Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

HF Elliptical Deus coil...... thoughts and ramblings HUNT UPDATE 8/16/17 VIDEO ADDED 8/17/17 VIDEO ADDED of Down the Barrel Vs T2-C. W/Snake coil 8/25/17

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm Very much impressed with this coil..I wasn't too excited about the round 9" HF but the Elliptical Piqued my interest fast as I want this type coil on a HF Rig..Not for design intent or prospecting but for my relic ventures..

I admit I am a Elliptical coil freak on HF machines..Always liked them for their size and shape and how they react with High Freqs..They keep good depth and allow for separation too!

To me this is just what I wanted for the DEUS.and it's a very advanced coil compared to the one of same size for the GMP..

Simple airtest and the depth it achieves is off the charts and has a TO ME more accurate ID at depth VS the stock 9 and unmask better ..YES this coil as it should will UNMASK!!to a new level on the Deus..Plus the depth its unmask is impressive...that is the separation it achieves let's say on the nail board test is a foot above the test targets with a clear precise report ..

((( Side note Now the Deus can pass the Nail board test Fully)))

Its extremely light and like that the battery is now inside the shaft Vs inside the coil...and can easily be changed...And I like the white color too..easier to track in low light.

The 2.5 reactivity had this coil in mind when it was developed you can almost feel....just the natural reactivity that high freq's bring to the table coupled with the new Version 4.0 and 2.5 R. setting allows for the depth to stay up and the target response to be lightning and I mean lightning fast..The elliptical design help in separation as it should also but even on 13 khz this coil really separates.And has great small to medium iron rejection through the freq range of 13-30-80Khz..

80 Khz has the weakest depth on coin sizes but really powerful on small items like cuff buttons and P-Cap's

30 Khz feels very intuitive has a feel of the 18Khz stock coil but more responsive..

14Khz to me seems hotter on coin sizes than the stock on 18Khz acts more like 12khz stock in that regard but just feels cleaner ..has that feel of 18Khz but hits like the 12Khz does on stock 9" coil...and I like that...

what does that tell me ..it can be a great all around coil for especially relic's in iron and out and double as a coin shooter...

It just has a clean feel in the audio if that makes sense and feels very adaptable and precise...and the machine can be run very hot with excellent E.M.I resiliency..Its a very quiet coil..

Deep silver on this coil on 14Khz using the latest tone hz set to highest point like 993 Hz or so sings on Silver...just has a unique sound that clad doesn't have..one of the sweetest high pitch tight fuzzy sounds you will encounter..

I feel for what I want to do the 30 and 14Khz will get the best work out..80Khz will be more for SPECIFIC uses...as it hits on the tiniest of stuff..the 30Khz is relic territory hot on brass and also may add where the stock 9 on 18khz seems to favor Round over irregular shapes like toe taps and watch keys and such it lites up all shapes irregular and round..

seems to handle mineral well..((as it should less window))...Yet the stock coil also handles mineral well

makes the Deus to me feel like a different animal..

watch out in thick iron if you use 80Khz it can wrap good targets intermingled in iron to iron tone and ID..As you move up the Khz scale from 14-30-80 the Id's will climb also..30Khz though doesn't seem to exhibit this...they read higher but don't wrap..Not sure if I was a Coin hunter here in the States I would rely on a HF Deus coil but if your a SERIOUS Relic guy who coins hunts this will be a high use coil with coin shooting availability as an option...

As far as mechanical its so light you don't really notice it on the end of the pole...almost feels like swinging just the rod..Do wish it mounted in the center instead of rear though not that its out of balance just would feel more controllable..The battery lead is small yet out of harm's way,,,Guess time will tell how it holds up though snagging it will never be an issue as its concealed well..

To me for what this coil is designed for prospecting....I like that its adaptable to discrimination for relics and coins...Glad it's not just a coil that only works on say Goldfield program..

