Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta Impact Comparison

Posted by virginia digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Nokta Impact Comparison
April 29, 2017 09:09PM
Good write up Daniel..

When you get a chance use Gen(D) in open areas where you know deep bullets are at.

You don't like 99??? Listen for the SQUEAKERS!winking smiley

I've decided to let The ones who BUY it report what they see..

I want to see what others see sort of Blindly going in..

No predetermined ideas to LEAD someone.....I spent alot of man hours as did others in the field ((Halloween of last year till About late Feb this year))....Almost to the point of becoming a job to me.

It's easier for me to buy a machine and mention/boast what I like than it is to help however small My contribution was to the overall Fruition of the unit..I become emotionally attached and I don't want to be accused of hype or misleading the BUYER...

This to me will be a report card...nothing more nothing less..Its not my Goal to sway a buyer..it's not a requirement from Mak/Nok to do so..

I think the machine over time will speak for itself good and or bad..

I cant say it enough as of late....VLF is VLF is VLF...Look for things that will help you have an advantage for YOUR style of hunts in this TECH..the Impact has a lot of TOOLS..

One thing I hope to see and Ill leave it at this....is anyone using the Notching with Notching Volume in heavy modern trash..??

And yes your right the audio is Now CLEANER than all Mak/Noks Predecessors...winking smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 29, 2017 09:29PM
Just wrapped up about a 3.5 hour hunt in the little trashy picnic grove area. Man it's already hot outside...90 here today.

I am happy to report that the Impact does not suffer from the steel crown cap problem that the F75 seems to here. Lord knows they are everywhere at this site. What I did notice was that I would get a signal on them...sometimes high toning but never locking. Very jumpy...then when I would turn 90 degrees to it, it would just be all low numbers. I dug one just to see what it was and it was a crown cap so that to me, is a very good thing.

There were a lot of targets that would ID and lock in the 40s and 50 range. I didn't feel like digging those today; just chased after some coins. I got a little pocketful of older clad from the late 60s and early 70s and decided to nickel hunt with the CTX for a little bit. In doing so, I stumbled across a 12-42 signal that had a little depth. I got the Impact and actually videoed this target but have no way of posting it now as my internet hotspot has died and the connection I have at home now, is barely enough to load a forum text. Impact was giving a good high tone over top of this target and off to the side a little, would give a ramping up signal of sorts...numbers going from the 70s to low 80s. It sounded good all the way around. CTX said it was 5 inches...Impact said it was 3. It ended up being a wheatie at about 5 inches. That was the oldest coin today. No silver. Did get a '52 nickel. Ran it in 3 tone, with iron volume at 1. I did not have any trouble with aluminum giving 80s numbers like I ran into with the red racer. I never used the Racer 2 so I can't compare to that.

Someone asked about EMI comparison to other machines. My Impact gets chattery if you run it above 90 sensitivity. If you can handle the extra noise, there does seem to be a boost in signal strength past 90. If I had to compare it to another machine, it reminds me a lot of the pre DST F75 machines. There is going to be some chatter with it but you have 3 major frequency changes you can make to tame it, as well as the individual freq offsets. It has a lot of horsepower under its hood. The latest F75s and such are quieter but to me, they have been throttled back and neutered in depth. This latest one I had was a 2-2017 build date and although quiet as a mouse, it was not sensitive at all. The Impact with its 4x7 coil could air test a coin further than the F75 wide open with the stock coil. Same goes for this newest T2 that I just got.

Keith -- 99 tones will take some getting used to for me. Everything sounds like it squeeks to me in that...like a bunch of kids being annoying with balloons. I don't do much Civil War hunting these days. The places just aren't available to hunt anymore around here. In fact, one of my good buddies just sold every detector he had and most of his collection too for the same reason. He said the relics depressed him looking at them...he sold 10 detectors in the span of a week. The parks, old schools, homesites, etc seem to not have been detected as much here.
April 29, 2017 09:33PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All these companies/most make some incredible prod
> ucts but reviews and videos are solely dependant t
> o that persons location, I can follow FBS, Deus, G
> MP machines and still find stuff and vice versa, O
> ne of my main bug bares with modern machines is th
> e design where there is not enough rearward weight
> to balance the machine when using larger coils and
> later Whites and FT and the Racers are all guilty
> is this and as soon as I see that type of design I
> switch off, The older Whites and GP/GPX machines l
> end their selves very well to using larger coils a
> nd I just wish that these companies would remember
> this, Swinging an Etac or Quatro with a 14/15" coi
> l makes for hard days work and the same with FT an
> d the Racers, The Balance of the machine is crucia
> l, As heavy as the old blue box is it floats at a
> natural angle where it will balance on one finger,
> modern machines always appear noes heavy.
>
> John.

It's indeed all about getting into the swing of things.
A bike drink flask taped under the armcup, filled with cloth and a single diving weight takes care of balance.
MXT I recently purchased has a nice swing to it.

With a nice swing comes great coil control, great ground tracking/balance, more usuable depth and efficient area coverage.

Why detectors don't have an eyelet on top of the control box to attach the harness and a weight trimming system on the battery/brain box.
That has astounded me, because in every manual,... in every manual they have a section telling you coil control is paramount!

