Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
January 16, 2018 03:32PM
Anyone notice the iron bias setting option in start up guide?
[www.minelab.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 03:35PM by Sod-buster.
January 16, 2018 03:57PM
Something new... Software.
January 16, 2018 06:33PM
[www.facebook.com]

From the chart, we now know the intended target models aimed at with Equinox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 06:44PM by Sod-buster.
January 17, 2018 07:12PM
Today, the picture of Nox circuitry caught my eye.
What can I say - great ML !, and accept my congratulations for the implementation of this.
Such a feeling that my thoughts on the development of metal detection technologies were realized.
I will make a proposal for engineers ML - this scheme allows the detector to work in any mode, and therefore I propose to implement a hybrid mode of operation when the detector will alternately operate in Pi mode or in MIQ mode.
This will allow the detector to achieve very large depths of target detection, with identification, as well as avoiding false positives (if there is no signal for Pi, then there are no targets under the coil ...)
January 18, 2018 12:05AM
Can VLF and PI use the same coil?

January 18, 2018 01:30AM
Badger, A derivative of PI.... easily can. If the Xmitter is 'continuous' ..... yet the receiver is 'incremental' (pulsed)...... yes.
January 18, 2018 02:20AM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can VLF and PI use the same coil?

Yes. Once upon a time I proposed merging the MXT and SMPI into a single switchable detector. I designed the TX circuitry to drive the same coil with either a sine or a pulse. It worked, and that was as far as the project got.
January 18, 2018 03:19AM
See Carl run.
Watch Carl run.
See Carl launch!!! (Tom permitting)
January 18, 2018 03:44AM
Geotech Wrote:
> Badger in NH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can VLF and PI use the same coil?
>
> Yes. Once upon a time I proposed merging the MXT a
> nd SMPI into a single switchable detector. I desig
> ned the TX circuitry to drive the same coil with e
> ither a sine or a pulse. It worked, and that was a
> s far as the project got.

Man = I would like to see that machine!

A MXT and a SurfMaster PI all in one combo!?

I ran a SMPI like 20 yrs ago in lake Michigan mostly for jewelry hunting and the depth on that sucker on tiny/thin stuff was incredible to say the least. If it would have had MXT mixed into it I'd have never sold it and still be using it today thumbs down

Come'on with the Alexander Tatar PI grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 03:50AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
January 18, 2018 11:25AM
Im seriously on board with that PI too. You just cant top being able to reverse disc...... now if they make it salt water ready........ baby. This is one that should come of the back burner... it has potential in many types of hunting. Just dont do an EQ intro where it takes 6 mos lol.

Now..... if the CTX cant compete with the Deus in many ways...... so they introduce the EQto do that, how do we define FLAG SHIP? Price...... sales...... bells and whistles?
January 19, 2018 12:39AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
....how do we define FLAG SHIP? Price...... sales...... bells and whistles?

Give it more stars..... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 19, 2018 03:26AM
A post by Mr Sabisch at FM forum

Andy Sabisch
The conference was a one-day event (Monday) with the CEO from Australia discussing where Minelab has been and where it is going.

Mark Lawrie, the lead on the Equinox project, was there to provide attendees with an overview of the detector and cover some of the features - unfortunately there was not enough time to cover all of what it can do or options available.

As far as release date - Minelab is shooting for the end of the month but the software has not been fully locked down yet and the units already built will need to be loaded before shipment from Malaysia so keep fingers crossed for an initial release date of the end of January. There was no mention of how many units would be going where - remember, there are orders from around the world and the US is not the biggest market so to expect all pre-orders to be filled is overly optimistic at this point.

Clearly the reason the testers have been restricted as to what they can or can't say is because things have been changing continually - features added or removed, options adjusted and more so what you get may not be what the testers used last week or last month.

Mark made himself available to answer questions after the open forum and do some demonstrations which showed some of what it was capable of - but being inside a hotel limited what you could really test; i.e., lighting, 25 other detectors around you and metal in the floor.

Weight and balance was clearly not your typical high end Minelab . . . light and easy to swing.

The small 6 inch coil will be available at or just after the release date but the larger 12x15 coil is going to be down the road a while.

Any other specific questions people have that might have been answered in Phoenix?

Andy Sabisch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 03:27AM by Sod-buster.
January 19, 2018 05:49AM
US 20070296415 A1
[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 08:23AM by vfp7.
January 19, 2018 11:33AM
Wished he would have mentioned the yellow headphones. No large coil yet ..... another bummer for some beach guys. Once released ......then we will hear the whine of those who didnt get one. Wonder how long they will wait to produce the second batch?
January 19, 2018 01:05PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Wished he would have mentioned the yellow headphon
> es. No large coil yet ..... another bummer for s
> ome beach guys. Once released ......then we will
> hear the whine of those who didnt get one. Wonde
> r how long they will wait to produce the second ba
> tch?

My personal opinion here.
Minelab would do themselves some justice if they would at the very least give us target dates with numbers of units actually ready for shipment.
And do the same for accessories/coils/headphones.

Why?
To show the detecting public they are indeed working hard to bring product to the public.
They don't even have to tell us where the units are even being shipped to country wise.

Also, I think Minelab could (IMO should) actually tell the public just how many actual Equinox units they have sold (by model).
I have never ever seen a manufatuerer release such information.
Minelab could be the pace setter by doing.
And IMO a smart move.