And that's the real Beauty of the Deus its adaptable..I don't think this coil will make the stock coil Obsolete and surely not for the masses of coin hunters or occasional relic hunter or even hard core relic guys...but to me it adds another dimension to unlocking iron sites.Maybe not what its original intent was but I like that I can make it work for a specific need...plain and simple..An added bonus as solid platform already..its expensive for a coil but if it just nets a few more finds in a sea of iron TO ME it's worth it...Plus Ill use it more than stoick for the areas and style I hunt...Its not rocket science or magic its simple facts that smaller coil will equal better separation over say a stock 9 inch..and higher freqs will prefer lower conductors. and 9 inch elliptical DD will be slightly less depth Vs a round 9 inch DD (That is unless mineral is overwhelming or were saying deeper where??how about in between some nails targets then we will see more usable depth than stock))..Couple that with full control ability of the Deus and you have a method of tailoring it to a situation...I'm happy to have this setup in my arsenal as it fill's a need especially the 30Khz mode...There's things intermingled in iron that only at this point in VLF design a useful freq and ability to adapt will sniff out..

Here's some pics and a Airtest chart..crude but I think its shows how Freq changes things and also it behaves like it should.

First is size of coil

2017-08-12_05-02-37 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

2017-08-12_05-03-09 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Next is a crude chart using GMP program stock..90 Ground Bal.90 sens.
2017-08-12_06-46-50 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 07:38PM by Keith Southern.
Re: HF Elliptical Deus coil...... thoughts and ramblings
August 12, 2017 10:56PM
Thanks for the great post Keith. You going to do a video on the Deus with the nail board test?

Thanks again for the information.

El
August 12, 2017 10:59PM
Nice report Keith, I have the 9" round HF coil for my deus and was wondering how the elliptical compared to it. Have you tried both? Thanks

John
August 12, 2017 11:17PM
Elbert : Yes when I get a chance..next couple of days Ill throw something together..

Sand Dog : No haven't used the 9 inch round.HF...to be honest for my type hunting which is 80% or more habitation sites I wanted a small coil more than anything else to mate to the Deus..and where we are with processing and audio info and also just the inherent ability to unmask of the deus this mid size coil is a welcome choice..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 12, 2017 11:22PM
Keith-----I've been waiting for you to report on this.-----If a person has the 9" round stock coil and this new elliptical coil in the 4 version Deus----do you then think he/she is well covered for gold (nugget), relics and to a lesser extent coins?-----Main interest being gold & relics.------Is there any other detector/coil combo that you feel would be better for this application?---------Del
August 12, 2017 11:34PM
Nice report.
Paul (Old California)
I've been following some of what he has said about both sized HF coils.
August 13, 2017 12:51AM
Hey Del!!

Ask something Hard why don't ya!!! LOL

All kidding aside...Give me a week or so to BEGIN to answer that question about Gold Hunting. I am lucky enough to have Sand dog send me the latest MInelab Gold monster and I will test it out on gold nuggets in the soil and that being a basic gold machine I think I will be able to paint a picture of the strength of the Deus against a dedicated gold unit for the purpose of small gold ...and to be honest I'm not a nugget hunter though the approach is alot like relic hunting using all metal mode and keeping things intelligent enough to hear whispers in bad soils...

Now if you want one machine that can do it all?? coin relic and nugget That's a MXT...and while a great unit and a true multi purpose unit and legitimate legend ...it will not unmask like a Deus day in day out over a wide range of iron sizes and such...and to me it will not cut soil like a Deus...MXT does have to me anyways deeper/more accurate Visual ID than a DEUS on isolated targets...but its not a deeper unit coil size for coils size...I used the MXT because its a True multi purpose unit and well known as such..Yet its also stuck on one freq..

Anytime you get into multi purpose units theres always give and takes... Alain I feel wants to get his Deus into prospectors hands as it is a hot hobby and or even job for many..Would a Hard core prospector or man that does it for a living use a Deus to prospect full time???That's according on how well it can run in the gold fields offering smooth enough intelligent audio reports at least for a VLF...

Now just testing Nuggets on the DEUS and playing a bit with the gold field program which is threshold based, if it was me and I was going to go around here and hunt gold and be happy if I found one nugget.. I think the Deus would do quite well against alot of the other VLFs that being Gold Bugs and F19's Eureka Whites GMT etc..

I think Alain wants to appeal to the VLF Hobby side of prospecting and by doing it on the Deus he also appeals to a broader purchaser by having ability to offer world class unmasking and alot of added bonuses like lite weight and well all the stuff we know the deus does like updatability etc..

