Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The FTP connection.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The FTP connection.
September 19, 2017 05:57PM
(This is all just deduced speculation and has very little reliability as be true and loaded with exaggerations).

The FTP connection.

On 12/07/2016, during a post on Dankowski's detectors, Keith Southern(KS) hinted that he was testing a new product(he was very indirect). This was my first clue as to something being tested.

KS: "Lots of things to look forward to..

Maybe even something you dont Know that can even be possible Will Arrive.... "

And further down a hint from Tom Dankowski(TD) in response to Dews post ".where i saw Tom had posted that thread on PI/VLF combo discussion at the top of his home page".

TD: "Dew....... I am indeed swamped with testing. "

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

To me with my incredible deductive skills, these were a huge red flag as to something being in the works! So much so, I made a post to call KS out on the subject as a joke thread(pics are missing).

Doing more detective work, I stumbled across this link:

[md-hunter.com]

At first, this was looked at as a photoshop/fake job. But then after reading posts are a few forums, it seemed to be confirmed as valid information from Dave Johnson(FTP engineer).

Recent posts seem to point to a product from FTP nearing completion. In this post, TD seems to hint this.

TD: "DO give them time!"

AND in response to:

"The game changer for FTP i feel may well be bringing this new Pulse too the market that has some very good discrimination,the project that they bought from the french guy,this it was called the 'Manta' or something like that,that could well be the game changer that we have all been waiting for the last decade or so.Dont think we will have all that long before it arrives possibly 2 years or so,but it was in a very advanced state before FTP took it over.

Of course no one can predict exactly what a machine will be like until we actually see it in the flesh,certainly the bar has been raised in the last 2 years or so."
Posted by Junk & disorderly

TD: " J&D............correct."

This was the detector he was referring to:

Also posted:

KS: "things CAN happen that you never thought of before??

From ANYBODY "

Another fact no one seemed to notice was, the mysterious disappearance of Geotech(carl). To me, another red flag.

So what does all this mean? To me,
Based on all this info, both Tom and Keith are in collusion with FTP to test a new platform!

The new platform will be a Discriminating Pulse(based on KS:"things CAN happen that you never thought of before??") machine based on the Adonis from Fisher. Tom's "DO give them time" and the release of the Equinox could mean they are rushing to be ready to announce, but not ready for release.

Wild conjecture and speculation, I know, but fun just the same!
Re: The FTP connection.
September 19, 2017 06:17PM
Glad i am not the only one that picked all those very discreet 'vibes' up from those comments,of course those that are close too this project cannot release any form of info,but its the subtle few words like 'correct' that have basically let the cat out of the bag,of course one can see some further comments that will try and detract us from those comments,but this 'FTP' new product will almost certainly come too market,and i still say that this will be the definitive game changer that we have been waiting for a very long time.

Exciting time ahead me thinks.
September 19, 2017 06:51PM
I feel like these "hints" have been going on for 5 years so I've kind of quit putting stock in them. Manufacturers are always working on and testing new products. So just assume they all are working on new great things.
September 19, 2017 07:51PM
I tend to believe (hope) that FTP has something coming also, which is why, I am firmly in the non-committal camp on any new offerings. IF(?) Carl is collaborating on a project with Dave Johnson and fellow design engineers, it brings another quality, experienced mind to the drawing board, that's for sure.

I have the luxury of being patient. In light of all the new releases of models lately, FTP better get moving though. If one is coming, and it's good, FTP would do well to give a little heads up. Lots of people are chomping at the bit to buy one of the latest/greatest offerings. If FTP waits too long, that big pile of available cash is gonna shrink! On the other hand, if everyone dumps all their butter and egg money and commits to a machine now, and FTP comes out with a true "breakthrough technology" machine? There'll be lots of detectorist's wailing and gnashing their teeth, if they pulled the trigger too soon.

FTP is overdo for a release of something new, that brings new excitement to the hobby! Who knows if they will for sure??
September 20, 2017 03:53AM
Ever think of this.

Notice who said they weren't buying Equinox yet.
Why?

Could it be they either won't want to have to cross check targets/scenarios using another detector (if they bought).
Or feel, what they don't know won't hurt them,,when testing the mystery detector as far as comparison test or would muddy the waters.

Could cause regression.
September 20, 2017 04:01PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ever think of this.
>
> Notice who said they weren't buying Equinox yet.
> Why?
>
> Could it be they either won't want to have to cros
> s check targets/scenarios using another detector (
> if they bought).
> Or feel, what they don't know won't hurt them,,whe
> n testing the mystery detector as far as compariso
> n test or would muddy the waters.
>
> Could cause regression.

If you're referring to me SB, my reasons for not jumping on the Equinox are VERY clear.

I don't see any special abilities that it can do that my current machines can't, other than provide several different single frequencies in ONE machine. I KNOW it's not FBS2, so my CTX will provide me a better multi-freq option. If I were a saltwater hunter I would certainly consider it, as it's lighter than my CTX, I'm not, so that has no appeal to me. If someone chooses to jump on a newly released machine based on minimal info, more power to them. I'm not that guy! No exceptional abilities have been demonstrated, so there's no compelling reason for me to get excited about it. I think that should be easy enough to understand, no mysteries, no sub-plots.

