Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Difference @ the Silver Sabre II vs the Silver Sabre Umax ?

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Difference @ the Silver Sabre II vs the Silver Sabre Umax ?
March 25, 2017 07:14PM
What was the difference between the Silver Sabre II, and the Silver Sabre Umax ?

thanx !
Re: Difference @ the Silver Sabre II vs the Silver Sabre Umax ?
March 25, 2017 07:46PM
Size of circuit board and control box.
Specs are identical

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 25, 2017 08:15PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Specs are identical

Ahh, so in-so-far as ability to see through a rusty nail, to get a conductive ("averaged-up") beep off a coin under a nail, they would be identical in ability. Eh ? I thought there was some benefit to the earlier generation of sabre. Is there any other generation sabre besides these 2 ?
March 25, 2017 08:27PM
"What a Forum eh? Just ask and you receive! Well done everyone" (thanks Tom)
March 25, 2017 08:33PM
Both of them have factory ground balance pre-set..

...The Silver Sabre ll has a mellower gain than the newer Silver Sabre micro Max or µMax... and a bit heavier with the bigger control housing The Silver Saber ll is also a bit more quiet in dense nail infestation and able to unmask better on account of it's mellower low noise operation.

...The original Bandido or Bandido ll would be a better choice than either Silver Sabre because they have a fine adjustable 10 turn ground Balance control...JMO
March 25, 2017 08:45PM
Hombre Wrote:
> Both of them have factory ground balance pre-set..
>
> ...The Silver Sabre ll has a mellower gain than th
> e newer Silver Sabre micro Max or µMax... and a bi
> t heavier with the bigger control housing The Silv
> er Saber ll is also a bit more quiet in dense nail
> infestation and able to unmask better on account o
> f it's mellower low noise operation.
>
> ...The original Bandido or Bandido ll would be a b
> etter choice than either Silver Sabre because they
> have a fine adjustable 10 turn ground Balance cont
> rol...JMO

Ahh! Now it's coming back to me. These are fine points that I'd read somewhere in the past. And it bears repeating. Thanx Hombre !
March 25, 2017 08:58PM
Sven1
Size of circuit board and control box.
Specs are identical

There are several differences besides the size of the circuit board and control box.
And the specs are not identical.

1) The Silver Sabre II is a "12Khz" machine
The Silver Sabre Umax is a "10Khz" machine.

2) The Silver Sabre Umax has a "Pinpoint" feature.
The Silver Sabre II does not.

3) The Silver Sabre II weighs about "3 lbs".
The Silver Sabre Umax weighs about "2.2 Lbs".

4) The Silver Sabre II uses the older "two" piece pole assembly.
The Silver Sabre Umax came mounted on the newer "three" piece pole assembly.

5) The Silver Sabre II "can be hip or chest mounted".
The Silver Sabre Umax "can not be hip or chest mounted".

6) The Silver Sabre II mounts "below" the pole.
The Silver Sabre Umax mounts "above" the pole.

7) The Silver Sabre II uses "two" 9 v batteries.
The Silver Sabre uses "one" 9 v battery.

8) Battery life for the Silver Sabre II is "15 to 30 hours".
Battery life for the Silver Sabre Umax is "10 to 20 hours".

9) The Silver Sabre II has an Audio Frequency of about "750HZ"
The Silver Sabre Umax has an Audio Frequency of about "630 Hz"

10) The Silver Sabre II has a Threshold adjustment at the rear of the housing.
The Silver Sabre Umax has the Threshold adjustment on the control panel face.
(Edited)

11) The headphone jack on the Silver Sabre II is in the "front face".
The headphone jack on the Silver Sabre Umax in the "back of the housing".

Note: Some early Umax machines "may" have a 1/8" headphone jack.
All the Silver Sabre II machines have a 1/4" headphone jack.

Those are the differences that come to mind, I have owned and searched with both.

Sandman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 10:11PM by SandMan.
March 25, 2017 09:19PM
SandMan wrote..

10) The Silver Sabre II has a "Threshold" adjustment,
The Silver Sabre Umax does not.

I hate to correct you but the Silver Sabre µMax does have a Threshold knob right on the face plate. The big box Silver Saber ll has the threshold knob at the rear of the control box near the battery door & coil connector. The Troy Shadow X2 is a modified Silver Sabre µMax with blacked out color scheme & coin check button, nice detector but it left off the important "Threshold control......
March 25, 2017 10:06PM
Hombre Wrote:
SandMan wrote..

I hate to correct you but the Silver Sabre µMax does have a Threshold knob right on the face plate.
The big box Silver Saber ll has the threshold knob at the rear of the control box near the battery door & coil connector.
The Troy Shadow X2 is a modified Silver Sabre µMax with blacked out color scheme & coin check button, nice detector but it left off the important "Threshold control......

Hombre, you are 100% right.

I don't know what I was thinking.

