Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Still undecided on Impact

Posted by deadeye 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Still undecided on Impact
March 22, 2017 12:34PM
I like the delta pitch, and being able to set the tone break where you want it. The thing I don't like is digging bigger pieces of iron reading as a coin, that I have seen on videos. If it had mixed mode like on the DFX where it operates in discriminate and all metal at the same time along with VCO, you will not mistake bigger pieces of iron for a coin. The Racer 2 has the same problem with bigger pieces of iron.
I will have to wait till it is out there in more peoples hands, so I can see more videos of it before I decide.
Re: Still undecided on Impact
March 22, 2017 12:45PM
Some of us like to dig iron relics. You can usually tell it's iron by the size and not dig. I like digging the larger iron targets. Plus you get the bigger pieces iron out of the way. The T2/F75 don't hit so well on iron.

Rick
March 22, 2017 01:01PM
I dig bigger pieces of iron to remove them, but there is no mistaking them for a coin.
March 22, 2017 01:28PM
Us shell hunters Want a detector that will hit deeeep big iron.
March 22, 2017 01:53PM
I'm not on the Impact wagon. I already have a 3 frequency unit that can do most anything I can dream up with an un-paralleled discrimination system and do it quite well. My V3 partnered with my F75LTD is pretty much the pinacle of a land detecting duo and the Impact hasn't replaced either one of these units in my estimation.

HH
Mike
March 22, 2017 02:42PM
Mike, in which situations do you use your V3 vs the F75?

I am planning on adding another land machine this year and the Impact is on my radar. However, I want to see more field reports before making the leap. I picked up a Red Racer last week to hold me over for a bit while the new detectors start hitting the fields and the reports come in.

Thanks
March 22, 2017 03:20PM
deadeye Wrote:
If it had mixed m
> ode like on the DFX where it operates in discrimin
> ate and all metal at the same time along with VCO,
> you will not mistake bigger pieces of iron for a c
> oin. The Racer 2 has the same problem with bigger
> pieces of iron.
> I will have to wait till it is out there in more p
> eoples hands, so I can see more videos of it befor
> e I decide

For mixed mode (dual audio) on a modern machine get the Rutus Alter 71 or AKA Sorex/Signum.
The Rutus is by far the fastest, gives you a choice of 71 frequencies between 4,4 and 18,4 kHz and comes with an 8 inch concentric, next to an 11 inch DD.
March 22, 2017 03:46PM
I think if you like the rigs you have and they are getting the job done why buy another detector? The impact on coins and large iron for me I can hear the difference from the sounds of the tones. But I like to see what the target is and get it out of the ground if I can...If you are a V3 master then no reason to change....the big thing for all of us is masking the machines are getting better at that and that is what we want, the targets that got walked over and left in the ground...hunting in iron small, dust, flakes and so on take a real good hunter to find the relics that are hiding in there. I think the impact and the small coil for iron is deadly and the large standard coil doesn't seem to big for most of my hunts. I'm a Deus, Impact user and have the racer as a backup..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 22, 2017 04:25PM
Hi Matt,
I like the V3 for hunting non-ferrous objects in non-ferrous trash in a turf setting.

Lawrenzo, you must be under the weather grinning smiley HaHa! You are right of course.

As much as I like to buy and try I'm really holding out this year for something different than what I already have.

HH
Mike
March 22, 2017 05:20PM
Someone I know is testing a new machine he won't tell me anything but he was in really bad dirt finding all sorts of civil war relics...he calls it a prototype

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

March 22, 2017 05:32PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone I know is testing a new machine he won't t
> ell me anything but he was in really bad dirt find
> ing all sorts of civil war relics...he calls it a
> prototype

Uh oh, stay tuned everybody!--------He won't even tell you who the manufacture is??
March 22, 2017 07:03PM
Just like when we were testing the Impact we were told not to make videos or release any info on the machine until the testing was done so I'm sure that is how it works for prototypes mums the word..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 23, 2017 12:38AM
The rumored new Garrett maybe? Whites was asking for field testers not too long ago as well.
March 23, 2017 01:38AM
The Impact certainly does sound in theory a very good machine and has some great features,but here in the UK interest in this detector has nearly stalled or infact has stalled,a few main reasons and going back a few weeks they had some special carrot dangler offer packages for pr-orders,this included at the time a free pinpointer probe from Nokta and at the time a fair purchase price.But after a very short time duration maybe 10 days as interest in the Impact was growing they not only upped the price by a fair old margin but also stopped the pinpointer offer at the same time.Just by doing this,interest dropped off almost over night.