As to what, if anything, is coming from FTP, who knows?? I have interest in it, as I did the Equinox. If, and when it does come, it will get the same "patience before purchase" I gave all my other machines. I researched the CTX for a year, before I purchased one in 2013. I prefer to look over ALL new releases before making any purchase decisions. That's just common sense to me. Blindly throwing money at everthing that comes down the pike, isn't an intelligent option. If FTP doesn't offer a new machine, I'll probably sit on what I have now, unless something extraordinary comes to light from the Equinox.
September 20, 2017 04:27PM
think he was talking about keith
September 20, 2017 04:28PM
Wasn't you Emfield.

And my posting what I did,,just pure speculation.

When I see a "passionate" detectorist take a quick stance as they did.
Makes me think.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 04:32PM by Sod-buster.
September 20, 2017 04:39PM
Sod-buster Wrote:
> Wasn't you Emfield.
>
> And my posting what I did,,just pure speculation.
>
> When I see a "passionate" detectorist take a quick
> stance as they did.
> Makes me think.

My apologies for my misunderstanding SB.
September 20, 2017 04:45PM
EMField Wrote:
> Sod-buster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wasn't you Emfield.
> >
> > And my posting what I did,,just pure speculation
> .
> >
> > When I see a "passionate" detectorist take a qui
> ck
> > stance as they did.
> > Makes me think.
>
> My apologies for my misunderstanding SB.

No problem.
I am enjoying reading your posts.
Keep em coming.
September 20, 2017 05:13PM
No fighting on my thread!!! lol
September 20, 2017 06:23PM
Better make room in the closet Brian.......All kidding aside....In my solid detecting days...would have one ordered....
September 20, 2017 06:53PM
A PI with discrimination?!

"Nobody told me. It don't mean nobody told nobody; maybe somebody told somebody, but nobody told me". cool smiley

Pinpoint twice, dig once
September 20, 2017 08:29PM
My best guess would be the CZX nugget detector will be the first new tech machine to market from Fisher. Minelab already beat them to the market with an "automatic" nugget detector, but there is no new tech to speak of in that machine.
September 21, 2017 12:41AM
Every time a new detector comes out, we get these Ftp rumors. They have cried wolf too often as far as I'm concerned. I'm not waiting for anything from FTP. If they come out with something new, I'll check it out. Definitely not cheerleading the Texas boys.
September 21, 2017 02:20PM
possum mo Wrote:
> Every time a new detector comes out, we get these
> Ftp rumors. They have cried wolf too often as far
> as I'm concerned. I'm not waiting for anything fro
> m FTP. If they come out with something new, I'll
> check it out. Definitely not cheerleading the Texa
> s boys.

Where's the like button!
September 21, 2017 02:39PM
possum mo Wrote:
> Every time a new detector comes out, we get these
> Ftp rumors. They have cried wolf too often as far
> as I'm concerned. I'm not waiting for anything fro
> m FTP. If they come out with something new, I'll
> check it out. Definitely not cheerleading the Texa
> s boys.

Agreed! When they do, I'm sure it will be worth checking out. These posts have been happening for a long time. I don't know if people are just reading into them what they want to read (when it comes to thinking Keith and Tom are dropping hints) or if they really are dropping as much of a hint as they can without violating any kind of gag contract.

I do remember one thread where Keith posted he was looking for a particular metal detector to do some comparisons to/with, and then Tom quoted that post and seems like he put a thumbs up emoji to it as his only text. That caught my attention because Tom usually doesn't post like that...and I for the life of me couldn't find that post to put a link to here. Seems like it MIGHT have been one of the F19 or G2 machines he was after...that was back before the Impact was released so that might have been what he was wanting to compare it to...or maybe something else. I don't know.
September 21, 2017 03:06PM
Folks are scratching heads.

And IMO will be very leery if some thing materializes.

Too much repackaging and changing the names to protect the innocent has been done by these folks.

I am waiting for the T2 classics classic. Lol
September 22, 2017 05:30AM
September 22, 2017 01:00PM
Goldscan 5c + Manta = ? thumbs down
September 22, 2017 06:13PM
As far as First Texas “crying wolf” - what First Texas has said they are working on is new technology in multifreq. - CZX. They have also announced that they acquired the Manta Project and hired its designer - Alexandre Tartar - this is a further development of the basic PI approach pioneered by Eric Foster via the work of Alexandre Tartar and his team in France.

The CZX was expected last year and hasn’t appeared. Sometimes development programs don’t meet original timetables. A pity, but I do believe a product will emerge.

The Pulse machine is actively being developed. In the Manta prototype form, it offered impressive depth, smooth threshold and useful iron ID. If a production machine can deliver this, it will be a serious challanger to today’s salt water beach machines.

As far as repackaging and changing names goes, the new TekDirect line of Minuteman, Liberator and Patriot are indeed repackaged existing detectors. This was done in order to offer excellent pricing on 3 detectors which were already recognized as offering excellent value for money - the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro and Fisher F70. No secret was made of this - and it was a sensible marketing move.

