Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

will the G2 be the heater for me ??

Posted by gravediggermax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
will the G2 be the heater for me ??
October 30, 2010 11:52PM
Let me fill u in why I wanted the G2.
1)…at pro has not been released yet – have one on order since knowledge of it.
2)…I am looking for a light weight beach machine and can pick up and go……..hunt dry if I want, damp if I want, dirt/woods (button zone for me) and shallow water………..with a screen……………..never liked screens until I got the etrac and f75.
In my quest for this one detector I have tried many, probably like many of us have done over the years.
3 sovereigns, several excels, expII, etrac, 2-f75’s, Cibola, silver umax, compadre and se pro. We all know the minelabs will cover all my needs, but none are light when mounted like I have had them. F75 was the best dirt heater I have used, etrac 2nd, new se pro has never been in the woods yet, but I know it will be fine…..both expII and now se pro are waterproofed in a box or a bag and do just great……bag model I can see and use the screen……..
Tesoro’s worked great – light, but poor in the damp and waters edge as was the f75.
Now out comes the G2….sounds like the ticket….hard to find one, but I did and for the last several days it has proven to be a fine little heater. I can go from dry to damp and into the water and it runs as smooth as any heater I have ever used (saltwater)……………I am happy……………….
In the next few days I will try and do some depth testing against my se pro and hopefully my buddies new one and anyone else I run into while on the beach, last 3 trips I have not see 1 hunter.
Monte made a great post yesterday on the net, very detailed.
More to follow
On a note: Tesoro compadre……for the dry zone here in va beach………..the best, the best bottle cap discriminator I have ever used………..this heater may lack some depth, but she can cook.

<"))))><(
Re: will the G2 be the heater for me ??
October 31, 2010 01:32PM
When/If I acquire a G2; I'll run a very definative/comprehensive report on the unit.............and will expose it to many different types of hunting scenarios. Same holds true for the Garrett AT Pro.

Will adivse.
Re: will the G2 be the heater for me ??
October 31, 2010 08:49PM
thanks max!!! i hope it is ok to post someone elses g2 review here as well ? ..............

"This Teknetics Forum is a great place to hang out and learn about all of their models and how to work them to our benefit for the types of detecting we do. That's good.

The greatest number of metal detecting hobbyists fall into the range of 'average' or 'typical' or 'traditional' coin hunters, so this Teknetics Forum will certainly help them because most coin hunting is done using the motion Discriminate mode and folks here are helpful. That is good.

Certainly a fair share of the very avid detectorists who spend ample time in non-urban environments seeking left-overs from old military battles or ghosted town sites or other such sites are considered devoted relic hunters. Most tend to use very low Discriminate settings, and often do not pay as much attention to their visual Target ID, but they post their finds and stories about their settings and success. That is good.

There is one thing we seldom hear discussed much on forums like this, and another topic that seems to be over-touted, in my opinion. We don't hear too much talk about searching in the All Metal mode, which is something associated with gold nugget hunters, but also a great method to search for many serious detectorists. Usually relic hunters, but occasionally coin hunters, can use this method of search. That's not a frequent subject on the forum. There is one thing that seems to pop up all too often, either in great claims or a topic of discussion, and that is depth. Depth, depth depth!

Sure, there are times when I would like to get a little better depth at some sites, but all too often the cries for 'more depth' seem to come from people who are looking for good targets located under shallower and undesired trash. The target masking calls for the trash to be removed from the site to better expose desired targets because trying to get 'depth' under typical junk like nails or bottle caps or screw caps is not going to happen. Also, too many situations are where there just aren't likely to be any deeper coins at a site. They are cleans of shallow rubbish, and most coins have already been found at very popular detected site. Lets face it, those of us who got an early start in the sport were rewarded for all the time we put in thinning out the silver and other older coins. In most popular sites, which have been cleaned of masking junk, there usually isn't any benefit for 'depth' because there's nothing there.

I mention these things because I have a solid opinion about them based on the fact that I am in my 46th year of detecting, I am a very active, avid detectorist, I have enjoyed great success in many US states, but mainly 'Out West', and I like to have more than one detector n my personal arsenal, with a good search coil selection, so that I am best fitted for a number of different challenges I face. Urban 'Coin hunting' or rural 'Relic Hunting,' or visiting Gold Nugget bearing sites in mountains or desert, calls for a mixed set of needs and wants. I was ready to evaluate the new G2 because I knew there was a potential that it might be what I was looking for.

I got a prototype G2 and I'm now working on the 3rd 9-volt battery in just 16 days. Knowing how well these light and handy Teknetics models can operate on a single 9-volt, you can imagine the amount of time I put in with long days of hunting, occasionally starting early or working just into the dark at times. So, there's the time I have devoted so far, but what types of sites have I hunted?