I have an X2, and you're right, a threshold adjustment would be great.
I have found all kinds of stuff with that machine.
It's a 10Khz machine.
My 12Khz machines find more foil. Which makes sense, they are a bit better at finding jewelry too.
March 25, 2017 11:26PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Sven1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
Specs are identical

Ahh, so in-so-far as ability to see through a rusty nail, to get a conductive ("averaged-up") beep off a coin under a nail, they would be identical inability. Eh ? I thought there was some benefit to the earlier generation of sabre. Is there any other generation sabre besides these 2 ?
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Tom first off they are not identical.
When it comes to "coin under a nail" conditions, the higher frequency, 12Khz vs 10Khz, carries the day.
This exposes it's self in the observation that the upper frequency machines handle iron the best.
Starting at roughly 15Khz, give or take, you start to notice less iron in your pouch.
At the upper end, 50Khz, 78Khz, 84Khz, 100Khz,.... as the frequency gets higher the machine handles iron better.
(above in order: White's / Garrett, Fisher, Wilson, Compass)

There certainly are other Sabres. There is a whole family.

Here is the problem Tom.
I worked very hard and posted a thread covering the entire Sabre family.
Dates of manufacture, features, photographs, links to the user manual......

"All of it was DELETED"
Along with a "Tesoro By The Year" thread.
Every machine, by year, with pictures, and links.....

The Pinpointer thread.
Every pinpointer former and current.....
With pictures, frequencies, the user manual......

In all, over 1400 of my threads and posts were deleted.
And there are dead links all over the internet, like some kind of rash, to those informative posts.

Every thread and post is marked, "Deleted by the author"
There is no way on God's earth that I would delete "countless hours" of hard work covering 5 years!!

It was deleted by a wet behind the ears admin that does not know his elbow from a hot rock.

Now,.... do I take the time to do the entire thing over again from scratch?

Tell you what Tom, you get someone with admin powers to assure me, "in writing", that the thread I post will not be deleted......
And I will do it all over again from scratch.
I'll even build the "Tesoro By The Year" thread, again from scratch.

It takes hours and hours Tom.

As much as I hate to admit it, much of those 1400+ posts and threads were done when I really should have been working.
Yeah, I was playing hooky, posting some great content, at the cost of $75.00 an hour.
5 years of building threads and posting.

And "Poof" it's all gone.

Never in my life have I lost something that I put that much time and effort into, to just have it vanish.
What a disservice to the members of that forum, all the visitors that come by from around the globe,
all the other forum members that used that information, and passed it along by links.

What an enormous waste of time and effort.
March 26, 2017 02:01AM
The SS Umax is sparkier ..it has high gain low noise circuitry so a hot big box silver sable and a hot Umax model ..you should see a little more umph from umax..

The Big Box runs slightly quieter and the Umax runs slightly sparkier..

both use 120 disc..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 26, 2017 02:17AM
I have a sparky Troy Shadow X2 and a 'hot' big box original Bandido ll.

Both are equal in depth but the Bandido does better in the iron nail infested sites I hunt at.
March 26, 2017 03:58AM
SandMan....... I wonder if any forum member 'copied and printed' any (part or all) of your laborious efforts. This is a common thing to do for many forum folks. It certainly would be worthy of you asking. . . . . so as to save you time/efforts/money/life.
March 26, 2017 06:02AM
Sandman------What in the world would be their "reasoning" for deleting such valuable information?
March 26, 2017 06:58AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
SandMan....... I wonder if any forum member 'copied and printed' any (part or all)....................................

Not that I know of Tom.

I have never invested 5 years into anything, and not have a thing to show for it.

I tell you, I will never make an investment of that kind ever again.
March 26, 2017 09:32AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
Sandman------What in the world would be their "reasoning" for deleting such valuable information?

DPOR, If I told you you would start grinding your teeth.

I got the rawest deal in history.

I make this as short as possible, but there is a story.

The following is the absolute truth, "So Help me God"

Someone posted a picture of a coil with the top off. An old school solid coil.
Inside there was a a little tuning thing. A small square with a screw head in the center.
It was broken. Paul (CA) told the guy to just solder a replacement right over the top of the old one.

Looking at that thing I started thinking.....

Back in the day I had a ball with my CB radio.
Oh and yes, I did hop it up,.... LOL

Well, I'm sure a bunch of you guys did too.

So, it goes through my mind about "matching" a coil to a machine.
Then I remember how I had to "match" my antenna to my CB radio using an SWR meter.
Then it goes through my mind, that a metal detector is similar to a CB radio.
Both have a control box with all the circuitry in it, both transmit and receive signal.
Both have a cable coming out the back going to unit that handles the broadcast and receive.
Both have a speaker, both have a headphone jack.
Both can be peaked, tweaked, and modified, to perform beyond factory specs.

