February 23, 2017 10:51PM
Got mine in today, and am super impressed with the machine. Going to test it tommorrow. I really like the covers being included and the coils feel very sturdy and seem like they should last a very long time. I really like the ability to change frequency it can help me with interference from other machines as most run on 14 or 15 khz at least the at pro and the mxt series does.

Thus I'm going to run during club hunts 16 just to keep it a weird off frequency that nobody else is using.
February 24, 2017 04:47AM
Ziggy, thanks for bringing the 71 to our attention. I do not follow the UK forums, I would have never known this unit existed.
ghound, the air testing does not mean much to me either, as usually the real ground tests come in at less than half that depth.
The last bad air testing machine I bought was a Sovereign XS, in the 90's and I have 2 of them in the tool box today.
Des, you must be retired to spend 4-6 weeks testing a machine!. I'm still working , so my time is very limited.
I hope you put or findings in an E book or find some way to share with us your findings! This machine seems to have such potential!

I did some air tests on the USA coinage and junk targets , to give non users an idea where the targets fall.
Silver 50c.......115, Silver 25c...113, Silver dime...109, clad coins read one point lower, copper cent...107, zinc cent... 97, nickel ...67
assorted bottle caps , plated and rusty 82 - 99, sq. alum tab...66, round pulltab w/ tab...71, tab without ring...59-63,
crushed flat alum. screw cap 91. Visual target numbers are from 1 to 120.
Med. size mans 10k ring...74, Ultra thin womans 14K gold ring...50
$1 gold coin, 1851....49 , $5 gold coin 1905......75
HH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 08:59PM by possum mo.
February 24, 2017 10:05AM
That's quite the numbers spread sad smiley
February 25, 2017 02:52AM
I made it to the beach today with the 71, with the 11dd coil. Every new detector I get I like to head to the beach for easy digging. It is a one acre beach, fresh water lake. The manual recommends starting out in the basic mode, so that's what I did. 8khz, I bumped the sensitivity to 90, which is max. Very easy to ground balance, it ran smooth in this area of dry sand. I buried a med. size mans tungsten carbide ring, which reads out 74 on the numerical ID. This ring reads the same as my med size 10K , so I now use it for testing. I buried it 12" deep, and the 71 detected it. Good audio both ways. I buried a clad dime at 11", and the 71 hit it again, but more iffy audio , but consistent both ways, no numerical readout. Where the digging was easy, in a real hunt, I would have dug that target. . At the very bottom of the detection range, the audio sound gets small, ( modulated.) Most of the audio signals are strong and loud , except near the bottom range.
I was going to spend the rest of the time, just testing the rest of the programs and some settings, but I could not do it. I had to hunt this beach! I did hunt it last fall with the sov gt, and the racer 1 with big coil, and others have hunted it as well, so there is not a lot of good stuff left.
I kept it in the basic program, and ran the sensitivity between 85 and 90. Every now and then , I would get one false beep, would rescan it, and it would disappear. That happens when running it hot. Machine ran very smooth. I picked up 8 clad, the deepest was a dime at 7" . I also picked up 3 junk rings and a cheap earing. ((((Swing speed was 2 seconds from left to right for the deep stuff)))
On the junk side, I hit 2 pulltabs , with the tab attached, and curled around the ring, at 10" deep. These read at 116, and this happened a lot, as I was running the sensitivity so high, it up averages the numbers into the coin range. I was more interested in seeing how deep this unit could detect, rather than being concerned about the accuracy of the TID. I hit another signal in the hi 90's, dug down 15", and hit a pair of wire rimmed sunglasses laying flat at the bottom. Another target sounded good, but no TID, Dug down 15" , and hit an alum beer can standing up.. I covered it back up, and could get a signal with the coil 3" above the sand.
On the deep trash targets, a lot of times the audio was not real clean sounding, where as a coin, the audio tends to be more clean . When searching for the deep stuff, at hi power, its best to rely more on the audio, than the TID. This unit is deep, and powerful, and fun to use. The only other unit I have used that comes near the depth of the 71, is the Signum w/10" -7khz I had, when properly ground balanced. I have never owned a current pulse unit , or ctx. I will want to put more hours on this unit before I venture onto a park or manicured lawn. But for beach and relic hunting, where a shovel can be used, I will get a bunch of hours on it.
The next time I get to the beach, I'll have to take it out of the basic setting, and get some deeper testing done. The deep silver , deep and ultra deep programs should have more punch! Not bad for an $800 detector! HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 02:56AM by possum mo.
February 25, 2017 09:10AM
Good report Possum, thanks.
February 25, 2017 10:17AM
Does it have built in wi-fi phones ??
February 25, 2017 02:02PM
diggers,
As per manual quote:"Alter 71 has a built-in wireless digital transmitter which can work on one of two available radio frequencies.
The design of the digital connection was made especially for our detectors - therefore there is no lag or background noise.
The use of the accompanying wireless device is detailed in their respective user's manuals" end quote.