I live on the west end of the Portland, Oregon metro area and there are three old home sites I have been working with my Omega, mainly, and also the T2. Two are vacant lots where the old homes were razed long ago, and the third site has a 1900 home on it that will be restored, but the new owner has been clearing the double lot in preparation of moving the house to the other side then restoring it. The trouble with all three of these sites is that there is a lot of shallow junk. Not everywhere, but in some sections it is terrible. So I have those three old home sites to hunt.

To my list of favorite places where I still pull silver and other early version coins, like Buffalo and 'V' nickels and Indian Heads cents to compliment the silver, there are four early-use city parks in Portland, one about 289± acres, that continue to kick out desired coins. In the last dozen years I am still pulling the occasional Morgan dollar and periodic Seated Liberty, plus silver and others from the 1890 to 1945 period. Most good stuff doesn't come for the open areas that are easily (and frequently) searched, but from out of the way or fringe areas that have been overgrown for many decades. I always keep an eye open for any sidewalk or other renovation and have lucked upon two or three such sites, one with a dense scattering of iron nails.

In recent years I have used many competitive models, and with good success, such as the White's MXT and XL Pro and XLT and Classic IDX Pro's. A Garrett GTAx 1250 and GTP 1350, Minelab X-Terra 70 and two Explorers, Fisher Gold Bug SE, and Tesoro Bandido, Bandido II µMAX, and Vaquero, plus a Diablo µMAX which was mainly used on our nasty big river beaches. These have been used in these and other popularly worked places. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector, especially if you hunt a wide variety of sites, so I like to keep a few models on hand in my personal detector battery to be prepared.

I wasn't going to work the G2 alone without comparison, or only with the stock coil. To me, that would be too slanted and biased, and besides, I wanted to know just how good it was, or wasn't, to see if it might work for me full-time. So, I set out to work it hard and burn through batteries taking along my T2 w/11" BiAxial coil, my Omega with the stock elliptical 10" concentric coil and round 5" DD mounted on a spare lower rod, as well as borrowing the lower rod and round 8" concentric coil off the Delta. I also used one White's model and one Tesoro just for little close-quarters testing and such.

I am certain, at this point, that the first question you might have is why I took the two concentric coils when we have read that the G2 and Gold Bugs were designed to use the Double-D designs. I've read those comments in advance as well, but I like to know what works and doesn't work for me, and one way to find out is prove or disprove their strengths. For those who dont know me or follow much of what I post through the years, I am quite partial to smaller-than-stock coils, most of the time, and I also appreciate a light weight detector, and coils that are not nose-heavy by design. So, for my initial start-up, I decided to work the G2 with the stock 11" BiAxial Double-D coil, then swap coils at different sites to see which was the best 'fit' for me and the applications I might have for it.

Search Coil Performance on the G2: I usually don't like to use the word 'perfect' in these cases but that is just the word to describe how the Teknetics G2 performed with every search coil. Double-D or Concentric, this detector worked quite well. Ground Balancing in All Metal was no problem with any coil. Ground Grab and manual GB, all worked perfect in a variety of sites. All of them, by the way, produce 1, 2, or 3 Fe3O4 bars on the Omega and also on other models.

VDI Read-Out for US Coins: Once again, I was beyond impressed, and I am including ALL of the 4 search coils available! In the motion Discriminate mode I used everything I had available, both in an "air test" or sat on the ground, or located in a search as was naturally buried. These included the US silver 3¢, 5¢, Indian Head and Zinc and good Copper 1¢, clad and silver 10¢, clad and silver 25¢, clad and silver 50¢, and the modern $1 as well as a silver $1. Not only did they lock and register well if within the G2's detection range, but the VDI number 'lock-on' was, in my opinion, more tight and accurate than my personal Omega was.

Variably Adjusted Range of Accepted Tone and/or Rejection: This one isn't all that easy to explain to the newcomer, and even I took a bit to get used to what I did and didn't like about a setting. In short it works kind of like this. The upper display spans a range of 0-to-100 from left to right. The '40' reading is larger than the other 10-step read-outs for a good reason. Generally, targets that respond in the 0 to 40 range are Iron (Ferrous) metals, and those that have a VDI above '40' are Non-Iron (Non-ferrous) targets. That part is simple.

When you turn the G2 On in the Discriminate mode, ALL of the upper range is briefly displayed with a dark black band. Everything , and that means all targets, Iron and Non-Iron, will respond and produce a higher VCO audio response. There is no rejection and only a dedicated great audio hit.

