Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett AT Pro

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett AT Pro
September 24, 2010 01:13PM
Keep an eye out on this one. Look familiar? Also........do the features look familiar? How about the 'direction' of the platform? Frequency? How does the 'verbage' sound? Sound familiar?

I can only commend Garrett for this 'leap-of-faith' in this direction. The direction is right on target. Many folks were stunned by the .....price vs performance...... of the ACE 250 platform. Let's see what this AT Pro will do.
Re: Garrett AT Pro
September 24, 2010 05:32PM
Its a toy. Nothing more.
September 24, 2010 05:42PM
Sooo....... What is considered not a toy?
Tri
September 24, 2010 06:12PM
I believe that Tom is simply noting that there is a "change" in the RIGHT direction of this manufacturer as noted by this model, I respect his knowledge and foresight, .....I am sure there are strong biases toward different models........ So Don't Shoot the Messenger...... Tri
September 24, 2010 08:06PM
On our country where 2000 years history on the ground all Garretts are useless. Thats why i call it a toy. It can be used only in sand box. F75 and Goldmaxx power rules.
September 25, 2010 02:23AM
It sounds like you have first-hand experience/tried this completely new/innovative 'new direction' unit from Garrett. If you have the time......FILL US IN!
September 25, 2010 02:42AM
jeez.............................
September 25, 2010 10:49PM
Couldn't agree with you more Tom. I think it will take the water hunters by storm, inasmuch as the Ace 250 did for the low end detector market did. Great for wading depth, salt water mode and target ID. IMHO, what Garrett may lack in engineering, they more than make up for in marketing...
September 25, 2010 11:42PM
It would not be unrealistic to see a company that.............otherwise.............releases 'average' performance products................to.................by no accident...........once in a while.......release a Ferrari. A paradigm shift can be quite 'sweeping'......and does happen. The Timex watch is a prime example of this. Xerox is another. I'm uncertain if the AT Pro is 'sweeping'.........but.......it might be.......and certainly commendable for the corporate direction.
September 26, 2010 03:57AM
So Tom are you going to test this machine? I do hope you will test the G2 also is that going to happen?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 03:34PM by Lawrenzo.
September 26, 2010 06:08AM
certainly a step in the 'right" direction as far as 'color" goes!..beats hell
out of "puke" color green!,and the "bong" tone!

(h.h!)
j.t.
take a look Garrett AT Pro field test find's
September 26, 2010 03:54PM
and notice the small stuff especially the ancient gold pendant in the bottom left and the romain chain in the upper right pic...[www.garrett.com]
very hard target's on a contaminated site I'm sure!!

also looking through the pages of info the pro audio coupled with the user tone break assignment has piqued my curiosity!

Scary at this price point!

Keith
September 27, 2010 02:05AM
Heck, I'm just happy to see Garrett is finally making a detector not GREEN!
September 27, 2010 02:59PM
AT Pro looks like it may be a winner. Waiting to see field reports of people using them in the U.S. Hope it can ground balance to salt water beaches in and out of the water. Also hope it works as well as my GB SE, seems to have the same platform.
September 27, 2010 07:28PM
Yes, , , I'm hoping it is ...as good as............or better than the T2.....IRT relic hunting and/or prospecting. It sure would be nice to see the company finally have a 'world-class' entrant......albeit...only one.
September 28, 2010 02:17AM
Better then the T2 wow that would be so strange to see that from the big G...but I am waiting on the G2

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 03:33PM by Lawrenzo.
Yeah LowBoy to beat the T-2 would be tough but
September 28, 2010 02:53AM
maybe Garrett is wanting to get serious?? And at this price point I bet we see something above this before too long from them....I am still skeptical about it being able to perform since Garret has a poor track record for mineralized dirt...... but things can change with a blink of an eye...

Heck they might of picked up a new Engineer ..Lot's of people out of work right now....Corporations could really take advantage of the economical times right now and get hold of some technology that's usually above there financial resources..

I hope it's a solid performer...I love competition...especially of it's good ol American competition...If people( Corporation's) had the drive they had in Post WW2 America we could really see some amazing thing's come to light in all areas of technology...

Maybe this recession will get the U.S. hungry for some good old fashioned competitive design's at a realistic price??

Keith Southern
Re: Yeah LowBoy to beat the T-2 would be tough but
September 29, 2010 12:53AM
Keith..........you hit the nail on the head.

.......and/or.... maybe they had some form of external engineering consultant input.
September 29, 2010 02:01AM
Looks like the AT Pro is going to be a big seller for Garrett......... I hope it is as good as every thing i read about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 02:03AM by keppy.
engineer Dimitar I believe his name was?? He did some real nice design's before they were bought out....That guy seemed to know what he was doing....Maybe he will re-surface one day with a company willing to spend some money on design's???

Thanks

Keith
Dimitar = Fisher Research Laboratory.
September 30, 2010 06:14AM
You're right, Tom. When I first saw pictures and specs of this detector - the coil, the ID numbers, frequency, heck even the color, I thought maybe Garrett was going to change their name to Second Texas...

Bill Revis posted on another forum that the Garrett engineers did a demo for the engineers and he said it has twice the depth of the Ace 250.

We should all hope this detector does signal a significant jump in performance for Garrett, which of course will push other manufacturers to do the same.
September 30, 2010 12:00PM
I fully applaud their bold undertaking and can only encourage their bravery for this 'leap-of-faith' into the top-end 'niche' market. This is to say; vesting a large sum of money into engineering.............not knowing if the final resultant platform/product will function per design (subsequently; how will it compete)................then, applying the product into a 'niche' world......hoping to ascertain ROI. KUDO's for this concerted effort. With open arms, I welcome engineering marvels..............and will highlight/excentuate any/all of its accolades.

