Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Used" Impact sales.

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Used" Impact sales.
May 15, 2017 05:38PM
Why are Impacts being listed FS already?----Is there a "real" reason for this or is this just "business as usual" upon the release of a new detector?-----Looks like the reason for selling stated by the sellers is that they don't have the time (or patience) to learn a new detector (words to that effect).------What, they didn't know this was a new/different detector??confused smiley
Re: "Used" Impact sales.
May 15, 2017 05:46PM
I think it's the same with all New units. People can't wait to try something New to see if they like it better than Old faithful. Some do and some don't.
May 15, 2017 05:57PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's the same with all New units. People c
> an't wait to try something New to see if they like
> it better than Old faithful. Some do and some don'
> t.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true Harold.----It's just that what with all the feature set & all this detector is claimed to do--it doesn't seem like they are even giving it time to see what it is capable of.-------With the transferable warranty & at a cut price--it makes a good deal for the second buyer I guess.
May 15, 2017 07:05PM
OR they want the AT MAX or some other machine
May 15, 2017 09:14PM
Or they get them in to review & test, then move on to the next unit to test -

Yes there are people that actually do this

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
May 15, 2017 10:49PM
They sound Great.. But there's just something about having...A E-trac with a X-1 Probe in your hand..!!!
Sorta like some kind of Drug ?
May 15, 2017 11:24PM
mascard1 Wrote:
> They sound Great.. But there's just something abou
> t having...A E-trac with a X-1 Probe in your hand
> ..!!!
> Sorta like some kind of Drug ?

It's that Sweet Silver Warble! Even the CTX 3030s Don't have it.
May 16, 2017 12:31AM
Del is it like

BUY-TRY-BYE

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 16, 2017 01:54AM
For me as a tester I didn't like the machine when I got it. Like the deus it took about a month for me to really get a feel for it...I have been using different machines for about 20 years now...but once I understood the language of the machines and how the programs worked I have not been able to stop using it and go back to the deus...And how machines have three Freq you can select? Not many so maybe it was too much machine for some users. I have spoken to a few deus users and they won't let go of their machines but I think the impact is going to do well and as we all do we wait until the next newest machine comes out that claims to do more...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 16, 2017 02:35AM
I think alot of the quick sales are usually from guys who have pre conceived notion of what they want or what they need..

and alot of guys may be ZONEd in to what they already have and if it doesn't fit that bill they move on to the enxt unit..

The world has become bogged down wiht VLFs and there's no shortage of options out there as of late...

So Luckily there's enough available to allow a person to hone in for personal requirements..

I will say this though no matter what unit a person tries the biggest blunder that can be made with a unit is not KNOWING the sweep speed requirement for any said unit...

that one thing can make or break a unit ...

and sometimes that can take awhile to re accustom yourself for a NEW unit..

and its something that some may not even be thinking about...there's so many settings and lights and features etc you can get lost in them and forget the basic approach..

I believe a T2 user or F75 user would meld right into the Impact sweep speed.

not an explorer user or 5900 user if that makes sense

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 16, 2017 02:43AM
I've put about 30 hours on the Impact thus far. I'm very impressed at it's versatility. I know that I need to spend more time with it to fully appreciate what it is capable of in various situations. I don't understand why/how someone would sell a machine, like this one, this early after it's intro unless they just don't "jive" with it (been there). They certainly can't be proficient with it yet, IMO. Maybe the wife got pissed and is "forcing" the sale sad smiley? I would be curious to know what they didn't like about it.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 02:47AM by bado1.
May 16, 2017 02:46AM
Same as any new detector. No reflection on the Impact. Folks have different reasons.