It's the tuning, the matching thing,.... getting a harmony between the unit and the antenna.
Yes I said antenna.
I have talked to Troy Galloway a number of times, very likely everyone here knows who he is.
His back ground from back in the day, "communications".

I'm talking to him and he is laughing about a hot machine that he can barely turn on in the house, too much EMI.
So I am laughing because I sitting in a machine shop surrounded by machinery, I have to go outside to do anything.
Then Troy says, " I will put on a smaller coil", "the interference will be less", "all a coil is, more or less, is an antenna"
"When you are dealing with interference a smaller coil is less affected"

Then I remembered reading a book written by Charles Garrett.
In that book he refers to the coil / search disk, as an antenna.

Then I remembered hearing about a guy. I think he worked at a plant making transformers.
Smart guy, likes to treasure hunt......
Makes his own coils.

NASA Tom will love this.....

He hooks up the coil to a spinning jig, he turns on the machine, and he keeps winding and winding until the coil works right.
LOL

So he probably goes a bit past, nips off the wire, and trims it back to where the sweet spot is, and glues everything shut.

"Trims",.. I swear back when CB radios were everywhere the term "trimming in an antenna" was common speak.

These were the days of the "Firestik" and "Moonraker" antennas.
Fiberglass rod, maybe 9/16" dia., maybe 36" long.
Metal hex with a male thread to mount it up on the base end.
The factory winds wire round and round the fiberglass rod, closer to the top the wind is more of a spiral.
Then they put heavy duty shrink tube over the wound rod.
It's capped off with one of those vinyl end caps. Under the cap you got the end of the wire.
Using that SWR meter with a patch cable, you key up the mic and watch the meter for readings.
You carefully "trim" the wire and check the meter, trim a little more, check the meter.
You're looking for a 1 to 1 match.
Then the unit and the antenna are matched.

---

You know, this is Tom_in_CA's thread and its sliding off track.

Tom if you want me to finish this story I will.

Either way I'll build up a really nice thread for you on the Silver Sabre.

How does this look?

The Silver Sabre Family

Original To Umax

Very seldom has a design so impacted an entire industry as has the Tesoro Silver Sabre.
It's been said, time and time again, by those in the know, that the Silver Sabre circuitry is the basis of many a metal detector.

Then history, photos, reviews, the user manuals in pdf, etc.
March 26, 2017 01:55PM
I just want you to be able to recover your laborious 'blood-labor'...... so it does not go down in vain.
Someone HAD to have copied and/or printed your data. And...... it's in cyber-space somewhere.
MAM
March 26, 2017 02:57PM
Sandman, Sorry for your loss. Also sorry I never saw the lost threads. They sound interesting . Don't mean to ask a stupid question, but were the lost threads the ONLY copy of all your data, or is the work of re posting the problem?
March 26, 2017 05:56PM
I Thought the pantera and then original bandido big box was the bets thing going in unmasking in iron till I got the bandido 2 umax ....it reopened the nail beds with Spark...

took a tuned ear but that little extra hyper gain pulled stuff again ...even in side by side testing for about 6 months in the mid 90's...the hyper hain has its place..it saturates the signal somewhat but it also can lead to better unmasking.g

no tesoro is bad in iron

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 26, 2017 07:24PM
SandMan Wrote:

> You know, this is Tom_in_CA's thread and its slidi
> ng off track.
>
> Tom if you want me to finish this story I will.
>

Sandman, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I read in awe what you wrote about your prior contributions to another forum on this valuable topic. And I know that Monte has also written much on the topic that is floating out there on the net. And is worth it's weight in gold also. I absolutely have no knowledge of why something like that would be deleted. It's strictly technical. So it doesn't seem to be divisive in nature (ie.: detecting cemetaries, politics, dowsing, etc....). So I have no idea why it would get deleted or lost like that. And I agree with the others: That maybe it's still out there somewhere ?

As for "trying again": I know it's easy to get frustrated and say "never again". But trust me: Your on-line contributions are much respected. Here and elsewhere! And the converse of being a "lone ranger" and having no friends, is also not a good spot to be in. So I would not be averse to penning it again some-day. And, of course, this time keep a copy on your own channel somewhere. I can't imagine what went wrong before.

In the meantime: Question for you and Keith: If depth is not an issue, and I'm ONLY angling to un-mask from iron: Then is it safe to say the original bandido will have better separation/averaging power over the Bandido Umax. Right ? Because if the Umax generation added more depth, then logically speaking, that usually comes at a price of less un-making/averaging ability. Right ? Because logically, the more ground the detector "sees", the more it has to deal with "seeing through and around", eh ?

Also, how about the difference between the Bandido I and the Bandido II (leaving "umax" out of the question) ? In-so-far as ghost-townsy nail conditions.

thanx !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 07:26PM by Tom_in_CA.
March 27, 2017 10:52AM
NASA Tom
I just want you to be able to recover your laborious 'blood-labor'...... so it does not go down in vain.
Someone HAD to have copied and/or printed your data. And...... it's in cyber-space somewhere.