Also the 2nd thing that has been mentioned and i cannot confirm or deny for sure is the battery life.

The new Rutus seems to be gathering traction here rather than the new Impact,please note i am not knocking the new Nokta Impact these are observations from UK forums and especially lack of interest after the price increase,but another observation is that as the Deus by far is the most popular machine and most folks use them,the new v4 software is of course free of charge as it always has been and if you wanted additional higher freq's then all one really needs is the additional coil,which is still far cheaper than a new Impact.More frequencies into the bargain,so then one has a machines that in my mind is far more flexible from 4khz upto i think it about 50khz.
March 23, 2017 01:53AM
Hey junk and disorderly, which forums have a lot of Alter 71 chatter? I'd like to check them out. I am really liking my alter 71 so far.
March 23, 2017 02:30AM
I seem to think also that the deus is huge in Europe and others may have a hard time finding a place. You have so much history and your ground is so different. I wanted to read info from testers in Europe but found few if any. They know right away if a machine is going to cut it or not. I would think they would rethink how they sell the impact. I wanted to see what Gary in the UK thought because he seems to be a deus big time user and he gets to try a lot of machines...The Rutus I will have to read more about that machine...not sure if one can get it in the U.S.?

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

Deciding on Impact
March 23, 2017 03:02AM
Liking what I'm reading so far, except for battery consumption. Watching reports as they come in to guesstimate how it would fare in my region. Hopefully, I will be bumping into one of the field testers in the next few weeks and get a closer look and maybe a few minutes of hands on.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Deciding on Impact
March 23, 2017 03:05AM
I can get about 12 hours on my rechargeable AA maybe more if I push it that is not that bad..If it eats power it is working hard at doing what it was meant to do hunt the ground for relics...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 23, 2017 06:05AM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> The Impact certainly does sound in theory a very g
> ood machine and has some great features,but here i
> n the UK interest in this detector has nearly stal
> led or infact has stalled,a few main reasons and g
> oing back a few weeks they had some special carrot
> dangler offer packages for pr-orders,this included
> at the time a free pinpointer probe from Nokta and
> at the time a fair purchase price.But after a very
> short time duration maybe 10 days as interest in t
> he Impact was growing they not only upped the pric
> e by a fair old margin but also stopped the pinpoi
> nter offer at the same time.Just by doing this,int
> erest dropped off almost over night.
>
> Also the 2nd thing that has been mentioned and i c
> annot confirm or deny for sure is the battery life
> .
> Hello. Thank you for your feedbacks but I wanted to chime in here as I do not want any customers to be misled.
Never at any point since the pre-release, we changed pricing or offered a free pointer in any country.
If we did that, we would do it for other dealers in the world, too.
What was going on in the UK was a whole different story and it would be unethical for me to get into details on a public forum as the manufacturer.
However, I would be more than happy to explain it over the phone with any customer who wants to PM me with their phone number.

Regarding battery life- Batteries will last 9-17 hours. Operating frequency wired/wireless headphones, LED, backlight usage are the main factors.
Hope this helps.
March 23, 2017 07:25AM
This was on the MDF forum, it was listed for £699+ free pointer if i remember correctly, it's now £799 and no pointer.

Hello all, I am Pleased to say we now have the standard package and Pro-Package Nokta Impact listings up on our very own MDF Auction for Pre-Order
Both Listings have a Free Pre-Order bonus of a Nokta Pointer when the Full listing price is paid, this bonus offer is not available when the Make an Offer system is used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 07:36AM by ghound.
March 23, 2017 08:05AM
ghound Wrote:
> This was on the MDF forum, it was listed for £699+
> free pointer if i remember correctly, it's now £79
> 9 and no pointer.
>
>
> Hello all, I am Pleased to say we now have the sta
> ndard package and Pro-Package Nokta Impact listing
> s up on our very own MDF Auction for Pre-Order
> Both Listings have a Free Pre-Order bonus of a Nok
> ta Pointer when the Full listing price is paid, th
> is bonus offer is not available when the Make an O
> ffer system is used.