Fairly vague but lends credence to it being able to in the future being compatible to some systems?

In the Menu, you can turn Wireless on & off.

I can confirm it does not work turned ON with the Garrett Z-Lynk system while it works admirably with it set to OFF working on the set by itself.

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 02:04PM by Des D.
February 28, 2017 04:00PM
Hi all,
I became a member on this forum to join the discusssion about the Rutus Alter 71.
Have used the Rutus Alter 71 for one week, (demo model) enjoyed it so much that I have decided to get me one.
I'm an avid detectorist using mostly analogue machines (XP GMP, Golden Mask 1+, Vista Smart). Tried the Deus a couple of years ago but that didn't made me buy it.
It's different with the Rutus, for some reason I really connect with this machine.
Expecting my own Rutus Alter somewhere next week and looking forward to exchange experiences here.thumbs down
February 28, 2017 06:23PM
Just wondering if there happens to be a video in English that runs through the entire menu/settings and explains them in detail. With my limited time, I find reference videos an extremely invaluable asset. Thanks
February 28, 2017 08:23PM
devilpookie Wrote:
> Just wondering if there happens to be a video in E
> nglish that runs through the entire menu/settings
> and explains them in detail. With my limited time,
> I find reference videos an extremely invaluable as
> set. Thanks

Coming Soon

(Am working on it but weather challenged)
February 28, 2017 08:48PM
Des D Wrote:
> devilpookie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just wondering if there happens to be a video in
> E
> > nglish that runs through the entire menu/setting
> s
> > and explains them in detail. With my limited tim
> e,
> > I find reference videos an extremely invaluable
> as
> > set. Thanks
>
> Coming Soon
>
> (Am working on it but weather challenged)

Excellent!! Thank you. Subscribed (a few weeks ago actually).
March 01, 2017 03:17AM
I will be posting one shortly on my youtube channel smiling smiley just search diggs4ever. not trying to give myself a plug but hey spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 01, 2017 03:27AM
I took Mr. Rutus back to the freshwater beach I was at last week for more testing/ detecting. About an acre in size, with the sand having been trucked in. First test I buried a 1/2 pint glass jar with plastic lid full of zinc pennies. I dug down until I hit the hard layer. I laid the jar horizontal, as the sand was 26" deep. I filled the hole, and piled a few inches of sand on top, so it was 24" deep. I set the 71 in the deep mode, ground balanced, set the sensitivity to 90( max), disc at 25. 7 KHZ. Every setting was factory preset, except the disc and sensitivity. I could barely get any audio response, at least nothing I would dig in a hunt. I scrapped an inch of sand off the top, and then I was able to get good audio , repeatable most of the time, definitely a dig me signal. VDI was bouncy.
My next test was to bury a silver half at 20". Good audio about 25% of the time. No VDI. I scraped an inch of sand off the area, and the audio banged on it most of the time, with a VDI usually hitting 119. Definitely a dig me signal.
Next comes the eye popper. My medium size tungsten carbide test ring, which tests out the same as my med. size 10k gold wedding ring ( VDI 74) , I buried 18" deep. I had Good audio 75% of the time , no VDI.
Definitely a dig me signal.
I switched over to the deep silver program, Reburied the silver half 20" deep, good audio 75% of the time, no VDI. I then scraped an inch of sand off the area, rechecked it, and at 19", awesome audio, and steady VDI.
Keep in mind, I have less than 10 hrs on this detector. With more experience and a few tweeks, who knows what the limit is? Also this is dry beach sand, it probably will not do this well in dirt. At home, my dirt is orange clay type crud with lots of rocks, it would really be a chore to dig a 20" hole!
Today I hunted in the deep setting, backed off the sensitivity to 85, and searched. The audio in the deep silver and deep modes are like the Nautilus, you hear the all metal channel and the disc channel. It will take a bit for me to get used to. The all metal audio can be shut off, but the depth is a bit less. I turned it back on, gotta get used to it. Below is a quote from Charles( sabre)(tx) regarding the Nautilus audio, that he posted a few days ago. I hope he does not mind my reposting it in this post.
" Once you have ground balanced your unit...being that it is a "beep-dig" unit...listening to the responses is the key. From what I understand you are doing the right thing by listening to the duration of the (low tone
) all metal response in relation to the time the (high tone) discrimination response kicks in. A coin usually will share a very close response time in relation to the all metal response...sometimes almost the same. Iron objects
usually have a very distinct low tone duration well before the high tone discrimination sound beeps in. Large iron...however...can cause a problem if your discrimination is set too high...as the unit cannot do it's work trying
to distinguish the difference between the two. That is...the time differential becomes less noticeable between the two signals. If your unit is properly set for your area the all metal low tone in one ear will sound off at almost
the same time (simultaneously) as the high tone in the other ear. In other words...if you hear the all metal low tone well before the high tone...then it's probably iron. If the sounds (high and low) are sounding off almost
simultaneously...then it's probably a coin. The nuances are there and a lot of things can affect it but with practice you will find the Nautilus to be a real deepseeker in mild to moderate soils. My unit certainly has found the
deepest relics and coins for me over all other units. It takes more work...but the pay-offs can be phenomenal! ( Thanks Charles!!)
I was having some problems with rusty bottle caps, and I think it was me not getting the audio right. I did alright on the shallower alum pulltabs, as the hodograph would smear the pattern, or the pattern would curl to a half circle. The deep pulltabs, I just have to dig them til I get more experience. I dug a ring pull, with the tab curled around the ring at 14". Good audio, no VDI).
I did pick up a 12" clad quarter, good audio and VDI , and a penny at 3". I dug up 2 more rings, a thin silver kids ring, and another heavy mens tungsten ring , shallow. So far, 3 beach visits , 6 junk rings, and an earring.
In a few days I hope to hit a rock infested beach, to maybe try the 8 x 9" concentric coil. So far I have only used the 11 dd coil. Til next time, HH
March 01, 2017 11:02AM
Interesting tests possum.