I know you're not making fun of me Tom.
But as usual, I got carried away. I wanted to post some great content for the members and all the guest that stopped in.
I tell you people stopped in from all over the world. And always searching for information.

That laborious 'blood-labor' part,... hell.
Countless times I'd look up and it's way past midnight.
"My neck Tom". For the last year or so my neck is really bothering me.
From the time I get up, to the time I go to sleep, I am miserable.

It's all these years of doing close work, plus some real damage I did to my self in my thrill seeking years.

I wonder about you Tom.
You, me, an engraver, a watch maker,.......
Look what happened to Keith Wills.
He had to have neck surgery because his hands went numb then stopped working.

I need to do my best to retrain myself.
Instead of standing over a desk and looking down at a blueprint, sit down and hold it up like reading a newspaper.
Instead of looking down reading a book at my desk, sit in a recliner or lay down so I'm looking up at the book.
Stuff like that.
Brother, I am miserable.

"I'll tell you another thing",....... these kids, and,.... well, a whole lot of people.......
I see it every day. People standing, walking, sitting, and yes even driving,..........
Looking down at their smart phone.
How much of each day are they looking down at their phone?

You know it and I know it.
Nothing good will come from this.

And the angle, steep, not like holding up a menu at a restaurant.

The monitor on my desk is sitting on a stack of four of those stepping stones like they have at the nursery.
1 1/2" each, 6" total. It helps because I look almost straight across at it instead of looking down at it.
I starting doing that about 6 years ago because my neck was giving me problems.

Not a bad idea for anyone who wants to give their neck a break.
(somehow that didn't sound quite right,....LOL)

Hey Tom!

I just remembered!
I have some, a few,....... I started a small forum of my own about 3 years ago.
No members, I was setting it up as a reference site.
Just information.
In the midst of moving the electricity was shut off and back on again.
My computer didn't like that. It crashed and wouldn't complete booting up.
The provider of that forum had a rule, there has to be activity, 2/3 weeks without activity.......
They shut down your forum and send you the files!

I know I had a real nice Pinpointer info page. I'll have to update that information.
It was current up to the Minelab pinpointer if memory serves.
I made a big Fisher section, pictures, manuals.
I Built a big White's section, brother do they have a ton of manuals.

That is all I can remember.
Who is the computer guy here?

I wonder if it's all there in those files.
The pictures, the pdf manuals?

Or only the text?

I got excited for nothing. I just opened the zip file.
Of all that information, all they sent was a single text document, all that they sent is this....

<b>5900/DI Pro SL</b>
<nabble_a href="5900_Di_Pro.pdf">5900_Di_Pro.pdf</nabble_a>

Just a tiny piece from one section.

I will have to rebuild everything from scratch.

Tom, can you generate "sub forums" or sections in this forum software you're using?
March 27, 2017 01:04PM
The only close version of sub-forum is..... simply starting a thread on the forum.

Yes..... I do wonder about the new generation of folks..... a lot less hard work.....and a lot more electronic gadgets. Good for the brain...... but not for the body.
March 28, 2017 02:23AM
Tom in CA,

BOTH of the Silver Sabre models you asked about are very reliable and useful performers, but as others who use them have mentioned, there are some differences. Keep in mind that the primary things they have in common are:

1.. They are 'turn-on-and-go' models meaning they rely on an internally preset Ground Balance.

2.. They feature Tesoro's ED-120 Discriminate range circuitry.

3.. They share the same Tesoro quick-response/fast-recovery performance that has made Tesoro recognized in the industry since the Inca's release in '83.

4.. They operate in the 10 kHz to 12 kHz frequency range that fits with the optimum or ideal general purpose frequency determined by George Payne. (He stated a 12.5 kHz frequency to be about ideal and used that frequency when he designed the Discovery Treasure Baron line.. From using a wide-range of detectors from different manufacturers, I have settled on a versatile or optimal 'general purpose' frequency being ±2½ kHz of that. Thus, a well designed detector operating in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range.)

5.. They share all of the same series of Tesoro search coils, both Concentric (my favorites) and Double-D types.

These two Silver Sabre models do have some design differences, however, such as:

The Silver Sabre II has a Threshold-based All Metal search mode with a slow auto-tune and a toggle-select manual retune. This provides users the ability to search in a silent-search, motion-based Discriminate mode OR a Threshold-based All Metal mode. The All Metal mode can also be used to isolate or pinpoint a target.

The Silver Sabre µMAX, not a 'u' the µ symbol stands for 'micro' so µMAX is pronounced microMAX. This model is a silent-search, motion Based Discriminator and does NOT have a selectable All Metal mode. It does have a Pinpoint function which is a momentary Threshold-based All Metal Pinpoint feature to help size-and-shape as well as pinpoint a target.

