Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
September 17, 2017 05:29PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good and Light!!
>
> Thanks goodness the coils are not wireless..
>
>
> Wonder if the Multi freq is BBS or just the freqs
> all at once that you can select individually ??Hop
> e its BBS
>
>
> Look slike minelab still likes those enormous coil
> s for stock...
>

> should be a 6 inch option I hope...
>
> 6 inch and 20Khz should be about right for dissect
> ing..
>
> I see a horseshoe icon wonder if that's iron mask
> on/off??Hope it has full range disc and 99 tones..
> .
>
> Keith

There were 6" and 8x12 coil options for the Equinox mentioned by one of the Minlab guys at the festival.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 05:33PM by Cabin Fever.
September 17, 2017 05:32PM
Equinox1a by Calcobra, on Flickr

Equinox1b by Calcobra, on Flickr
September 17, 2017 05:36PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Be honest, how many targets did those features fin
> d you?
>

On Target Trace, many many Many coins. The GPS is harder to quantify, but retrieving targets later in frozen ground, finding my way in the woods/fields to the exact spot I left years ago, and being able to see that my grid was quite wobbly and be able to fill in the gaps...............well, I think you get the pic if you care to.
September 17, 2017 05:57PM
Brandon Niece did a speed test, claims it is faster then the Dues XP:

[youtu.be]
September 17, 2017 05:57PM
The Equinox doesn't need to be the best performing detector at any one given task.
I predict the Equinox will be the best ALL AROUND detector on the market by a good margin though.
It WILL perform very good. Minelab knows their $h!t..
I just bought a Monster 1000 recently for nugget hunting..
It looks weird and toy like but once you use it, you don't want to use any other VLF for that task..
It just flat out performs and its simplicity is genius...
I'm an FBS user for coin hunting. I'm always wanting some fast detector to complement my E-Trac
for when I get on an old house site full of nails.
If the Equinox performs it might be the only detector I need, or it might be the ultimate companion to my E-Trac.
I'm getting one for sure. I'm confident in Minlab performance.. I bet the competition is shell shocked.
Name one detector at this price level that comes close to these features...

Ya I'm excited... Can you tell?
Bryan
September 17, 2017 06:01PM
One for sale that matches its announced features? - none.

The Equinox isn't for sale either. When it is and when thousands of units are in the hands of users, we will see where it fits in.

I'm not pessimestic about it, but recent history suggests that from announcement to delivery can be a rocky road.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 07:14PM by lytle78.
September 17, 2017 06:02PM
OK then!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 09:50PM by Alpha Goat.
September 17, 2017 06:03PM
Sorry for the re-post of this video.. I now see it was posted above.

Speed test video..

[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 06:14PM by Cabin Fever.
September 17, 2017 06:33PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Brandon Niece did a speed test, claims it is faste
> r then the Dues XP:
>
> [youtu.be]

the test with iron was impresive to hit at all
September 17, 2017 06:35PM
"The only thing about what I've seen thus far that I do not like are the 'search location graphics'
I think they're silly and 'cheapen' it to a Tandy standard.
I'm glad the box photos showed the actual locations as I was perplexed if the 'Field' was 'an electrical pylon or a windmill?'
Now I see it's a 'windmill' which, will probably make this a very popular detector with our Dutch friends!

Joking aside, I hope they drop those awful graphics / icons"
September 17, 2017 06:57PM
Ya I'm not a fan of them either.
I'm afraid we are stuck in an icon/emoji world now.

Bryan
September 17, 2017 06:59PM
Park, Field, Beach, Gold...

They forgot the woods!
September 17, 2017 07:08PM
Des D Wrote:
> "The only thing about what I've seen thus far that
> I do not like are the 'search location graphics'
> I think they're silly and 'cheapen' it to a Tandy
> standard.

I thought the same thing in my head when I scene them made me thing of the go-finds
September 17, 2017 07:21PM
I would love to see some video of the Equinox working in Multi freq. Any word on if it will have ferrous or conductive tone selection?

Dean
September 17, 2017 07:21PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

> I do reserve one primary question: If the Equinox'
> multi-freq option is so spectacular.......... then
> why is there still a need for all of the other sin
> gle-freq options. (( I reserve plenty of speculate
> d answers. ))
>
> Technological advancements are welcomed with open
> arms!

