Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's the new Minelab Equinox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Here's the new Minelab Equinox
February 06, 2018 02:48PM
I might take out a loan and get the 15 inch
February 06, 2018 04:32PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
((Although I'm to blame for the 6-week delay.))

So this was just posted on Steve H's forum from a forum member that contacted Kellyco to see when his EQ800 would ship:

"Well I just called Kellyco to check on my order. I was curious how many they were allotted. Customer service told me that there is now an unexpected delay. Instead of receiving some this week they are now just hoping to hear something this week. He has no idea why they are being delayed but if he had to read between the lines he would guess a last minute bug was found. PURELY HIS GUESS.. Hopefully its something small. They just found this out and are trying to decide if, how and what to tell their customers. They don't seem to know much at present. "

Tom when you say you're responsible for a six week delay, can you share when this delay incurred? Is that six weeks from when you made your post? Six weeks from January 1?
Just what are we looking at here? Another month or two to wait for the equinox?
February 06, 2018 05:15PM
Even if they found a bug very limited amounts of the detectors are already here in the states from Minelabs post.
Users could just update so I can't see why they would delay them for that reason.
February 06, 2018 05:35PM
I got an email from my dealer in the UK, he's got his delivery scheduled for early next week, but he only got a handful of units, with more to follow in the coming weeks.
February 06, 2018 05:48PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ((Although I'm to blame for the 6-week delay.))
>
>
> So this was just posted on Steve H's forum from a
> forum member that contacted Kellyco to see when hi
> s EQ800 would ship:
>
> "Well I just called Kellyco to check on my order.
> I was curious how many they were allotted. Custom
> er service told me that there is now an unexpected
> delay. Instead of receiving some this week they ar
> e now just hoping to hear something this week. He
> has no idea why they are being delayed but if he h
> ad to read between the lines he would guess a last
> minute bug was found. PURELY HIS GUESS.. Hopefully
> its something small. They just found this out and
> are trying to decide if, how and what to tell thei
> r customers. They don't seem to know much at prese
> nt. "
>
> Tom when you say you're responsible for a six week
> delay, can you share when this delay incurred? Is
> that six weeks from when you made your post? Six w
> eeks from January 1?
> Just what are we looking at here? Another month o
> r two to wait for the equinox?

Sounds like typical big-k propaganda because they can't keep up with demand. Having bought 6 machines, and at least 6 coils from them, I saw all kinds of tricks and excuses from them.
February 06, 2018 05:48PM
my dealer only got 2 units (UK)
February 06, 2018 06:12PM
Tom, would we be missing out on much with a 600 vs an 800?

Thanks,
Mike
February 06, 2018 06:20PM
My dealer, FWIW, just told me this morning that he got an email from Minelab that "each dealer was going to get a unit this week," but then the email was later "retracted" by Minelab. Not sure if that just meant that HE was not going to receive his "one unit," but that's what I suspected it meant; he's a small dealer. Now, however, if what Cal_Cobra says that KellyCo told him is true...hmm. That would suggest that the "retracted by Minelab" may be referring to more than "just my dealer." Wonder what's up?

Surely, it can't be Minelab responding last-minute to the complaints that have cropped up on the forums that a Minelab-specific "wall adapter" for the charger cable was not included in the box, could it?

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 06:23PM by steveg.
February 06, 2018 06:37PM
Nothing changed on my end. My units are set to arrive next week (Canada)
February 06, 2018 07:25PM
Read the instruction Manual there is quite a few differences between the two.
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Tom, would we be missing out on much with a 600 vs
> an 800?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
February 06, 2018 08:38PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Tom, would we be missing out on much with a 600 vs
> an 800?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike --

VERY LITTLE, from what I understand, performance-wise. You still get the same "modes" as the 800, using the same frequencies, etc. The biggest differences are 1. no prospecting mode on the 600 2. no choice of the INDIVIDUAL single frequencies of 20 kHz and 40 kHz. 3. No wireless headphones, or WM08 module INCLUDED (corded phones are included in the 600) 4. Much less "tailoring" ability possible with respect to the tones (tone pitch, tone volume, etc.) In other words, less customization of the tone specifics 5. No "user" button on the faceplate, to allow you to store one specific "custom" mode that can be accessed immediately with just the push of a button (no navigation into the menu to create the custom setting "on the fly").

So, unless you think you'll get "more performance" from customizing tones, etc., or if you feel your personal needs might require specifically running in SINGLE 20 or 40 kHz, the actual "performance capability" of the two machines is supposed to be the same.

