Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
November 17, 2017 03:38PM
Aurelic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We know from previous FBS detectors that they are
> limited when it comes to picking out small/thin lo
> w conductors.

"I wouldn't necessarily agree with that Statement?

I 'primarily', hunt for Low > Medium conductors: you just have to work [ a tad 'slower' ] that's all.

I have 2 requirements in any New machine.

1. Target ID at depth in heavy iron - the EQX is 'promising' this.

2. Extra sensitivity to 'Low Conductor's', - the EQX is 'promising' this.

One of the best in the deep pasture heavy iron scenario above is my 'E Trac'

One of the worst in the deep pasture heavy iron scenario above is my 'Deus'

IF, that's 'if' the EQX can pull off that feat I'll be a very happy man!"
November 19, 2017 04:16AM
I have been following this thread with great interest, but so far have not joined in. For all of you electronics experts I would like to pose a question regarding the inclusion of both single frequencies and multi-frequency in the Nox. I wonder if this would be useful for identifying bottle caps? The FBS technology with the 2D screens are great at this, but a 1D screen would seem to have less ability in this area. I wonder if a quick push button change to a low frequency, say 5 kHz would work for this purpose. Folks that use the Deus switch from a higher frequency to 4kHz and see how the TID changes (higher or same number = cap, lower number = coin) to ID caps. On my V3i, caps ID as quarters or dimes, but in pinpoint mode they hit the hardest on 22.5 kHz and the least on 2.5 kHz, which is the opposite behavior compared to a coin. Any thoughts on this?
November 19, 2017 04:25AM
Des D Wrote:
>
> "I wouldn't necessarily agree with that Statement?
>
> I 'primarily', hunt for Low > Medium conductors: you just have to work [ a tad 'slower' ] that's all
> .
>
> I have 2 requirements in any New machine.
>
> 1. Target ID at depth in heavy iron - the EQX is promising' this.
>
> 2. Extra sensitivity to 'Low Conductor's', - the EQX is 'promising' this.
>
> One of the best in the deep pasture heavy iron scenario above is my 'E Trac'
>
> One of the worst in the deep pasture heavy iron scenario above is my 'Deus'
>
> IF, that's 'if' the EQX can pull off that feat I'll be a very happy man!"

I find that an interesting statement, because by all accounts the Etrac/Explorer machines (not sure on the CTX, haven't followed them), are not great in iron due to their nulling and slow reset rates, are you detecting in TTF mode?
November 19, 2017 02:53PM
'BigSkyGuy',
That's a great Tip. That could work???
When we eventually get it into our hands, we can then experiment with our own 'coil interrogation skills', as moving the coil around the target can produce different reactions.
I've seen this very recently with the "Rutus Alter 71", and the "Garrett AT Pro"

Cal,
I've been around the FBS machines considerably longer than anyone else so I might have an unfair advantage because I was involved with developing them.
No. Not TTF. That doesn't suit 'Euro' detecting.
Conductive Sounds
With a little bit of Iron Disc active.

It always amazed me when talking to the '100's' of owners I met at Rally events who hadn't even made a single alteration to a setting!
Some were afraid to! I've got two pals who detect with Explorer's in the Factory Default Coins screen!
So that's where [ the slow reaction ] hearsay came from: from guys who never experimented with their machines.
Set right, the FBS machines can be very good, even in tough irony areas"
November 19, 2017 03:28PM
The E-TRAC is actually quite good in the iron if it is set up properly and the operator slows down. A multi freq unit that has fast recovery speed will be even better. If that's the only thing that the Nox has to offer...it's a winner.

Dean
November 19, 2017 06:13PM
If the Equinox is an “X-terra Evolved” then bottlecaps will not be a problem.
These days I dig them, certainly on the beach. Especially if any coinage is found in the vicinity.

When park hunting the 705 gave a warbly sound to the high tone. And the tip of the coil trick is near 100% sure.

The 705 had another trick up it’s sleeve, something I picked up from the writings of Des D.
You watch the numbers drop when pinpointing the target.

All speculation though because we at this point don’t know if it’s an X-terra Evolved.
And detectors tend to teach you how they like to be run.

BigSkyGuy Wrote:
> I have been following this thread with great inter
> est, but so far have not joined in. For all of you
> electronics experts I would like to pose a questio
> n regarding the inclusion of both single frequenci
> es and multi-frequency in the Nox. I wonder if thi
> s would be useful for identifying bottle caps? The
> FBS technology with the 2D screens are great at th
> is, but a 1D screen would seem to have less abilit
> y in this area. I wonder if a quick push button ch
> ange to a low frequency, say 5 kHz would work for
> this purpose. Folks that use the Deus switch from
> a higher frequency to 4kHz and see how the TID cha
> nges (higher or same number = cap, lower number =
> coin) to ID caps. On my V3i, caps ID as quarters o
> r dimes, but in pinpoint mode they hit the hardest
> on 22.5 kHz and the least on 2.5 kHz, which is the
> opposite behavior compared to a coin. Any thoughts
> on this?

HH
Johnb
November 19, 2017 08:02PM
Des D Wrote:
> Cal,
> I've been around the FBS machines considerably lon
> ger than anyone else so I might have an unfair adv
> antage because I was involved with developing them
> .
> No. Not TTF. That doesn't suit 'Euro' detecting.
> Conductive Sounds
> With a little bit of Iron Disc active.
>
> It always amazed me when talking to the '100's' of
> owners I met at Rally events who hadn't even made
> a single alteration to a setting!
> Some were afraid to! I've got two pals who detect
> with Explorer's in the Factory Default Coins scree
> n!
> So that's where [ the slow reaction ] hearsay came
> from: from guys who never experimented with their
> machines.
> Set right, the FBS machines can be very good, even
> in tough irony areas"

Thanks Des. I hope you're getting an Equinox, and look forward to any words of wisdom you can share on it if you do get one.
November 21, 2017 11:21PM
Steve Herschbach
It just makes sense that a detector that genuinely processes multiple frequencies is going to have a better chance of having interference on at least one of the frequencies. And that choosing one specific frequency would be a way to mitigate that.

And how would a user know which frequency is causing trouble? We’ve never seen that information on Minelab’s earlier platforms.

Could you really see a Minelab screen output: "Upper bound of the ratio between the RMS roundoff error and RMS value of the output exceeded. Please correct the error in the Fast Fourier Transform by minimizing the floating point runoff error by choosing a fixed frequency that optimizes the complex exponentials."

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 25, 2017 09:05AM
Multifrequency should clearly identify plugs from beer bottles, but not aluminum.
/ IMHO /

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 07:00AM by vfp7.
November 25, 2017 03:46PM
Sorry but I don't see all the Hype over this unit? I mean it's still a Single Frequency Xterra in a F75, Racer type Body that's seems to be the New rage for some reason?
Also when is it coming out as seems like this thread has been going for a Year. Ha.
November 25, 2017 04:50PM
"Sorry but I don't see all the Hype over this unit?"

I guess you over-looked the important details while skimming the thread:

* It's selectable single frequency ( like the Deus, Impact)
* It's multi-frequency ( akin to Fisher CZ / WhitesDFX/V3 / ML Sovereign)
* It's a reasonable weight (unlike some other ML products)
* It's waterproof (like an outdoor piece of electronics ought to be)
* It has cordless headphone capability
* It's priced reasonably, considering the specs and the price of competitors products.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 04:52PM by Pimento.
November 25, 2017 05:15PM
Well did not know it was a Multi Frequency. My Bad then.
Maybe it will lite a fire under FT to come out with that New Multi Frequency We have heard about for Years.
November 27, 2017 12:56AM
Post was made in error.
Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 01:07AM by Sod-buster.
November 27, 2017 11:53AM
Another thought; Is it a single frequency on the EQ that 'obsoletes' all other single frequency machines ....... or is it one of the multi-frequency options that'll 'obsolete' all other single freq units?
November 27, 2017 12:21PM
I would think that if the multi frequency would obselete single frequency then there would be no reason for the single frequency option on the Equinox. Unless of course their single frequency options out class other manufactures single frequency options. I think minelab is just saying we are giving you what the other top manufacturers are giving you and the added option of multi frequency on top. Therefore why would you need anything else? We all know though that just about any detector can go behind other ones and find missed items.
November 27, 2017 12:33PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Another thought; Is it a single frequency on the E
> Q that 'obsoletes' all other single frequency mach
> ines ....... or is it one of the multi-frequency o
> ptions that'll 'obsolete' all other single freq u
> nits?

This word obsolete Minelab uses troubles me a bit.

Did Minelab have access to Deus and HF coils to see performance before they made this statement?

If it's multi freq option that INDEED obsoletes, this would be mind blowing for me.
That would suggest to me Equinox has capability to either ID properly or just alert on nonferrous period better than all.

But, here is some thing maybe we should all keep in our thoughts.

CTX 3030, remember it is unusual, meaning it can detect visually (not tonrally per SE) nonferrous objects in iron through use of screen data if a person will watch.

Has Minelab improved this here getting the data into the audio with Equinox?
And shutting the iron down tonally.

If using multi freq is the obsoleter, this also suggests to me, Equinox is capable of performing with using actual less data.

To this date, has any (true) multi freq been a top tier separator unmasker in and around iron and nails??
When operated in multi freq mode.

So Minelab gives users the added bonus of being able to run single freq option.
Good news here.

This obsoleting, are we talking about depth, or ID at depth, or detection of nonferrous in ferrous, or the weight of the detector as far as what it can do and being waterproof to boot.
Meaning total package obsoleting.
Like multiple detectors all built into one.
Equal performance can mean obsolete, I think folks when they see this word obsolete could instantly think superior.

Did/will Equinox also obsolete Etrac and CTX as far as detection of nonferrous in and around ferrous, especially lower conductors???

Last thing here.
What about concentric coil useage?
Concentric coils on the right detector do have some advantage.
So are they made obsolete as well?
I guess I will find out soon enough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 12:49PM by Sod-buster.
November 27, 2017 12:45PM
Pimento Wrote:
> "Sorry but I don't see all the Hype ov
> er this unit?"

>
> I guess you over-looked the important details whil
> e skimming the thread:
>
> * It's selectable single frequency ( like the Deus
> , Impact)
> * It's multi-frequency ( akin to Fisher CZ / White
> sDFX/V3 / ML Sovereign)
> * It's a reasonable weight (unlike some other ML p
> roducts)
> * It's waterproof (like an outdoor piece of electr
> onics ought to be)
> * It has cordless headphone capability
> * It's priced reasonably, considering the specs an
> d the price of competitors products.

I sure hope they can deliver on what they promise because it will have a big IMPACT if all what they say is true. I'm going to wisely sit back and wait for some real reviews from some trusted reviewers before I jump in blindly with both feet. Another few weeks of waiting isn't a big deal.

tabman
November 27, 2017 01:09PM
Multi-frequency is a processor hog. With the faster recovery and maybe the right programing picking out the coins from trash that are deeper will be useful. I use the ET on trashy park pattern and a 5.5x9 coil as well as a 6". In a court yard that has been hunt twice by clubs I pulled 77 coins this Saturday including 50 and 57 Rosies and a Sterling birthstone ring. Not as fast as the Racer 2 with the OOR but produces. As I see it any one serious about this hobby will own a Equinox or will be saving to get one. I'm detector rich right now so will be waiting and saving.
November 27, 2017 01:59PM
Words from Minelabs top Tech .Physicist

With Multi-IQ, we can derive much greater target ID accuracy and increased detecting performance, especially in ‘difficult’ ground. In ‘mild’ ground, single frequency may perform adequately, BUT depth and stable ID’s will be limited by ground noise; whereas the Multi-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency will achieve maximum depth with a very stable target signal. In ‘strong’ ground, single frequency will not be able to effectively separate the target signal, giving decreased results; whereas Multi-IQ will still detect at depth, losing a minimal amount of target accuracy.

That way, even for weak targets or highly mineralized soils, the target ID is far less perturbed by the response from the soil. This leads to very precise target IDs, both in mineralized soils and for targets at depth.”
#############################################################
One of the testers on another forum mentioned he brings home silver coins just about everytime he goes out with the 800.

I have a hunch its going to be a good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2017 04:07PM by possum mo.
November 27, 2017 02:01PM
But multi is also EMI lover. Is much harder to setup it right under power lines.
November 27, 2017 04:57PM
possum mo Wrote:

> One of the testers on another forum mentioned he b
> rings home silver coins just about everytime he go
> es out with the 800.
>
" back 10 or more years ago I had that same experience when prototyping the X-Terra 705...
It was a silver magnet and I was on some good sites that hadn't been searched by me where most of the silver came from and some other already searched sites that produced the mundane copper brass bronze lead etc finds.
In fact it became so 'normal' to find silver coins over a few weeks testing that some colleagues thought I must have bought them at a Coin Fair!!!
So, if the tester in Q. is [ on well searched sites ] then I am listening!!!"
November 27, 2017 06:36PM
Des, I believe he hunts parks, schools, etc. I'll have to go back thru his posts when I have time.
November 28, 2017 02:01AM
possum mo Wrote:
> Des, I believe he hunts parks, schools, etc. I'll
> have to go back thru his posts when I have time.

Indeed he does...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 02:02AM by steveg.
December 01, 2017 01:26PM
ShovelNose........ I've been meaning to catch up on your statement. Yes..... multi-freq is a decelerating "processor hog"; yet, today's rapid electronics can now (more readily) handle the required task. Dual-core......or otherwise. This may be incorporated.
December 02, 2017 12:54AM
No prices yet.

[www.minelab.com]

Additional info.
[www.minelab.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 01:28AM by Sod-buster.
December 02, 2017 11:05AM
Des ..... i hope you are right about it having a better spread at the low end. Thats one reason i started using the Sov over my Explorer on the beach. I like the CTX, but it really likes that 12-01...... i keep saying shift that up just another couple digits for foil. It has some interesting combinations of freqs....... lets see how people use then and what our wish list is once its out. IF this machine can equal the Xcal out there (which many wont admit to) then we have to say bravo to ML for giving us an excellent wading machine at a very good price.

Dew
December 02, 2017 11:41AM
I will definitely be getting an Equinox 800. I do hope however that they have a higher model come out with that 2D screen. (Be it an upgraded model or a totally different one based on FBS/BBS/etc tech.)
December 05, 2017 06:33PM
DEC 5

"Hey guys,

It's December, and that 'Nice' Brandon fellow said he'll be testing, sorry, Vacationing in Hawaii so can we look forward to some REAL beach results???

'When you goin' Brandon???
Don't forget the GoPro's and catch all the action!!!

A large number of 'inquiring minds' wanna know!!!

Isn't it 'black sand' on those islands...even all the more challenging???"
December 08, 2017 10:03AM
December 08, 2017 10:36PM
"Thank God someone is still monitoring this thread...even if it's the inventor of it!"