That is 'bang on the nail' as they say,the MDF forum is the largest detecting forum here in the UK,and everything that i quoted was correct,thanks Nokta for the clarification on what was happening or did happen,the comment about 'I do not want any customers to be misled.' nothing that i mentioned was misleading it was as far as i could/can see 'in point of fact' who or why the original offer changed is not really the issue as such,the fact is the offer was changed,so hence i highlighted this.

Regarding my battery comment,that was also from observations and i did add the additional quote 'i cannot confirm or deny for sure is the battery life' so once again i did not intend or actually mislead anyone,just wanted too clarify those few points,what is a good battery life in a detector ?? once again that is not for me to say,but some other brands and also some other models within the Nokta/Makro range have a longer battery life.

I do not have any form of connections with any forums/sellers apart from being a forum member and at the time a potential Nokta customer.
March 23, 2017 08:20AM
> That is 'bang on the nail' as they say,the MDF for
> um is the largest detecting forum here in the UK,a
> nd everything that i quoted was correct,thanks Nok
> ta for the clarification on what was happening or
> did happen,the comment about 'I do not want any cu
> stomers to be misled.' nothing that i mentioned wa
> s misleading it was as far as i could/can see 'in
> point of fact' who or why the original offer chang
> ed is not really the issue as such,the fact is the
> offer was changed,so hence i highlighted this.
>
> Regarding my battery comment,that was also from ob
> servations and i did add the additional quote 'i c
> annot confirm or deny for sure is the battery life
> ' so once again i did not intend or actually misle
> ad anyone,just wanted too clarify those few points
> ,what is a good battery life in a detector ?? once
> again that is not for me to say,but some other bra
> nds and also some other models within the Nokta/Ma
> kro range have a longer battery life.
>
> I do not have any form of connections with any for
> ums/sellers apart from being a forum member and at
> the time a potential Nokta customer.

Hello again. I believe you misunderstood my comment - what I meant is that there has been NO PRICE INCREASE (meaning in terms of the dealer cost or the MSRP) coming from our company since the release. Neither we - as Nokta - offered a free PP with the product to any dealer. That is what I meant. Hope it is clear now and I apologize if I could not express myself clearly.

Yes, battery life on our other models is more but this is expected as this device has 3 frequencies and processors used in Impact are also different.

Thank you!
March 23, 2017 08:42AM
Nokta Detectors Wrote:
> > That is 'bang on the nail' as they say,the MDF f
> or
> > um is the largest detecting forum here in the UK
> ,a
> > nd everything that i quoted was correct,thanks N
> ok
> > ta for the clarification on what was happening o
> r
> > did happen,the comment about 'I do not want any
> cu
> > stomers to be misled.' nothing that i mentioned
> wa
> > s misleading it was as far as i could/can see 'i
> n
> > point of fact' who or why the original offer cha
> ng
> > ed is not really the issue as such,the fact is t
> he
> > offer was changed,so hence i highlighted this.
> >
> > Regarding my battery comment,that was also from
> ob
> > servations and i did add the additional quote 'i
> c
> > annot confirm or deny for sure is the battery li
> fe
> > ' so once again i did not intend or actually mis
> le
> > ad anyone,just wanted too clarify those few poin
> ts
> > ,what is a good battery life in a detector ?? on
> ce
> > again that is not for me to say,but some other b
> ra
> > nds and also some other models within the Nokta/
> Ma
> > kro range have a longer battery life.
> >
> > I do not have any form of connections with any f
> or
> > ums/sellers apart from being a forum member and
> at
> > the time a potential Nokta customer.
>
> Hello again. I believe you misunderstood my commen
> t - what I meant is that there has been NO PRICE
> INCREASE (meaning in terms of the dealer cost or t
> he MSRP) coming from our company since the
> release. Neither we - as Nokta - offered a free PP
> with the product to any dealer. That is what I mea
> nt. Hope it is clear now and I apologize if I coul
> d not express myself clearly.
>
> Yes, battery life on our other models is more but
> this is expected as this device has 3 frequencies
> and processors used in Impact are also different.
>
> Thank you!

The 3 frequencies are not running at the same time, so that should have no effect on the batteries. Other things that it does would have an effect.
March 23, 2017 09:53AM
> The 3 frequencies are not running at the same time
> , so that should have no effect on the batteries.
> Other things that it does would have an effect.

