Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detector Manufacturers -Something to Consider

Posted by Sod-buster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detector Manufacturers -Something to Consider
August 23, 2017 02:27AM
After using a multitude of metal detector models.
This recommendation here should be strongly considered by manufacturers of metal detectors.
Especially those who make more digitized units.

What I am referring to is capability for a user to be able to program a detector with hot key settings if they desire.

Manufacturers should consider how their different detector settings play into the actual use while in the field. (Big picture)
Give users ways to be able with just one push of a button to make a preprogrammed change- NOT be searching around or toggling around multiple settings to select the setting the user desires at any time.
Now I do realize due to detector ops and maybe engineering some settings would never be able to be done without jeopardizing proper operation.

Some manufacturers may be familiar with XP Deus along with its remote.
This detector is a classic example where hot key programmable capability would definitely save a person time in the field when making certain setting changes.
This recommendation if done could also maybe reduce wear on things like keypads, with fewer keys needing pushed while using.
Re: Detector Manufacturers -Something to Consider
August 23, 2017 04:21AM
The closest to what you ask for was done on the V3. It has a configurable hot bar where you could choose the settings you want to include and how they're ordered. It was a pretty clever interface, the drawback was that each of the settings were pre- set up to perhaps include extraneous stuff you might not want. That is, it still needed options to simplify what you got presented with. Hard to explain without a live demo.

I've thought of some other approaches along the lines of what you're asking for, not going to discuss them since I don't want to give anyone else a leg up. But the good news is, the guy who did all the clever hot bar stuff on the V3 works with me now at FTP.
August 23, 2017 04:28AM
Geotech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The closest to what you ask for was done on the V3
> . It has a configurable hot bar where you could ch
> oose the settings you want to include and how they
> 're ordered. It was a pretty clever interface, the
> drawback was that each of the settings were pre- s
> et up to perhaps include extraneous stuff you migh
> t not want. That is, it still needed options to si
> mplify what you got presented with. Hard to explai
> n without a live demo.
>
> I've thought of some other approaches along the li
> nes of what you're asking for, not going to discus
> s them since I don't want to give anyone else a le
> g up. But the good news is, the guy who did all th
> e clever hot bar stuff on the V3 works with me now
> at FTP.

Thanks for replying.
August 23, 2017 04:29AM
I had the V3i for about 8 years. Got it when it first came out in 2009. Mine was the original Vision version. I have to say that of all the detectors I've had in 42 years in this hobby, the closest I've seen is the Nokta Impact. Not necessarily "Hot Keys" but the easiest and quickest to make adjustments to. Everything is right there at hand and very easy to understand.
August 23, 2017 11:58AM
'....you know the USER button on the CTX: that was an idea tabled during early development but, didn't make it to the final cut due to the multitude of settings people would make, effectively making it difficult to write code for everyone under the sun!'
August 23, 2017 12:23PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> '....you know the USER button on the CTX: that was
> an idea tabled during early development but, didn'
> t make it to the final cut due to the multitude o
> f settings people would make, effectively making i
> t difficult to write code for everyone under the s
> un!'

I am not talking about do this for every setting under the sun.
As far as the CTX goes if a hot key would have allowed a user to go from manual sensivity (preset) or not by user to auto sensitivity( preset by user) and vice versa would have been nice.
Based on my use of detector.

Now Deus.
How about hot keys for preset reactivity, silencer, freq- with preset GB number, and even a whole program change (preset with all settings). Could even devise where GB number carries over if a person switches programs.

User friendly is what this is talking about.
This can separate the men from the boys too.( no offense ladies)
Especially with equal to near equal performing detectors.

And great products, I do think they take extra work.

Hard work pays off usually in the end.
August 23, 2017 01:01PM
As far as the CTX goes if a hot key would have allowed a user to go from manual sensivity (preset) or not by user to auto sensitivity( preset by user) and vice versa would have been nice.
Can't you do that on E-trac..With right arrow?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 01:03PM by mascard1.
August 23, 2017 01:27PM
Think you are asking too much...25 year old XLT's have several hot keys and many allow you to save a program but for every facet is just asking too much if I interpet your post correctly...
August 23, 2017 01:48PM
The investment just isn't worth it for the fraction of users that would utilize. If anything a detector that is smart enough to figure out all the best settings and change them dynamically on the fly would be better received. True turn on and go for everyone...with the ability to tweak of course for tweakers in a very simple and clear menu flow like you see on Dave Johnson UI's.
August 23, 2017 02:13PM
I agree with your "user friendly" concept, in theory, Sod-buster, BUT, practicality will probably dictate otherwise.

Some of the machines have a few "hot Key" type controls already. On my CTX the Pattern 1 and 2 feature I use extensively, to switch between two different preset levels of discrimination with one button, on the fly. The V3i has the live "Dashboard" I believe it's called.

I prefer the F75 screen. Every detecting function is right there on the screen at all times. Only 1 push button (menu) and 1 turn knob (setting) on the face of the detector. I can change any setting in a couple seconds.

The problem with complicated machines, with so many features that can be customized, how many "hot keys" would there be? You suggested 4 for the Deus to start. Who would determine what functions deserve a "hot key"? As Des D suggested, the "hot keys" need to be interfaced within the software. A "hot key" in many cases could effect other functions. It's probably not too practical from a design/engeneering standpoint.

I think, in terms of practicality, those of us with machines with a multitude of customized features, are gonna be stuck scrolling through menu screens. The more complicated the machine, unfortunately, the more complicated the adjusting can be.

That's the main reason I find myself reaching for my F75 more often than not. I save my CTX for situations where it's special abilities are beneficial.
August 23, 2017 03:05PM
Any and all thoughts obviously welcome here on this subject.

Wonder if I did some looking back here and on other forums.

As far as wireless headphones go.
Wonder what I would find?

Reckon there were similar comments made about them.
Like not practical, or economical to make and sell, too complicated to design/engineer.

Now where are we now?
Seems wireless headphones are becoming the norm, right?

All I can say folks aim high.
No building too tall to climb.

If we fast forward 20 years, wonder if what we consider now to be " unimportant" will be more or less common feature(s) ?

Cheers folks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 03:07PM by Sod-buster.
August 25, 2017 05:23PM
I like the configurable Live Bar on the V3 in combination with the Zoom hot key. That Zoom hot key is sweet.

HH
Mike