General History (but not as complete as what Sandman once offered and no, I never copied it sad smiley) leading to these two models and what I consider to be some of my all-time favorite Tesoro models. As some have mentioned, while they are so very similar in many ways, they both have their different strengths. They are very good detectors for many 'average' Hobbyists for many types of hunting, but more Avid Detectorists might take advantages of their more controllable (manual GB'ed) Bandido counter-parts.

The ED-120 Discrimination circuitry was something Tesoro brought out in March of 1990 when they introduced the original Bandido. This model features a Threshold-Based All Metal mode with an external, 10-turn Ground Balance control. It became very popular and also became my most used detector model for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, but especially for Relic Hunting all the old iron-infested sites I enjoy. I preferred the smaller-size 7" Concentric coil back then to the standard white-colored 8" Concentric 'donut' coil, and the combination of the excellent circuitry and 7" coil rewarded me well at many homesteads, ghost towns, stage stops and railroad depot and siding sites, and 1800's era encampments in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and a few other places.

The Bandido was very popular, and in September of '91 Tesoro used the same under-slung control housing and essentially the same circuitry when they introduced the 'turn-on-and-go' Silver Sabre II with the preset GB. Same basic performance as the original Bandido, just 'simplified' w/o the manual GB option. Back then I kept one of each of these models, the Bandido & Silver Sabre II, in my detector travel arsenal and used them both with great success.

The 'original' Bandido continued in production until 6/'96, but in 1/'96 Tesoro offered a new 'upgrade' of that original in the Bandido II, and that model continued in production to 9/'97. Both in the same housing and same controls and virtually identical in-the-field performance with one exception. The 'original' Bandido has a slow auto-tune speed in the All Metal mode. I found it, and still do, very functional for most urban Coin Hunting as well as remote-site Relic Hunting needs.

The Bandito II has one added toggle switch on the control panel for Normal/Manual Retune or Auto which is a very fast Auto-Tune. Jack Gifford told me that the main purpose for that addition to make the Bandido II was to appeal to Gold Nugget Hunters who wanted to hunt in All Metal, but in uneven or changing grounds the faster Auto-tune speed was preferred to the slower auto-tune circuitry of the original Bandido. Personally, I liked both the Bandido & Bandido II back then, and still admire what they offer today. (Note, below, that I do have an 'original' Bandido in my Regular-Use Detector Team that I keep a thin-profile 6" Concentric coil mounted to.)

In October of 1997 we saw a pronounced change in BOTH the Bandido series and Silver Sabre series with the introduction of two new models, the Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX. Both were in the smaller control housing, used the ED-120 acceptance range Disc. circuitry, used the same coils as the former models and provided very similar performance. The differences between them was that while they both had a variable Threshold control on the front panel, the Bandido II microMAX also had a 3¾-turn manual GB and the Silver Sabre microMAX is the internally preset GB design.

The Bandido II µMAX, the last of the four model Bandido series, has the two toggles like the former Bandido II to select the All Metal or Discriminate mode, and to also select Normal/Manual retune or Auto-tune. The Silver Sabre µMAX, the last of the four Silver Sabre series, lacks an All Metal search mode but has the momentary All Metal Pinpoint button.

Both of those new microMAX models featured the new or improved Low-Noise/High-Gain circuitry. The purpose or benefit of that was to reduce or filter some of the noisy operation while boosting the gain and provide a little more saturated audio and louder response from mid-depth and slightly deeper targets than the former models, the Bandido, Bandido II and Silver Sabre II they replaced in the product line.

They still work very well in all types of Coin Hunting, Jewelry Hunting and Relic Hunting >>>> HOWEVER <<<< from the October day in '97 right up to this past few days of checking out some search coils I have, I STILL GIVE A SLIGHT EDGE to my 'original' Bandido over my Bandido II µMAX in a couple of really tough side-by-side target masking tests.

The same very slight edge goes to the earlier Silver Sabre II over the newer and hotter or 'sparkier' Silver Sabre µMAX. But that 'edge' is when we are talking a really tough masking test when the problem masking trash is a ferrous based piece of junk. Not always easily observed, but from the day a friend and fellow Tesoro Dealer & I got the Bandido II µMAX and did a quick test with a US 5¢ nickel coin compared with his original Bandido and Golden Sabre II (a turn-on-and-go of the Pantera circuitry) and my Bandido II and Pantera, all using a Tesoro 8" Concentric coil, we could see the strengths of the new Bandido II µMAX as well as a weakness in that particular iron nails & nickel test.

Tom in CA
Ahh, so in-so-far as ability to see through a rusty nail, to get a conductive ("averaged-up") beep off a coin under a nail, they would be identical in ability. Eh ? I thought there was some benefit to the earlier generation of sabre. Is there any other generation sabre besides these 2 ?
The term "see through" is really a misstatement because it is partly a matter of 'averaging' signals, but also how the EMF is shaped and the ability of the field to see multiple targets 'with' each other and not necessarily 'through.'

