Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Impact relics..And From the field thoughts..

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Impact relics..And From the field thoughts..
June 20, 2017 11:59PM
Few finds from yesterday with Impact..

Deep mode is DEEEEEEEEP!!

I held off on making any final remarks on the Impact till I got a Final version.....wouldn't be quite absolute to make statements about my Proto..I needed to see what the Public got...I feel the Public got a good un..

A true multi tasker..an APEX VLF...can be suited to any site...can meet.exceed alot of demanding desires...Can replace multi units..

Still no salt experience yet and will be the fall before that happens..but if it's like a Racer it should do adequate to better than most for a VLF in the Gulf at least especially with this 5x10 open DD...eye popping smiley

Unmasking is world class and the depth is up there....some of the bullets sounded like on top of the ground yet 8 inches deep or more..this was with the 5x10 Open DD to boot..
One thing that has blown me back was being able in a bed of nails to isolate Buckshot and dig it using 20Khz with THIS coil!!

This coil is going to be your 80% percent use coil....rock steady too...handles mineral very very well..

One thing You will see quick and I believe its slightly different form my Proto...surface targets are quick and zippy deep targets are broader and drawn out..very easy to alert you to deepies on this unit..and yet also very easy to work trash..as the Audio is more refined on the Mak/Nok DNA you may be used to..

At this point I see it as a

F75/T2
MXT
Relic
Racer
AT-PRO

theres a little of or alot of those in here and it's coercing very well

That should paint a picture as they all are quite different and that's the KEY one does many..

Can unmask with small coils as well as a DEUS with 9 inch yet better ID locks and can see some things the DEUS just cant because of coil size..Not saying sell yuor DEUS for site work but I personally feel the Impact is a better all arounder than the DEUS and that's what the DEUS was trying to achieve ..I still feel a GMP is as good as DEUS for site work...

Hopefully Alper will push the This platform further in the future with Multi Freq at once transmission and may some More Mixed mode tweaks..

It's a sturdy unit for sure heavy,, but well balanced and rugged as they come...

Seems at this point with Processing in the Digital world we have arrived at true multi machine replacers in VLF..True Second Decade 21st century machine...

We should start to see other manufacturers offer us single unit Freq selection or even spectrum analysis and Different modes that do something besides simply change disc settings....

Oh yeah! with his new 15.5X14 DD your going to need a shovel!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Impact relics..And From the field thoughts..
June 21, 2017 01:33AM
Glad to see you posting more on the impact keith! Hope you do some videos whenever you get a chance. Your audio videos on the racer series gave me a big step up in learning the language and helped a lot, with me only having limited time to hunt they definitely shortened the learning curve
June 21, 2017 01:49AM
I can't wait to get that open DD coil. Thanks for posting that review,Keith!

Dean
June 21, 2017 02:15AM
Keith, Silly question perhaps. What exactly is your description of the term "SITE WORK " ?? I think I understand but you have on many occasions used this term in reference to specific detectors in use. I would just like to get on the same page with your comments. Is it a general use term or a more defined point of reference ??
June 21, 2017 02:34AM
Good report.When you are rust hunting it takes even more skill. I know Bill Ladd and he goes back to sites and finds all sorts of missed targets because of iron. Once you master that you are going to make a killing on finds in the long run. I need the new coil you are using for my fall hunting will lighten the load a tad and be a bit faster. Yeah I think to even boost sales they need another update

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 21, 2017 02:54AM
In my world the term SITE WORK means trying to find non ferrous in heavy littered ferrous sites...

I may also add this Street Impact is alot more stable than my proto version and has caused me to re-evaluate my Arsenal at this point...Its still sparky but its gain sparky not EMI prone like my Proto...

I can actually run it at about 50 sens and its still a Trump card ...a dime in Di2 on 50 gain is easily heard past a foot...and very quiet..Like all the Mak/Noks high gain adds more volume than actual depth..

Deep mode is slower but still not really slow ((seem's faster than a BP mode on F75 as a gauge)) but its a hoss...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 03:00AM by Keith Southern.
June 21, 2017 04:41AM
There's still very little on the UK forums about the Impact, not sure it got the same push over here, then there was the silly pumped up pricing by the dealers.