If you increase the Discrimination level to a setting of '80,' then everything that would normally produce a VDI response less than that is rejected. No sound at all, just rejected, and everything that has an '80' or higher VDI will also fall in a black colored zone you see during that Disc. setting, and will produce the Higher tone VCO audio response. So, you can accept EVERYTHING or accept ONLY HIGH-READING VDI's from '80' up, and there will only be one single audio response which is the higher tone VCO audio.

No we can get into the variable Discriminate setting you choose between those two settings of '0' and '80.' This will allow the user to have some adjustment control over a lower Iron Audio Tone and the higher VCO audio response, and after a setting of '40' in will start to include some target rejection range as well. I enjoy this adjustment function and learned how to tailor it for the particular sites I was hunting. Often I search where everything is accepted (all metals) and with the Omega or Gamma or T2 I can simply opt for a d2 or 2+ Audio Tone and it will give a lower bass tone on Iron targets. The G2 lets me adjust that a little differently as follows:

With a Discriminate setting of '0', EVERY target gives the VCO audio response.

With a Discriminate setting up to '40', everything at/below that setting is displayed with a grey shaded zone, and above with the black colored zone. Thus Iron responds with a lower audio tone and VDI readings above with the VCO audio.

Let's say I want to hear all targets present, both Iron and Non-Iron, but want to audibly hear nails and lower-reading targets only with a lower audio response. Perhaps those targets at a site produce a VDI read-out of maybe 21-23. If I increase the Discriminate setting to about 24-25, then all lower-reading VDI's will produce the lower audio tone, and targets with a VDI above '25' will have the desired VCO audio response. Yes, that means you can adjust the 'tone-break' so that some lower-reading Iron gives the low-tone audio, but some Iron (which you might want to find) and Non-Iron will report with the VCO high tone audio. Note that there is no target rejection as long as the Discriminate level is set at '40' or lower. There is only a division between the lower audio response and the higher VCO audio.

An abundance of lower-conductive trash at a site might push you to the point of target rejection. That, too, is easily adjusted with the - and + key-pads. If I have a bunch of those 21-23 VDI reading targets present and just don't want to hear them, I can use the + key-pad and increase the Discriminate level while viewing the VDI scale above. If I take it up to the point where the left side of the shaded grey scale is at about '24,' then all lower VDI reading targets are rejected.

Take note than when you have a Discriminate setting of '40' all targets above that are in a black band (higher VCO audio range) and everything below '40 is grey shaded, and there is no rejection. This will display the largest amount of grey-shade area, which would include all Iron. As the Discriminate level is increased above the '40' setting, all targets above that will produce the VCO audio, and you will start to see the shaded grey band start to shrink proportionate to the increased Disc. setting. Also, one you adjust above '40,' the lowest VDI numbers starting at '0' will progressively be discriminated or rejected.

Following this Disc. adjustment, you might increase to a Discriminate setting of '54' and almost all US 5¢ coins (VDI ± 57) will produce a VCO high tone, targets below '54', including some Non-Ferrous targets will fall into the low-tone audio range (shaded grey scale) and lower-reading targets will be rejected.

As the Discriminate setting gets closer to only accepting the high-conductive US coins, the shaded grey scale is quickly diminishing so that at a setting of '80,' as mentioned earlier, you have the greatest amount of rejection, NO shaded zone with a lower audio, and ONLY the higher VCO audio on accepted high-conductive targets.

If all this confused you, that's good because it means you've tried to make sense of what I am explaining, and maybe realizing that the Discriminate adjustment and the potential for only a VCO audio or a low-tone and VCO audio or target rejection and low-tone audio and higher VCO audio as well as a lot of rejection and only VCO audio, are able to be set up as the operator desires. With practice, and I mean worming a lot of sites, several quite trashy, and burning through 2+ batteries, I was able to determine that the flexibility suits me quite nicely for many sites I like to hunt. Therefore, only you, the operator, will know if it's something you like or not once you have ample experience with it.

All Metal Mode's Threshold Setting: This is an excellent adjustment function that allows smooth fine-tuning. It spans a range from -40 to +40 (displayed in the lower right corner), and depending upon the EMI at a few sites or the nearby traffic and noise, I usually used a Threshold setting anywhere from +2 to +8 or +10, and that was with my Killer B Wasp or SunRay Pro Gold headphones.

Uncluttered Control Panel: Part of the beauty of the Teknetics G2 is the simple control panel that features two (2) knobs and three (3) touch pads. That's it! The ranges of use of these controls are as follows:

On the left side is the Power/Gain control. This turns the G2 On and Off. In the Discriminate mode is functions as the Sensitivity control with a range from 1 to 100. If you're in the All Metal mode, it serves as the Gain control and ranging from 5 to 100 in steps of 5.

