Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Stay away from Photobucket..angry smiley

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Stay away from Photobucket..angry smiley
July 01, 2017 03:36AM
Seems they decided you cant link to third party sites without paying $39.00 A MONTH!!!

I hate that!! they had a clean app for Android...

Trying a couple others right now but not fond of the apps for the phone they are using..

I have tons of Pics in limbo NOWangry smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 03:57AM by Keith Southern.
Re: Stay away from Photobucket..angry smiley
July 01, 2017 07:14AM
Have never used Photobucket but many folks around the planet have started complaining about it,one possible solution if you are say a detecting club with many user is buy one account and then give say a few folks access to the password to the account for a small fee.

These top photo image sites are not cheap to run because of the multi servers that are required and they basically use advertising like Google etc to survive,but then folks are also starting to use 'adblockers' so these adverts dont show up.hence the need to start charging folks albeit that appears a real crazy price and they could well be shooting themselves in the foot.But they do have the trump card i guess by not giving you access to your previous images without payment which is like holding you to Ransom.
July 01, 2017 08:17AM
Yes, and quality of this platform is terrible. Slow, slow and slow. I really don't like it. Keith, buy My Cloud and store your files at home.
July 01, 2017 09:57AM
I found this spoof pic on another forum discussion:

A few years ago, I used to have a few pics stored on imageshack.us, until they started charging for their free hosting. I closed the account.

One of the obvious alternatives sites, imgur, seems to be getting critical comments, too. Talk about data mining, more ads, etc, gotta wonder if they'll be the next to implement restrictions/fees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 10:00AM by Pimento.
July 01, 2017 11:06AM
Might want to try Flickr https://www.flickr.com/

I haven't had any problems with Photobucket but, then only use it on my desktop PC. I don't have a cellphone with an app.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 01, 2017 12:06PM
I wish that posting pictures on this site was easier. I would definitely share pictures of some of my finds with you guys.
July 01, 2017 12:51PM
I just got an email from the JFK Assination forums and all the pictures
on their site are now blurred and garbled ( those who used photobucket)
He recommended using Flickr and they have 1 terabyte free streaming photos.
July 01, 2017 01:00PM
I don't use apple stuff mostly, so for offsite storage, I use iCloud -

For posting on forums which, like this one, don't offer their own hosting of images, I use Postimage. It offers an easy process to post your image to them and an easymmenu for getting the link to past into your forum post. I don't post anything much beyond pics of detectors, so the fact that I am granting them a license to ise the image any way they want doesn't bother me. You might find that a problem however. Anyway, here's the link.

[postimage.io]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
July 01, 2017 03:40PM
I would like to host the images on THIS site , BUT, a few months ago I ran over my 100 gigabytes of allotted bandwidth WITHOUT hosting images. I'm trying to figure out how this site runs through over three gigs of bandwidth a day when most of what loads is only data (text) a few recurring images (header images) and the Phorum template (not much bytes there) with only about 4 thousand page views a day (?). I hope folks aren't using add blocker software because besides selling videos (which when competing with YouTube videos greatly affects sales) ads are the only thing barely keeping this site going.
July 01, 2017 03:46PM
soo much junk now ..stay away
July 01, 2017 03:54PM
Wally: The html for the page is just 50K ....but the two Epiphany training ads are 100K each. The Real World/swimming hole advert is 125K. Change them to .jpg, or make the epiphany ads mostly text. They could be 20K each, I've just made the Real world one into a 30K jpg and it looked fine, it could be smaller. The main banner is 30K, not too bad, but could be smaller?.
Also, does anyone view this page?:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
It seems rather redundant, but maybe some folks clumsily get to the forum via that page...in which case the ads could be removed from that page?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 04:06PM by Pimento.
July 01, 2017 04:01PM
Hungarian
I just got an email from the JFK Assination forums and all the pictures
on their site are now blurred and garbled ( those who used photobucket)
He recommended using Flickr and they have 1 terabyte free streaming photos.

Szervusz Hungarian, Jó reggelt a barátom, hogy vagy

I have been using "Flickr" for the photos I have posted here.

"But", I have to edit the html to shed the advertising they attach.

Here is a lesson on hows it's done.......

Example:
This is the BB Code, the share option I use here.

Do you see the advertising?

Cut only the photo information and delete the rest.

Like this......

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6827903355_80967d4210.jpg

You get this........

If you don't edit the code, you get this........
(you do have to cut the front, so the code starts with https)

[/url]Vizsla by IXQUICK, on Flickr[/img]

So, Hungarian,..... mit csinálsz?

SandMan
July 01, 2017 05:07PM
Why do You need Photobucket on this site and Others Forums You don't? I don't get it as Super easy on Findmall and even Compass forum?
July 01, 2017 05:24PM
fwiw, I've used tinypic.com for years with no issues or payment.
July 01, 2017 05:28PM
Harold. It's nothing to do with how easy or not it is.

