Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have a camera question....

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have a camera question....
May 12, 2017 06:04PM
Asking here because so many of you record stuff. Could I use a dash cam to record with instead of something like a gopro camera? Could a dash cam focus in on a detector's faceplate? I get some free stuff later this summer for a service aniversary and I'm trying to figure out the best options for my loot. Mainly want it for recording driving trips, some hiking trips and my V3 ring tutorial.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. This is new for me.

Thanks
Mike
Re: I have a camera question....
May 12, 2017 07:10PM
In theory that would be a Yes Mike!

Two things: do they focus to distance by default?
Some models have a screen so you can see what's being recorded. That's the issue with 80% of GOPro - they don't have screens.

Thirdly, I don't know what the audio quality would be?

But to answer that would be a yes you could.

Let us know how you go?
May 12, 2017 07:57PM
Mike,
The most difficult aspect of making a good video is the editing portion. I've used Go-Pros and the do a great job of capturing but they (mine) do not have a pause/record function. So, every time you stop recording you have created a new file. At the end of the session you now have multiple files that need to be merged. Or, you can just keep recording and then edit out unwanted footage. Either way you NEED good editing software. I find that I prefer my smart phone for capturing video as it has a pause record function and I can pause for the boring stuff, like digging or endless swinging scenes before finding a target, and then resume recording where I left off without having to merge a bunch of files together. I'm basically "editing" in the field which cuts way down on editing time at home.
I would recommend watching well done vids and pay attention to the way they "set up" the hunt to avoid having to do a bunch of editing. The Hoover Boys have a great flow to their hunt videos...they don't waste the viewer's time with a bunch of boring crap.

Perhaps, cameras and editing software have evolved in the last year or two and someone can make both of our lives easier with other suggestions.

Dean
May 12, 2017 08:26PM
Well said Bado.
Editing is the hard part.

1. Upload footage to computer
2. Examine footage to see it and decide if good/bad
3. Begin to edit (patch together) by dragging and dropping wanted scenes to Timeline
4. Edit the edited scenes... a lot of time can be spent here
5. Once happy with footage, put in Titles, Music, Transitions etc.
6. Final Render: depending on the length of the film, the editing software, the computer all combined can turn into minutes to hours.
7. You will be left with a file that can be uploaded to YouTube
8. Log onto YouTube and Upload - again depending on the length of the film and the MB (megabyte) size of the file and your broadband provider all combine to be minutes or hours to upload

The rough rule is: 3 hours of filming editing & uploading equates to every 'finished minute' you see.

So that's the 'nitty gritty' of it and why so few do it.

It's also very hard to hunt AND film at the same time.

After carrying all the gear required into a location that you might have to hike in a few kilometres, set up, film the desired scenes, hike out, go home, edit, upload, you're talking a day and a half.
May 12, 2017 08:31PM
It took me three hours of research to find the right camera. As for the editing, I am a pro at that, I edit video quite often. But it is very time consuming.
May 12, 2017 08:53PM
Thank you all for the helpful advice. It will help me compare models. Regards the dash cam I was planning on getting one of those anyway and thought maybe it could do double duty. As I continue to shop I see I have some other alternatives to GO PRo as well. There is some Coleman and some Vivitar stuff available too. Time to put on the research hat.

HH
Mike
May 12, 2017 09:22PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you all for the helpful advice. It will he
> lp me compare models. Regards the dash cam I was
> planning on getting one of those anyway and though
> t maybe it could do double duty. As I continue to
> shop I see I have some other alternatives to GO PR
> o as well. There is some Coleman and some Vivitar
> stuff available too. Time to put on the research
> hat.
>
> HH
> Mike

yeah, there's a rake of stuff out there now!

The only snag (if there is one?) is, can a dash cam 'look into' and focus on a hole as you are extracting finds??? I don't know???
May 12, 2017 11:36PM
Mike,

Here are a couple video clips of a guy from BC using the Mobious Camera setup using a homemade camera attachment...great camera and low cost, excellent quality 1080P or 780P.
Very small and light..easy to make mounts for it. .
This is the same camera I'm using on my metal detectors as well...I also use it for a dash cam also.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Good luck...

Whimp.

HH.
May 13, 2017 03:59PM
Mike,

I saw a brilliant New camera today! Didn't know it existed!

Olympus TG-Tracker Action Cam 4K

I've a healthy respect for Olympus Zuiko (zweeko) lenses.

This is a beauty with a flip-out screen, AND a very brite lite on top for looking into dark dig holes!

Check it out....

Des D
May 14, 2017 04:36PM
I had a brief encounter with Go-Pro and editing stuff. Since then I've got a healthy respect for guys filming stuff and decided my life was too short to become proficient.

So rather then try and decide after watching endless youtube bits and pieces if a detector and anything else suits me for that matter.
Save up and buy and try!

But again, AMEN to all those guys producing flics for our entertainment!!

HH
Johnb
May 15, 2017 11:19AM
Mike,

A bit of 'bad news' about dashcam's.
Most have to be plugged into the cars cigarette lighter socket to work!

I looked at 'NextBase', 'Garmin', 'Cobra', and there's no mention of battery power?

You might have to look around to find one that might last a long time without being plugged in?

Another problem observed was some wouldn't allow easy uploading of files to a computer.
The MicroSD cards had to be taken out and put into a separate card reader.

I'm thinking a GoPro or similar 'action can' might be a better bet?
GoPro do a tiny new model now and packs a punch.
When "White's" made their MX Sport videos they had the mini GoPro fitted to the detectors handle and got very good footage.
June 07, 2017 06:33PM
All this talk about dash cams and of course I began to investigate the purchase of one!

But, to finally answer Mike's Q: I looked at a 'Garmin 52' and the specs say it can work for half an hour away from the charging cradle!

So, as I was shooting the Mojave in the woods yesterday, it took more than a half an hour to locate a first target, so it's safe to assume that using a dashcam' to hunt is a non-runner!!!

( before you jump to conclusions about the Mojave, the woods in question have been searched by me a lot so old finds are very scarce now. I did find a ferrous target but I wasn't into filming it )
June 07, 2017 09:07PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It took me three hours of research to find the rig
> ht camera. As for the editing, I am a pro at that,
> I edit video quite often. But it is very time cons
> uming.

Your a bloody machine mate -

What editing software would you recommend for someone who has difficulties in this area?

I mainly have issues with cropping the scenes I film - I haven't spent too much time on this but would appreciate some direction from guys like you - cheers

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
June 08, 2017 09:50AM
Easy-to-use video editor:
[www.nchsoftware.com]

Free + Linux:
[www.openshot.org]

For full-scale shooting of video clips:
[www.sony.com]
June 09, 2017 12:37PM
Looking forward to your V3 ring tutorial, Mike.
August 01, 2017 04:33PM
Ok....I'm getting the gear ordered now....Decided I'm going with the GoPro HeroSessions Camcorder and I want to pair it with a tablet (I don't own a smart phone). I'm looking at the Amazon Fire series tablets with the GoPro app to drive it with. Any issues using this type tablet to drive my camera?

Thanks
Mike
August 01, 2017 06:07PM
My IT is talking me into going 4K. That would be the GoPro Hero5 Sessions with a Amazon 4K Tablet. What do you think?

HH
Mike
August 01, 2017 10:06PM
Good thread, I know a lot of diggers going video, I'm still old fashion, I got all my years on a stick, 18 years worth, I can bring it anywhere, bet I could do that if it was video too, good talk
August 01, 2017 10:27PM
Placed the order. GoPro Hero5 Sessions with a 2017 Amazon Fire 8 HD 32gb Tablet so I can drive it with the GoPro App. Didn't cost me anything as its all part of my 20 year service anniversary award. I checked out ebay for mounts and decided it was better to order mounts off ebay than use up points that I wanted to put to other stuff. I'm excited. Maybe in 6 weeks time I'll see it all waiting for me at the door. Christmas in September.

September.....isn't that when a bunch of new detectors are susposed to be released??? HA!

HH
Mike
August 03, 2017 10:24AM
The issue is good camera with macro option... and this is not easy... I'm working on Mobius, but you need to experiment with some special focus lens for it.
December 15, 2017 07:36PM
So....I'll most likely have the camera mounted on the brim of my hat. I need to get my headphones plugged into the camera. Which I can do. But I'll also need my voice plugged in as well.

Headphones is pretty easy..... female Y splitter coming out of detector. I plug my headphone in one side, Plug the camera in the other side. Done. But I also have to get my voice on the camera. Do I do another splitter with an external mic on the camera side? or should I just dub over it afterwards? I'd prefer not to do dub overs, though.

Or should I just put an external mic inside my headphone muff and hope for both detector and voice to come through? I'd like to do it right at the start and not have to put a lot of trial and error into making it work right.

What are the rest of you guys doing? Headphones are not optional.

HH
Mike