Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Impact makes an impression; now with v1.13 software

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Impact makes an impression; now with v1.13 software
April 22, 2017 10:52PM
Received my Nokta Impact from North Georgia Relics in the mail this morning about 9:30.
The zippered soft (suit) case inside the retail box was unexpected and very impressive, as was how easily everything went together in assembly.
Mechanical design and fit (ergonomics) seems first rate except for how small the text is in the display of selectable modes and functions. I can live with that a lot easier than I can with a machine that is tiring and painful to hold onto for hours at a time such as the Racer and Relic are.

My partner in the confederate camp we've been pounding for several months called me and asked if I was headed out there and I told him I'd meet him there. We detected for a bit less than 3 hours and my first target with the new Impact was a round ball. It did not give an ID (TID), just a slightly warbled high signal that just begged to be dug. A few sweet sounding, though not really clean, high signals turned out to be small iron bits. The first one read in the low 80s and was clean enough to really have me excited. Others read in the low to mid 90s. I decided to let those go for the time being. I did dig another round ball that had a slightly broken signal but a shrillness to it that was compelling.

The site has really grown out over the past month and in addition to the lush vegetation, the ground is super dry and hard. Under those conditions and with the number of hours both of us have spent there over the past 6 months, I was very happy to find the two round balls. My digging partner even said as much, saying I suppose you're pretty happy with the new detector to come in here and find two round balls right off the bat. It had been a while since either of us had found a bullet or button there.

I didn't do too much in the way of setup for the Impact. I selected DI4 and ran the gain between 90 and 70. I switched to Gen (D) for a little while, and that was all the adjusting I did other than pushing on the trigger and pumping for ground balance several times over the course of the afternoon.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2017 12:37AM by ncwayne.
Re: Impact makes an impression
April 23, 2017 02:54AM
Nice hunt, Wayne!
I made it out too and did the same as you. I'm impressed as well. I did find that if you run any disc that the flat rusty pieces of tin report as a good sounding target. Zero disc in DI3 and they report as iron or a mixed iron signal that does not pull you up. It sure hits hard on the non ferrous in amongst the iron. Did you have an opportunity to use the small coil?

Dean
April 25, 2017 04:37AM
Keeping the 4x7.5 in reserve right now, Dean. Want to see what the 7x11 will do right now. Probably 4 inches of rain the past 2 days and more overnight and into the morning. Looks like I might get out Wednesday with the Impact for a longer hunt. Maybe try a few more modes and adjustments to increase my "schooling" on the detector. I expect good things!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

April 28, 2017 12:29PM
Nice hunt. Looking forward to hearing more about the Impact from you.
HH
Corey
April 29, 2017 06:39PM
Nice hunt and report--those round balls always gave off a soft signal on my old Garrett Deep Seeker back in the70's.
April 29, 2017 09:16PM
Nice!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
more time with the Impact
May 01, 2017 11:34PM
It was supposed to rain today; and it did. Some places around here. I carried the Impact to one of my field permissions in an area that was full of surrender camps in April, 1865.
I've been working it for the past year, and I'm 20 or 30 years late getting into it. I meandered around in about 5 acres; ground that I have worked hard for the time I have been there. It's given up a couple ihps, flat buttons, and maybe 8 or 10 minie balls, mostly fired and flattened.
So I was pleased when the Impact sounded off on two minie balls, one flattened, and a fired one that is still in pretty decent shape. While detecting, I also eye-balled 2 broken projectile points. Another find was as big a piece of "camp" lead as I have ever found. Hard to say it is definitely "theirs" but just as hard to say it isn't. It has the look, that's for sure.

After a little more time with the Impact, I have a couple nits to pick. 1) It needs to tell the user whether it's reading depth in centimeters or inches. And it needs to be more accurate with both. I placed a clad dime on the ground and swung the 7x11 coil over it at a height of approximately 6 inches. The depths reported in pinpoint were 17 and 20; one of them being inches and the other, I guess, being centimeters. Or were they? Who knows?
I'd be curious as to what others are seeing regarding target depth in pinpoint mode. Do you find inches and centimeters to be easily told apart, and the depths reported for various targets accurate?

And the Impact hiccupped when I performed the "Select + Expert" button press while turning the Impact on (to change from inches to centimeters or centimeters to inches). THE IMPACT LOST ITS ABILITY TO GROUND BALANCE, I think. All I can say for sure is after performing the button press while turning on the machine to change from inches to centimeters or vice versa, I later tried to ground balance by pushing the trigger forward and raising and lowering the coil between 1 and 7 inches above the ground. There was no tone and no change from the "90" displayed for ground balance. I manually changed the ground balance value several times and repeated the pumping action. No joy!
I performed the return to factory defaults and that did not help. I wondered if removing the batteries would help, and my batteries were low. Some time later when the battery meter registered "LO," I changed the batteries. After that, the ability to ground balance was restored.