It's still all about the Deus, and it's several years old !
June 21, 2017 05:50AM
DEUS is a very good site machine Ghound..And has a great Track record..and super lite...

And yes it has alot to do with Marketing in an area..

One thing for sure we have alot of GREAT choices as of late...

So many choices..

Boils down down to what a person requires and needs at price points to achieve that..

DEUS set the bar high for Unmasking in iron and F75 for depth...the Impact seems to have blended that together ..Not by chance either..if we ever see it running multi freq and think we may see it encroach on a CTX...

Yet a CTX is such a UNIQUE/Proprietary transmission system ...not sure it may happen on a Broad band type setup ..may be a three freq simultaneous or two freq simultaneous like CZ or DFX V3i...

T2-C. is still the best bang for the buck in the market place By the way..

Choices choices..

Thanks for an across the pond report!!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 21, 2017 06:39AM
Yep we're spoilt with choices, i like my Deus but personally i think the Rutus Alter is a better machine, especially around modern junk, you should give one a try, it seems to be an expansion of the Deus platform with similar reactivity - silencer settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2017 08:09AM by ghound.
June 21, 2017 09:42AM
Running Multi frequency as an option and water proof would have sent this detector into the stratosphere. Oh well the next model maybe? I was shopping for a dirt detector. The availability of sites come and go with me. So when I am in site drought I sell off my dirt hunters and pick up something new down the road. My Impact is on it's way to me now. It reminded me of the F75 in the many videos I watched. Darnell with his Hello World videos showed some deep targets being hit quite easily and that really helped me decide. Well that and the fact that Garrett has delayed the new detector release. I hunt old farms around my area. Polluted with iron farms. I really think I'll enjoy the Impact.
June 21, 2017 12:32PM
Cool beans Keith

nice carved lead piece.

Funny how that dirt of yours soaks into the targets and gives them a reddish/orangish tint!
June 21, 2017 12:53PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool beans Keith
>
> nice carved lead piece.
>
> Funny how that dirt of yours soaks into the target
> s and gives them a reddish/orangish tint!

That's the clay and the iron molecules stickin to it!
June 22, 2017 06:13PM
Thanks for the Impact update Keith. I wouldn't mind if the new 10" DD coil was a closed loop coil, those open ones get tangled up easily around sage brush smiling smiley

If the DEEP mode is as fast as BP mode on the F75 LTD, that's good news as it was fairly slow on the Racer2 IMHO. I made good use of the DEEP mode on the R2 at a demo site last year and found that while hunting dirt piles (pipe trenching piles at an 1850's park renovation) that the DEEP mode wasn't really deeper, but it would bring in those fringe signals better. I don't think the R2 DEEP mode hears anything that say the DI3 mode doesn't (give similar settings), but it enhances and cleans up the audio and visual target ID.
June 23, 2017 04:10PM
I just saw that Kellyco had the two new coils available as "in stock" on their website. I bought the big 15.5x14. Since the build of the Impact is so close to the CTX, I figure the Minelab harness will work just as good on it with the large coil. I can swing the 17" CTX coil all day with the harness. So I'm looking forward to seeing what the big coil does for the Impact.

I let a friend of mine borrow the Impact last week. He has been trying to decide on a new machine. He had the T2 with boost and DST but did not like it and sold it. He took the Impact to a civil war camp of his on Monday and found 18 drop minie balls and a bunch of camp lead. He was extremely happy cause he said he had hunted this same spot a couple weeks prior with his T2 and just found 2 drops.
June 27, 2017 12:37PM
Cal_cobra
I wouldn't mind if the new 10" DD coil was a closed loop coil, those open ones get tangled up easily around sage brush smiling smiley
Brian, I have now been out several times to some old stubble fields as well as a couple of sagebrush covered ghost working my Impact with the new 5X9½ open-frame DD coil and I haven't had any issues .. yet .. with snagging or hang-ups on brush. In low-to-modest trashy areas it is working splendidly.