Anyway, YES, I feel the earlier versions had just a bit of an edge in unmasking desirable targets in a rusty iron nail mix, and maybe deal with a few other ferrous littered sites just a little bit better. That said, if the trash level is low-to-moderate, the more favorable performing µMAX versions might be able to provide a little louder audio response on the mid-depth and deeper targets compared with the earlier Bandido II and Silver Sabre II, or be a little deeper-seeking than the earlier versions.

For Relic Hunting, which I am guessing you might want to use them for, and just a general use/have handy detector model, the only models in the Silver Sabre series I would recommend are the Silver Sabre II and Silver Sabre µMAX.

For more versatility by having an external manual GB controls, I would recommend the original Bandido, the Bandido II and the Bandido II µMAX. One benefit they have is you are able to 'calibrate' (meaning adjust for a proper and functional GB setting) with different search coils. This can result in adjusting for any ground mineral environment, especially enhancing the Discriminate mode for peak performance.

In the original frequency group of models that all share the same search coils, other than the Silver Sabre and Bandido series models I refer to in this thread, the only other coil-sharing models I would consider would be the 2-Tone Golden Sabre II (turn-on-and-go) or originator of that circuitry, the Pantera (manual GB ) which have almost the same ED-120 Disc range, but use the larger-size housing (like the current Lobo SuperTRAQ) and 8-AA alkaline batteries instead of the 1 or 2 9-V batteries of the Silver Sabre and Bandido series models.

Questions, if I have confused you or maybe left something out, just drop me an e-mail.

Hey, if you can make it to our 5th Welcome-to-Hunt Outing based out of Wells, Nevada this coming May, Thursday the 18th thru Sunday May 21st, I might still have an extra Tesoro on-hand as a loaner for you to check out. I have a very nice, and 'hot' original Bandido and also a 'hot' Bandido II µMAX I'm going to sell. If I haven't, I'll bring them along for folks to try, and on the last 3 WTHO's I have ended up selling ALL of the extra Silver Sabre II, Bandido, Bandido II and Bandido II µMAX models I can get on-hand for the outings. These are 'extra' models as my personal inventory is Not For sale.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
March 28, 2017 05:28AM
Sandman, I admire your doggedness. Hopefully, Tom will be proven right and all your hard work is not lost forever.
March 28, 2017 10:04AM
marcomo
Sandman, I admire your doggedness. Hopefully, Tom will be proven right and all your hard work is not lost forever.

Hey marcomo!
Great to see you.
I love the Rat Phones you sold me at a good price.
I count those headphones among my prized possessions.

Too nice to take out in the field, I just wear them around the house.

LOL!

marcomo
Hopefully, Tom will be proven right and all your hard work is not lost forever

This is what I saw once...................

I saw "archives" of long past posts, posts from that very same forum, reposted, and they appeared the same as the original.
Can't say for certain if there are outfits that "Data Mine", professional diggers that get paid a fee to dig.
But I saw it. Posts that were no longer available, brought back from the past and reposted.

Here it is in a walnut...........

Three/ four years ago I got piled on by three,.... how do I say it, their not here to speak up for themselves.
Let's just say unfriendly guys. I held my temper, stayed in line with forum rules, but got cussed at and called a lot of names.

I bowed out. I posted that I would only come around once a year, to wish everyone a happy new year when the 1st rolled around.
That was about three/ four years ago.
Late last year I got notice by email, from the provider of that forum, that out of the clear blue sky,... my posts were being deleted.

I emailed the new admin, and in a nice / fair way, asked what on earth was going on over there.
The email I sent, I can post it here. I was cool, I wasn't a jerk.
I had already figured out what was going on,.... because I read the deleted posts, two of them, in text format.

You see,.... follow me here.....

The guys that piled on me went back and deleted all those posts, their posts.......
But I predicted that while they were piling on me.
So I "Quoted" their posts in my replies.
That locked the content.........
Because that forum didn't have an admin, it was on auto pilot.

About middle of last year a new member started being abusive.
Bad language, posting in bad taste, etc.
That combined with an ever increasing amount of spam advertising prompted one of the members to contact the forum provider.
He explained the problem and they gave him the admin privileges..
The problem arises in the fact that this member didn't have any experience at being an admin.

I honestly think the best way to go once he had "the key to the castle", was to hold a member vote, or who ever has the time, and experience.....
There are smart people there, one guy is extra smart, plus he has had his own forum, and built a beautiful website.
That's the guy who is co-admin there now, nice and peaceful over there now, and no more spam.

So, you guys already see where this went.