Maybe a person who prospects and has used the Deus with HF elliptical would be better able to answer the gold hunting portion ..Yet not sure many people have got hold of the coils yet...

I'm more of a Bottom feeder ...LOL..That is I look for gold units that will discriminate and run High Freqs and use them for other purposes...that being habitation site unmasking..

But I will do a side by side video with the Gold monster and the Deus HF Elliptical Coil and bury some nuggets in some harsh soil...and post it up just as soon as I get a chance..

If you'd like a Gut feeling though Del...Id say yes its a very unique unit now that the HF coils are able to be used..

I want to show you something ..don't know if you seen it or not but to me quite impressive when he test in the mineral ...[www.youtube.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 01:23AM by Keith Southern.
August 13, 2017 01:04AM
Good report Keith thumbs down

Can't wait = mine arrives Tuesday grinning smiley
August 13, 2017 01:06AM
I had not seen that video before until now.

I did though make a comment a few days ago, that we don't see enough or hardly any test done (shown in videos where the ferrous and nonferrous are infact grounded.
Some here have said back in time grounding makes the test results faulty.

Some maybe rethinking now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 01:08AM by Sod-buster.
August 13, 2017 01:28AM
Terrific report,have a 9'' HF Elliptical coil coming this week,have a roman villa site that i plan on using it on next weekend and in one area a coil like this will work a treat.
August 13, 2017 02:01PM
Thanks Keith---Looking forward to your further upcoming test/reports on this thing.
August 13, 2017 02:04PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good report Keith thumbs down
>
> Can't wait = mine arrives Tuesday grinning smiley

We're looking forward to a report from you on this also Wayne.-----Lay it on us/let us know what you think of it---"warts & all"! thumbs down
August 13, 2017 04:09PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> As far as mechanical its so light you don't really
> notice it on the end of the pole...almost feels li
> ke swinging just the rod..

Hello Keith, nice report but I wonder about the quoted part. For me the weight, or the feel of it (mounted) was the biggest disappointment (from the moment I've put the coil on). I agree about the size, this coil looks (for some reason) smaller than expected, but (for me) it feels like a small brick. I will check under the cover, if there is any lead planted by my dealer (maybe he made a prank).

I was actually surprised about the ergonomics of the round HF coil. In my opinion it feels much lighter than the elliptical coil (even when it's slightly heavier). Because of it, I expected the elliptical to be even better, which is not the case. It's not something very bad, it's just a missed opportunity, because it could have been much better - probably due to the strange mounting position. I was thinking about making a small (kydex) "adapter" that would place the rod in the middle (this would add some weight, but maybe it's worth a try). Again, this is only my impression, I'm usually very concerned about ergonomics.

I made a few air tests a few days ago with some targets lying around - here are the results:
(I used my own setting with 99 Sens, 3 React. etc., each coil was using its highest frequency)

Small Roman gold (part of a ring)

Elliptical HF coil: 9" - 9.4"
Round HF coil: 8.7" - 9"
Black 9" coil: 9.4"

Modern "20 Cent" (Euro) coin

Elliptical HF coil: 11"
Round HF coil: 10.2" - 10.6"
Black 9" coil: 13.4" - 13.8"

Modern "20 Cent" (Euro) coin on edge (vertical)

Elliptical HF coil: 7.9" - 8.3"
Round HF coil: 7.9" - 8.3"
Black 9" coil: 9.4" - 9.8"

Ring from a pigeon

Elliptical HF coil: 8.7"
Round HF coil: 8.7" - 9"

Prussian button (hollow inside)

Elliptical HF coil: 12.6"
Round HF coil: 12.6"
Black 9" coil: 14.6"

Small Roman coin (0.51"x0.43")

Elliptical HF coil: 8.3"
Round HF coil: 7.8" - 8.3"

Small silver coin ("1 Kreuzer" from 1692 - 0.62")

Elliptical HF coil: 9.4"
Round HF coil: 9.4" - 9.8"
Black 9" coil: 10.2" - 10.6"

Sorry about the weird data, I had to convert it from centimeters.