I think it's just marketing to have access to the single freqs, if/when I get one I would imagine I'd only use it in multi...

also, I really hope Brandon's statement is correct
September 17, 2017 07:25PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I do reserve one primary question: If the Equino
> x'
> > multi-freq option is so spectacular.......... th
> en
> > why is there still a need for all of the other s
> in
> > gle-freq options. (( I reserve plenty of specula
> te
> > d answers. ))
> >
> > Technological advancements are welcomed with ope
> n
> > arms!
>
> I think it's just marketing to have access to the
> single freqs, if/when I get one I would imagine I'
> d only use it in multi...
>
> also, I really hope Brandon's statement is correct

Agreed. Unless, working in heavy trash....The single freqs tend to be much faster. FBS, for example, isn't great at " un-masking".

Dean
September 17, 2017 07:43PM
canslawhero Wrote:

>
> also, I really hope Brandon's statement is correct

I don't think the single frequencies are "just marketing "

If I'm park hunting for deep coins I'm probably in multi freq.
If I'm sniping bedrock for tiny gold nuggets I'm probably in 40khz single freq.
Different tools for different tasks and conditions..
That's why I think the Equinox will be the Best All Around detector on the market.
Just my speculation at this point but I'm pretty confident in that statement knowing Minelab.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 07:59PM by Cabin Fever.
September 17, 2017 08:16PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I do reserve one primary question: If the Equino
> x'
> > multi-freq option is so spectacular.......... th
> en
> > why is there still a need for all of the other s
> in
> > gle-freq options. (( I reserve plenty of specula
> te
> > d answers. ))
> >
> > Technological advancements are welcomed with ope
> n
> > arms!
>
>
> also, I really hope Brandon's statement is correct.

"It's the >deeper than ctx<, comment needing clarification - not the waterproof Q which is '3 metres' ???
September 17, 2017 08:23PM
The equinox will go great with my ATMax. Loved my Xterra 705 and hated to let it go but looks like it will work itself out. winking smiley.
September 17, 2017 08:30PM
How will the 40khz work toward "micro jewelry" hunting. Is that high enough to work? Just add the elliptical coil and another use appears!
September 17, 2017 08:51PM
First, Steveg, EXCELLENT post about the strengths of the FBS platform, and why it's your preferred technology. Sounds like we hunt the same types of spots, and have the exact same needs from a unit. I couldn't agree with you more, and I've been saying for years that there are a TON of speed/separation units on the market, as there are depth units. But Minelab offers an amalgam of both, offering the depth AND accurate ID at depth, which is unrivaled, IMO.

Goodmore, your statement/comparison of the Safari is spot on. My entree into multiple frequency was the Safari, mainly because I hate fiddling with settings. I ran one for a few years (my only machine) and knew it like the back of my hand. As you said, it essentially gets the same depth as the Etrac & CTX, and I know that because I hunted with many who used the higher end units. I kept up with them just fine. When I did get edged out, it was mainly due to the Etrac & CTX's faster processors, and the ability to separate better, which is why I finally purchased an Etrac. But in terms of raw depth, you are 100% correct.

Field performance might prove otherwise, but the specs on the Equinox are AMAZING. I rarely get excited about new units, but this one seems extraordinary. However...

As others have noted, I don't like the fact that the Equinox lost the FE/CO information. That (along with the faster processor) is why I moved up from a Safari to an Etrac. I like having as much information about a target as possible, so I can make a dig/no dig decision, and the lack of a FE/CO readout stinks, IMO. On the other hand...

Having the added speed of the Equinox will help better unmask items, so I guess it'll all even out in the end. But here's a question which is gnawing at me, for all those more technically savvy than I...

Normally, one has to choose between great depth & speed. They do not go hand-in-hand. It's a trade-off. Because the Equinox is a multiple frequency unit, it will surely get respectable depth (Etrac/CTX?), but I've seen the speed of this thing and it is FAST, too. So, is it possible Minelab has cracked the code? Or will depth be compromised to some degree? If it's the same depth as Etrac or CTX WITH the speed I've seen in a few videos, holy moly!!!

I know many are basing the effectiveness of the Equinox on the price, which is fine, and I do it myself, but...

I think Minelab is finally starting to wisen up. There are VERY few hardcore users like us who will spend $1,200+ on a detector. And this hobby is small enough to begin with. The REAL money is in the mass market. I never liked the Ace series, but Garrett sold a TON of them and made a mint. Maybe Minelab now understands it is better to control a LARGE piece of the market at a cheaper price, than a smaller piece of the market at an exorbitant price.

Bottom line, the specs on this thing are killer, and if the field performance comes even close to matching them, this will be a huge grand slam for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 08:53PM by njnydigger.
September 17, 2017 08:52PM
ShovelNose Wrote:
> How will the 40khz work toward "micro jewelry" hu
> nting. Is that high enough to work? Just add the e
> lliptical coil and another use appears!

At 45khz the Minelab Monster picks up gold flakes and non ferrous targets so small it's hard to believe..
If anything you might have to turn down the sensitivity on the Equinox at 40 kHz for micro Jewlery hunting.
Tiny flakes of foil set off the monster.
Bryan
September 17, 2017 08:57PM
Des....... if its running like the DFX....... 5 and 15 Khz i dont see it being deeper than the CTX. It could be more sensitive...... but that may be determined by its salt setting..
September 17, 2017 08:59PM
That speed test video is great! Wonder if that was in multi freq mode? If it was this new multi freq tech is gonna be awesome!!! I'm on the list for a 600 and 800 I think these are gonna be awesome machines. However , I think Minelab is on a new path with giving US what WE need and pushing detector technology to its limits, I can't wait to hear what this new multi IQ really means and if it's gonna be better than or replace BBS/FBS tech, hmmm... Lightning fast intelegent multi frequency , this is a game changer for sure. Thanks

John
September 17, 2017 09:03PM
Again, it all comes down to how the multi freq is incorporated into the detector. I think the closest detector we have had to this one in terms of freq select with multi freq option is the Whites V3i. If this Equinox machine behaves similar to that one, you can expect the single freqs to be overall deeper than the multi freq option (in dirt, not wet sand). That's how it is on the V3i. With the multi freq selected, the benefits were overall better ID and stability, but at the cost of some depth, and I'm talking in inches and not just 1/8 or 1/4 inch differences. I personally found the mid freq to be the best overall for me on the V3i, and never had a use for the multi or other two single freq options. I can't help but wonder if it will be something similar on the Equinox OR if Minelab has figured something out and it truly is a game changer.
September 17, 2017 09:30PM
".... great depth & speed. They do not go hand-in-hand. Because the Equinox is a multiple frequency unit, it will surely get respectable depth, but I've seen the speed of this thing and it is FAST, too. So, is it possible Minelab has cracked the code?"

I'm pretty sure it's not using any BBS/FBS method, or they would clearly say so in their literature.
If it's using some Whites DFX type of operation, then both freqs are used simultaneously, so in principle both can be processed continuously like a single-freq machine, hence it should be capable of fast operation in Multi-IQ. What freqs it uses will have some affect on what it's 'good' at. If it's 5k/15k or 5k/25k, then it will be a good high-conductor hunter. But it could plausibly do 10k/30k, which would be a more general-purpose choice.

I think the IQ part of Multi-IQ is not suggesting how Intelligent it is, but is alluding to the mathematical I and Q, representing the two quadrature (90 degrees apart) components of the signal, (which are then demodulated, a key part of most metal detector workings)
September 17, 2017 09:32PM
A clue to the type of Multi-freq could be deduced from the picture Bryan posted,.

Multi-IQ

"Intelligent Multi-Frequency"

"Simultaneous Multi-Frequency Technology"

On the face of it, this sounds different from previous designs that use the fundamental and harmonic frequencies for ground cancelation and target ID. Either simultaneous transmission of multiple discrete frequencies or transmission in series of multiple frequencies. It's possible the logic could also determine which frequencies to use based on ground conditions with advanced software to process the target signal(s).

Processing power gets cheaper by the minute and ML may have (hopefully) hit onto something.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
September 17, 2017 09:43PM
What's being missed is Minelab had VLF Multi Frequency for years!!!
'3F' on the older XT17000 and more recent, 'Eureka'
But of course these were Single Frequency Sine Wave Technology.

'Equinox' is new: probably a mix of VFlex and BBS2 - 2 because it's 40kHz & the old BBS was to 25.5

But, it cannot utilise the 'Smartfind /Smartfind 2', FE & CO co-ordinates because it's still a Single frequency sine wave and not a MF rectangular wave transmission with advanced signal analysis. Hence, it puts up just the CO portion of the signal.

So it's not a multi frequency system that we know and love from FBS/2 but a new one they have called 'IQ Multi Frequency, and that's where the by now well touted Patent, differentiates the Equinox into a new genre. I heavily suspect it's an amalgamation of older BBS and VFlex = 6F

There is one more thing I'm wondering about?
When changing from frequency up or down, will it be necessary to GB ( as per best practice ) or, will it GB like 'Presto!'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 09:53PM by Des D.
September 17, 2017 10:03PM
Needs an auto setting for reactivity. Could be smarter than most people (myself included) for best performance n machine gun iron.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
September 17, 2017 10:23PM
Des D Wrote:
> What's being missed is Minelab had VLF Multi Frequ
> ency for years!!!
> '3F' on the older XT17000 and more recent, 'Eureka
> '
> But of course these were Single Frequency Sine Wav
> e Technology.
>
> 'Equinox' is new: probably a mix of VFlex and BBS2
> - 2 because it's 40kHz & the old BBS was to 25.5
>
> But, it cannot utilise the 'Smartfind /Smartfind 2
> ', FE & CO co-ordinates because it's still a Singl
> e frequency sine wave and not a MF rectangular wav
> e transmission with advanced signal analysis. Henc
> e, it puts up just the CO portion of the signal.
>
> So it's not a multi frequency system that we know
> and love from FBS/2 but a new one they have called
> 'IQ Multi Frequency, and that's where the by now w
> ell touted Patent, differentiates the Equinox into
> a new genre. I heavily suspect it's an amalgamatio
> n of older BBS and VFlex = 6F
>
> There is one more thing I'm wondering about?
> When changing from frequency up or down, will it b
> e necessary to GB ( as per best practice ) or, wil
> l it GB like 'Presto!'

Des,

Within all of the technical stuff you said, which I can follow but barely (with no background in electronics), you seem to be describing what I was trying to allude to from "observation/experience" using FBS. There is something different going on there with the FE and CO, such that a single-frequency unit can't "pull out" those two different components (only -- essentially -- the "CO" part). I didn't know how to say it, or "technically" what is happening there, but you alluded to it I think by talking "sine wave" versus "rectangular wave" transmissions (and I recall vaguely reading some of this before, though it was over my head). My non-electronics-educated mind says that on a single-frequency VLF unit, iron in the ground "pulls" the ID numerically downward, away from its "air test" value, with the effect being more and more pronounced degradation of ID with depth. Meanwhile, it seems that with FBS, the "soil iron-induced deterioration" of the target ID seems to be largely confined to the FE number, while the CO number is left to be more accurate through the entire depth capability of the unit.

I don't know ANYTHING about BBS, nor about VFlex. BUT, it seems to me that you are pretty much confirming the idea that for those of us that love FBS, and the way we can glean so much target information from separate FE and CO readouts, we will NOT have that, with this "multi IQ" style of multi-frequency operation. As such, I would have to believe that we will also, then, lose at least some of the ID accuracy with depth that FBS users have come to really appreciate and depend on. Obviously, this is speculation, but it is of major importance to me and the sites I typically hunt. And if I am correct here, this means I would most likely NOT buy the Equinox. I love all of the things it looks like it will do, I love the package (lightweight, wireless, waterproof), and I love the price. But I cannot sacrifice my FBS performance. I LOVE what it looks like I would gain, from the Equinox, that my Explorer can't do, but I would still be left having to own TWO machines to effectively "old coin hunt" (one for superb ID with depth, and one with superb performance on partially iron-masked coins).

Minelab, I am not too proud to beg, LOL -- PLEASE throw us FBS users one last bone...make an Equinox, with all the great features it looks like it will contain, but -- with the option of switching it into "FBS mode" at the press of a button. You have come SO FAR in the direction of our wishes/complaints, with an affordable, lightweight machine, that is also waterproof, wireless, multi-frequency, etc...how about considering an "Equinox 1000" model, that contains an "FBS mode," including FE and CO readout, and Explorer/E-Trac tones. It doesn't have to be a full, flagship, CTX-obsoleting FBS machine. But something with "Safari-like or Explorer-like" functionality wrapped into the Equinox package? Put a $999 price tag on it, and you will pull in a WHOLE BUNCH of old-coin-hunting detectorists that, right now, need TWO machines -- an Explorer/E-Trac for depth/ID, and a second, fast recovery, great-in-iron machine like a Deus. Put both of these capabilities into the Equinox? Grand-slam homerun, in my books, and it's the one thing that would pry my Explorer from my hands...

Steve

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2017 11:16PM by steveg.