My posting this is not to be taken as I am upset with Minelab in any way.
Just offering my thoughts.
Who knows maybe they will read my comments here and consider doing.

A quarterly report put on their site in the Minelab News section would suffice.

To quell impatience the goal by reporting facts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 01:16PM by Sod-buster.
January 19, 2018 01:43PM
Why in the world would Minelab take those actions and squelch the anticipation and impatience for their new product that individuals like yourself have so willingly provided for them for free? Minelab has played the detecting forums and community like Trump plays the media to generate all this excitement for a product they have yet to produce. Clearly you are not going to be invited to interview for a job in their marketing department.smiling smiley At least it has made for an entertaining cold season.

Sabisch is probably in front of his computer as we speak writing a new book and adjusting the schedules to his next Boobcamps to accommodate the detectorists that have been rallied into a frenzy during the Winter months in the U.S.
January 19, 2018 01:50PM
shoveler Wrote:
> Why in the world would Minelab take those actions
> and squelch the anticipation and impatience for th
> eir new product that individuals like yourself hav
> e so willingly provided for them for free? Minelab
> has played the detecting forums and community like
> Trump plays the media to generate all this excitem
> ent for a product they have yet to produce. Clearl
> y you are not going to be invited to interview for
> a job in their marketing department.smiling smiley At least it
> has made for an entertaining cold season.
>
> Sabisch is probably in front of his computer as we
> speak writing a new book and adjusting the schedul
> es to his next Boobcamps to accommodate the detect
> orists that have been rallied into a frenzy during
> the Winter months in the U.S.

My only response here.
Since when was telling the truth - a bad thing.
Unless you have something to hide.
January 19, 2018 02:36PM
There are 3 videos here beach detecting/testing.
I know one of those has been already posted here.
Don't know if the other two have been or not.
[md-hunter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 02:37PM by Sod-buster.
January 19, 2018 06:46PM
It may well be marketing hype......... but most will agree its being followed because of its claims and price. From what has dribbled out..... the settings, design, and a possible new platform show in fact have us talking. To me ML would be the loser if its a boom because they have put a lot of cash into R&D and stand to loose on the price tag..... initially.

I have saw all those videos..... ones shows me more how it can move in the surf, one is pretty impressive in the oat meal if you have ever chased coins there, and the third it muddied the water... not much help there.
January 19, 2018 10:00PM
IMO most of the detecting community could care less about the logistics of detector manufacturing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2018 10:00PM by detectingMO.
January 20, 2018 01:18PM
We’re ten days from mass shipment and I’m still surprised at the lack of recent YouTube videos and the lack of said videos in English. I would have thought that testers would have been able to leak out more material, a few comparison tests varying settings and a detailed U.S. park hunt. But what do I know? Minelab’s marketing team has whipped up quite a frenzy.

[m.youtube.com]
January 20, 2018 03:13PM
The video of the "deep roman coin", if one looks closely, shows a guy digging a hole the width of a spare tire and then uses a pointer, which only goes 1/2 pointer deep, to recover coin. Not impressed.
January 20, 2018 10:54PM
So far, I haven't seen one good Equinox video yet.

January 21, 2018 08:30AM
In my opinion, software is still under development.
January 22, 2018 06:55PM
Looks like Equinox is going to be featured.

[www.thesearcher.co.uk]
January 24, 2018 11:16PM
Ill said it on the Fisher thread and ill repeat myself...... if Tom isnt involved in some way with this detector he should be. We see a LOT of companies discussed and the companies even introduce their machines on here. Tom has a lot to offer in the way of testing beyond what most of us do. Like most of you i have a few years digging targets and for the most part can tell you when things arent right or i can see improvements........ yet i lack the technical knowledge to say try this or try that to truly improve the machine. In fact its likely my recommendations would be dismissed. Projects like this where we are seeing new innovations and a lot of money and time deserve someone who can not only test but translate their findings toward a better end product. He just speaks their language. Like a lot of us, he has a lot of passion for the hobby and would like every machine to be a new mouse trap. Im disappointed we havent seen more information...... especially its ability to hunt beaches it appears they have done something in the gold area which could well translate to the salt water. Toms a busy guy, but i bet he'd give some of that precious time to help tweak or work with designers on concept detectors.

Dew
January 25, 2018 11:59AM
Wow Dew. Thanks for the kind words!
January 25, 2018 01:09PM
Not unjustified Tom....... i can see you'd have a lot to offer beyond just testing after the fact. There are a lot of good hunters on here who can give a review...... but not much can be done if its slides into the closet because it didnt reach its full potential. Id like to see you handle a few more of these newer machine while in the R/D/testing stage. I also think its great that ML has stepped it up a notch....... its just good for the hobby.

Dew
January 25, 2018 01:11PM
I was reading the paper today and it was talking about the U.S. wanting a weaker dollar to make U.S. products more competitive. I understand that comment alone made the dollar drop. I wonder IF this might make the EQ pricier than originally stated? I remember over a short time the Xcals jumped $300..... because of a weak dollar..... i also notice it never went back down when the dollar got stronger either lol. So are we at a final price? I ask that because of a few posts i read talking about the Dealer have a price point but can sell higher...... wonder at this point if ML might move the price point up......... or have we even really been give a solid price?

Dew
January 25, 2018 01:58PM
AS the dollar gets weaker, we will pay more for EVERYTHING we import . Its also good for the price of gold and silver, and they are moving up nicely.