I tried this coil on a field (with 74kHz), but without any comparison (I'm usually using the black coil with a very sparky set (G.B. of 63 all the time and DISC set to "3", everywhere)) . My first attempt on an (partially "hunted out") abandoned vineyard "failed". I could not find much, except for tiny bits of foil and coke. The coil couldn't open any curtains, or another dimensions grinning smiley.

I found a few targets during my field "test" (also a Roman coin), but I didn't had the feeling like I would miss anything with my black 9" coil (that's just my assumption). Actually I was asking myself if I could find more with the black coil. I was a little bit disappointed with the depth of all the targets. Everything was pretty shallow (I'm used to shallow targets, but this was quite unusual. It could be a coincidence, maybe I expected "too much"...). I will try to test this coil at a location with dense iron in the future (maybe with my black 9" coil side by side, maybe with lower frequencies too). For now I switched back to my trusty 9" & 11" combo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 04:12PM by x2000.
August 13, 2017 07:43PM
2000 Thanks for the test..

To ME the Elliptical is a specific coil.and the strengths will be for heavily iron laden sites ..Not for depth...

And yes that 80Khz will drive you mad on tiny stuff...And will not show good depths on coins and such...yet will jump on a tiny target deeper or even on the surface at times than the stock coils or even lower freqs of the HF...that's a very very very High Freq for habitation site use or even looking for coin sizes...Yet a very good Freq for thin gold Jewelry ..the stuff most people walk over every day with the lower freqs machine they use to hunt Jewelry...it will hear things like open earrings, stud earrings unclasped thin bracelets gold stick pins etc...and yes every little bit and piece of foil..Grab a Gold bug from Fisher on 71 Khz and you'll see the same scenario you saw in the field and your test on 74Khz..yet we have more control over the Deus compared to the Gold bug 71..and actually better depth believe it or not and alot better disc..

30Khz is the sweet spot for unlocking iron for this coil when comparing it against 18Khz stock coils..and with just the natural ability of 30khz to be reactive you will see that you can drop your reactivity to say 2 and it will be on par with a reactivity of 3 on 18khz in as far as separating..coil design also helps with this as its also tighter..

I can't stress enough from my findings that this is not the Deus you've come to know when this coil is installed...you will have to rethink where and how to put it to use..it's a specific coil..I look at it like this..its another machine in the arsenal with a coil swap..Luckily heres enough tweaking available on the Deus to be able to make the coil become a SITE unit other than a prospecting only unit..

The coil is made to see SMALL ...Luckily one of the by products of that is it can also be a Site sifter because of the added controls of the Deus..I wouldn't sell off a Stock freq coil and rely on the HF coils as my only option...

the main reason it has three freqs was not for the coin hunters or the relic guys but for the Prospector...the 80 being for the smallest of nuggets...the 30 for the larger and the 14 for the lunker sizes...and by doing this I feel they also allowed for the prospector who has only one unit to be able to use the 14Khz for some other endeavors like coin shooting etc..

what we are going to do though luckily since we can use it in disc modes and tweak it is use it to our advantage in more ancient non trashy habitat spots ..

instead of carrying two or three units in the field we can take the DEus with stock and HF elliptical and put them to use and eliminate the need for multiple units on a site..

Say we have the stock coil which is stellar in its own right for our hunt that day....well we get into a spot say full of iron and the site is not producing ..we can drip back to the elliptical on 30Khz and start to work up some more signals..Signals that may not even jump out at you but still signals..signals that only a smaller coil and higher freq that can be heard.((this would be in place of going back to truck and grabbing out say a DTVG on 25Khz with 5x8 coil))...Just a press of a button and we have a full featured unit to cope with a site instead of having to buy a say 600.00 or more specialty detector..we buy a 400.00 coil instead...

Or if we are beach hunting and only brought the elliptical that day...were scouting for rings in the sand and we are not producing or finds are thin...well we can by the press of a button choose the 80Khz range and start looking for Micro gold instead of having to have a Gold bug 71 Khz for the SPECIFIC task..

That's the beauty of the Deus its has enough adjustability but not alot of cluttered up adjustments to basically create a unit to fit your purpose as of now without having to buy multiple SPECIFIC $600.00+ SPECIALTY units to fill a specialized need..