The guy that cussed me out, called me a bunch of names, a full page of insults, broke forum rules.......
He saw, at last, an opportunity to delete the last of the evidence of when I got thrashed in front of the whole world.
He contacts the new admin and says something like,.... "that was a long time ago", "what's the value of it?, "it's not about metal detecting".
Or how ever he sliced the baloney,..... LOL
Maybe he should open a delicatessen and sell sandwiches,.... LOL

Well, the new admin had no idea of his responsibilities as an admin.

I think I can speak for anyone reading this.
An admin would never go behind the scenes and delete one members posts at the request of another member.

The reply to a request like that would be......

"Sorry", there is no way I am going to delete any of SandMan's posts.
You and a couple of other guys thrashed him, he took the fade and hasn't done any posting here in three years!
He was the forum's most prolific poster. So thanks for that.
And now you want me to delete some of his posts?
No way.
"Why don't you email him, tell him you feel bad, tell him you were drunk, ask him, maybe he'll delete it himself".

But no, he broke the trust between forum admin and it's members.

I sent a couple of more emails to that admin.
I pointed out what he did was unthinkable.
I remained cool, I conducted myself same as if I was posting on a public forum.

Oh, every email I sent,.... I addressed BCC to a half a dozen trusted members.
Just to keep things on the square.

I said like this........

"What you did wasn't right, think of it as evidence.
If you destroy evidence in a trial it's is a criminal act.
It's unethical.
People that do that wind up in prison."

He quote's on the forum...........

"SandMan emailed me and said I was unethical, that I'm a criminal and should be sent to prison!"

It was hilarious!
Keep in mind a half a dozen other members got the same email,... LOL

Well, it was hilarious for about one minute.................

He "BANNED" me and deleted all my posts.

Wasn't so funny after that.

One person spoke up for me.
A veteran member with a lot of power on that forum posted.....
"Un-ban SandMan, leave the door open in case he ever want's to come back".
And so it was done.

I am un-banned, but all my posts remain deleted.

Have to be honest here.
There is a rumor that if I log in over there, all my posts will magically reappear.

But I do know one thing. If that is actually possible, that means that an to email the forum provider and they could restore those posts.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I took this stance...

If my mom said it once, she said it a thousand times.
"If you make a mess, clean it up"

I wasn't responsible for any that madness over there.
Just the opposite, I posted "a lot" of good content, and I was always cracking jokes.

I don't get how I got hammered so bad, I was a member in good standing.

Now all this talk about the greater good, from my own mouth no less.
Someone here is bound to think, "if there is a chance it will work go over there and try logging in".

Then I think to myself, "if they felt the content was of any value why haven't they lifted a finger to restore those posts?"
Maybe they have tried, and they are gone with the wind.

Greater good trumps a grudge.

I am going over there and try logging in.

If it works, I'll be back with links.
If it doesn't I'll be back with dismal news.

Here goes, cross your fingers.

I'm sorry guys, their truly gone, all of them.... gone.

That little green dot in the corner of my avatar shows that I was logged in when I took that screenshot.

Well, this brings up something.
When those first two post were deleted, I received the back up copies.
When the 1400+ posts were deleted, I didn't receive anything, not a thing.
I kinda thought it was just too big to put in a zip file.
Those first two came a zip files.

I have the very creepy feeling that they are gone for good.

I liked it better when I had a little hope.

I'm going to do some cussing now.

Well marcomo, I said I would give it to you in a walnut............

That is the biggest damned walnut I have ever seen!

LOL!

SandMan

PS: I'm sure some of you guys are saying.....

"This guy posts a lot, but it's a lot of forum drama and nonsense".

Not really, it was a long winded story with a very important lesson learned.

"If you have put a lot of time and hard work into some content, save a back up copy."

"Never" leave valuable content solely in the hands of others.

Because if you do, you risk someone doing something irresponsible, and it's gone, without any hope of recovery.

SM

What a mess
March 28, 2017 10:08AM
Tom in CA
Sandman, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I read in awe what you wrote about your prior contributions to another forum on this valuable topic. And I know that Monte has also written much on the topic that is floating out there on the net. And is worth it's weight in gold also.

Tom in CA
In the meantime: Question for you and Keith: If depth is not an issue, and I'm ONLY angling to un-mask from iron: Then is it safe to say the original bandido will have better separation/averaging power over the Bandido Umax. Right ? Because if the Umax generation added more depth, then logically speaking, that usually comes at a price of less un-making/averaging ability. Right ? Because logically, the more ground the detector "sees", the more it has to deal with "seeing through and around", eh ?

Also, how about the difference between the Bandido I and the Bandido II (leaving "umax" out of the question) ? In-so-far as ghost-townsy nail conditions.

thanx !

Tom, back at you, sorry for the delay
A friend called on Sunday morning, he spotted a Toyota 4Runner 4X4 in nice shape at a wrecking yard.
I made the trip, (1/2 a tank of gas there & back), and took off all I could.
Went back today and did the same.
I'm sore, but I got a ton of parts.

