Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How Well Will The Nokta Fors Relic Work On Wet Beach Sand?

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How Well Will The Nokta Fors Relic Work On Wet Beach Sand?
March 15, 2017 02:27AM
I'm just curious because I'm heading off to Galveston Beach next week to stay at my sister's beach home.

tabman
Re: How Well Will The Nokta Fors Relic Work On Wet Beach Sand?
March 15, 2017 02:39AM
Did plenty of wade fishing in Galveston, in the Gulf...almost 40 years ago....man, time flies. Didn't detect back then....never saw any detectorists on the beach back then either.

Good luck tabman, get some gold.
March 15, 2017 01:19PM
I don't know about the relic, but your AT Pro should work ok. I've never taken it into the surf however. Did great on the dry sand, no steel bottlecaps. Of course, you'll be using your Mojave on dry sand smiling smiley
March 15, 2017 01:46PM
The Relic has COG mode which is made for salt/alkali soils. I would give that a go. I don't have an experience at the beach with it myself, though sad smiley.

Dean
March 15, 2017 02:14PM
Thanks everyone! I know that most detectors will work on dry sand at a ocean beach, but I'm curious to know if the Relic will work in wet sand. I don't plan on getting in the surf. I'd need a good PI detector (Sand Shark) for that. BTY, I'm going to take my Mojave just for the hell of it. I want to see if the ground condition switch set to 'high' will give me any benefit. Around here in my mild soil setting it on it on 'low' works great.

tabman
March 15, 2017 07:53PM
Oh heck, I just went and ordered a Tesoro Sand Shark from Rusty. Now I know that I'll have something that will work in the surf as well as the wet sand.

Any pointers are welcome, because I'm a greenhorn at beach detecting. I might get lucky and find a gold ring or two.

tabman
March 15, 2017 10:17PM
Lol Tab
March 17, 2017 12:53PM
Welgund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lol Tab

I couldn't help myself.

tabman
March 17, 2017 05:14PM
Galveston Oh' Galveston.
Sorry I couldn't help myself. Lol.
One of Glen Campbell's Best.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 05:18PM by Harold,ILL..
March 17, 2017 05:24PM
Galveston Oh' Galveston.
Sorry I couldn't help myself. Lol.
One of Glen Campbells Best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 06:36PM by Harold,ILL..
March 17, 2017 08:10PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Galveston Oh' Galveston.
> Sorry I couldn't help myself. Lol.
> One of Glen Campbells Best.

I can just picture a soldier over in Vietnam cleaning his gun and thinking about Galveston. LINK

A lot of soldiers didn't make it back home.

tabman
March 17, 2017 08:34PM
Yes, a lot of People don't know what that song is really about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 08:34PM by Harold,ILL..
March 18, 2017 02:08PM
While I found the Racer 2 to work in the wet sand it would false when the waves hit it and in testing it really didn't have much depth in the wet sand even on large gold rings. Not sure how the Impact would do but I have from experience found the single frequency machine just don't cut it unless that's all you have to work with..
March 18, 2017 02:35PM
Thanks that's what I figured. I wonder how a CZ5 would fair in the depth department when using it in the wet sand and would it false a lot in the surf.

Are there other detectors that would work well that have some discrimination? Digging pry caps all day long doesn't sound like a lot of fun? The 3030 I'm told would work well, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money on a detector that won't see the water much, since I don't near an ocean.

tabman
March 18, 2017 07:11PM
CZ5 would work very well in wet salt sand. Put it in salt mode, ground balance and be on your way. Just make sure the control box does not get wet nor lift the coil too far up in the air where the salt water can travel down the shaft and go into the box via the cable connector.

All CZ's work well in wet, salt sand.

Your SS should not have any problems...just go into the hunt with the mindset to dig everything because PI hunting is different and having the correct mindset helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 07:13PM by therover61.
March 19, 2017 05:41PM
I found it to run very smooth on salt water even when coil was submerged...

Have to use Cog mode..

I was in the Florida panhandle..

Its still a VLF though so.....................................................

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 19, 2017 07:22PM
Thanks Keith for the info!

tabman
March 20, 2017 02:26PM
I have used the FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Racer 2 in a couple of very wet and very salty environments and they performed well.

I have used a couple of other single-frequency VFL's in the past decade-and-a-half against friends using a few different 'multi-frequency' detectors and matched or in several cases bested the performance they gave. I am referring to multi's from Fisher, Minelab and White's. I've never encountered a salt water search were I felt a multi-frequency detector was all so superior, yet I have hunted wet salt beach environments and enjoyed impressive results with several single-frequency favorites.

Just a matter of opinions we each are entitled to, and I am quite satisfied I have the units in my arsenal that work well in such conditions as needed. Next trip to the very salty wet-zone will be checking out the new Nokta Impact, and I seriously doubt there will be any negatives when I do.

Monte