Which frequency you select makes a significant difference in terms of battery life.
5kHz consumes more power compared to higher frequencies.
March 23, 2017 10:03AM
Quote:"The 3 frequencies are not running at the same time, so that [frequency choice] should have no effect on the batteries."
I think you math is a little off.
If you keep the same inductor (transmit coil) for all 3 operating frequencies, and just vary the tuning capacitor (to suit the frequency choice) and the damping resistor (to maintain a constant Q tuning factor), you will find that the power you have to put into the coil will be more at the lowest frequency.
A quick calculation gives coil power = 20 mWatt at 20kHz, and 80 mWatt at 5kHz.
And these would likely equate to 30mW and 120 mW drawn from the battery, allowing for inefficiencies, possibly more.

Having said that, the coil is not the big power-consumer, over 500 mWatt is taken by the electronics - amplifiers, comparators, analogue-to-digital converter, microprocessor, LCD display, voltage regulators, audio amplifier, wireless transmitter, etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 10:09AM by Pimento.
wjs
March 23, 2017 01:08PM

A quick calculation gives coil power = 20 mWatt at 20kHz, and 80 mWatt at 5kHz.
And these would likely equate to 30mW and 120 mW drawn from the battery, allowing for inefficiencies, possibly more.

Yes I was thinking the same thing........confused smiley
March 23, 2017 03:43PM
Picky, hey just try it or move on...the impact is new and only testers have reported what they find with the machines performance and how the menu is laid out. It is up to who ever buys it to see if it feels right and preforms for them.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

March 23, 2017 04:41PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Picky, hey just try it or move on...the impact is
> new and only testers have reported what they find
> with the machines performance and how the menu is
> laid out. It is up to who ever buys it to see if i
> t feels right and preforms for them.

If you were not a tester, would you try it or move on? Money talks!

Tom in SC
March 23, 2017 05:17PM
Here is my take.

It is a three frequency machine.

It's TID works well even at depth it seems.

It has some features that currently aren't on any machine.

THIS IS A TONE BASED MACHINE!

Price point is a little high for the new/casual user. For the more technical/advanced user who delves deep into settings and is more experienced, this machine is a bargain.

To be honest, I can see how a large piece of iron coming up as a coin can dissuade, however, if you are not able to tell large iron from a coin by the characteristics of the item in question, then a Racer may be more to your liking.

Explanation of above:

Although Minelabs VID indicator algorithms are usually(they suffer too) spot on, basically all other machines suffer some MIS-representation more frequent, when it comes to VID. I have run machines at 2.5khz and saw foil read as silver coins. On other machines, I saw bottle caps read like quarters. Beaver tails read like nickels...and so on.

Truthfully, becoming symbiotic with ANY machine you are currently are using is the BIG secret to metal detecting. This cant be stressed enough. I would bet, that, the majority in the hobby only know about 30%-60% of their machine. In fact, I bet most don't even ground balance.

All machines have bad points, its working with and around them that makes YOU great, not the machine.
March 23, 2017 06:34PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Here is my take.
>
> It is a three frequency machine.
>
> It's TID works well even at depth it seems.
>
> It has some features that currently aren't on any
> machine.
>
> THIS IS A TONE BASED MACHINE!
>
> Price point is a little high for the new/casual us
> er. For the more technical/advanced user who delve
> s deep into settings and is more experienced, this
> machine is a bargain.
>
> To be honest, I can see how a large piece of iron
> coming up as a coin can dissuade, however, if you
> are not able to tell large iron from a coin by the
> characteristics of the item in question, then a Ra
> cer may be more to your liking.
>
> Explanation of above:
>
> Although Minelabs VID indicator algorithms are usu
> ally(they suffer too) spot on, basically all other
> machines suffer some MIS-representation more frequ
> ent, when it comes to VID. I have run machines at
> 2.5khz and saw foil read as silver coins. On other
> machines, I saw bottle caps read like quarters. Be
> aver tails read like nickels...and so on.
>
> Truthfully, becoming symbiotic with ANY machine yo
> u are currently are using is the BIG secret to met
> al detecting. This cant be stressed enough. I woul
> d bet, that, the majority in the hobby only know a
> bout 30%-60% of their machine. In fact, I bet most
> don't even ground balance.
>
> All machines have bad points, its working with and
> around them that makes YOU great, not the machine.

As the old saying goes "It's not the gun it's the gunner".