ONE UNIT to replace 3 unit's........ to replace say a main unit and a couple of specialty unit's..and that's what I've seen over the years...It takes your go to unit and then a couple of specialties to get the bases covered if your a harder core hunter.The Deus has enough going for it control wise and audio intelligence wise to be adaptable with an extra coil choice and broader freqs are given to us now..Make no mistake ..the Deus is using as good of VLF technology as anything out there...I mean were dealing with VLF it's been redone a thousand times over..

I see people already concerned about the HF coils on coins and reading higher than normal like pulltabs reading in the 90s..Not sure Id want to run this coil in a pulltab site to begin with if I was looking for high conductors on say 80Khz..I.D. runs high so it will help you extract tiny gold from ferrous in the bottom end of the scale..If you want to use this coil and hunt in modern trash drop it back to 14Khz..

I know you know all this already buy I'm just using it as a Info segway ...FROM MY VIEWPOINT..

Most will never have a need for these HF coils...Yet if you have a NEED it's available without buying other units to fulfill that need..

I can add that a smaller coil like this will give better I.D.'s and better audio reports in trash as USUALLY any smaller than stock coil does..And this size/shape lends its self well to Higher freqs as a all arounder on alot of GOLD platforms..

When a person buys this coil they just bought a gold machine for only $400.00 that can be also tweaked for other uses..Yet the person needs to ask themselves do I require a gold machine even if I'm going to use it for other methods....in other words they need to have that SPECIFIC need of the gold unit to be used maybe for unintended purposes in our case .If person has that need well not to expensive an avenue to get there..it may not show itself right off the bat or everywhere you go but in the right spot it will mean finds Vs no fnds..

I've for years, well decades now have had a DESIRE for gold units in my relic quest especially since they started adding disc circuits to gold units....This coil for ME is a no brainer..And (IF) it's not a GOOD gold unit in a Prospectors eyes it sure is an adaptable relic unit in specific site terms in my eyes...

Hey try your coin test on the lower Freq's 2000 and see what you get....I'm not fully aware of the coins you have used or composition either or size..Ill bet the 14Khz might be more on par or maybe even a tad deeper on some of them than your stock coil on 18Khz in air test...then you will have an added advantage of smaller coil for trash as an option..Remember with this smaller window coil you can afford to drop reactivity back to for added depth and still keep separation up..

The Deus is a balancing act freq VS reactivity..and now we have a different shape coil to throw into the mix on top of that so we are juggling and balancing now..

I spent a little extra time on this post just for anyone who might read it not specifically staying on point of your reply post hope that was OK..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 14, 2017 08:19PM
Hello Keith,
thank you for such detailed answer (man, I was so happy, until I read that it wasn't just for me - winking smiley oh well).
I think, I will give this coil another "chance" sooner than later. I would like to try it with lower reactivity and 30kHz. Until now I never used anything below R.3 on the Deus, because the audio was not precise and even with a slower sweep speed, there was a chance of missing targets (small silver coins for example, I proven it in one of my videos with undisturbed soil).
I was hoping for another step between 3 and 2, but when 2.5 finally got introduced, I was disappointed and hoped for something like 2.9 grinning smiley.

I also believe that using the right tool for the right site is key. I learned my lesson after the latest experience with the Compadre (and the big struggle with the Deus at the same spot prior to that). The round Deus coil overlapped too much area around the targets. After this hunt I didn't had the intention to use the 9" coil at a spot like this ever again. I hope, the elliptical coil (with proper setting) will change my opinion about the Deus in dense iron.

I made a few additional air tests with the same setting as yours. I have some US coins lying around (I find them here too).

GM-Power stock

Nickel
14kHz - 12.6"
28kHz - 11.8" (I had some EMI on this frequency)
74kHz - 12.2"

Z-Penny (1991 - relatively good shape)
14kHz - 11"
28kHz - 9.8"
74kHz - 10.2"

Dime
14kHz - 10.2"
28kHz - 8.7"
74kHz - 8.7"

Can't find a Quarter right now (I have it somewhere).

Quite a difference compared to your coil. Hmm... Actually really huge in some cases.