Cal_cobra
If the DEEP mode ... was fairly slow on the Racer2 IMHO. I made good use of the DEEP mode on the R2 at a demo site last year and found that while hunting dirt piles (pipe trenching piles at an 1850's park renovation) that the DEEP mode wasn't really deeper, but it would bring in those fringe signals better.
The heat chased me home about 2PM this afternoon, but I spend today since about 6 AM exclusively working the Racer 2 against the Impact using same-size search coils as I case evaluating headphones as well as doing some search mode comparison with them using ONLY 'Di2,' 'Di3' and 'Deep' search mode choices. I was working a dedicated section I had marked off at an old CCC and WW-II Japanese Internment camp that I had pretty well scoured this past couple of weeks. I knew targets would be few, even if just tiny pieces of discards, but my goal was to compare 'depth-of-detection' and signal response/clarity between there modes.

*By design* the 'Deep' mode used with BOTH he Racer 2 and Impact are designed to perform best with a slower sweep speed.

Racer 2 User Manual:
Different than the other discrimination modes, this mode requires a slower swing speed. DEEP mode is similar to Two Tone in characteristics but offers a slower detection speed.

Impact User Manual:
While searching in this mode, a slower swing speed is required. The discrimination ability of the DEEP mode is relatively less compared to the other modes. Hence, its performance may vary on trashy sites versus clean ones.

I've found the 'DEEP' mode to produce slightly better depth, or even notably better depth, in different highly mineralized ground environments. Note this comment from the racer 2 manual where it says:
"... but offers a slower detection speed."
in other words, the implication is that we can usually get better depth in Di2 than in Di3, which is by design and they state that clearly. Yet in some instances, challenging ground mineral make-up can be more difficult for the already very quick-response modes to handle and process well. To enhance the detector's abilities to better process the ground signal and pass along a target signal, we can 'take up their off' to use the 'DEEP' mode at a somewhat slower sweep speed.

Let's not confuse "slower sweep' however with many of the models from some detector makers that are designed to be dedicated slow-sweep operation and can not work well in more mineralized ground with a faster sweep speed. They can't usually work quite like the CoRe, Relic, Impact, Racer or Racer 2 in their Di2 search modes, and even Di3 can allow a faster sweep in ugly ground environments than many of the very controlled slow-motion detectors. The Racer 2 and Nokta Relic and Impact allow us to employ the 'DEEP' mode when we desire, and it does permit a lower sweep speed. Not a crawling sweep or anything like some slow-sweep competitive models, but more like a slightly slowed-down 'normal' sweep speed.

Of course I can get myself in trouble with that comment because someone might ask "just what is a 'normal' sweep speed" and that would get into a completely different discussion.eye rolling smiley For ME a 'normal' sweep speed is usually going to be a slow and methodical, side-to-side sweep of about 24"-36" across a relatively straight line because I hunt very littered sites, heavy with ferrous debris, and I am doing my best to unmask desirable targets. I work slowly and have for many, many decades, and the days of fast-motion scurrying across wide-open grassy parks hasn't really happened since about 1982, and even then it was when I stepped away from more trashy sites for a change of pace Coin Hunting.

Cal_cobra
I don't think the R2 DEEP mode hears anything that say the DI3 mode doesn't (give similar settings), but it enhances and cleans up the audio and visual target ID.
In general, and it will vary based upon the ground mineral environment, the coil used, and the settings used, ... Di3's more 'processed' audio response gets slightly less depth than is achievable in Di2, and DEEP mode can gain us slightly better depth than Di2 mode. Between Di 3 and DEEP I have hunted up targets that were ½" to 1½" deeper using the DEEP mode that were just un hearable in Di3.

Because of this potential, you are correct in noting that on some deeper, fringe-signal finds opting for DEEP can enhance those marginal signals. Just one of the benefits we can employ by having the DEEP mode available on the Relic and especially the Racer 2 and Impact. Okay, now I'm off again, a few minutes tardy as it's 6:35 AM and I want to get a couple3 more hours in before the4 heat returns.

No 'testing' today, just working the Impact & 5X9½ DD in for mowed-down weedy patches.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***