Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tick removal

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tick removal
May 13, 2017 12:03PM
A lot of you guys must hunt in tick infested areas at certain times of the year.-----What's the most effective way you've found to get them off you once the stinkin things are imbedded in your skin?----We were out in the mountains in the early Spring with snow still on the ground and got several of the things on us even at that early time of year.-----A match that has been lit & blown out so it's still warm and then touched on them will (sometimes) back them off you.---What "method" do you use?-----I've read that if you get them off before a certain time (once they are imbedded on you) that there isn't much risk of getting lymes disease or whatever else the things carry.-----This query is about "tick removal" rather than "tick prevention".----We always try to practice the "prevention" part first---but even then-----------.
Re: Tick removal
May 13, 2017 12:34PM
I take tea tree oil and put a drop right where they are embedded and that usually gets them to back out. If not then a heated up pair of tweezers touched to their bellies and back side seems to get them to back out.
May 13, 2017 01:40PM
Hell , I just let them get their fill and drop off,,,,not worried much about Lyme disease after 65 as the symptoms are pretty much the state as normal living.

Approximately 25–50% of infected people do not develop a rash. Other early symptoms may include fever, headache and feeling tired. If untreated, symptoms may include loss of the ability to move one or both sides of the face, joint pains, severe headaches with neck stiffness, or heart palpitations, among others. Months to years later, repeated episodes of joint pain and swelling may occur. Occasionally, people develop shooting pains or tingling in their arms and legs. Despite appropriate treatment, about 10 to 20% of people develop joint pains, memory problems, and feel tired for at least six months

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 01:42PM by shoveler.
May 13, 2017 02:42PM
I second the heated tweezers as it woks well....
May 13, 2017 02:48PM
When you are done hunting, throw your clothes in the dryer first on high heat, that kills any ticks on your clothes.
May 13, 2017 02:59PM
The best way is with needle pointed tweezers. Grab them as close as you can to the head and pull. They produce a cement that holds them while they draw your blood. If you burn, suffocate, squeeze them etc, they will release their innards contents....don't want that.

After I remove them I place them on a tile and fry them with a torch like cigar lighter they pop and die in half a second..

They come in on my dog.....we are constantly removing and killing tics. When I go detecting I spray Deep Woods Off on my boots and pant legs...never come back with tics when I use that....surprisingly.
May 13, 2017 03:10PM
Ozzie's method is best---any heating etc. to the ticks body will cause regurgitation of stomach contents which contain all the baddies.
I also apply triple antibiotic ointment to the bite mark.
May 13, 2017 03:30PM
Do not try and burn them or pop them or any of the above the best way is to go on amazon and type in tick remover and read the reviews of uses before you buy...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 13, 2017 04:28PM
The old standard is to eat garlic pills early in the spring and they will not stay on you.This is also good for dogs and cats as I have done this many times while lving in the country/suburbs and keep taking garlic pills all summer and feeding pills to your pets,u can get smell less pills at wallgreens cvs etc or health food store they're cheap shortribs
May 13, 2017 05:14PM
A co-worker has been eating garlic in the mornings to cure his ills. Man, does he stink after awhile. Glad he works 30 feet away.

I keep a Tick spoon handy in my tackle box and detecting box, these work great:
https://www.tickedoff.com/

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 13, 2017 05:50PM
Ticks don't exist out here in the desert much. Probably only encountered a half dozen , about one per decade. This guy seems to have the real skinny ,,, talks funny though.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2017 05:50PM by shoveler.
May 13, 2017 07:49PM
I Just pull them off with my fingers WEEKLY,,

Funny the are usually dead..never swollen up ..I think they have to stay attached for like 72 hours to give you lyme disease..

Mosquitos don't bite me as side note..

Must have some weird blood..

why eat hamburger when they can have steak I guess,,,LOL..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 13, 2017 09:52PM
I am a tick magnet...and those nasty bastards mess me up. I now spray my clothes and snake gaiters with permit hen ahead of time. Rather not get bit. When I do though,just pull the ahold off me quick.
May 13, 2017 10:38PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a tick magnet...and those nasty bastards mess
> me up. I now spray my clothes and snake gaiters wi
> th permit hen ahead of time. Rather not get bit. W
> hen I do though,just pull the ahold off me quick.

Yeah, spray your clothes with Permethrin and you won't have to worry about pulling them off because you won't have any.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
May 13, 2017 10:51PM
I am with ozzie. Tweezers and then a dab of alcohol. HH jim tn
May 15, 2017 03:14PM
More info on tick removal...

[www.cdc.gov]

Cheers.
May 15, 2017 03:41PM
It sounds like to remove a tick is one thing but to kill the bastard is another

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 16, 2017 02:00AM
I just pull them off.
I do have a hunting buddy who is fighting lyme disease as we speak. Dont take it lightly
HH
Corey
May 18, 2017 05:29PM
Take 'Sulfur and Cream Of Tarter Tablets' and you will not be bothered by ticks or mosquitoes. We took one a day when I was a kid and they work! They used to be over the counter at any pharmacy but not any more. Just do a search for them and they can be ordered online. Also, ticks can be removed with just a drop of Tree Oil.
May 20, 2017 11:06PM
Someone once recommended that a dab of liquid soap on a cotton ball would do it. I guessing the soap would cut off the oxygen, and the tick backs out while the cotton ball entangles him as he get caught up in the cotton fibers. Haven't tried it but it sounds logical. I got Lyme by not dressing right and spraying down just once, only time I was bit. Now I double overlap clothes and use Permethrin on my boots and I have been good.
May 21, 2017 05:29AM
I tried the liquid soap thing--didn't work for me.------All it did was kill the stinkin things & I had to pull them off anyway as they were still embedded in the skin & dead. coinnut Wrote:
> Someone once recommended that a dab of liquid soap
> on a cotton ball would do it. I guessing the soap
> would cut off the oxygen, and the tick backs out w
> hile the cotton ball entangles him as he get caugh
> t up in the cotton fibers. Haven't tried it but it
> sounds logical. I got Lyme by not dressing right a
> nd spraying down just once, only time I was
> bit. Now I double overlap clothes and use Permethr
> in on my boots and I have been good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 05:34AM by D&P-OR.
May 22, 2017 01:21PM
Well that didn't work lol. Thanks for the update on the soap method.

D&P-OR Wrote:
> I tried the liquid soap thing--didn't work for me.
> ------All it did was kill the stinkin things & I h
> ad to pull them off anyway as they were still embe
> dded in the skin & dead. coinnut Wro
> te:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Someone once recommended that a dab of liquid so
> ap
> > on a cotton ball would do it. I guessing the soa
> p
> > would cut off the oxygen, and the tick backs out
> w
> > hile the cotton ball entangles him as he get cau
> gh
> > t up in the cotton fibers. Haven't tried it but
> it
> > sounds logical. I got Lyme by not dressing right
> a
> > nd spraying down just once, only time I w
> as
> > bit. Now I double overlap clothes and use Permet
> hr
> > in on my boots and I have been good.
May 22, 2017 02:24PM
May 23, 2017 02:32AM
Lots of interesting ways to remove a tick.