I have to mention that my remote control (and my black coils) was updated with a beta version (4.1 b01). I got a link from the source and never changed it. When I bought the round HF coil, I wanted to update everything one more time, but the update software ignored the white coil. When I recall correctly, I tried the v4.0 with the same result - the software doesn't even try to find the HF coil. Is that normal?

When I bought the elliptical coil, I made no updates, so it's still 4.1 b01 in the remote control and something else (probably v4.0 in the coil...), or does it work differently? Hmm... Maybe it has some influence, maybe not.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to seeing your videos (in the field).
August 15, 2017 02:54PM
You know it Del

And it won't be some armchair posted crap with a bunch of links to others reports and/or videos with me copying their words regurgitating them into my own self proclaimed report like some on this forum do/won't stop doing grinning smiley

D&P-OR Wrote:
> MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good report Keith thumbs down
> >
> > Can't wait = mine arrives Tuesday grinning smiley
>
>
> We're looking forward to a report from you on this
> also Wayne.-----Lay it on us/let us know what you
> think of it---"warts & all"! thumbs down
August 15, 2017 03:01PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> You know it Del
>
> And it won't be some armchair posted crap with a b
> unch of links to others reports and/or videos with
> me copying their words regurgitating them into my
> own self proclaimed report like some on this forum
> do/won't stop doing grinning smiley
>
>
> D&P-OR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Good report Keith thumbs down
> > >
> > > Can't wait = mine arrives Tuesday grinning smiley
> >
> >
> > We're looking forward to a report from you on th
> is
> > also Wayne.-----Lay it on us/let us know what yo
> u
> > think of it---"warts & all"! thumbs down

Righto!!!!-----Now who do yah suppose would be ah doin that??-----I'll give yah three guesses---the first two don't count!!winking smiley
August 15, 2017 04:54PM
Very nice report Keith! Paul (Old California) also had great things to say about it, even that it had PI like depth in his mineralized California sites.

Once I master my Impact, perhaps I'll try the mighty XP Dues, it certainly has a following and I see some nice finds posted found by it.

hh,
Cal
August 16, 2017 03:13PM
Just a heads up to those following this thread. The 9.5" elliptical HF is now out of stock until September sometime unless you can find a dealer with any on hand. Which will be tough since they have been selling quite well.
August 16, 2017 03:47PM
Just talked to Heath Jones of Treasure Mountain detectors. He said they have some of the 9.5 hf elliptical coils in stock. Update: Sorry guys. Heath just sent me a message. His distributor just informed him they are out now to. They are hoping by Sept.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 03:55PM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
August 16, 2017 07:58PM
I made a short hunt to try this coil at the same spot where I tested the Compadre and the round HF (the area with lots of trash, iron, coke and bad soil). I tried 30kHz, 3-Tone with 2 ("-5,4" & "3") breaks, but I increased tone DISC to "5" after a while, to make my life a little bit easier. Coke was still a nightmare, but the separation was very good and the whole hunt made lots of fun, because it was easy to "choose" the targets with the tip of this coil, while changing the angle. I wished at times, that the coil could have been a little bit shorter, but... I'm satisfied with the way it went. I would prefer to upload some video footage, to let the pictures (and audio) speak for itself, instead of me trying to describe something that everyone may percept differently (I will try to upload it in the near future).

I would like to clarify something about the weight. Keith wrote, "you don't notice it on the end of the pole", I wrote it's a small brick (to add a little bit of balance), but I think, the truth lies in the middle. In the field while hunting, the weight is withing a low range where it doesn't matter anyway. It's just the perception and the expectation at the beginning. It's like a bottle of water. When you try to lift it, the brain is adjusting the necessary strength to the image you see. When you think, the bottle is empty, but it's not, your reaction will be a little bit different... This is how I felt. The ergonomics could have been better, but I don't consider it as a problem (I'm hunting in very steep terrain, maybe that's why I'm always concern about it).
August 16, 2017 09:23PM
N/T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 09:45PM by Steve Herschbach.
August 17, 2017 12:21AM
Dang right when I was gonna get one they are gone thumbs up
August 17, 2017 01:06AM
Does the elliptical come with a lower shaft since it contains the battery?
August 17, 2017 01:45AM
Hobo Wrote:
> Does the elliptical come with a lower shaft since
> it contains the battery?