On the right side of the display is the Mode selector which put you in the Discriminate mode when turned fully counter-clockwise to the clicked position. Once you click out of that and turn the control clockwise, you are in the All Metal mode and adjusting the Threshold level from -40 to +40.

Between the knobs are three touch pads. One in the top-center is used to activate the automated Ground Grab when you are in the All Metal mode and bob the search coil. If you are searching in the Discriminate mode, that touch-pad then serves as the Pinpoint activate button.

All that remains are two arrow-shaped touch-pads. The one pointing left is marked with a - sign, and the arrow touch-pad pointing to the right has a + mark. In the Discriminate mode they are used to adjust the Discriminate range from 0 to 80, and when in the All Metal mode they are the manual GB controls that span a range from 1 to 99.9

Basic Informative Display: As simple as the control panel is, the display is equally pleasant and easy-to-see. There is the 0 to 100 arc across the top of the display. In the Disc. mode youll have a momentary black or shaded range displayed based on the Discriminate level adjustment. In both the All Metal and Discriminate mode, upon a targets detection, you will see three (3) segments illuminate over the arc to correlate the VDI read-out.

In the center of the display will be a larger, 2-digit number. In the Discriminate mode, this will be the target VDI read-out. In the All metal mode, it is a display of the Ground Phase based ion info processed during the search coil sweep. In All Metal you can glance at this Ground Phase reading and compare it with your Ground Balance setting (lower right) and if they are notably different, it alerts you to check and adjust the Ground Balance.

On the left side of the display of seven (7) bars, narrow at the bottom and wider at the top. These function in the Discriminate mode as an indication of the Signal Strength. In the All Metal mode they display the amount of Fe3O4 (iron oxide) in the ground and is a measurement of the amount of mineralization in the ground.

On the right side of the display is a numeric read-out for the Discriminate mode that shows the discriminate level in a 2-digit format. In the All Metal mode it shows the Ground Balance setting in a 3-digit display. The default Ground Balance setting is 82.9 and while the Ground Phase is displayed in the center as a 2-digit number, the actual Ground Balance is 3 numbers (with the decimal point).

General Overview of the G2 Performance for Me: The Teknetics G2, like the Fisher Gold Bug, is really directed toward the gold nugget hunter or anyone who likes to hunt in the threshold-based All Metal mode. I like that because I often do, and the detector is light, handy, easy to adjust, and is an excellent performing unit in this mode. Best mode for depth of detection, as it usually is with most detectors.

As a higher frequency detector (19 kHz) I didn't expect it to be the deepest-seeking mode in the Discriminate mode, or show the best performance with higher-conductive targets. Those expectations held true. Overall, I could get a little better depth, especially on silver coins and big copper coins/target using the T2 or Omega or Gamma. The G2, again as expected, did perform better on the lower-conductive coins, such as the US 5¢, and the women's gold ring I located.

Use of the G2 will be different from many detectors that the 'average' coin hunter or relic hunter uses due in part to the detection based on the frequency and target make-up, but also because the operating 'process' Teknetics used in this mode is different. It does a better job on depth and detecting in 'average conditions' with a somewhat brisker sweep speed. Faster than my T2 or Omega or Gamma, if I want better response on mid-range top higher-conductive targets, to be sure.

Straight up, I am mainly out hunting coins, trade tokens, jewelry and other small artifacts. A lot of my 'coin hunting' is urban based because I am stuck here most of the time. My heartfelt desire, however, is to get out-of-town to any older site. In short, I prefer to take a 'relic hunter' approach to detecting. I don't like much discrimination. I recover a lot of targets, both good and bad. While I prefer to research and seek out older-use sites, I am still on whatever path leads me to older coins and good trade tokens. Naturally, I will take all the good silver and gold jewelry I can find.

Most of my success through the years has come from using lower frequency detectors, and I have been well rewarded. This is one reason why I have found the Teknetics Omega (and Gamma and Delta) to satisfy me a great deal. That 7.8 kHz operation signals well over a broad range of conductivities. I have used some mid-to-higher frequency models for other manufacturers and in the case of the White's MXT and M6 I was successful, and that's sort of what drove me to the Teknetics T2. While I like the T2 I prefer the Target ID and some performance of the Omega. I'll tinker with a Fisher F75 this winter and consider adding it to my detector battery, probably replacing the T2, if it does better for my coin hunting needs.