The Polish maker of Rutus told me: "Alter is very powerful machine, so don't be afraid of the depth of detection!" End quote.
March 01, 2017 12:48PM
Subtitles:
[www.youtube.com]
March 01, 2017 02:47PM
Shelton Wrote:
> Subtitles:
> [www.youtube.com]

the menu is in a foriegn language, Doesnt help 70% of the world
March 01, 2017 05:47PM
The menu is in English by default the other option is Polish the youtube video is made for Polish people
March 01, 2017 06:33PM
sanjuro Wrote:
> The menu is in English by default the other option
> is Polish the youtube video is made for Polish peo
> ple

Yes. That is true.
March 01, 2017 08:05PM
A few weeks ago I as able to try the Rutus Alter 71 for one week. Normally I use the Vista Smart. I've also used the XP GMP and Golden Mask 1+
Especially the Vista Smart is a absolutely great machine. Fast and very deep, low tone for iron, high tone for everything else, simple! But.. the audio is kind of flat and I dig a lot of junk with it. Especially on the riverbanks of the Rhine and Waal rivers where I frequently detect.
I have tried a digital machine before (XP Deus) but wasn't impressed, could not connect with this machine.
Now, I've tried the Rutus Alter for about a week, and I do connect with this machine and I am impressed.
On the last day of my tryout I found a well over 200 year old golden ring, in the sand near the river. Solid repeatable audio, steady 47 on the VDI (set to 12 kHz) I used program Coins, 15,4kHz, audio profile relic1.
Can't recall what the signograph looked like, was to exited! hot smiley
You can see it in my detectingblog here (sorry, text in Dutch)
With the dual audio, VDI and signograph I get much more information on what to expect under the coil, so I dig a lot less junk, and by the end of the day I will have found more goodies.
Detecting with the digital Rutus Alter is fun.
Expecting my own one next week!thumbs down
March 01, 2017 11:56PM
Wow Vince, that ring is beautiful! I feel the same way.. I connect with the 71, even though I have a lot to learn.
Des, LOL, "don't be afraid of the depth of this machine" . Tell my aching back that today!
March 02, 2017 02:52AM
Anyone run a all metal program or notch out the 118-120? what is the best settings for Iron beds with the concentric coil?
March 02, 2017 02:27PM
That is a very nice gold ring find, Vince.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

HH
Mike