[md-hunter.com]
August 17, 2017 01:47AM
Hobo Wrote:
> Does the elliptical come with a lower shaft since
> it contains the battery?

yes, all new deus coils come with rod and hardware. The HF rod is slightly different and similar to minelab on coil end to thread coil battery cable up the shaft. battery mounts top of the shaft. Its surprising how much this 1 oz shift in weight balances!
Re: HF Elliptical Deus coil...... thoughts and ramblings HUNT UPDATE 8/16/17
August 17, 2017 03:24AM
Took the Deus HF Elliptical to a Spot that's just quit producing...its a Cavalry camp area that just beat up..By me for the last decade..I've used a ton of machines in here and about a year ago it just quit giving up even small lead..then it would just be a piece or two..

I usually stay on one little spot ...It's the spot thats has the most iron..I have ancient dig hole pock mark all in this spot..Right beside the old road bed with a big white oak tree rotted..its a really old house 1820's to about 1860's site but had to tell even by the iron since I've removed alot of the big iron over the years and there's just smaller nails left..

I was in there last week with the T2/G2+/Deus with 9 inch..left with one piece of melted lead...T2 was using the 6x9 and stock and G2+ was using the same...

So today I'm down with the Deus and HF E. coil..and the Gold Monster from Minelab..

Spent about an hour with the monster but didn't find any targets except some nails..then switched over to the Deus and for about an Hour I was really annoyed with it...I had done a ground grab and exited the screen after balanced but for some reason it kept tracking in some sort of weird slow way...the dirt is about 85-89 G.B and mineral bars are about 2/3rds up side...I dug rock after rock after rock ....
Kept jumping around with all the settings and finally realised my ground bal. was just way off and updating lower than Needed???I need to figure out why it was doing this..as Auto wasn't in use ...finally I went to regular manual G.B. like I usually do and should of done to begin with..and it calmed right down and behaved flawlessly..I had about thirty minutes of daylight left at this point and I was sort of MAD and soaking wet from my daily summer sweats..LOL....YET in the next I'd say twenty minutes of using Stock GMP mode ON PURPOSE...I found 4 targets in this site that has just gave up giving..and the targets were what I would expect to SHOW UP depth wise VS conductance wise...

I was on GMP Stock...and 28.8Khz..95 sens..

2017-08-16_09-54-07 by Keith Southern, on Flickr

I didn't dig any iron most of all it's just small nails left.. and the way the targets were sounding Im sure theres more to be had...

Now what I want to say...is the Coil has DEPTH...I mean real DEPTH...I set ground bal. up 2 points lower for the site..all targets read 98 on ID when they showed..couple of them had to pull a couple inches of dirt off top to get and ID..even to get the horseshoe to start to fill in on non ferrous side..

The pistol ball with the sprue mark was a good 7-8 inches as was the Pack stud...Had a nail in the hole with pack stud..

The lead poker chip was a good 9 inches....

The Spencer Hull was deeper than my Coil length as I could see the hull in bottom of hole and I turned coil on edge and dropped in hole and it was about an inch below surface of ground..

So all of a sudden the ground lit up with quiet but distinguishable to hear hits..

This was conservative settings and stock for a reason...The targets were weak but there..so what it tells me is by the larger sizes hearing deeper and smaller showing up shallower is that I'm still hearing targets out of reach of what I've been using on this site..and Ive used alot on here...Not slammers but still no question legitimate targets sweet whispers...I checked these targets on 14Khz and only spencer hull was a maybe dig...and I checked on 74Khz and Nothing on them....as I felt the 28.8Khz's is the sweet spot for relic size lower conductors that maybe left at depth from conventional freq's..

The way the Deus can be set up to be ground reactive through offset ground bal. and Silencer control to allow for some Audio BREAKTHROUGH Im very impressed with the Depth This coil obtains on the STUFF that's naturally left at depth..There's things left in the ground that only the RIGHT freq will lite up at depth..And hand on heart this coil/Freq. lights up targets right past what say a 18- 20Khz coil will of same size. I was worried it may not reach depth on a 30Khz Freq but the culmination of bad soil less foot print and just plain out HOT air test depths seems to hold up in the soil...Ive got this weird felling in the back of mind if theresa DEEEP gold coin in the soil like a dollar even on edge it will not escape this coil....