I see Monte jumped in. He is like a walking encyclopedia on the subject of metal detecting.
Few, if any, have contributed as much as he has. And he is generous with the volumes of information he has to offer.

From Everyone Everywhere Monte..... "Thank You!"

Ok, hell..... Monte covered a lot.... LOL

Let me see if I can jump back in without stepping on my tail.

The rule of thumb when it comes to the Bandido family, in general desirability / performance, is the following......
( 1 being the most desirable )

1) Bandido II uMax
2) Bandido II (original)
3) Bandido (original)
4) Bandido uMax

*Note:
Always pay attention when word of a Bandido II uMax that is available at a bargain price.
There is always the chance that the seller is actually selling a "Bandido uMax"
Difference being they are opposite ends of the scale in the way of desirability.

Hey Tom......

I was doing two posts at once.

Maybe you should read the reply I posted to marcomo.

I'm going to sit back and let this sink in.

What a mess
March 28, 2017 10:09AM
Have this in my files

Tesoro Metal Detector Chronology

Finding the right new or used Tesoro metal detector can be quite confusing since they have
made so many models over the years and many have similar names.
The same Tesoro metal detector model names were used repeatedly when features were
added to existing detectors. Things really got confusing in 1996 with the release of the
uMax (micro Max) series.

From their beginning in May of 1980, the Tesoro metal detector company, Tesoro Electronics
Inc., has persistently produced metal detectors of high quality and popularity. Many of their
older models are still sought after by loyal users. Though it appears their new model
production has slowed over the past number of years, the machines presently offered by
them rate alongside the other major brands.

The Tesoro metal detector chronology is:
1980: Deep Search VI, Deep Search IV, Deep Search VII
1981: Aztec, Cortes, Amigo
1982: Scout, Mayan
1983: Inca, Silver Sabre
1984: Sabre II, Sabre Supreme, Silver Turtle
1985: Golden Sabre, Cutlass
1986: Silver Sabre Plus, Eldorado, Royal Sabre
1987: Toltec 100
1988: Toltec 80, Diablo, 4 Reale, 8 Reale
1989: Golden Sabre Plus, Lobo
1990: Bandido, Pantera
1991: Diablo II, Silver Sabre II, Stingray, Laser B1
1992: Cutlass II, Golden Sabre II, Laser B2
1993: Bandido II
1994: Toltec II, Sidewinder
1995: Piranha, Stingray II, Laser B3
1996: uMax Bandido, uMax Cutlass, uMax Diablo, uMax Sidewinder, Amigo II
1997: Shadow X2, Lobo SuperTRAQ, Laser PowerMax, Bandido II uMax, Silver Sabre uMax
1998: Cutlass II uMax
1999: Sand Shark, Laser Rapier
2000: Conquistador, Compadre, Golden uMax, Tiger Shark
2001: Cortes, Conquistador uMax, Eldorado, Euro Sabre, Silver uMax
2003: DeLeon, Tejon
2004: Cibola, Vaquero

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
March 28, 2017 10:23AM
Sven1
Have this in my files

So do I.

Fess up Sven.
You are the co-admin over there.
The brain behind the curtain.
Are all my posts gone and unrecoverable?

Inquiring minds want to know.
March 28, 2017 02:31PM
Glad you are enjoying the rats! They were in great shape. The only reason I sold them is because of fit, I prefer the classic style over the MSAs. I've got 4 pairs now in various condition, but all working thanks to Steve AKA SkiWhiz. Highly recommend him for anyone who needs headphone repair. He does excellent work for a reasonable price.

A cautionary tale about backing up for sure...sounds like that forum has way to many folks worried about b.s. as opposed to detecting knowledge.

Sounds like all your hard work may be lost, but not too lose all hope. I think about movies/shows that turn up when they are thought gone forever but then because some person had film squirreled away they turn up. How cool would it be to see those pre-LA Tonight Show episodes dating back to the 1950's that are almost all considered to be gone forever.
March 28, 2017 03:37PM
Monte, Sven, and Sandman, thankyou for everyone taking a stab at my question. Especially Monte, for his excellent write-up abilities and excellent recall of evolutions etc.... I'm at sitting down to print out and digest this now. Will print it out and study it all.

My Silver Sabre II was stolen out of my truck about a year ago. And so I have relied on my regular Exp. II for even when going into old-town urban demolition type hunts. But a building teardown (for a burned down historic-district) building is slated to occur here. So .... I wanted to finally replace the Sabre II now. In case I get into ghost-townsy nail-thick conditions.

And I recalled from some Monte posts years ago, that there were some nuances between the various incarnations.

Some day, 1000 yrs. from now, someone will find the writings of you three.. And it will be the Rosetta stone of late 1900s/early 2000s md'ing. Either that, or someone can hurry up and put it into book form now, and make a million $ on putting it into print.

thanx guys !!