Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

In a slump...

Posted by BIG PAPA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: In a slump...
March 11, 2017 05:19PM
"To be honest any one of my simple machines would have very likely have seen every one of those targets and more."

You can't possibly be serious? You have no idea what the ground conditions were like,nor how I set up the CTX, nor what coils I used, nor what my skill level is at, and you can honestly make a statement like that and think it's not only rational, but correct?

That says a lot about you.

On second thought, maybe I need a video demonstration. So go ahead and put an indian head penny under a dozen nails and lets see if it detects the penny.
March 11, 2017 10:26PM
What I am saying is, as your set up was that day, a simple machine that handles iron well
would have likely done as good or better job.
That 2" is one thing, that is a shallow difference.
The other thing is how many times it has happened that advanced users have hit a ghost town
and not done well with known good machines, modern machines.
They go back to the car and take out a Compadre, the keepers start to appear.

Then of course there are the older simple machines.
50Khz & 100Khz machines. They are very competitive when it comes to iron laden sites.
Especially when it's a matter of that 2" inches.

That spot sounds like a nightmare.
Sometimes you wish you could rake/drag/plow through a spot like that with something that has
strong magnets attached.
Back breaking work, there is probably buckets full of nails in that spot.
March 12, 2017 01:05AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is no secret. If a site stops producing, then
> what is left is masked. You have to spend time rem
> oving masking items. That means digging a lot of i
> ron junk.
>
> I was at a local park with my 3030 and they remove
> d 11 inches of dirt. I went over that patch for ho
> urs 3 days in a row finding only a few coins. The
> forman said to me, "we are removing two more inche
> s tomorrow". So I came back the next day. I found
> 7 indians, 6 early wheats, my first large cent, 3
> buffalo nickels and 3 v nickels an my first intact
> crotal bell all less than an inch AFTER they remov
> ed just two inches of dirt. My ctx should of saw t
> hose, but there was such a carpet of iron nails in
> that two inches, it couldn't. I thought masking wa
> s a joke until that day.

If you find the dirt they removed you find good ones for sure as they would be rearranged and open.
I did that one time and it was one of my best hunts.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
March 12, 2017 01:07AM
(This reply is not in a hostile tone)

An advanced machine does not equal an advanced user. I get that and agree. However, I am damn good with the CTX. Not bragging. I have used it since it was released, at least 3 days a week every week, year round, even in the dead of winter with three inches of frozen ground for years. Most of the time, I can not only tell what type of coin im going to dig, but if I know the site, I can tell the date(with-in ten years) just by the depth and the way the CTX is reacting.

"What I am saying is, as your set up was that day, a simple machine that handles iron well
would have likely done as good or better job. "

I'm waiting to see a video of this.

"That 2" is one thing, that is a shallow difference."

You can lay a millimeter thick, sheet 2 inch square piece of iron over any coin and I dont care what machine you have, it wont see it. Have you checked out Tom's articles like "beneath the iron mask"?

"Then of course there are the older simple machines.
50Khz & 100Khz machines. They are very competitive when it comes to iron laden sites"

Possibly.

"That spot sounds like a nightmare."

No it was fun and I truly learned what masking is.

"Sometimes you wish you could rake/drag/plow through a spot like that with something that has
strong magnets attached."

Yea I thought of that at some sites where there is really old stuff.

"Back breaking work, there is probably buckets full of nails in that spot."

It was nails and iron particles.
March 12, 2017 02:39AM

You can lay a millimeter thick, sheet 2 inch square piece of iron over any coin and I dont care what machine you have, it wont see it.

Ok, just a second.

I have been detecting for 31 years. I've found things of every description.
I have never found, or have seen found, a 2" square piece of iron nearly .040" thick.
That is certainly not a nail.
Just how many of these 2" square iron pieces did you recover?

That location, was it formerly a manufacturing facility?
War production?
Something along those lines?
March 12, 2017 03:38AM
Very good responses, I admit sometimes feel like another hobby...but most of our frustration is likely location....you need good locations...not that often a field get's the top layer removed to reveal deep targets.Slumps pass or I would of quit years ago....good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2017 04:01AM by guvmore.
March 12, 2017 07:20AM
Rich, my experience mirrors your good advice about not overlooking less aged sites for silver.

Sure, I like older sites. As a general rule, the earlier the site the better the average keeper.

But there is something to be said for any silver find. There is no logical reason why finding any silver, even the omnipresent 1964-d dime should be such a kick for me. But I'm at 1964-d #63 now, and it still is.

Proximity and opportunity have made at least half the sites I've hunted postwar suburban properties. I can tell you that some of my best sites for silver totals have been the yards of those 1950's era ranch homes. It was a time of unprecedented prosperity and disposable income with lots of young families and yard activity. Many coins were dropped, a good percentage of it still within detectable depth and without high amounts of masking. And up until November 1965, every US coin dropped that was 10 cents or higher was silver.

I've found numerous early 1960's sites to be OK silver producers too. Oddly, the only silver dollar I ever found was in the front yard of an early 60's property.
March 12, 2017 03:41PM
Well even if I am in a slump right now, reading all of your comments and suggestions gives me lots to think about. I definitely will not be giving up on the hobby unless I have to hire a dozer to take off a foot before I can find anything! Lol!
March 21, 2017 02:51AM
From a recent post by Mike in CO.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,69178,123725,page=9#msg-123725

EDIT - As a side note, I was doing some 'performance seeing coins in nails' tests with some of my units recently, and just for grins, I pulled out some of the older non-motion units from the '70s...
Every one of them STOMPED every modern detector tested. (...with the critical exception of the category of depth, of course, where performance was dismal for the older units.)
Non motion units don't care which direction you approach nails/coins from...tip/side/point...it's all the same. Zero falsing.
Ignores the nails, and hits the coins solid.

It's pretty awesome to watch/see.

Let me repeat that.......
"I pulled out some of the older non-motion units from the '70s...
Every one of them STOMPED every modern detector tested."

Non motion units don't care which direction you approach nails/coins from...tip/side/point...it's all the same.
Zero falsing.
Ignores the nails, and hits the coins solid.

It's pretty awesome to watch/see.

You see there?
That is what I was talking about!!

Now back to that 2" difference

Shallow depth, ignores nails, and hits the coins solid

Exactly why I said, what I said.
Where I come from the above is well known "Fact"

One of those simple old units is certainly worth a try at that nail infested site.
March 23, 2017 09:46PM
A trick I use when I go on a dry spell is. I forget everything I have learned research wise and do everything different. I will take google earth and just scan for anything that looks old. when I find a area I take the measurement tool and measure tree canopyes looking for over 70 feet to 120 foot diamaters or apple trees 14-16 foot diam. Ive found hundreds of spots over the years using this technique. Just throw away the maps for a week and go with your gut basiaclly. works everytime my friend, Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 09:48PM by Diggs4ever.
March 24, 2017 05:27PM
Diggs4ever, that is one of the best research tips I have ever read. Thank you.

Mike