I remember when the Troy X5 came out. Folks complained that they were digging too many nails. Lol
May 16, 2017 06:16AM
Who knows. It happens with bows too on the archery forums I go to. Guys will preorder a bow as soon as they are announced, wait for months for it to come in, bellyaching the whole time about how long it is taking. Then sell it within 2 weeks after it comes in. Some people just have to be one of the first people to get something and then when that thrill is gone, on to the next thing. I have been trying hard to like the Impact. I've stuck with it longer than previous Nokta or Makro machines. I see potential there but I just haven't found anything good with it yet. I hunted my wife's grandparents house. I have hammered that place...found a lot of silver 1940s to 1960s era stuff there. The family is selling the place and I went to give it one last go with the Impact and CTX. I hunted the small side yards and back yard...just digging misc trash. Didn't get any "coin" signals...just iffy trash signals that I decided to investigate. Occasionally I would get a signal that sounded good...reading in the 70s to 80s...and dig it and it totally disappears. As in completely gone. Cant get anything in all metal or with the pinpointer. No iron in the hole either. I had just dug one of those and went and grabbed the CTX. Ran it over the hole...not even a null in the threshold. But about 3 feet away, got a 12-40 signal at 5 inches. Checked it with the Impact. From one angle I got a good 70-80s signal. From 90 degrees to it, it ranged from the 40s to the 60s consistently. It was a wheatie. Hunted a half hour more with the CTX over the ground I had just covered with the Impact and came up with another 12-40s signal at 6 inches. Same thing as before when checked with the Impact DI3, 5 and 14 khz....a big fluctuation in numbers. I tend to circle all my targets and you really have to find a sweet spot to get "coin" numbers at the sites I have been...unless it is shallow clad then it locks well. So I'm hinting around at saying that my opinion is that the machine is deep...and the ID is better than past models...but it's not on the same level as Minelab's on cherry picking coins out of modern trash. As a relic machine or dig all targets above iron machine...extremely powerful and deep.
May 16, 2017 09:36AM
Yeah, people can be strange (me too). I would, for the most part, agree with your observations thus far Daniel. I've also noticed the change in ID while circling as you mentioned and chalked it up to the target being angled instead of flat to the coil. I'm a old home site, rail site, etc., relic hunter (not too many old parks in the young state of AZ. and I get no joy from digging clad). I dig all repeatable signals above iron and need a machine that can work in iron infested sites. For the type of hunting that I do, the Impact and the other Nokta offerings serve me very well. As I stated, I need to spend more time with it to get to know all of it's ins and outs. I'm really happy that the Impact is capable of updates. I think Nokta will continue to improve things as they receive more input from users. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Dean
May 16, 2017 11:13AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Occas
> ionally I would get a signal that sounded good...r
> eading in the 70s to 80s...and dig it and it total
> ly disappears. As in completely gone. Cant get any
> thing in all metal or with the pinpointer. No iron
> in the hole either.

I'm having a different problem, Daniel, good signals where I just couldn't find the source. Dug deep holes and into the side walls and finally gave up, but the signal was still there and also in pinpoint, but checking with the Garrett pinpointer revealed nothing.
Maddening to be sure; why do they have to sound so-o good? One problem is that iron can read pretty much anywhere. Some of those really good sounding 70s and 80s have been iron. Maybe those "ghost" signals are from iron that we just don't reach with our digging?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 16, 2017 01:24PM
How deep was the hole when you gave up on the target, Wayne? I've done that too and not just with the Impact. As you stated, a large chunk of iron or a can will give good ID even very deep and you still aren't close enough with the Garrett PP to get it. Frustrating!

Dean
May 16, 2017 03:34PM
I know everyone pushed the impact hard but it is just the same ol same ol nothing new that we haven't seen already or have on other detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 03:36PM by GreenMeanie.
May 16, 2017 03:44PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> I know everyone pushed the impact hard but it is j
> ust the same ol same ol nothing new that we haven'
> t seen already or have on other detectors.

The inexperienced hunter may see it that way and that's okay. It takes a lot of work to make the most out of any machine, and most don't feel right coming out of their comfort zone. I used the CTX since it's release and I can tell you this, it's almost neck and neck with the efficiency, operation, and dependability with these machines. There are a few things that the Impact surpasses the CTX.
May 16, 2017 04:08PM
Impact is something new. New mechanical design, choice of three frequencies (one at a time), new programming including new operating modes. These and probably more differences from the Racer make it new.

Is it truly new technology? No. But to classify major changes to the same basic single frequency VLF detector platform as "same ol same ol" is a bit harsh. Just because the latest Corvette doesn't fly or swim underwater is hardly grounds for crying "same ol same ol".

A good case can be made that since 1978 when George Payne brought us the Bounty Hunter Red Baron (the first detector which let us search in a Ground Balance mode AND discriminate unwanted trash at the same time) all subsequent singlefrequency detectors have been "same ol same ol".

I am as eager as anyone to move beyond the capabilities of the technology which has remained the basis of most metal detectors since 1978, but it ain't here yet. It will be soon, but probably not as soon as we would like.

When these are introduced, is, I'm willing to bet a good Globe, AZ mexican lunch that it they won't be ground penetrating radar or any other gee-whiz rocket science. I am convinced that they will be transmit-receive devices operating in a frequency range below 100 kHz. If single frequency, they will utilize new methods of signal generation (ML's GPZ gold detector is an example of this). If multifrequency they will utilize different technology than those currently used by Minelab, Whites or Fisher. On the receive/signal analysis side expect advanced microprocessors and digital signal processors and performing analysis both in the time domain (like PI detectors do) and frequency domain (like current VLF machines do).

I'm sure the Impact will be a good alternative to any current top of the line machine, provided only that it has no significant "teething troubles". These things usually take 6 months or so to start appearing in any numbers, if they occcur.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 05:16PM by lytle78.
May 16, 2017 04:39PM
Another "used" Impact just showed up F/S on Findmall, $850 on this one.
May 16, 2017 05:21PM
Del, There are also 5 Deus machines for sale of the first page, don't know what that means.

