Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Meter Mod for Sovereigns

Posted by gravediggermax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Meter Mod for Sovereigns
February 15, 2010 06:01PM
i know many of u have seen this mod. for add on meter. has anyone tried it??

it is now available for the newer GT's now and i kinda like the looks of it

please let me know your thoughts.

thanks

Meter Mod for Sovereigns
February 15, 2010 11:22PM
Nice looking mod - Joe Patrick has a reputation for excellent work. Surprised minelab didn't do something similar years ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Meter Mod for Sovereigns
February 16, 2010 01:14AM
Very nice..........yet.........audio intel is a MUCH better gauge.
Re: Meter Mod for Sovereigns
February 16, 2010 03:04PM
Indeed a nice mod but useless if one mounts the unit under the armcup and most do
to better balance the rather heavy unit and improve ergonomics..
Meter Mod for Sovereigns
February 16, 2010 05:47PM
Joe recommends this be used in the HipMounted configuration to take advantage of the display. Obviously, it isn't for everybody and he's not marketing it that way.

I picked up an older sovereign last fall, but found that it was just too much weight on my shoulder that I had repaired a couple years ago. This mod would have helped get the weight off the search rod, and I inquired to Joe about getting the mod done, but, I already had my preferential search coil with a short cable and a SunRay probe with a shorter cable not able to reach a hipmount without getting an extension cable. I would have had to do a major overhaul of coils and probes to rearrange. $$ Rather than pour more money into that, I decided to go another direction.

The sovereign is kind of a quirky detector. Longtime users swear by them and indicate that a key component of success on land is using a meter in conjuction with the 'sovereign wiggle' to identify deep good targets. The wiggle is just that, a very short wiggle (1") back of forth over the target looking for the repeatable sound. While doing this, you watch the meter for a somewhat solid or climbing meter reading.

Anyway, for some, the meter is a nice alternative to having the big'ole meters already out there.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
True for most, but perfect for me
February 16, 2010 05:51PM
mine is chest mounted