Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Red Racer first run

Posted by Matt in IL 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Red Racer first run
March 24, 2017 02:25PM
I know this machine has been out for years and many of you have been there and done that, but I wanted to share my experience so far.

A couple weeks ago I created a thread asking advice about the T2 Classic and the Makro Racer. I really appreciate the comments I received and ended up pulling the trigger on the Red Racer. I wanted to pickup a mid range machine that does well in Iron and has a fast recovery and I believe the Racer fits the bill. The machine arrived earlier this week and I was able to take it out for a few hours on Wednesday. I took it to an overgrown picnic/swimming area from the 1940's. I consider this location to be my trials ground for any new detector I purchase. It has everything: EMI, iron, aluminum, junk, sand, etc...

When I first opened the box, I looked at the stock coil ears. I have read reports on them cracking, but that was awhile ago. I believe they beefed up the ears to fix this issue. However, when I looked at my ears, they were not beefed up at all. I thought, wonder if this was a new old stock Racer from a few years back. When I looked closer, the coil serial number sticker says "Racer 2". Interesting, I did not know that they were using Racer 2 coils now, makes sense. The coil lug bolt is also the newer style with the lever and came with an extra...Ok, cool!

I assembled the detector, did a couple checks and loaded it up. On my way home from work, I stopped by the trials grounds, changed out of my work clothes carefully scanning the area to not be seen LOL...Once on the site, I was getting a low 50s GB, two pie pieces and was able to get 83 sensitivity without any chatter in 3 tone. All other settings I ran stock. Ergonomics are OK, not great, not terrible. I am 6' 200LBS and had no real issues. Plenty of room for rod adjustments for me.

I started in the back corner where we have pulled a dozen of silvers and probably 40 wheat pennies. For the first hour I was digging everything, just feeling out the machine. I kept having an issue at first that was driving me crazy. I was not able to get a VID reading on a target I would say 75% of the time. I know you are going to say, it must be deep then! Well, that is not the case. From what I can tell, at this particular site, almost everything over 6" would not give a VID. Anything less would give a solid VID from all angles. Switching to 2 tone helped, but it had me puzzled. I am not dependent on a VID, audio guides me, but almost every time I looked at the screen there was nothing there. Pinpoint would show anywhere from 5" to 15"! So, I started to dig these VIDless targets. The majority I discovered were super tiny, like .22 short cases, BB's, piece of aluminum, etc all about 5-6" down. The ones that were close to 15" I gave up on, I was elbow deep and still nothing. I will have to keep an eye on this and I am sure the more I use it, I will figure it out.

The area in the back I was detecting in is a very small strip, about 15'x30'. I can't even tell you all the machines that we have tried there, let's just say a lot. What blew me away was I managed to pull another three wheats from this small area. Two of them had large rusty nails in the hole with them and one of them had some funky looking sand in the hole. I must say, this really impressed me and I can't wait to get out and try it a lot more. I have another good test this weekend at a mid 1800s farm house if the weather holds up.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Matt
Re: Red Racer first run
March 24, 2017 02:59PM
Hi Matt,

I remember your Post. Well done on the purchase.

The Racer is great in the iron. I'm thinking you didn't get TID's on the tiny stuff is because they were so small and a few inches deep to 5" maybe?
Did you get that 'bleep' when you ground balanced?
Anyway, back to the tiny stuff: it's because they were 'too difficult' for the detector to classify? I wouldn't worry about it. But I'd still be inclined to dig them because one of them could be a small good ring on edge???

Good Hunting

Des D

I lived in Chicago in 1983 ( North Hills) but never detected there much ( did Oak St. beach a few times)
March 24, 2017 04:56PM
Matt the Makro/Nokta machines excel at pulling non-ferrous targets out of hunted out sites that other machines have missed.

Very fun detector, very easy to use and it does a great job thumbs down

hh,
Cal
March 24, 2017 10:19PM
Nice choice Matt - you will do well with the Racer - it certainly brings old sites back to life

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 25, 2017 11:57PM
If the shallowest reading you saw was 5, you probably still have the Racer
showing depths in centimeters, not inches. When you reset it to show inches,
the shallowest reading it shows is 2. (2 inches = 5 centimeters.)

So 15 (centimeters) is really 6 inches, if that's what is happening.
March 26, 2017 02:30PM
Thanks guys! Unfortunately the rain has been non stop here since Friday. Looks like I won't be getting out until next weekend....Just in time for ticks!

Des, I am 50 miles West of the City. We used to go hit the parks and do well. Now, I stay away from the city, not worth getting shot for a Mercury Dime smiling smiley

TallTom, I was inches for sure, but I know what you mean.

Thanks,
Matt
March 26, 2017 03:23PM
Try all metal to cross check deep ID. It IDs a lot deeper than disc. At the expense of accuracy of course.
March 27, 2017 12:54AM
The VDI it seems is linked with the gain..In D2 and gain at 96 the tone and VDI there's no distinguishable targets that I can't get a diggable tone without numbers.