Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nel Snake (6.5x3.5 DD) Vs 5 inch DD FTP coil on T-2C.

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nel Snake (6.5x3.5 DD) Vs 5 inch DD FTP coil on T-2C.
March 26, 2017 03:15AM
Been testing Snake coil on the T2-C.and been impressed with it on the bench...Today moved into the field and purposely went to a trash hole of a site...1890-1950 site...so alumimum and iron in more abundance than I've ever seen..

concentrated on a small 20x20 area in front of chimney where house once stood...

I only use high disc (77) on this site with small FTP 5DD coil..and the last couple of times on this site i made only one above 77 find,, and it was actually a 77 ...

Today went back over same ground and to my amazement and also quite eerily pulled a few keepers and a good bit of trash above 80 like aluminum and cut brass..

I like to use the high disc also as a referencing tool to see how a coil compares in terms of target lock and accuracy..

and another thing these were all full 360 rotation reports..not a certain angle...

the Snake is razor sharp and very accurate it so seems...I did notice its a little more susceptible to falsing deeper iron then the 5 but I believe it because its a hotter coil....I dialed sens back some and it stopped..

its hot like a big coil but tighter than a small coil..

First locked target was a 42 merc.

till today I've only found one wheat in this area..The rest high numbers has been doo-dads keepers wise...brass buckle and lead and keys and such

Today I got two wheats and a merc...and a silver plated brooch...part of a parasol and a hinged small case...all easy targets dime was the deepest at about 6 inches the rest were about two or three inches.

this coil is made to pick in the worst trash possible I can see that..when using high disc and comparing it against a 5 round I'm sure the 5 round was hitting this stuff too but wasn't telling me enough report to dig it...this ain't a site to spend time chasing halfway targets,,so it's a good test site to get what you can get with minimal digging ..

this coil locks up and says round...and as you can see all these targets are round and about coin sizes..

this coil is tuned for ROUND..It talks to you very well...

Im impressed so far..

tomorrow more field time with it in another trashy spot...

Heres a test video of the snake [www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 03:41AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Nel Snake (6.5x3.5 DD) Vs 5 inch DD FTP coil on T-2C.
March 26, 2017 04:04AM
Nice finds Keith, u know u didn't miss that many good targets. Nel coils are beasts in the iron. So Monte and OregonGregg have been doing the nailboard test using a half dime and test a ton of machines for fun. Anyways thought u maybe want to give it a go. Here's the machines that they had that passed. The R2 wouldn't pass with regular oor coil but does with snake. Here's machines that passed.

8-out-of-8:
** Tesoro 'original' Silver Sabre w/6" Concentric coil
** Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/new Precision 7" Concentric coil
Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil (measures 4.7X5.2)
Makro Racer 2 w/NEL Snake DD coil (we measured it at about 3¾X6¾)
** Tesoro Mojave w/6" concentric coil

Here's a link to the thread for more detailed info
[www.ahrps.org]
March 26, 2017 12:47PM
Keith------How did the Snake on the T2 do/act on your deck with the nickel & dime on edge?---------Del
March 26, 2017 03:33PM
I use the Nel Snake coil on 2 of my detectors,the original green T2 non classic version and also the UK version of the Vaquero called the Laser Trident 11 Extreme its basically a Vaquero but on steroids,both these machines excel on roman/saxon trashy sites,i still do use the 5'' coil on the T2 and it does work exceptionally well but does lack the ground coverage that the Snake coils give me.

Must admit the NEL/Cores range of coils are my favourite aftermarket one,build quality is to notch,currently use the Snake,Sharpshooter,Storm and Big Nel on the T2,the latter gets very little use because of the weight but dos come out too play on deep pasture sites but even then my preferred pasture machines are both the Nexus SE and MP.

The Snake coil as mentioned before the build quality is superb but for its size its a little heavier than i initially thought it would be,this is almost certainly because they are 'resin' filled rather than say foam filled,its not a issue and of course it does have advantages as NEL suggest that you can even use the coil without a coil cover,this i do as it does reduce the weight by a small amount.

But the 3 main coils that i have used on the T2 for the last few years have been the Sharpshooter instead of the stock 11'' coil,Storm coil for deeper work and the Snake for trashy sites.
March 26, 2017 05:39PM
High disc hunting is alot more tricky than one imagines...

the reason being the signal has to be exceptionally well seen to register an above disc reading..

but how many times in the real world does that happen??

So have purposely been going over this same exact small area for the last month using different machines and coils..its graded off and left alone..

I have purposely used high disc since the site is a non stop beep more or less..

I just want to see which unit can cope with cherry picking...

the T2-C. is a great choice and this little snake seems to adhere to better and tighter and more assuring I.D.'s that cherry picking require...

If i hunted this site with nail reject and tone only no screen peeking I wouldn't move a foot a day LOL...

Its just a new experiment I'm working on ...getting what I can get without digging trash in shortest amount of time and doing it in any site thrown at me type scenario..I trying to give a couple hunts a week to this type thought process..Hard though I want to drop the disc..

DEl...

I have a video in this post of the nail board test...Ill add nail deck test if you like..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 26, 2017 06:49PM
Congrats on the digs, always fun to bring a site back to life smileys with beer

Been using this on my Racer2 and it's a great coil. Pretty much just using the NEL Snake (CORS Shrew actually, same coil), and the factory 5x10", pretty much all you need to work in the iron and trash.

hh,
Cal
March 26, 2017 08:17PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> High disc hunting is alot more tricky than one ima
> gines...
>
> the reason being the signal has to be exceptionall
> y well seen to register an above disc reading..
>
> but how many times in the real world does that hap
> pen??
>
> So have purposely been going over this same exact
> small area for the last month using different mach
> ines and coils..its graded off and left alone..
>
> I have purposely used high disc since the site is
> a non stop beep more or less..
>
> I just want to see which unit can cope with cherry
> picking...
>
> the T2-C. is a great choice and this little snake
> seems to adhere to better and tighter and more ass
> uring I.D.'s that cherry picking require...
>
> If i hunted this site with nail reject and tone on
> ly no screen peeking I wouldn't move a foot a day
> LOL...
>
>
> Its just a new experiment I'm working on ...gettin
> g what I can get without digging trash in shortest
> amount of time and doing it in any site thrown at
> me type scenario..I trying to give a couple hunts
> a week to this type thought process..Hard though I
> want to drop the disc..
>
> DEl...
>
> I have a video in this post of the nail board test
> ...Ill add nail deck test if you like..
>
> Keith

Yes, that would be nice.----Please add the nail deck test Keith.-------Del
March 26, 2017 11:35PM
thumbs down nice finds and video