Randy
May 16, 2017 07:53PM
iskirkra Wrote:
> Del, There are also 5 Deus machines for sale of
> the first page, don't know what that means.
>
> Randy

Hey Randy----How ya doin?----Hope that back surgery went well & your back is better.------Yeah, the Deus detectors that are up FS might well mean that people are getting sick & tired of waiting for the new version 4 coils (especially that 5X10).
May 16, 2017 08:04PM
Good to hear from you Del, my back is doing better, thanks, getting stronger every day, I may look at a Deus because of the light weight, another few weeks and I'll be ready to ease back in, can't wait
May 16, 2017 09:11PM
He's just trolling through again. Wonder how many hours he spent with one before making that statement?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

May 16, 2017 09:20PM
Did not measure the depth, Dean, but approximately 12 to 14 inches. Depends on soil type and how hot it is <g>.
It's generally 6 to 8 inches deeper than the depth where I usually find my targets. Deep enough to say "enough."
It's tough to stop when the signal sounds as good as they sometimes do, but worthy targets always seem to set off my pinpointers.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC

May 16, 2017 11:40PM
Maybe You Guys are not going to the rite spots with the Impact. That "Hello World" Guy on YouTube gets Silver every time Out. And not very Deep either. Must be a Virgin spot He got as think He's a Newb?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 11:49PM by Harold,ILL..
May 17, 2017 02:13AM
I had a couple of those today, Wayne. Said, "enough" on one when I was a good foot deep and the PP couldn't see it. It was a faint but repeatable signal in the beginning and faded when I raised the coil a few inches so I dug. Must have been a large target. The second time I decided to see what it was no matter how deep...turned out to be the back half of an ax head well beyond 15". Again, large and deep. I was using the large coil looking for deep targets that the small coil may have missed. It didn't miss much. I recovered a .50-70 rim fire case at about 8" in heavy iron. My site is getting stingy.

Dean
May 17, 2017 01:42PM
I am sure not in Salt Water Hunting.
My CTX is the best all around machine I ever had.
And I am far from inexperienced.
But I am not into detector wars I call it like I see it. The minelabs multi freq's was the last real new thing to metal detectors that mattered.

Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I know everyone pushed the impact hard but it is
> j
> > ust the same ol same ol nothing new that we have
> n'
> > t seen already or have on other detectors.
>
> The inexperienced hunter may see it that way and t
> hat's okay. It takes a lot of work to make the mos
> t out of any machine, and most don't feel right co
> ming out of their comfort zone. I used the CTX sin
> ce it's release and I can tell you this, it's almo
> st neck and neck with the efficiency, operation, a
> nd dependability with these machines. There are a
> few things that the Impact surpasses the CTX.
May 17, 2017 01:45PM
Awhile back and I mean awhile ago someone had a post about GOV restrictions on what they can do with metal detectors.
So don't get your hopes up with what can be done with them in the future this is probably all we will ever get.

And I know you can shift freq's on the impact but you could bring in 3 detectors and do the same thing far from ground breaking.

lytle78 Wrote:
> Impact is something new. New mechanical design, c
> hoice of three frequencies (one at a time), new pr
> ogramming including new operating modes. These an
> d probably more differences from the Racer make it
> new.
>
> Is it truly new technology? No. But to classify m
> ajor changes to the same basic single frequency VL
> F detector platform as "same ol same ol" is a bit
> harsh. Just because the latest Corvette doesn't f
> ly or swim underwater is hardly grounds for crying
> "same ol same ol".
>
> A good case can be made that since 1978 when Georg
> e Payne brought us the Bounty Hunter Red Baron (t
> he first detector which let us search in a Ground
> Balance mode AND discriminate unwanted trash at th
> e same time) all subsequent singlefrequency detect
> ors have been "same ol same ol".
>
> I am as eager as anyone to move beyond the capabil
> ities of the technology which has remained the bas
> is of most metal detectors since 1978, but it ain'
> t here yet. It will be soon, but probably not as
> soon as we would like.
>
> When these are introduced, is, I'm willing to bet
> a good Globe, AZ mexican lunch that it they won't
> be ground penetrating radar or any other gee-whiz
> rocket science. I am convinced that they will be
> transmit-receive devices operating in a frequency
> range below 100 kHz. If single frequency, they wi
> ll utilize new methods of signal generation (ML's
> GPZ gold detector is an example of this). If mult
> ifrequency they will utilize different technology
> than those currently used by Minelab, Whites or Fi
> sher. On the receive/signal analysis side expect a
> dvanced microprocessors and digital signal process
> ors and performing analysis both in the time domai
> n (like PI detectors do) and frequency domain (lik
> e current VLF machines do).
>
> I'm sure the Impact will be a good alternative to
> any current top of the line machine, provided only
> that it has no significant "teething troubles". T
> hese things usually take 6 months or so to start a
> ppearing in any numbers, if they occcur.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 01:47PM by GreenMeanie.
May 18, 2017 05:14AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> mascard1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They sound Great.. But there's just something ab
> ou
> > t having...A E-trac with a X-1 Probe in your ha
> nd
> > ..!!!
> > Sorta like some kind of Drug ?
>
>
> It's that Sweet Silver Warble! Even the CTX 3030s
> Don't have it.

You are on to something Harold, though I enjoyed the CTX's warble - close enough!
So, when is Minelab coming out with their light AND well balanced new unit? Been over 4 years now...