Steve
February 06, 2018 08:41PM
Simpler adjustment possibilities. Like recovery speed or iron bias if I good remember from the user manual.
February 06, 2018 08:45PM
Thank you, Steve, Shelton.

Since my interest in the Equinox is mostly curiosity I'm just wondering if I can scratch my itch with the cheaper option. HA!

HH
Mike
February 06, 2018 09:43PM
I really think you probably could "scratch the itch" that way, Mike. The biggest possibility for something "eye-opening" with this machine, IMO, is the "Multi-IQ." And since functionally, the multi modes will work the same on the 600 as the 800, there is "a lot there" for "a lot less money" IMO, in the 600. My only thought that might refute that, is with you being such a jewelry hunter, would the prospecting mode, or the two higher single freqs. available on the 800, be something you might actually utilize...

BTW -- thanks, Shelton. I had forgotten about the "less notches of adjustability" in the recovery speed and iron bias settings on the 600 (I think 3 notches of adjustment -- kind of "low-med-high") vs. the 800 (I think 9 gradations of finer adjustment).

Steve
February 06, 2018 09:59PM
Saw this posted on FB.

Just Received from LP. I think we saw this coming?

Good afternoon,

Firstly thank you for registering your interest in the Minelab Equinox with LP Metal Detecting.

We have now received our first delivery schedule from Minelab in regard to shipping quantities and expected delivery dates.

Unfortunately it is the news we feared we may have to share... The quantity of stock arriving in to the U.K. early next week is incredibly small, so much so we are receiving only a fraction of the units that we have ordered on the first delivery. This is an issue that the whole dealer network is facing whilst Minelab try their hardest to keep up with the huge demand in this new product.

As we are receiving such a small allocation of our order we will unfortunately not be able to provide you with the machine you desire at this time.

Minelab are hopeful that all outstanding units we have ordered will be fulfilled over the coming weeks (this may be in multiple smaller batches). At this time we do not know exact dates of further deliveries coming to us.

If there is anything you would like to discuss around this, that isn't specifically answered in this email, please feel free to call us on 01635 597975 (Monday to Saturday 09:30-17:00) and we will do our best to answer these questions for you.

We will continue to keep you fully informed of any news we receive from Minelab and thank you for your continued patience whilst we await healthy supply of the machine you can't wait to get your hands on.
February 06, 2018 11:19PM
and the beat goes on,,,,,,,,,

Badger in NH Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> -----
> > Bryan......... I have not been 'released' as of
> yet........... to say anything about the Equinox.
> ((Although I'm to blame for the 6-week delay.
> -----
>
> Seems odd that Steve H was allowed to publicly wri
> te about the Equinox but not you Tom.
>
> Different NDA's?
>
> .

While we are waiting it would be nice to get some objective info on the performance of this machine. I suspect Tom's assessment has been under wraps because Miinelab knows the gravitas it carries. At one point it was suggested we all buy Tom a unit to test. I think a better action would be for all of us to send Minelab's public relations person a ton of emails imploring them to let Tom give us the real poop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 11:21PM by shoveler.
February 06, 2018 11:27PM
You also don't get all the recovery speeds on the 600.
I think you miss out on a lot myself get the 800.
Page 66 of the instruction manual will tell you everything you need to know.

> So, unless you think you'll get "more performance"
> from customizing tones, etc., or if you feel your
> personal needs might require specifically running
> in SINGLE 20 or 40 kHz, the actual "performance c
> apability" of the two machines is supposed to be t
> he same.
>
> Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 11:36PM by GreenMeanie.
February 07, 2018 05:09AM
I contacted the dealer I noemally do business with yesterday just out of curiosity to see where I was on the fabled "list". I called Sept 16 to let him know I wanted an 800. He said yesterday I am 19th on the list. I thought that sounded odd since I had placed mine so early. Two of my buddies are also on the list...they placed their preorders in December and they are somehow ahead of me through the same dealer. Something is going on with that for sure.
February 07, 2018 08:53AM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
> Even if they found a bug very limited amounts of the detectors are already here in the states from Minelabs post.
> Users could just update so I can't see why they would delay them for that reason.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why hold up the show any longer, if they're user upgradable ship that damn things, and let's get the show on road, the detecting world's been holding its breath long enough.

Besides, as their spec'd as have user upgradable firmware, it's not a big deal to upgrade the firmware if required.
February 07, 2018 08:54AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
>
> Sounds like typical big-k propaganda because they can't keep up with demand. Having bought 6 machines, and at least 6 coils from them, I saw all kinds of tricks and excuses from them.

