Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-3D question for Tom and other cz users

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-3D question for Tom and other cz users
August 10, 2017 09:39PM
My Tom tuned cz-3d has gone squirrelly on me, but only in the enhanced mode.

In enhanced mode it has become very unstable, with high tone elongated falses with virtually every swing of the detector, but the salt mode works properly with no problems whatsoever. I've tried this at several different spots with the same issue, so it's not the location.

Have any of you cz-3d users ever had this happen or have any idea what's going on?
Re: CZ-3D question for Tom and other cz users
August 11, 2017 01:35AM
Although it should affect BOTH modes.......... check the tightness of the coil connector. Also........ try a different NEW pair of batteries.

If you run Sens on 4.2......... is the problem in 'Enhance' mode.... subdued?
August 11, 2017 01:38AM
...........also........... Can you run a different (incorrect) Grnd Balance setting(s)....... and see a 'change/delta' in the problem? Possibly....... up-to/and-including...... the regain of stable performance?
August 11, 2017 01:54AM
Thanks for the input, Tom. Will try to get out tomorrow to give you all answers, if not then Saturday.
August 11, 2017 02:08PM
With no mention of how high your running sens usually one can run sens in salt mode higher so you may be running sens too high in enhanced mode.
August 15, 2017 10:57PM
Had a chance to get out this afternoon for a couple hours and investigate the settings.

As Tom speculated, the unit is ground balancing differently in each of the modes. In enhanced mode, the proper gb (silent when pumping in autotune/all metal) was approx. three numbers lower than in salt mode. Dropping the gb like this gave me stable performance in enhanced mode with the sensitivity at 5.

I could also drop the sensitivity in enhanced to about 4 to regain stable performance.
August 16, 2017 04:46PM
Ok. Good to know. Both methods worked.......... individually. Obviously....... I would keep the Sens higher...... and utilize a different Grnd. Balance to achieve stability!
August 16, 2017 04:56PM
Tom, thanks for all your help. And thanks to Dan as well.

You know I've got to ask. Any idea what change in the detector (or coil) causes this ground balance disparity to occur?
August 16, 2017 07:31PM
Don't have a prayer...some of out techies might....Always balance dead on but over the years have heard of many experimenting with having good results....also understand changing the ground balance parameters can change depth readings on air tests which completely baffles me...
August 17, 2017 10:38PM
There is a 45-Degree phase-shift angle change whilst in 'Salt' mode. Sooooooooo......... the Grnd Bal settings are now 'phase-shifted' to a different span/range. It really shows...... when you switch back to 'Enhance'.
August 17, 2017 11:50PM
Have had a cz-3d since 2007 and have always ground balanced using the bobbing method in enhanced mode. You guys have me curious wondering if ground balancing and using the bobbing method in salt mode would work any different. In other words what method would be better if any ? Read the manual and didn't see where it say's either one. Also read where using the bobbing method you should set sensitivity control to barely hear a threshold hum while pumping the coil up and down. I have always left my sensitivity in 10 while bobbing the coil and then turn it down after ground balance is set. Does this make a difference?
August 18, 2017 10:18AM
Mike from Ill,

Ground Balance a Cz3D,-- I switch to autotune (all metal), crank sens up to max, pump coil whilst adjusting GB in the mode I'm going to use, mostly enhanced, then turn down sens and volume to suit, switch back to disc then detect.

There is another way if you want to get to the brink of depth of your unit that I don't use and that is to adjust the GB a little hot. I prefer to set the GB in neutral.
August 18, 2017 12:36PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike from Ill,
>
> Ground Balance a Cz3D,-- I switch to autotune (all
> metal), crank sens up to max, pump coil whilst adj
> usting GB in the mode I'm going to use, mostly enh
> anced, then turn down sens and volume to suit, swi
> tch back to disc then detect.
>
> There is another way if you want to get to the bri
> nk of depth of your unit that I don't use and that
> is to adjust the GB a little hot. I prefer to set
> the GB in neutral.

Thanks Ozzie. Yep that's exactly how I gb mine also. Have read where some guys will run their's a little positive or negative on the gb.Like you I have always ran neutral. Again many thanks.