Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
February 03, 2018 04:38PM
In the Equinox instruction manual on page 31 under typical target examples U.S. coins. It shows a 1 cent ID at 21. 10 cent 25. 25 cent 29. $1 at 30 and a .50 cent at 35. Isn't the .50 cent and $1 switched around? Doesn't make since that the .50 cent would ring in higher than the $1. Probably a misprint and a stupid question but, I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks
February 03, 2018 05:01PM
I have noted this.
Don't know what $1 coin was used.
February 03, 2018 05:06PM
Someone else made the comment on one of the Facebook forums that like you said Sod-buster what dollar was used. old or modern.
February 03, 2018 05:12PM
It makes perfect sense. The manual is talking about the small dollar coin currently in "circulation." Those coins ring in like a strong quarter signal on my Etrac.
February 03, 2018 05:22PM
Correct. Today's clad dollar coin..... that is just barely larger than a quarter.
Also...... the '21' ID for a penny is for a zero-dirt-exposed new Zinc Cent. Most 'dug' Zinc cents ID in the '19' and '20' ID range. Most 'dug' (dirt exposed) Indian Head Cents ID as '18' (+-1). Remember: Indian Head Cents are slightly lower in conductivity as a modern Zinc Cent.
February 03, 2018 05:24PM
Note Equinox internal battery rating in instruction manual-5,000mAh.
Need a pretty good sized pack to handle multiple charges if going to remote site for a while with no household juice available.
Or have muliple charged packs on hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 05:25PM by Sod-buster.
February 03, 2018 05:27PM
For charging the EQ...... I recommend a fairly good quality USB wall charger that is (at minimum) rated for 2-Amp output. (((At 5-VDC))).
February 03, 2018 06:15PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For charging the EQ...... I recommend a fairly goo
> d quality USB wall charger that is (at minimum) ra
> ted for 2-Amp output. (((At 5-VDC))).

Can you recommend a power bank to charge it? I don't like the idea of having to drag the detector to a power outlet and having it sit on the floor, where it might get stepped on, for hours at a time.
February 03, 2018 06:37PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> For charging the EQ...... I recommend a fairly goo
> d quality USB wall charger that is (at minimum) ra
> ted for 2-Amp output. (((At 5-VDC))).

I'd go for an Apple brand 2.1 amp iPad charger, very good quality...
February 03, 2018 07:24PM
When do we get to hear your report on the Equinox Tom?

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 08:15PM by Cabin Fever.
February 04, 2018 02:31AM
Bayard....... set it on a table or counter....... and plug it in.

Bryan......... I have not been 'released' as of yet........... to say anything about the Equinox. ((Although I'm to blame for the 6-week delay.))
February 04, 2018 02:37AM
Thanks Tom! I think?
Glad to hear you were part of the team.
Looking forward to your report...
Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 02:38AM by Cabin Fever.
February 04, 2018 04:08AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Bayard....... set it on a table or counter.......
> and plug it in.
>
> Bryan......... I have not been 'released' as of ye
> t........... to say anything about the Equinox. ((
> Although I'm to blame for the 6-week delay.))

Good to know that it's Tom-Tuned already!
February 04, 2018 04:35AM
So That's why you didn't want anyone to help chip in to buy one for testing. You've had one all the while. SCORE one for us on that.
February 04, 2018 05:05AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Bryan......... I have not been 'released' as of yet........... to say anything about the Equinox. ((Although I'm to blame for the 6-week delay.

Seems odd that Steve H was allowed to publicly write about the Equinox but not you Tom.

Different NDA's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 05:09AM by Badger in NH.
February 04, 2018 11:04AM
Im waiting for more Tom.cool smiley Nice to know you were in the mix of things. My recommendation to other companies.......the time to send Tom a machine isnt when its in our hands.

Dew
February 04, 2018 01:45PM
I rescind my $10 offer to help with shipping...
February 04, 2018 01:50PM
NASA-Tom
I have not been 'released' as of yet.

Do you know when you can speak about it or does ML have to explicitly tell you?
February 04, 2018 04:17PM
ecris Wrote:

> Good to know that it's Tom-Tuned already!

Quite right. I hope Minelab appreciates his input -- despite any slight "delay" it may have caused. All they need to do, in the event that there was ANY question, is to have a look at the monetary "premium" that a "Tom-tuned" CZ-3D commands on the used detector market, versus a "regular" CZ-3D, in order to realize what any detectorists who are "in the know" think of NASA-Tom's knowledge, skill, and expertise. While some may "whine" about delays, I think anyone who is SERIOUS about the hobby, and who thinks deeper than a frustrated, emotional response, would really appreciate Minelab taking the time, and employing the right people, to make sure that the Equinox was ALL that is it capable of being, BEFORE releasing it. "Rushing" a "90% complete" detector to market, just to meet some deadline imposed by the sales or marketing team, is probably not the best idea when looked at from a long-term perspective. Any "black eye" Minelab may have taken in the short term, due to being "late," will heal -- while down the road, after a little time passes, their reputation will be "bolstered" by having put out a machine that is the best it could be. After all, isn't it Minelab's reputation for top-notch technology that lies at the heart of all the "buzz" that has existed around this machine in the first place? That reputation for technological excellence was not easily earned, but is bolstered by consistently releasing technologically top-notch units -- NOT by rushing to meet self-imposed deadlines. And obviously, releasing top-notch units, technologically, means both a.) having an excellent engineering and physics group, AND b.) choosing the right folks to test and critique the prototype units...and then letting the testing process play out, UNTIL the design INTENT of the development team has been shown (by the testers) to match the ACTUAL, IN-FIELD PERFORMANCE.

OK, rant off. I've read too many posts from people moaning about "delays," (on other forums), to keep quiet any longer! eye rolling smiley winking smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 04:19PM by steveg.
February 04, 2018 05:19PM
At least now, Beyonder can close his book on conspiracy and file it - file 13!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2018 05:30PM by Sod-buster.
February 04, 2018 06:02PM
I can't wait to see the beach and in the water videos. I bought a hole in the water to pour some money into for awhile. I will have to live through watching vids until summer. My Excal will keep me warm till then. lol
February 04, 2018 06:29PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
> At least now, Beyonder can close his book on cons
> piracy and file it - file 13!!

Correct.

This was the post he is referring to.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
February 04, 2018 09:12PM
I agree Steve they put some passion in this one.... its going to be worth the wait. Glad to see someone else is glad to have had Tom included. SN..... me too... i think there are a lot of water videos waiting for U-tube....... with all the other videos, im taken back. Here we are and nothing proving it will work in deep water.
February 05, 2018 03:51PM
Kudos to Minelab here on their Equinox manual.
This manual different than any other I have viewed online.

Notice the embedded links provided within the manual that will take a reader to area for more detailed info.

This capability here really does help with understanding and faster comprehension.

For gee whiz, CTX nor the GPZ 7000 instruction manuals do not have these embedded links.
Best Practice here IMO by Minelab.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 04:20PM by Sod-buster.
February 06, 2018 06:44AM
I'm ecstatic that both Tom D and Steve H are both testing the EQ.

With their decades of detecting experience and very different detecting environments, I believe everyone will likely get what they want and need from the EQ.
February 06, 2018 08:24AM
I duplicate the question to the Nox 800 testers:

The button for quick switching programs is on the right side of the box (User Program Button)
The same right hand holds the detector, in the left hand - a shovel.
The question arises - how to press this button without changing your hand?

ps: The button for fast switching programs is very much in demand.
For example, this user program can hang the functionality of maximum depth, to recheck the controversial goals found in the normal search mode ...

In advance thanks for the answer.
February 06, 2018 10:44AM
I use the CTX...... i can hit any button with the same hand..... and i do it with one foot on the scoop in the water. The screen is a little smaller too than the CTX. It may be awkward for some... especially those who have never used this type of machine...... so it may have to be a learned process. I had to do that changing from an Xcal to the CTX it the water.... kept banging my box with the scoop looking at targets lol.
February 06, 2018 12:45PM
vfp7 Wrote:

The button for quick switching programs is on the
right side of the box (User Program Button)
The same right hand holds the detector, in the left hand - a shovel.
The question arises - how to press this button without changing your hand?

Simple, just stick the shovel in the ground while you adjust the machine.

But really, how often do you need to switch programs during a hunt?

February 06, 2018 01:46PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> vfp7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> The button for quick switching programs is on the
> right side of the box (User Program Button)
> The same right hand holds the detector, in the lef
> t hand - a shovel.
> The question arises - how to press this button wit
> hout changing your hand?
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> Simple, just stick the shovel in the ground while
> you adjust the machine.
>
> But really, how often do you need to switch progra
> ms during a hunt?
>
> .

When searching, you find a signal from a very deep target, which is recognized by the detector as "controversial", by pressing the right hand finger on the "User program" shortcut button, go to the target verification mode.
"User program" pre-set to the maximum depth for the current conditions.
Checking the "controversial" goal or continuing the search by switching back to the normal search mode by clicking on the same quick program change button, or digging out the target in case of a "color" response.
/ sorry for my English /

For example, on my detector this functionality on the button "N"
Clicking on it, I switch to my program, which I adjust to the maximum depth.
(Because of the large gain levels, there are a lot of phantoms on this program, because of what it is not suitable for normal searching. But for checking the controversial goal, this mode is ideal)
Then, having rechecked the controversial goal, I again click on the same button "N" and continue searching in the usual mode ...
By the way, this button is very conveniently pressed by the finger of the right hand ...

February 06, 2018 01:50PM
Data was deleted here.
Was deemed by myself as not value added.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 04:11PM by Sod-buster.