Nitpick no. 2) It would be greatly appreciated if a DOT (for example) could show up under 15 or 40 on the cursor range based on the points of iron discrimination in effect at the time. That way, if the user selects a mode that has 15 points of iron discrimination, he will be notified by a dot appearing under the 15. If he changes to a mode with 40 points of iron discrimination, the dot will show up under the 40. It's a hot mess trying to keep that straight without any visual references.
If placing a marker in the cursor range is not doable, maybe a note could be shown for a few seconds after the mode selection is made?

On a positive note, I am finding the Impact to be one of the quietest, well behaved detectors I've used. Sort of like the AT Pro, but without the sinking feeling that its giving up a lot of depth as a result. I've dug some bad signals (sounded bad or registered very low numbers with a better sound) to see what they were. The targets were pretty much what I expected. Foil, wadded aluminum, and iron. Oh, I dig some rusty iron that sounds good and reads high, but whatcha gonna do, leave it when it might be good? I like finding out what it is.

I've seen enough of the Impact already to say this. I have an F75SE that has been upgraded and still has at least 6 years of warranty left on it. It's the pro pack and still in excellent shape and I'll throw in a NEL Tornado coil for it in trade for your Impact Pro Pack (in like condition) if you are not happy with the Impact. Just PM me.

The small object sitting on the projectile point is a #4(?) shot the Impact detected while in 14 KHz, 96 Gain, 3 Disc.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2017 01:07PM by ncwayne.
Re: Impact makes an impression - feature requests, (gb problem?)
May 05, 2017 12:14AM
I installed the v1.13 software update to the Impact today and then went for a short hunt in a field where I have found confederate camp relics over the past 2 years. Non-ferrous targets in this field are scarce! The newly updated Impact ran beautifully!
It was quiet before the update; it is quieter after the update. I was having issues with a flickering/fast wide range of target depths in pinpoint and poor accuracy. So poor that I could not be sure depth was being reported as centimeters or inches. The update took care of that issue. Now the reported target depths are very close to observed target depths and they lock on quickly and stay locked on. It's an amazing difference.
Not a lot to show for the hour or two before the rain chased me away, but I did find a couple of buck balls. That's civil war, and any civil war finds around here make for a good hunt.

You would not believe how the Impact slammed on the smallest of targets. The .177 cal air rifle pellet blasted my ears from a depth of an inch. The small piece of wire (perched on the projectile point) screamed from a depth of about 5 inches. And between the signals the Impact was amazingly quiet. I hunted in DI3 with gain between 92 and 99 and zero disc.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

Re: Impact makes an impression; now with v1.13 software
May 05, 2017 12:07PM
Love seeing the pottery pieces along with the metal finds. My buddy found a complete tea saucer once...in a 1700's property...not a chip off it, gave it to his mom.
May 05, 2017 06:14PM
Cool stuff Wayne

love the arrowhead thumbs down
May 05, 2017 07:39PM
Nice write-up and pics Wayne! If it's under your coil, the Impact will find it.

You sites are looking as tired as most of mine smoking smiley I like the indian artifacts, those add context to a site and are always amazing to find.
May 05, 2017 07:42PM
bado1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I did find that if you run any disc that the flat rusty pieces of tin report as a good sounding target. Zero disc in DI3 and they report as iron or a mixed iron signal that does not pull you up. It sure hits hard on the non ferrous in amongst the iron.
>
> Dean

Interesting to note, I was running disc 1 in DI3 and did dig a bit more iron then anticipated, I'll try zero disc next time.
May 06, 2017 01:13AM
Tired sites, yes, Cal_c, but we both know there is some good stuff still there. That's why we keep searching it. I truly believe the Impact will help me find some of it. Sooner or later. Besides, detecting is great exercise and walking a big field takes a lot of time.
When it ceases to be fun, ie, hot or tired, I go home, rest up, and get excited about getting back out there.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

May 6 Barber dime, ihp
May 06, 2017 11:58PM
Went hunting for about 3 hours today with the Nokta Impact in a pasture, looking for some CW. Didn't find any CW but did find a 1905 Barber dime. Then about 5 feet away I dug a 1903 ihp. A little later, still in the same general area, I dug a 1911 wheat cent.
Kinda wonder what was going on there over a hundred years ago? Home site? Camp? Picnic, ball game? Only identifiable items found fairly close by was the umbrella slide and a piece of camp lead. Camp lead? Maybe I did find some CW <g>.
Didn't do much tinkering with the Impact. Turned it on in DI3, zero disc. and adjusted the gain and hunted. It's a fun detector and I really like the audio.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC