Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hunting Tot Lots?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hunting Tot Lots?
May 12, 2017 06:11PM
I was wondering You Guys who hunt these with the Woodchips You just use a digger to move the chips away?, as never hunted these before? Still have plenty of these near by and hear they can be a hot spot for Gold?
Re: Hunting Tot Lots?
May 12, 2017 06:21PM
I have used a small claw type digger to rake up impacted chips, but generally all it takes is your hand to dig in wood chips.
May 12, 2017 06:24PM
All I ever use in those type Tot lots is my big ole foot to rake away the chips. But it is good policy...I think...to cover your spots. The wood will be dark and moist but will dry as soon as the sun bakes it. Have fun...Tot lots are fun!

Charles
May 12, 2017 06:32PM
I have a scoop with an 18" handle. They were sand lots before they moved to woodchips. After woodchips have been in place a couple of seasons they will build up a false bottom somewhat like particle board. If targets are beneath this layer you will have to beat through it. The scoop works good for that. Most of the time you can just use your foot. Try it a couple of times and its pretty easy to figure out. Totlots are area of detecting that have a set of requirements all to their own.

HH
Mike
N/T
May 12, 2017 06:32PM
N/T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 06:40PM by Mike Hillis.
May 12, 2017 07:01PM
I mostly use a mid size screw driver for moving the chips around. HH jim tn
May 12, 2017 07:51PM
Screwdriver or Lesche Digger.

I have found several gold rings and one Tiffany platinum/diamond ring in wood chip tot lots.
May 12, 2017 08:51PM
Leshe works fine.
Tot lots harbor some nice jewelry but be aware that some of the ones with wood chips also have layer of that weed blocking landscape fabric.