And then they impact you with high fuel consumption and a weird refueling lid.
Will check out at dealer :-)

HH
Johnb
April 29, 2017 09:44PM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All these companies/most make some incredible pr
> od
> > ucts but reviews and videos are solely dependant
> t
> > o that persons location, I can follow FBS, Deus,
> G
> > MP machines and still find stuff and vice versa,
> O
> > ne of my main bug bares with modern machines is
> th
> > e design where there is not enough rearward weig
> ht
> > to balance the machine when using larger coils a
> nd
> > later Whites and FT and the Racers are all guilt
> y
> > is this and as soon as I see that type of design
> I
> > switch off, The older Whites and GP/GPX machines
> l
> > end their selves very well to using larger coils
> a
> > nd I just wish that these companies would rememb
> er
> > this, Swinging an Etac or Quatro with a 14/15" c
> oi
> > l makes for hard days work and the same with FT
> an
> > d the Racers, The Balance of the machine is cruc
> ia
> > l, As heavy as the old blue box is it floats at
> a
> > natural angle where it will balance on one finge
> r,
> > modern machines always appear noes heavy.
> >
> > John.
>
> It's indeed all about getting into the swing of th
> ings.
> A bike drink flask taped under the armcup, filled
> with cloth and a single diving weight takes care o
> f balance.
> MXT I recently purchased has a nice swing to it.
>
> With a nice swing comes great coil control, great
> ground tracking/balance, more usuable depth and ef
> ficient area coverage.
>
> Why detectors don't have an eyelet on top of the c
> ontrol box to attach the harness and a weight trim
> ming system on the battery/brain box.
> That has astounded me, because in every manual,...
> in every manual they have a section telling you co
> il control is paramount!
>
> And then they impact you with high fuel consumptio
> n and a weird refueling lid.
> Will check out at dealer :-)

Yeah John I have thinned the heard but the MXT has stayed, If you want a couple more inches in depth for the MXT try getting the Detech 14x10 excellerator Coil, it is the same weight +/- as the factory 10"DD but it adds a couple of inches in depth,

It's a pity they don't make counter weights specially made for most detectors because machines like the F75 and the MX Sport would really benefit from them when using larger coils.

John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 10:35PM by auminesweeper.
April 29, 2017 10:04PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> hey Steve H. thanks for the write-up! best MD writ
> ing I've ever seen hands down and you zeroed right
> in and put to rest the whole 'depth' issue....(for
> VLF's)
>
> too bad that post can't be made into a 'sticky' of
> some sort....would cut down on the same studid que
> stions being ask ad infinitum....
>
> btw, you should think about writing some sort of '
> pdf' electronic book of your various writiing's ie
> : tech issues, your big gold finds, your trips, MD
> comparisons, etc, etc...
>
> Many folks are interested in your insights and rev
> elations...and would buy it in a heartbeat....
>
> One thought/question I had for you, Reno sounds li
> ke it sucks for detecting coins, ie bad dirt and l
> ack of finds?, so why even do it?
>
> I'd be out looking for gold year-round if I lived
> in Reno....
>
> keep up the fantastic writing, and btw, your websi
> te rocks, best MD site out there!

You are welcome. Sorry to say the commentary about bias etc. has me feeling like Keith these days, so I rarely post outside my home turf anymore. Some topics do make me succumb to the urge to comment however, and the old depth thing is one of them.

I spend 90% of my hours gold nugget detecting, and probably 9% more jewelry detecting, so the 1% coin hunting is more something I do just because I can just take an hour or two and give it a go. Almost all the coin detecting time is spent comparing detectors in the bad Reno ground with more an eye on what it teaches me about them for nugget hunting purposes. I actually do well on silver coins, nothing dramatically old or anything, but since I am using PI detectors and doing other weird stuff I regularly find silver in the parks here that everyone else gave up on long ago. I test and compare detectors for the actual fun of doing it because I always enjoy learning more about what makes detectors tick. The stuff I find is more accidental by-product. But when it comes to actual detecting there is nothing I love more than being by myself way out in the middle of nowhere prospecting for gold. Anything else pales by comparison.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind comment from you and doc, etc. I put a huge amount of hours and effort into my website as it is a legacy project of sorts. It's ok now but really will be something to brag about in another five years - very long term project. Who knows, might even find time for a book!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 10:32PM by Steve Herschbach.
April 29, 2017 10:22PM
Good report Daniel

sounds like you're clicking with the Impact thumbs down
April 29, 2017 10:49PM
Great reporting Daniel. I already decided the Impact was a keeper for me but it is nice to see confirmation coming in from other parts of the country on different targets in different soils. The kicker on all this is I don't think we have seen the last update to the machine so whatever feedback you and others offer is being paid attention to I am sure.

My battery door I just put my thumb in the middle of the door and press in a little while pulling at one corner, which pops off, and then the other. Comes off easily, so I am not sure what is up with that.
April 30, 2017 02:40AM
Keith I used notching volume so I could high tone nickel and still heard iron in di3. so this meant notching 35-64 to iron tone trash. good in practice but it made audio crackley like a MX Sport. I didnt try it in heavy iron. I also feel DI99 audio clips depth.

my favs are gen(d), di3, vlx. at least until di4 and vlx2 get audio tkne ajustment.

anyone trip out with STA(d)? audio literally speaks to you. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2017 02:43AM by detectingMO.