Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hey Tom, I have a question for you directly sir...

Posted by PanMan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hey Tom, I have a question for you directly sir...
July 01, 2008 09:29PM
I know that you were a big part in the development of the F-75 as well as had a hand in the T-2...

My question is this...though i do relic hunt, it is a rarity...i mostly coin shoot.
I loooooved my old CZ7A Pro but i was digging to much iron (nails at 16" become a nuisance after the 5th nail and on...)...

...So, here's my question, with the above in mind, Which would be your choice between the F-75 and the T-2.

Depth and disc against iron are my 2 biggest needs...if depth is not superior, i can stay where i am at...Oh, and if you ever compared them to Expl 2 (not SE,theres a difference between the two, not an SE fan), please let me know.

I watched your videos and read some of your books/pamphlets and when I learned today that you had this site, I was one happy man...thanks for creating this forum, you are the best.

-Mike
Re: Hey Tom, I have a question for you directly sir...
July 01, 2008 11:13PM
I think the MXT is one of the "quietist" (if that's a word) units (in the world) in iron. Problem is.....it's TOO quiet....subsequently, it'll NOT unmask targets in the iron like the T-2 & F-75. Although the F-75/T-2 are just a bit more noisy in the iron,,,,,, they are quite acceptable,,,,,,......... and ,,, due to the nature of single-freq units, they'll handle iron differently (better) than their multi-freq counterparts. The T-2 has better "high resolution iron discrimination" vs. the F-75. The T-2 has a 00-40 iron adjustability window to split hairs..... vs. ...... the F-75's iron range is 00-15. HOWEVER; I truly feel...... for real world applications...... the F-75 is more than sufficient with it's slightly lessor/limited iron window. BUT...... the true leaps-n-bounds of the F-75 vs. the T-2...... is the fact that the F-75 has MUCH greater depth capabilities. And in most parts of the globe; this is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than folks realize. Even in the New England States....... folks would be startled if they could hunt their best/oldest "hunted out" sites......and feel like they have NEVER been detected (virgin dirt)....if....simply a few (4 - 5) inches of topsoil were to be removed. Mfr's are definately working on greater depth on new proto's; but there is still primary emphasis placed on red lateritic bad dirt.
Yes, I've compared the Exp XS, Exp-II, Exp SE (all three) to the F-75. In mild to moderate (vague terms) soil mineralization ...... the F-75,,,,,,, by a long run..... beats ALL of the Exp's in nearly every hunting scenario. Add bad dirt... and the Minelab Exp's..... hands-down...... will trump the T-2/F-75. I know you were looking for a clear..... cut-n-dry answer, but this is where technology is currently at......,,,,,, and a decision is req'd on your part. Wish the answer WAS simple.

Tom
July 02, 2008 11:22PM
Tom,

It was fantastic just for the sake of having YOU answer the question. I met many people in my life, many stars I worked with in the past...so that stuff doesn't really mean much, but to be able to share your knowledge is fantastic, I hope this site brings you all you need.

I live in MN...Where I live the soil varies...My lawn is full of iron...taking my time I found some nice relics from the early 20th cetury late 19th...but it seems that someone dropped a box of nails every 3 inches...it's horrible, but i am focused like a batter at the plate watching the pitch, all background noises and other activities in the world are blotted out when detecting it, it's just me and the tector...but it's so bad, i just need another edge....i like what you said about the T-2, but as you said and I always said too, depth is important at most sites...so the F-75 is going to be my choice since my own yard isnt the only yard i will be hunting.

Thanks Again.
its funny you compared the MXT to The 75 Tom............
July 04, 2008 12:04AM
As just a couple of weeks ago we had the opportunity to do a bit of real world comparisons in the real world.
We were hunting an old grove I had found of all places.....just across the street from my house. It produced an even 100 coins.....nothing newer than 1880...with the bulk of the coins being 1859- 1874 indians....with a nice mix of two centers, shield nickles, flying eagles, and one three cent (copper) and one 1840 LC thrown in for good measure.
Well, my diggin partner was hunting a bit below me, and stumbled onto a little honeyhole. Now, she was a female, but dont let that make you pre-judge her skill. She is arguably the best female competition hunter in the states, and a pretty decent relic hunter too. Anyway.....she finds this little spot no more than 6 feet across....and soon she is on her knees pulling indian after indian out of that spot. I told here to take her time....and when she got it cleaned out.......I'd recheck it with the 75 to see if she missed any. Well......................she ended up recovering 17 nice indians from that little 6 foot circle......and when she felt she had gotten all that was there..... She hollered at me to check it for her.
I ended up recovering another 20 indians from that little spot she hadnt heard at ALL with the MXT. All were within 4- 6 inches of the surface, and well within the range of the MXT in our soil. The problem was............there were also about thirty nails in that little hole and they effectively masked the remaining coins so she couldnt even hear them. Every coin but ONE sounded off loud and clear with the F75....and there was no question they were diggable targets.
Kinda got me to scratchin my head as to how the MXT got an almost cult like following in Va as a relic machine. Go figure............... Streak!
July 04, 2008 12:44AM
I love that story. And I love that spot...WHERE IS IT AGAIN???? (Kidding)...

Though I am leaning more then 45 degrees and almost falling on to the F-75, have you any experience with a T-2?

*And thanks for that great story too.

We will be purchasing an F-75 in about a month though, need to wait...but I can not wait!!! It's killin me.
Meanwhile, I'll be taking "Tigey" out for swims in the local lakes, it's jewelry season now in MN and me and my shark will be a huntin!!!

GOD Bless. HH Everyone.

-Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2008 01:00AM by PanMan.
July 04, 2008 10:53AM
Be careful. Don't EVER assume you got "all the REST of the coins" in that 6' spot. This is what SHE thought! Then..... you came along,,,,, found more coins.... and then this is what YOU thought! I would be highly inclined..... especially since this spot is a circle of only about a 6' radius..... to start digging up some of the larger iron objects first.... and see how bad masking is taking place. Sometimes you will be absolutely stunned..... and sometimes not.

..... This type of scenario is exactly what happens to me on a fairly frequent basis; especially with the advent of the T-2/F-75' extremely tight elliptical DD electromagnetic footprint. I could write volumes/books about all of the different experiences; ..... I just simply need the time.

Great report Streak!

Tom
July 04, 2008 12:55PM
Tom,
I agree....One of my club members hunting a well hunted site at the Sheraton Sand Key Hotel (site of 1996 and infamous 2000 Hurricane Gordon FMDAC conventions) and found a small cache with note inside ID'g it as a prize from the FMDAC hunt. It would have to have been the '96 hunt. It contained 3 silver dimes and a silver ring. Nobody found it for 12 years!

There is always something left, you just need to find it!

Wally
Actually tom......
July 04, 2008 04:43PM
I'm 99% certain I 've gotten all of them.......for precisely the reason you mentioned. I went back a couple of day later.......and detected all the iron out of the hole I could detect from the surface in stat all metal...than dug the whole little area to a depth of about 2 1/2 feet....and detected all the iron again. The net result was one more little indian. It was WORK.....as it is very rocky..and was up against a large tree (read BIG roots)
I did that same thing in Conn last fall when I stumbled over a little Reale Cache/spill in the woods. I dug 7 reales and two coppers from a 4' area........then dug it down a couple of feet the be certain I didnt miss a single one. I'm WELL aware of the problems of masking....and quite often resort to a sifter to be sure an area of interest is cleaned thoroughly. I only made the post to try to show an example of how well different machines handle masking/iron. The 75 is hands down the best I've personally ever used when it comes to ferreting the coins out of iron..........but it still suffers from it (masking).....if only to a lesser degree. I've also slooooowly come to enbrace mono tone............and 0 disc....only because 99% of my sites are old colonial sites that yield few modern trash items. Those settings have GREATLY improved my yields.....and unmasked a lot more targets....as opposed to hunting in 2F with a disc of 6. Thank for the reply.............. Streak!
July 04, 2008 09:42PM
Great info Streak..I have Been training my brain to use the Mono and 0-6 Disc myself..and dig more..most of my sites are full of masking and old rusted Iron..
Geat post folks..
CZ or ID Edge ???
July 05, 2008 03:28AM
If all you have were CZ 3d,5 & 70 and a ID Edge and small coils, of the 4 units, what unit would work the best in a area like above ??
The places that I hunt have a lot of rusty nails, tabs,iron, you name it.
These are old house sites that have been bladed off.
GB is 4.5 to 5.5.
Dry hard dirt.
Thanks & HH.
BJ
Re: CZ or ID Edge ???
July 05, 2008 11:29AM
Streak..... Your thought-process is perfectly on queue! I know of VERY few people of whom can tolerate "removing the mask" by virtue of 'digging a pit' to clean out an extreme hot-spot. I have performed this function many times. It's rough!!!... and my results have been on extreme ends; total disappointment or extremely stunned. Nothing in-between (yet). It is usually the "silent masking" that presents the greatest eye-opener....... and, I'm seeing a pattern. Pits with solid iron objects will mask some good targets; BUT.... pits that are littered with many tiny flecks of rust (inducing silent-masking) are the pits that usually produce much more 'keeper' targets. I have not dug enough pits to quantify/validate this data sufficiently thus far; however, , , I know that I have a 'bias' for more-so wanting to dig pits with a high level of disintegrated iron. Streak...... as you are witnessing....... a metal detector is merely a tool to bring you to the right spot.

Tom
Re: CZ or ID Edge ???
July 05, 2008 11:38AM
BJ ........ Overall, the CZ-3D with 5" coil should be the best combo. The 8" % 10.5" coils on the CZ-3D will also (potentially) unmask a few more "extenuating circumstance" coins. If you have time, read "Head-To-Head Comparison Testing" article.

Up-trade the CZ-5 & ID Edge for a F-75.....if you can! It'll open up yet another different window tangent of hunting experience.

Tom
Thanks Tom...
July 06, 2008 02:13AM
I had a F-75 and sold it, that 11" coil was to big and the small coil was just a dream.
I found 2 wheats today with the Edge and small coil, one of my friends was using a CZ 6a and 5" coil and the Edge & CZ play together well.
My other friend was using a old A.H. Pro backpacker, he has found some good stuff with it, like a 1922 silver dollar...at this site.
This lot has been pounded, so I feel lucky to have got the 41 & 44 wheaties.
There was a old buffalo nickel found today and a brass tax toxen and 2 old marbles,one was a big Bennington and the other one was clay.
I know there is still some good stuff out there, but there is so much trash.
They knock down the old building or house, load it up and haul it off and spread the dirt and trash around...
When I had the F-75, it seemed better than the CZ's on coins on edge.
Thanks for your help, I was going to post a picture, but did not see away to do so.
BJ