So, with all this satisfaction, why would I even be remotely interested in the new Teknetics G2? Simple. I do a little nugget hunting when possible, and I like to hunt some sites in All Metal, only. To compliment that I was interested in the G2 performance with the faster processing time when using a smaller coil in some of the really junky sites I hit.

At the various sites I hunted, several were a junk challenge, to be sure. I usually use my 5" DD coil on the Omega so I wanted to put it to work on the G2. The stock G2 coil is the 11" BiAxial DD. I like that coil mainly for site coverage, and in low-target areas it was a pleasure to use. I have my spare coils on lower rods so changes in the field are quick. Using the G2 a lot left me more challenges that before as to which coil is the best to keep mounted most of the time, and for me that was sort of easy. I do like the 11" DD coil, but I don't get into that many low-target sites with a lot of ground to cover. Instead, most places have ample targets, including trash, and it takes more patience to work them efficiently.

So, I am now going to set the 11" coil and rod aside but ready when needed. I have been impressed with the 10' elliptical concentric coil on the Omega, but was pleasantly surprised how well the G2 and I got along in moderate target level sites. I almost decided to keep the 5" DD on my Omega as I had for the entire month of September and use the sub-10" elliptical concentric coil o the G2. That was until I swapped coils at the trashy old home sites with some debris at one of them. The 5" DD coil combined with the efficient process of the G2 and the very quick-response and fast recovery time let that combination pull coins and other small-sized artifacts from some real, challenges.

Glitches: Nothing is perfect but there wasn't too much to fault with the G2. It is a higher frequency unit, is was designed primarily to be used in the All Metal mode for gold nugget hunting, it features a Discriminate mode for some measure of versatility. For all that they have given us a very nice detector. It is versatile, but when hunting in the Discriminate mode it will do better on lower conductive targets. For those who want a very good All Metal method of search, they have one of the best they could imagine in the G2. To acquire the best depth possible, it does call for a little faster sweep speed in the Discriminate mode, but it is not a 'depth monster,' if that's what you're shopping for.

For what it is, it works. For me and my hunting needs, I think the G2 will help me out the most with the 5" DD coil because I used that combination at two old house sites I had been hunting for a month-and-a-half but they were trashy, and I had used the 5" coil all September on the Omega, too. Due to the trash level I knew I wasn't going to achieve any depth, but I wanted to deal with the target masking. I did well with the 5" and Omega, but I did double-the-finds using the 5" DD coil on the new G2!

Other than older sites I also used the G2 with various coils for some day-to-day coin hunting just to check the response on lot of foil and US 5¢ coins, only to find the very nice 14k women's ring with 10 diamonds in a channel setting. No, not huge stones, but I enjoyed the find with a new detector, and close to metal structures that others had hunted around recently. I'll mount the stock 11" DD coil when I have a lot of open area to cover, such as a beach or when looking up and down a draw for gold nuggets. Of all four search coils, my favorites are still the 5" DD and the 10" elliptical concentric for the sites I hunt, and that proved to be true with the G2 as well as the Omega for me. But I'll leave the stock 10" concentric on the Omega, the 5" on the G2, have the 11' DD mounted on a lower rod and ready-to-use when I feel the time is right.

As with any make and model it is not for someone else to say a particular unit is just what YOU need, but I can tell you that it is a unit that I need. Then I'll add that I think YOU might want to check one out. Give it time and see what appeals to you. I did, in the end, have one problem that I just have to live with and that is Coin Depth read-out. The VDI readings on my G2 prototype were spot on. All coils, perfect. Everything was near perfect as I anticipated for what we have, but the Coin Depth reading was usually off a lot in the Discriminate mode with it registering '0' to 1" but I had to recover the coin or similar-size junk from a depth of 3"-4 ". That was with all coils and in many situations. The VCO audio peaks very quickly and you hear a pronounced audio response, then maybe get a shallow-reading coin indication, but have to go a little deeper to get it. So, with a Coin Depth that isn't perfect all the time, I figured that wasn't such a big deal to me.

If you own a Delta or Gamma or Omega, the new G2 ought to be a consideration to compliment your arsenal. It gives you different TID audio information at a higher frequency, yet shares all the same search coils. Its a good new model for me, and now that this project is completed, the folks at Teknetics (FTP) can start concentrating on other models improvement or different new model projects. It seems they enjoy doing that".

Monte
Not for sure if the gain is tied to the GB or Fe reading?
November 01, 2010 01:56AM
but you will find wjhen you get into extreme ground the depth drops off internally some way ...I believe it's tied to the ground Balance...It helps it run smooth in bad minerals

give it a test on low condcutor's when you balalnce to saltwater and see if the depth drops...

Just what I have seen with the GBSE

Keith
keith
November 01, 2010 02:06AM
i think the same thing, but can not prove it yet.

maybe tues. or wed. i will rig up a sling deal for G2 and take frankenpro...(se pro) to the beach and use it and test each target i hit with it.........now that baby will really go deep on the damp stuff.

back soon

<"))))><(
Re: keith
November 01, 2010 09:17PM
So far......this all sounds reasonable. I can see where a lot more (diversified) scenario testing is required. A real relic hunt.......in a completely sanatized environment ...where ALL non-ferrous items have been removed by all other units.... is on tap. I would guess...the G2 would succeed with a (undetermined ... as of yet) amount of success.

Micro-jewelry hunting with definative, "test-standardized" targets is mandatory.
I believe Monte is compensated
November 01, 2010 11:15PM
for his work on the teknetics forum. Not that its a bad thing, But its something to think about. Someone correct me if im wrong. HH
Re: I believe Monte is compensated
November 02, 2010 08:29AM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for his work on the teknetics forum. Not that its
> a bad thing, But its something to think about.
> Someone correct me if im wrong. HH

It's crossed my mind but I just thought he was a retired man with extra time on his hands and a helpful personality. He sure does give good advice and explanations, but one is to expect a long reply even if you say "quick question" eheheh.

It is something to think about possum... (That said he did steer my to try out the Omega 8000 and I liked it so much on coins I sold my T2 the same weekend after having it for 3 years!)
Re: I believe Monte is compensated
November 02, 2010 10:53PM
from what i have seen from monte's posts/replys he is just an experienced detectorist and very helpful!!!! i am seeing good reviews from others as well. dont know your opinion on fifsttexas , Dave Johnson and his fellow engineers but they are doing some great things!!!
chuck.
beach and dirt spins - lots of pics
November 04, 2010 03:27AM
Went to a old home today that I have hunted before and found some old silver and alike. When it was farmed, the fellow found 6 – 10lb canon balls. I have found little related targets in my spins there.
Today, I did find a nice small button and you will see the rest of the spin.
Wooden stakes have se pro reading at top and jrGman numbers below and results.
Only a few targets were deep and they were all iron……….jr Gman likes deep iron and bottle caps.
At this stage of testing for me, I truly believe it does go much deeper in all metals as the manual says.
***********************************************************************************
Yesterday I went to the beach, had jr on rope sling and main heater was se pro in box, so I could not get the meter readings. Targets were not plentiful, maybe 12 or so for 2 hours…….meager clad……ALL DAMP SAND FINDS.
jrGman could only hear some of the targets that the se pro could hear and most had to be with jr in all metals.
I had two low tones from the se pro……..dimes i think, have dug many dimes with expII and pro. Jr Gman could not hear either one and my buddy was there with his excel II and it would not hear either dime. After I got off 2 scoops of sand, the excal. could hear the dime and jr Gman could hear them in all metals…..4 scoops later, out pops the dime.
More testing to follow…….but no dirt……………O M G…….MO – SKEETERS were so bad it is hard to comprehend.
Lot of pics

Re: Not for sure if the gain is tied to the GB or Fe reading?
November 05, 2010 02:47PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but you will find wjhen you get into extreme
> ground the depth drops off internally some way
> ...I believe it's tied to the ground Balance...It
> helps it run smooth in bad minerals
>
> give it a test on low condcutor's when you
> balalnce to saltwater and see if the depth
> drops...
>
> Just what I have seen with the GBSE
>
> Keith

Keith it might be possible they are using some form of variable filtering.(?) Depth and ID at depth in my mild ground is right up there with the best 'coin' machines on a large range of conductive target sizes.
Tom
Hey Jackpine I am now sure it's the Ground Balance doing it
November 06, 2010 10:37PM
on the GBSE anyway... You can test your G2 and see also...On the GBSE as you move the ground around watch what happens to the depth especially when you approach zero setting which it uses for wet-salt.. the gain drops off..At least it does on the GBSE....now mild ground hunter's wont see much in depth changes because the strong areas are in the mid regions like 50-70 start getting out of those ranges and depth will start to suffer,,,But the machine remains smooth running also .. Sort of dumbed it up for us...instead of it getting noisy and we have to run the gain back it does it for us...( Could be turning back the Tx or Rx circuit ???)

Crazy micro-processor's HA-Ha Not really a bad thing but something you may want to explore if you get into some funky ground and want to get the depth up is to try different Ground setting's...You know get a little noise going in the unit...

Now this may not apply to the G2??Maybe different..