I avoid KCO like the plague....total last resort IMHO.
February 07, 2018 08:58AM
steveg Wrote:

>
> Surely, it can't be Minelab responding last-minute to the complaints that have cropped up on the forums that a Minelab-specific "wall adapter" for the charger cable was not included in the box, could it?
>
> Steve

Can't see see why anyone gives a c@@p about the charger, they're available at a million different outlets if one doesn't already have a pile of them.

iPhone/IPad chargers would work great, as will a myriad of other like USB chargers....it's doubtful that they would hold up the show due to a $10 charger.
February 07, 2018 10:04AM
Its possible they got the last update a little late and the machines shipped have to all be down loaded manually?
February 07, 2018 10:09AM
steveg Wrote:
> I really think you probably could "scratch the itc
> h" that way, Mike. The biggest possibility for so
> mething "eye-opening" with this machine, IMO, is t
> he "Multi-IQ." And since functionally, the multi
> modes will work the same on the 600 as the 800, th
> ere is "a lot there" for "a lot less money" IMO, i
> n the 600. My only thought that might refute that
> , is with you being such a jewelry hunter, would t
> he prospecting mode, or the two higher single freq
> s. available on the 800, be something you might ac
> tually utilize...
>
> BTW -- thanks, Shelton. I had forgotten about the
> "less notches of adjustability" in the recovery sp
> eed and iron bias settings on the 600 (I think 3 n
> otches of adjustment -- kind of "low-med-high") vs
> . the 800 (I think 9 gradations of finer adjustmen
> t).
>
> Steve

I'm kinda breaking a promise here, but according to a well known source LOL the park 2 and field 2 modes give up very little to the gold modes on small targets. The 600 is a screaming good deal.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 07, 2018 12:34PM
At first when I read it didn't come with a wall charger I thought OK I can use my phone charger but I still think it is lame Minelab doesn't include it thou.

Cal_cobra Wrote:

> steveg Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Surely, it can't be Minelab responding last-minu
> te to the complaints that have cropped up on the f
> orums that a Minelab-specific "wall adapter" for t
> he charger cable was not included in the box, coul
> d it?
> >
> > Steve
>
> Can't see see why anyone gives a c@@p about the ch
> arger, they're available at a million different ou
> tlets if one doesn't already have a pile of them.
>
> iPhone/IPad chargers would work great, as will a m
> yriad of other like USB chargers....it's doubtful
> that they would hold up the show due to a $10 char
> ger.
February 07, 2018 06:30PM
What a mess. Shows every sign of being rushed to market. A dealer I talked to today says he has heard nothing from Minelab.

We know nothing about why they haven’t shipped, but a leading suspect might be a serious bug in the software which was just discovered - multi frequency detecting ain’t easy. There’s a reason you don’t see new true multifreakers popping up often. Minelab’s basic FBS/BBS technology is pretty long in the tooth, as is Fisher’s CZ Series. Whites has shown no sign of a successor to the V3 series.

all those lovely detectors in the picture - maybe 300 - 500 of them, just sitting there.

[www.izitru.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 06:33PM by lytle78.
February 07, 2018 06:39PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
At first when I read it didn't come with a wall charger I thought OK I can use my phone charger but
I still think it is lame Minelab doesn't include it thou.

USB chargers are almost as common as batteries. You'd have to live way out in the sticks to not have a number of stores nearby that sell them.

A bigger concern for some might be that the EQX doesn't come with a manual. Anyone who doesn't have a computer and/or a printer is going to be out of luck.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 07:02PM by Badger in NH.
February 07, 2018 06:54PM
Big pic here.

This is a search listing of all Canadian and USA Minelab dealers.
Don't know how accurate this is, but it it still a bunch of dealers.

[www.minelab.com]
February 07, 2018 07:04PM
And none of them seem to know what’s up.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 07, 2018 07:07PM
Well my dealer gave me info.

Can say this, just getting rid of backlog of preorders is going to take a while.
I sure don't know what preorders are for Canada and USA ( totals) but wouldn't surprise me the number doesn't approach 1,000 units.

Wonder what world wide totals for preorders are ??

Some folks may call me crazy for what I am about to say. Equinox could very well remain in what I call a preorder status way up in the year. Meaning a person likely won't be able to order one and it ship to them in a few days. If we knew how many units Minelab can actually produce in one day might tell us some thing. We know there is w limit to how many.
And it's the middle of winter, wait till spring and summer.
Bonkers with orders by people.

Minelab may decide to drop another Equinox out of an airplane-joke.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 07:56PM by Sod-buster.
February 07, 2018 09:14PM
You would think they would have the machines. Did they not start producing them until they got the software done? Do they have to hand load and check each one before shipping? All is ask is dont rush mine.......take your time and put it together right the first time.