Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone use the Minelab 12x10 SEF coil

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone use the Minelab 12x10 SEF coil
July 11, 2017 06:40PM
Pro's and cons appreciated..Not what you heard ....looking for actual use of coil.....
Re: Anyone use the Minelab 12x10 SEF coil
July 11, 2017 06:43PM
If you decide to buy one, I have a couple of nice ones that I'd like to sell. Sorry for the advertisement, lol.
July 11, 2017 07:31PM
It's a lot Heavier than the Pro coil. I know that Much.
July 11, 2017 07:42PM
"I remember testing it when it was sent to assess before it's introduction (seems they wanted the seal of approval)
On a direct one on one all day test, running two ET's, at day's end the SEF [ indicated 2 targets positively ] the stock 11" coil was 'iffy' on!
The E Trac's own coil [ was more stable ] at higher sensivities on wet salt sand.
The SEF was much slower to swing and therefore heavier on the wrist. In fact, some said, 'they were getting things missed on ground already covered with the stock coil! They probably did because the SEF was so heavy they had to slow their sweep speed down!'
But, in it's favor was more ground footprint scanning.
Overall, I wasn't impressed and despite having the coil available to use, I didn't!
I valued my good wrist and didn't want it worn out prematurely!

OK you say, I gave it a one day test.
Bear in mind my full time job was to test gear from 9 - 5 (8 - 11 in reality) all day every day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2017 07:44PM by Des D.
July 12, 2017 02:01AM
My favorite FBS coil. Other than weight its the best all around for depth/seperation/stability.
July 12, 2017 10:52AM
I had one for my SE Pro and preferred it in my soil over the stock coil. It's separation and depth in my soil seemed to outperform the pro coil. It is heavy but I only used my SE pro as much as my 12 other detectors so wasn't my only detector used day after day. My soil is highly mineralized with patches of alkali spread out all over that shut machines down.
July 12, 2017 11:44AM
I bought them when I was running the Sovereign GT and the Etrac, To be honest I found they restrict the amount of Gain you can use on the GT because they are bigger than the standard coil, with the GT Nulling out all the time even with the standard 10" BBS coil the SEF made it worse and lack the sensitivity to tiny bits,

Where as fit an SEF on to a Whites the lack of sensitivity of the SEF to tiny targets seems to help the MXT actually see deeper in to Hot ground conditions reducing the ground noise where Whites Coils at the same location can appear a little bit too Hot for Red Dirt,

On a Whites they are worth having, because you can Max the Gain while still picking up those deep finds while keeping ground noise to a minimum, I actually run Whites Coils and Detech Coils on my Whites machines, But I gave away all the SEF Coils for my Minelabs and bought Coiltek Coils in stead, Remembering that Coiltek use to make all Minelabs Coils at one time or another and more important Coiltek are the only Coil Company who have Minelabs Tune up Specs for their machine and those facts and figure were obtained from Minelab and not through reverse engineering,

SEF Coils work well on some machines yet not others so if you are running a Hot machine then they can be a great help but on FBS and BBS machines there are better options out there, Also SEF coils also stop your machine from falling over, which is really good as well.

John.
July 12, 2017 03:10PM
Call Me old school , But I still prefer the Sunray X12, X8 Coils for My Deep Coin hunting.
The Sunray X8 Being My all time fave on the Etrac. It's a full 8" and less than a LB. Balances perfect on end of rod. And Depth is close to Pro coil with better seperation, in My ground.
July 12, 2017 10:43PM
Thanks guys....don't have a unit to use on...but info for friend....heavy as Explorers are agree with Des and Harold........
July 13, 2017 11:30AM
YOu ment Kelleyco SEF for the minelab machines or does ML make one too? I got the explorer when they came with that crappy slimline coil. We all switched over to the SEF when they came out .... huge difference. The ML Exp II coils were going at a high price because of the slimline. Then it all changed with the Pro coil. The pro coil might... i say might be a bit more sensitive to tiny targets..... but for the price difference i like the SEF. Great coils.

Dew