Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NASA-Tom, as fastidious as you are...

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NASA-Tom, as fastidious as you are...
March 15, 2017 03:39PM
...do you happen to cross reference solunar data with your detecting results?

There are those who feel that (primarily) the moon's position/age/phase influences many things in nature, possibly including the electrical signatures of buried metallic objects.

This video on youtube specifically mentions this thinking at approximately the 10 minute mark:

[www.youtube.com]

I believe all of us have experienced days when targets seemed to jump out at us in even the hardest worked sites, and other times when we could not BUY a signal. Could it be solunar influence(s)? Sun spot activity? Moon phase; distance from Earth?

Is there science?

Thanks.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: NASA-Tom, as fastidious as you are...
March 15, 2017 03:58PM
Lets face it luck has a lot to do with what we find...And we all know on some days we are more alert and well on certain days our detectors seem to work better may be the answer....Whether the weather(no pun intended) has a bearing is sure debateable....
March 15, 2017 04:12PM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are those who feel that (primarily) the moon's position/age/phase influences many things in nature,
> possibly including the electrical signatures of buried metallic objects.

A common occurrence when using an LRL. But not with a metal detector.
March 15, 2017 08:46PM
Wayne,

The moon cycle plays a direct role to tides and tide-cycles (and human cycles...... especially females). It is the primary dictating factor as to 'when' I will hunt the beach. BUT........ as far as having specific attributes to the metal detection of targets... (and/or of brass in particular) ....... I have yet to validate...... or even experience this phenomenon. BUT......... time-of-day does matter..... for (primarily) reasons of 'moisture content'.

Recently........ I had an experience where my cell-phone was unable to hook-up to a tower at a location that I have never encountered a problem. Then....... I noticed that the FM radio in my car was hardly picking up several of my normal stations. And....... a friend of mine .....of whom is a ham operator....... commented on his inability to have any 'distance' on his ham-radio. Then....... I seemed to encounter greater EMI coupled with less-detection with the proto Impact AND my primary staple (well-versed) unit.....the F75. . . . . . . at a site that I consider to be nearly 'variables-removed'........"Real World Test Garden". The only 2 things that I could think of was...... N. Korea nuke testing........ or a natural solar flare. I leaned more towards the latter. But....... have yet to prove if any of this speculation with a metal detector is true.

P.S. = It is a well documented phenomenon that cops are extra-busy when there is a full moon.
March 15, 2017 09:01PM
I agree, I think it's an EMI issue.

IMHO the next big jump for VLF detectors will be tackling the EMI issue(s). Put a RF spectrum analyzer chip on there to scan the channels for the most clean, and put the machine on that frequency.
March 16, 2017 12:40AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I agree, I think it's an EMI issue.
>
> IMHO the next big jump for VLF detectors will be t
> ackling the EMI issue(s). Put a RF spectrum analy
> zer chip on there to scan the channels for the mos
> t clean, and put the machine on that frequency.

Cal, That's what the Minelabs Explorer series do somehow, called Noise Cancel.
March 16, 2017 12:53AM
Ground moisture on different days can change a spot from dead to seemingly full of targets. The higher freq machines and they're tighter waves are really hindered more than lower freq machines.

Just another reason right now is relic season for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 12:54AM by deadlift.
March 16, 2017 04:24PM
Using a LRL a lot these days, are you Carl? grinning smiley
March 16, 2017 05:12PM
Exactly, so I'm not sure why nobody else is doing it.

It cannot be a patent infringement, as spectrum analyzers have been used to navigate RF before Minelab was a company.

ozzie Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I agree, I think it's an EMI issue.
> >
> > IMHO the next big jump for VLF detectors will be
> t
> > ackling the EMI issue(s). Put a RF spectrum ana
> ly
> > zer chip on there to scan the channels for the m
> os
> > t clean, and put the machine on that frequency.
>
>
> Cal, That's what the Minelabs Explorer series do s
> omehow, called Noise Cancel.
March 16, 2017 05:32PM
Interesting topic, I have had only one time when targets were showing up like hot cakes, found 5 silvers a record for me.
Only thing recall had my largest coil on and ground was wet and quite orange with rust.

Been back never been repeated?
March 17, 2017 05:04AM
Reflected light off the moon has a wavelength not much higher than 1.8 microns, which I think is a frequency of 166,551,365,555kHz (166 billion kHz).

Most detectors operate in the vicinity of 7kHz (or a wavelength of about 26.6 miles).

The wavelength of moonlight in miles is about 0.00000035 meters or about 0.000000001118 miles.

That means moonlight has a wavelength that is 23,793,052,222 (23 billion) times shorter than a typical detector.

Which means moonlight has no effect on the receivable frequency of a metal detector.

Sunlight has a broad spectrum, but peaks about 0.5 microns, but extends weakly out to radio wave territory. The atmosphere blocks most incoming radio waves beyond about 15 meter wavelength, which is about 19,986kHz frequency.

Best bet for interference is from man-made sources, evidently not solar or lunar sources.

-Johnnyanglo
March 17, 2017 09:59AM
My first hunts of the year after a hard winter freeze/thaw cycle of the ground seems to unlock a few coins at old sites.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 17, 2017 04:59PM
There are so many variables muddied by subjectivity that make finding the equation far more difficult than solving it. Tom's discipline and the efforts of many like Keith Southern move us forward, but the big jump in tech remains out of reach. Nokta/Marko is so refreshing with their dynamic interaction with the users and willingness to make adjustments has helped move us forward a bit. Imagine if Minelab would refine their great units even half as much! How much improvement is there between a Sword and a Excal II? I've owned both and have 3 blues and I have done most of the mods. There still is no reasonable way to monitor battery level- how basic is that??? OK, I feel better now.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 18, 2017 11:35PM
Silent emo can be an issue.