Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Comparison of Omega and xterra 705..Coinhunting

Posted by sonny(IN) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Comparison of Omega and xterra 705..Coinhunting
December 16, 2010 11:45AM
Wonder if anyone has compared these 2 detectors when it comes to coin hunting.. any thoughts appreciated.....They both are great units from what I have read,,thanks
Re: Comparison of Omega and safari
December 17, 2010 04:05AM
Hey Sonny,
I had the omega W/ 3 coils for 6 mo. I bought a used safari, compared them , then sold the omega. . Safari weighs more, not balanced as well, but a much better performer. The omega did not have the depth , it had a hard time IDing tarnished nickels, resulting in digging a ton of alum. crapola. The Safari ID's targets excellent. One tree I searched around using the omega, and all 3 coils, I then used the safari, and pulled out another 10 coins I missed with the O. Other areas I rechecked with the safari, I pulled out numerous coins I missed with the O. ( I have been detecting for over 30 years) Im sold on the Safari, especially running in all metal mode if the targets arent too dense.It responds as fast as the Omega in this mode, and still has disc.
Re: Comparison of Omega and safari
December 17, 2010 12:58PM
Possum, I also had the Omega and could only get about 6" max depth. I had the 11" DD coil but could not run it hot in my soil. So the stock 10" was my go to coil. Nickels were also a problem unless I wanted to dig a lot of junk. I just purchased a Safari, so if you don't mind I amy be asking you some questions. Just playing with air-test and in the coin garden I think I am going to like it a lot.

Tom in SC
I'll help with your q's if i can.
December 17, 2010 05:39PM
Im not a dealer, so Ill be honest.
Re: Comparison of Omega and xterra 705..Coinhunting
December 17, 2010 08:56PM
Soil may be the factor here , but i have seen a hunting bud pull
coins at 9 inches in mild soil with the O8.
December 17, 2010 10:10PM
I don't have a problem getting 8-9" on a coin with the Omega, either and have hunted behind my friend that has a Safari and get coins it has missed. Having said that, I have hunted behind myself numerous time and continue to find coins I and others have missed. HH jim tn
December 19, 2010 01:05AM
I have had the Xterra 70 for over 3 years now and did have the 705 for awhile. I don't know about coins, but the Xterra 70 with the 10.5DD coil is the deepest running,most stable and light weight detector I've ever used and I've had most of the high end machines out there, including the Safari, TWICE!! I thought that it would be a deep runner for relics, but boy, I was wrong. It has the recovery rate so slow and the disc mode is useless because of the blanking. I traded it for the New G2 and have not looked back. All I can say about the FBS machines is I will never have another one. If the Omega is anything like the G2 for recovery rate, it would be a great machine I think for coins.
Yeah that slow recovery on the xterra 70
December 21, 2010 10:54AM
does allow for some decent depth and ID at depth but, I'm with you on hunting iron it just don't get it done. When you have to turn the sens down into the teens to settle it down around iron you lose to much. It was worthless in the plowed fields around here when I ran into heavy iron.

Tom