Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

beach small gold detector

Posted by Doug Manning 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
beach small gold detector
April 29, 2017 07:06PM
out of 5 detectors ,not one would hit a 3'' small gold toe ring in the dry sand ! what detector would you guys think would do the job the best ! thanks Doug
Re: beach small gold detector
April 29, 2017 08:23PM
Doug...what 5 detectors were tested ?

The small gold/dry sand units that work the best are the single frequency units running at the higher end.

Check out the threads on micro jewelry hunting with these types of units.

Tom D has an entire work of art about this type of hunting (posts, videos) using the Fisher Gold Bug 2 (the 71 kHz unit).
April 29, 2017 08:54PM
You dont know what you missed...... if you miss it, but.... ive not had an issue finding gold toe rings, earrings and such with the Xcal and CTX at that depth, even in the wet sand. Cant say about depth...... BUT the Xcal will hit on a piece of gold about .3 grams. There will be trade offs with any machine. I may leave smaller stuff.... but that means gum wrappers which seems to be getting popular and other small trash that a more sensitive machine will hit on. I choose to hit the larger gold .... knowing im missing smaller. You could get a TDI..... dig more and still leave the beach with the mumbles. Id use it as a nitch machine when nothing else was panning out. I also find these machines hit best on undisturbed targets..... so that 3" could be 4 or 5. To me its all about covering more ground effectively knowing i dont get it all. BUT..... one 5 gram 14K vs a .3 grams 14k earring..... thats what $10 may not be worth sifting thru the trash and covering less beach.

Dew
April 29, 2017 09:15PM
What type Sand??

Is it black ?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 29, 2017 09:20PM
Doug,
Are you actively seeking toe rings in dry sand or,
are there more important aspects to this question?
Des D
April 30, 2017 12:10AM
The rutus alter 71 loves gold range targets in dry sand, and its deep.
April 30, 2017 01:19AM
Might try a Tesoro in the dry....I Know some older models run in zero disc.a fishhook or bobbi pin will crackle and small gold will hit...Of course tabs and the like will drive you crazy...
April 30, 2017 01:41AM
The DeepTech Vista Gold is a very good jewelry hunter.
April 30, 2017 11:41AM
When I try to hunt the dry sand I usually end up going back and forth between wet and dry sand anyways. Some times the heat just makes me go to the water and some times I tire of digging trash or I just look for easier walking. So single frequency detectors don't really cut it for me. The Racer series are the exception. I agree that single frequency detectors hit small gold much better. But through all the trials of detectors on the beach I still just use a Sovereign. The trade off for the stability is indeed a loss of sensitivity to small gold. But like some have said I accept that because larger gold is my target. Oh how I wish this new Garrett coming out soon was multi frequency. To hit small gold deep like studs requires patience because you will dig trash like crazy and not move very far. It also requires something other than the average scoop because targets fall through. I just can't bring myself to hunt for them.
April 30, 2017 11:59AM
I guess my point was ....... a $10 piece of gold vs a $150 piece of gold since most peoples time is limited. So its all about whats in the pouch at the end of the day. Let me also say...... gold toes rings are rare finds just because most people realize they come off and dont spend the money on them. I call it nitch hunting..... because you have to intend to be meticulous and grid for small gold. Id guess.... you might get lucky and find 3 small golds at best.... and all three wouldnt equal 1 gold ring. So thats why most of us KNOW we are ring hunting.

Dew
April 30, 2017 03:43PM
Doug = Fisher Gold Bug-2 and the Makro Racer Gold are your answer.

Dew = My $10 piece of gold......has a $1000 diamond imbedded/captivated in it!
April 30, 2017 03:58PM
I do agree on machine talk, I wondered about the target. I've seen some very thin toe rings and having an open shape verses a closed 'finger' ring tends to hit softer and often with a less noble tone. If it is VERY low volume gold 3 inches is not so crazy. Never the less, not knowing what machine and settings makes it quite vague to evaluate. IMHO

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 30, 2017 11:38PM
Tom....... you're a better hunter than me lol. I also find those pricy pieces but, those finds end up in my safe because i cant get near what they are worth. ORRRRR....... some lady robs my safe lol. Not saying you cant find targets worth a mint........ but i believe you were the one who said....... realistically we are ring hunting with water detectors.

Dew
May 01, 2017 01:47AM
Yes....... NOT by choice........ we are ONLY "Ring" hunting whilst in the wet-salt................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................... as current technology does not allow us to find fine jewelry, tiny jewelry.....and especially: micro-jewelry in the wet-salt.

((( I too....... have been robbed of some of my vault jewelry; yet, this is what authorizes additional kitchen-passes! )))