Lest we incarcerate ourselves into Brand-Loyalty.

"To go where no man has gone before".

Tom
October 01, 2010 10:03PM
Seems like some of the people here have a beef with Garrett machines. I have had a 2500 and a 1500 for around 10 years-ZERO PROBLEMS-and I know either one will work when I take them out detecting. Either one of them would smoke the FTP CZ3D I HAD and the discrimination on them actually functions which I can say never did on the CZ3D,could barely hit a dime at 8 inches also.The Tekentics O8 I purchased CAME with a bad disc pot/switch and it had to go back to the factory and I HAD to pay the shipping to send it back.First Texas and their quality control are horrible.I'm not brand loyal,Heck I still hunt with a Compass XPPRO+ occasionally,but really,from a company that makes trash like Bounty Hunters what can you expect.
October 02, 2010 02:49AM
Sounds like you had a bad 3D. Were all hitting dimes easily with 5 inch coils at 7-8 inches. My 3D and 70 Pro are my favorite machines.
October 02, 2010 04:12AM
"but really,from a company that makes trash like Bounty Hunters what can you expect."

with this comment, i think everyone knows how useless your post is!!!!
October 02, 2010 01:59PM
That company you refer to as makes trash is not a fair statement.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

October 02, 2010 02:55PM
I think this new machine from Garrett will be a best seller.
I dont jump on Holy Grail hype with any machine and try yo make up my mind from what i see myself when I own one.

This is a midpriced detector, it is waterproof with ID capability and that is a true first....

Waterproof and still you can chose your own headphones and change batteries easy.
And,, finally there is a " make the boing go away " button...... I LOVE THAT...

For the price, many many customers will be satisfied, Garrett will have their production going fast and steady for a long time...
And it challenges the other manufacturers designers...

For us detectorists, it is a winner no matter how you like to see it.
Is it the Holy Grail ? No but
October 02, 2010 09:07PM
it is a step in the right direction for Garrett that other manufacturer's ought to follow suit.....not Copy But follow suit with at least the customers are asking for something and they are giving it...

Garrett has always aimed at the coin shooter market since Mr. Garrett is an avid coin chaser...But at least they are venturing out....and trying to offer a more relic, type machine...

Still no all metal mode but that may come in later offerings if they listen....Speed ? Not like a First Texas or MXT....Depth ?What I hear pretty good for a disc only circuit but deep target's still tricky like any other disc machine...( Still takes a tuned ear on the deep stuff)

Maybe the Audio with the way it can separate from one target to another blending/Shaping in the pro mode will offer something in the way a trashy park coin shooter would put to use... I have heard in the field test the blending helped find a Eagle C Button next to a pull tab so if you cant dig it all that might be of a beneficial nature Especially where a lot of holes being dug is not an option...Does like lower conductor's so the jewelry hunter ought to like it for sure with the audio option in a trashy beach environ...

I wish them the best But I do not believe the Machine will out do some other offering we already have ( That are now dated but work ) for pure relic type hunting...But maybe the next unit will???

at least they are on board with a new configuration and that's what count's... You have to have a good platform to work off of and develop from...Heck this stuff is not easy from Paper to working unit....

Keith
Re: Is it the Holy Grail ? No but
October 02, 2010 10:17PM
Keith, note the first line of the second part "Pro Mode Audio" (for what it's worth, I know it's not an all metal mode, but interesting if it's more than just modulated?)
Any of these features catch anyone's eye? I like the multiple search modes (3 standard and 3 pro). Wish my Omega had a bit more, in particular to check bottle caps as the pro mode does with the "roll" sound. The adjustable mid tone signal range sounds great under "iron audio"

Long thread with lots of comments if anyone is interested: [www.findmall.com].

Garret AT PRO
SPECIFICATIONS and KEY FEATURES

-Target ID Cursor Segments: 20
-Iron Discrimination Segments: 40 (select 0 to 39)
-Accept/Reject Notch Discrimination: YES
-Search Modes: 6 (3 Standard, 3 Pro modes)
-Sensitivity/Depth Adjustments: 8
-Electronic Pinpointing: YES
-Frequency: 15 kHz
-Audio Tone ID Levels: 3
-Standard Searchcoil: 8.5" x 11" DD PROformance
-Length (Adjustable): 42" to 51" (1.06m - 1.29m)
-Total Weight: 3.03 lbs. (1.4 kgs.)
-Batteries: 4 AA (included)
-Warranty 2 Year, Limited Parts/Labor

-Pro Mode Audio: Proportional Audio and Tone Roll Audio features allow the user to hear characteristics of a target as they would in a True All-Metal Mode.
-High-Res Iron Discrimination: Use touchpads to set iron discrimination in one of 40 levels for precise ability to separate good targets from trash.
-Digital Target ID: 0 to 99 Target ID scale offers increased ability to distinguish one targets conductivity from another.
-Iron Audio: Allows the user to hear discriminated iron and to alter the detectors mid-tone signals range
-Fast Recovery Speed: Allows greater ability to pick out good targets amongst trash
-All Terrain Versatility: Weatherproof housing designed for dusty, humid or wet environments; unit can be submerged to a maximum 10-foot depth.
-15 kHz frequency: improved detection of small targets, gold nuggets, jewelry
-Ground Balance: automatic and manually adjustable for improved performance
-Graphic Target Analyzer (GTA): identifies targets conductivity
-Continuous Coin Depth Indicator: to determine target depth
-Battery Condition Indicator: shows battery life continually Search Modes (Discrimination Patterns): 6 plus electronic pinpointing
-Select from Custom, Zero or Coins in Standard Mode or in Professional Mode
-Pinpoint

25cm = 9.84 Inches