I will say it again bad ground is masking worse than iron....

at least with iron you can hear it ...Ground is the other silent killer!!!!Ha-Ha

Doing alot of experimenting with machine's right now in ultra bad red clay dirt...Really tick's you off what the VLF's leave behind in a sanitized Civil War camp site.....

P.I's are the best thing going in a hit hard area for me right now...really mind blowing what I walk over with the super duper $1000.00 VLF's

Did get a little eye opener this week with the new Garrett ace 350...it has factory set GB and it will actually see target's under hot rock's and hand made red clay brick's my other machine's
wont even peep on...

Tha'ts using the new Garrett DD coil..... put the concentric on there and it's a dead duck on the test ....That AT-Pro might be in eye opener in bad ground????it will have that awesome coil on it..... And it is an awesome coil ....

Glad we are starting to see advances in coil design's here lately...Vlf tech is coming to a stand still and the coils are helping alot right now...

If you have good dirt feel lucky ...You won't believe the troubles I go through to hunt bad dirt...

Still more in the ground than's ever been found!!!

Keith
Re: Hey Jackpine I am now sure it's the Ground Balance doing it
November 06, 2010 11:13PM
Hey Keith thanks for the great info on the GB vs gain thing. It doesn't surprise me they did that. I remember the MXT engineering report mentioning that the gain is autmatically dialed back in bad ground to prevent front end overload when encountering severe black sand/magnetite.

Yeah those DD's are better on getting signals on targets under hot/cold rocks.. The Omega had to have the DD on it to effectively hunt some rocky beaches here. Actually it paid to hunt the same stretch with one coil and then follow up with the other. I posted a Lake Michigan beach hunt with the G2 over on findmall. If I can make it back over there this week I will test some weak all metal signals at low GB settings to see what effect there is. So far it is working better than what I remember the T2 doing on those same beaches.

HH Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 05:18AM by Jackpine.
November 07, 2010 02:35AM
Take a little piece of chewing gum foil (or would prefer to use a small 10Kt or 14Kt gold charm).

Perform the following air-test. Set Grnd Bal near max and measure the detectable distance on F75/T2/F70/MXT/Coin$trike/GB/G2 (just to name a few).

Now perform the exact same test again................but..........this time, set Grnd Bal on minimum. See what happens to distance (depth). With this setting...........you will probably learn that the gold charm is completely undetectable. AND THIS IS IN AN AIR-TEST! No 'bad dirt' exposure yet!

Take a CZ and put the Salt/Normal switch in 'Salt'......and see if it'll detect that same gold charm at all !!!!!!!

Now add bad dirt!!!....and see what happens! EVEN WORSE...........add wet salt!!!

P.I.'s in general............are immune to wet salt.
November 07, 2010 11:59AM
Why would one prefer a G2 over a GB Pro? Personal preference or ?? Just trying to understand differences between the two ...
November 07, 2010 12:33PM
Absolutely no differentiation between the Fisher Gold Bug and Teknetics G2............except one is pistol-grip stalk mounted.......and the other is S-pole mounted. Electronics are identical.
but

it is not going to be a heater i will keep.

i am not thrilled with its performance on the beach at all............
I feel the G2 is a gold machine that turned out to be a top of the line relic hunter but I don't think they ever intended it to be a beach hunter like the older fisher was.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: i opted for the G2 for the pistol grip style and it came with 11" coil.....few bucks more
November 07, 2010 09:35PM
Which older Fisher's? It is only the CZ series that can handle the wet salt.
Lowbo Y
November 08, 2010 12:54AM
I feel the G2 is a gold machine that turned out to be a top of the line relic hunter but I don't think they ever intended it to be a beach hunter like the older fisher was.

LowBoY

i know ......i know, but i was just hoping........i sure does work gooood.

now i wonder if the at pro will be the same ??
ATPro looks more and more promising in bad dirt situation's
November 08, 2010 02:54AM
I have been playing with an ace 350 and if the ATPRO retains the 350's mineralization see-through I believe we are in for quite the treat...Might be the machine a beach hunter has been waiting for??

I have seen some remarkable result's and the DD coil seems to be the culprit on the ace 350 for the excellent mineralization handling...and the coil really turned the ace into a depth demon across the board...

it sees through Handmade red clay brick's and hot rock's that non of my other VLf's will see through.. and actually I.D.'s almost perfect...

if the ATPro retains these attribute's I believe we will have winner...Maybe we will know more by the end of the coming week...I hope to have one in hand myself...but we will see..

I am liking the pro audio description also....the way it sort of blend's the iron tone on the edges of a good beep to alert to large or round shaped iron...if it's got some good language it might help hear the deeper good target's that drop into the iron range but maybe will give some low grunt nuance to alert us to investigate further ...Sort of like an all metal mode does on the nautilus when it's out of the disc range...?????Maybe...