If the forum hosts a picture, what it means is:
*The picture takes up space on Tom/Wally's hard drive. That costs them money.
* When anyone views that picture, it has to be transferred from Tom/Wally's computer through the interwebs to Your computer. That costs them money. Each kilobyte of data that goes through their server/the Web costs money.
*If lots of people look at lots of pictures, things get s.l.ooooo.w. So Tom/Wally have to pay for faster servers with faster connections to the web. That costs them money.

If you store your pictures on an image-hosting website, or your own bit of server space, none of the above happens. All you add to Toms burden is a few tiny bytes of info stating where the picture is located, that's it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2017 05:30PM by Pimento.
July 01, 2017 05:30PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fwiw, I've used tinypic.com for years with no issu
> es or payment.

Which is ironic in that tinypic.com is actually owned and operated by Photobucket.com.
July 01, 2017 05:44PM
Harold, it depends on how much storage a forum has.

Some forums are huge, and use expensive software, (vbulletin, etc.), they shell out money to have
lots of storage, and bells an whistles.

Smaller forums don't have that kind of storage. So images are displayed there, but hosted else where.

Big forums often have the option for members to have photo albums.
A member can then host from their own album when they post.
A note about friendly forum,.... I have some pictures in albums there.
I tried to host from there and post here, didn't work.
They have blocked external linking, you can't use your albums and host your photos to post elsewhere.

I suggest going with a large photo hosting site that has free service and is easy to use.
Flickr is huge, free, owned by Yahoo.
DeviantArt is huge, free, used mostly by artist but all are welcome, "huge storage".

Go with a place that won't "flop"
I had a fair bit of photos hosted on a little known site in the Netherlands.
It was clean, very nicely laid out,....... it went belly up....and I lost all those photos.

SandMan
July 01, 2017 08:46PM
Funny Didn't think the Little Compass Forum was huge?
July 01, 2017 10:16PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Funny Didn't think the Little Compass Forum was hu
> ge?

The tiny little Compass Forum isn't a 'stand-alone' forum.
It's part of a huge forum host called Nabble.com, that hosts thousands of free, ad supported forums.
July 01, 2017 11:25PM
I'm surprised they don't demand the payment in Bitcoin, like the ransomware purveyors do.....
July 02, 2017 12:24AM
Pimento,

Thank you for this enlightening information, it makes better sense now and the math seems to add up. I should pay you a consultant fee. I never really though about the epiphany training adds as being so bandwidth hungry. When the site had fewer page views, it didn't matter. but with the 'growing pains', I need to re-assess images and not just take it for granted. I SHOULD have did what YOU did and really look at the parts and sum it all up and realize the page images are the problem.

Again, Thank You.

Wally
July 02, 2017 12:54AM
Pimento,

I just made the changes you recommended and saved 310K of bandwidth per forum page download! This makes the page load faster for users and saves 1.2 GIG of bandwidth per day (at 4,000 page views per day. Now I know why I should have paid more attention in math class...
July 02, 2017 09:14AM
Glad to be of help, Wally.
The remaining large file is the javascript.php file, at 208K. This is where I'm out of my depth....the file seems to contain a text 'instruction manual' , ie. a part of that 208K is redundant to the function. I'm sure with the appropriate editor and know-how, it could be trimmed down by 20%. It typically plays a small part in the page operation, considering its size.....stuff like smiley options, and making the 3rd party ads appear.
Update: I've viewed the php file with Firefox, so it displays properly, and this line caught my attention:
"This code should be minified before deployment. See [javascript.crockford.com];

Maybe it can be 'cleaned up' automatically? Something called a Tokeniser seems to do this function. I guess you need to keep the original php file, so you can modify it properly any time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2017 09:49AM by Pimento.
July 02, 2017 01:17PM
+1 for flickr
July 02, 2017 04:10PM
Wow! This thread has become very informative on the "Man behind the Curtain" and how forums function! Thanks to all!
July 02, 2017 08:19PM
Ron,

I almost feel that I 'hijacked' this thread, but, I would say it 'evolved' from third party image hosts to why some sites don't host images themselves to the problems of the clunky site I administer to a hero (Pimento) who explains it all and saves the day. I love this forum...
July 03, 2017 02:12AM
wildwally1 Wrote:
> Ron,
>
> I almost feel that I 'hijacked' this thread,
> but, I would say it 'evolved' from third party ima
> ge hosts to why some sites don't host images thems
> elves to the problems of the clunky site I adminis
> ter to a hero (Pimento) who explains it all and sa
> ves the day. I love this forum...

No hijack Wally! We all learn from each other!!
July 03, 2017 04:57PM
Wally if any one has a right to hijack a thread, you do! But I agree it is an evolution on topic and not a hijack at all. Thank you for the insight to the inner workings of my prime forum.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 07, 2017 09:48PM
Just got my notice from photobucket they will disable my pictures unless I pay 3rd party ransom each month.
Guess I am out of there, no more uploading.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 07, 2017 11:28PM
Sven1 Wrote:
> Just got my notice from photobucket they will disa
> ble my pictures unless I pay 3rd party ransom eac
> h month.
> Guess I am out of there, no more uploading.

I just got it too angry smiley