I hate to be overly excited about the coil ..BUT if you lived in sites and know the sites like I do from pounding on them for years and years you just learn them like the back of your hand..You can pick up on an advantage quite easily...I may go back tomorrow and use it some more on this site as the finds were so easy to come by even only four period pieces and three shotgun hull's DEEEEEP and quite a few .22 pieces of lead around 6 inches or so.. but if you knew this spot and certain area ..To me the coil acts like it Should and finds what it should...and even at depths I'm more than impressed with..

SERIOUSLY DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THIS COIL ISNT DEEP...Especially in mineral..

its a laser tight coil and very easy to fall into a real affair with it...the laser holds up at depth on separation...

it has a different report to it than stock as it should since its tighter but just adapt to it..

I used it in some modern trash black dirt 1910 site this morning .. a nightmare site..and separated well but the trash was overwhelming that read good...

This coil will be a Je. hunters choice and a RELIC HUNTERS DREAM for ancient habitation sites..

it's very EMI resilient as I was about 75 yards off the side of High Lines at a spot today and very behaved on 95 sens..

If you think you have a camp or house site that has coin sizes that are low conductors down 8-10 inches (AND YOU DO) this coil may lite them up..And you can tell it's the Freq slide up and down the range and they disappear

More info on the way..I could talk all night about it..but want more FINDS....More info..

It's a perfect marriage of depth on low conductors and steadiness and just bottom line the way it conveys target's at depth in mineral ..I couldn't be more pleased with the way it purrs along and sees stuff..

Ill bet on half dimes and such on edge they wont hide either.

Still a very specific coil but that specific in alot of sites is dead on..and till now wasn't really an option available to chase those items deeper..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 17, 2017 09:19AM
Both the HF coils are sounding interesting, are you using the goldfield program Keith? it seems the only program i can get decent depth on.
When i pump my coil i get 3/4 full on my mineral scale, and depth on dime size coins is 6"-7" at best that's with the 11" coil with maxed out settings, wish i could get more, prehaps the 9 HF is the way to go.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> SERIOUSLY DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THIS COIL ISNT
> DEEP...Especially in mineral..
>
> If you think you have a camp or house site that ha
> s coin sizes that are low conductors down 8-10 inc
> hes (AND YOU DO) this coil may lite them up..
> It's a perfect marriage of depth on low conductors
> and steadiness and just bottom line the way it con
> veys target's at depth in mineral
> Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 09:49AM by ghound.
August 17, 2017 04:06PM
No ..mostly stay in GMP mode or a modified GMP Mode I have called Ironman...

You should be getting good depth IF in bad soil you keep silencer on -1 and try to keep reactivity at 2...

Deep Program to me is the most powerful and its not just a simple settings changes program...the Deep is using Version 2.0 Filters and it's the type filtering we cant change...and the 2.0 was always the deepest one to me...will remind you of a standalone GPM 12 Volt unit if you use

As a Side note the Hot Program is Using version 3.2 Filters..

So if you want a Deus version 2.0 or 3.2 you can swap to those programs and makes changes and save them in a slot and essentially have the ability to run 2.0---3.2----4.0

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
August 17, 2017 04:36PM
I'm running v4.1, and have built my programs off Deus fast, i might do as you say and try another built off deep v2 and compare.
Goldfield is giving me a real big gain in depth.
Keith Southern Wrote:
> No ..mostly stay in GMP mode or a modified GMP Mod
> e I have called Ironman...
>
> You should be getting good depth IF in bad soil y
> ou keep silencer on -1 and try to keep reactivity
> at 2...
>
> Deep Program to me is the most powerful and its no
> t just a simple settings changes program...the Dee
> p is using Version 2.0 Filters and it's the type f
> iltering we cant change...and the 2.0 was always t
> he deepest one to me...will remind you of a standa
> lone GPM 12 Volt unit if you use
>
> As a Side note the Hot Program is Using version 3.
> 2 Filters..
>
> So if you want a Deus version 2.0 or 3.2 you can s
> wap to those programs and makes changes and save t
> hem in a slot and essentially have the ability to
> run 2.0---3.2----4.0
>
> Keith