Audio nuance is everything for deep hunting...Let's hope it's a good one for sure////Audio and good coils with ground handling capabilities are where we are at right now in the vlf market if we want to push the technology further...

Still need to get us a good mixed mode machine that will handle bad dirt......A nautilus with a DD coil would be a start for me!!! Wonder if a MXT DD coil would work on a Nautilus?Freq is the same I believe?

Keith
Re: not the heater for me
November 08, 2010 12:09PM
Hey Max,
What didn't you like about it? Does it find the micro gold in wet pack as you expected? Or are you having tuning issues moving from surf lane to dry? What are the issues you're having that makes it not a "keeper"?
gary
November 08, 2010 01:07PM
it finds micro stuff fine.........my f75 found it also.

va beach is loaded with tiny flakes of iron .....mostly shallow that get kicked all around by the waves.....100% of my beach hunting has always been with minelabs, so i was not use to hearing nor digging these flakes. when i had my 2 - f75's and programed them to run fairly well on the beach, i found out all about these flakes. the f75 was not a quiet as the the g2 is.......g2 runs smooth and ground balances fast even in the shallows. one can move from wet, damp and dry fast......ground balancing to each in seconds, but it just does not have alot of depth in the dampish areas, or that is the way i find it.

gary, i am spoiled i guess........i have to dig many targets during my spins like this one pictured here..........god i do not like having to dig that deep ever, but it has become the norm with my old expII with the new 11" pro coil and now my newer se pro which i just added a new sef 10 x 12 coil tooooo. now mind u, i was not expecting this kind of depth with the jr Gman, but i was expecting maybe more that what i have gotten so far.

last week i hit two really deep dimes with the se pro and the G2 and my buddies excalII could hear neither........whatever setting we tried neither could even get a peep, after i got two scoops of sand off, the excal could hear it and G2 could as well in all metals mode at 100, 4 scoops later, out pops the dime..........this was posted above in earlier post also.

we had lots of wind and waves now for 2 days and i did really good on clad and targets yesterday with the pro, i plan on using jr Gman today and see how it does since there are more targets around to test it on.

now the subject of bottle caps........jrGman likes them.......f75 likes them.......se pro as well, but the g2 and f75 like them old rusty ones deep better and we have lots of them.

i feel i am wasiting my time at the beach with the g2......but i want to give it one last shot today before i make up my mind on returning to dealer or selling on the classifieds........it is so nice and light and super fast, i hate to part with it...........however

good luck......HH
Re: not the heater for me
November 08, 2010 04:57PM
Max,

Thanks for the reports. Do you think there would be any advantage moving from an F75 ( original, not LTD) to the G2? I like the fact that it seems to run quieter, but was wondering if it wouldn't match the depth that the F75 has. I also thought the G2 might hit some smaller jewelry that the F75 would miss.

Thanks,
Bart
bart - & others
November 08, 2010 11:29PM
for me here in va beach, this is the culprit that i found with my f75's and the G2.............they are all over and vary in size from 1/4" and up.

as i stated above, i am spoiled by the minelab nulls.........would never hear these.........the f75 seemed to hit them better than Gman does, but they both lovem.

today i used it for 3 hrs.........targets were no as plentiful as sunday, but sunday i had se pro.

G2 does go rather deep in all metals mode at the beach, but seems to lack depth in discriminate mode...........jmo.

dug some bobby pins today.......in all metals u get mixed reading when first contact......upper arc i.d. jumps around and if they are deep, u get no reading in discriminate until u get some sand off.......by then u have told yourself u are going to dig it just to see what it is.........smiling smiley

now when u hit a real target, quarters, dimes - clad........like the f75, the g2 gives u a much better real life tone........the iron gives u different sound,or it does to me............real life tone......u know, ....one u can tell right off it is good.

so, lets say u beach hunt with the G2 and use for dry sand and damp........after your hearing adjusts to the good tones and the first strike iron tones this heater will do a good job on the beach......those of u that have used the f75 on the beach can relate to this..........with that said, the G2 sets up faster in the damp or seems to me it does and runs smooth and quiet.

This was just posted on the minelabowners forum by nuke em
November 10, 2010 02:53AM
Today i used my Technetics G2 on the beach and found that it works well even close to the sea and in it.
The beach had been caned by the southeasterly gails in the last day or two so had to go and find another stash
I had 2 silver rings and £26.17p , a pier token and a coroded 20 euro cent and 3 coroded 1p coins.
now i have the mumbles big time............maybe more testing is still required