I would be surprised to find that First Texas stopped improving and aligning their existing product line. They represent the largest range of machines offered by any manufacturer and sell at increasingly attractive prices.

Do I look forward to the CZX project emerge in the form of a great detector ising new technology and a powerful PI beach detector with iron id emerge from the Manta project - of course I do. Am I impatent for this to finally happen - you bet.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
September 22, 2017 06:56PM
Rick,

For the longest time I really hoped FTP would come out with THE flagship detector, but as others have stated, the proof is in the pudding and so far, there's been no pudding.

Also, if I may quote something you posted on FM, I feel it's worth nothing:

lytle78
Quote from a recent interview in Italy with Tim Mallory - Vice President of Marketing and Sales for First Texas....translation via Goole translate.

"9) What are your future plans?
One never knows, but I won’t be happy until First Texas, Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter, have achieved number one sales in the world-wide market."

Notice he said "achieve number one sales in the world-wide market" NOT make the best detectors in the world-wide market.

So if they just keep spinning up rehashed FTP machines, that may well achieve their goal of #1 sales, but somewhere in there, is there a goal to also have the best detector technology in the world as well?

As they haven't released a flagship machine since the F75, and in the interim everyone else (with the exception of Tesoro) has released at least one next generation flagship detector, it would behoove FTP to share a little bit of insight with their fans to keep interest.

IMHO, with machines like the Impact and the Equinox, a lot of people will have made their investment into their next generation detecting platform, and if say in 2018 FTP comes out with something interesting, it will have an exceedingly high bar to exceed customer expectations enough to entice them to open their wallets again and learn a new machine.

Not saying it can't happen, but it certainly remains to be seen, and it seems like every time a company releases a new detector there's always chatter of some new and great machine FTP is working on that will be out any time .....I've been hearing that for 5+ years now, so I can understand the "cry wolf" syndrome that tuned some people out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2017 07:11PM by Cal_cobra.
September 22, 2017 10:43PM
Fair ‘nuff Cal - my hope is that over the next couple of years we will continue to see companies break new ground and move beyond the VLF IB, constant current detectors we have used (single or multi freq.) for decades. Minelab has done it with the GPZ 7000, but they haven’t cracked the code on discrimination for that platform. FT’s stuff is still “on the bench” in El Paso. Nobody else has announced anything yet.

In the metal detector business, there are many customers - at many levels of experience and interest. FT’s line of detectors covers the whole spectrum - from the Bounty Hunter JR to the F-75. None of these machines are poorly designed - made who-knows-where - junk. They are all (with the exception of part of the Bounty Hunter jr. Production) made in El Paso - they all work just fine. Most of the buyers are pretty satisfied. FT will shortly move into a new purpose built location in El Paso - 100,000 square feet of state of the art manufacturing, test, order fulfillment and engineering. Are they happy that developing truly new technology takes so long and consumes so much engineering budget? - I’m sure they are not. Nevertheless they press on. Meanwhile, the very likely sell more metal detectors per year than anyone else - by a wide margin.

The results of the work of Carl Moreland, Dave Johnson, Alexandre Tartar, Jorge Saad, John Gardiner and many others will reach the market in due course. Probably without a months of media hoopla before production and sales of the final version. We’ll see - or not.. The “announcement” in 2016 about the CZX was not a FT media blitz, it was a closed briefing for distributors in /eastern Europe which was leaked by one of the attendees. That ain’t crying wolf. Folks on the forums speculating about what will replace the F75 is not FT’s fault, nor have they done anything I have seen to encourage it.

Meanwhile, I will almost certianly watch the Equinox with interest - if it proves as useful as promised, I very well might make it my next detector purchase.

Rick Kempf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 12:05AM by lytle78.
September 23, 2017 01:30AM
Thanks Rick -

One point I would like to pull you up on is - "Probably without a months of media hoopla before production and sales of the final version"

Can you please enlighten me to what you actually mean by this?

From what I have seen in my short time in this hobby is when FT release a product, most of the marketing is carried out by loyal buyers, testers etc, yet very little from their marketing team working in with potential buyers the way the like of Makro/Nokta do.

Do you regard the way those two release their detectors "as hoopla"? - Personally, I think their marketing is spot on -

What about the way Whites launched their MXS? - was it hoopla? - IMO - YES

So, I do hope First Texas market their new flagship in a manner where the actual product outshines the hooplah some manufacturers live by -

Personally, I like it when a rep from the manufacturer fronts up publicly/forums informing us all of their products accurately

Cheers winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
September 23, 2017 02:42AM
RC -

I was specifically referring to the highly professional and well executed pre-launch stuff Minelab just executed in the UK aboit the Equinox. Well done. Probably super effective.

Not saying it’s wrong, just citing it in contrast to all the pre-announcements which FT NEVER MADE which somehow got lumped into the category “crying wolf” - no disrespect to Cal - he and I apparently see this issue differently - and gentlemen can reasonably differ - if we can’t differ peacefully - then we will be ruled by tyrants!

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 02:50AM by lytle78.
September 23, 2017 02:47AM
Thanks Rick -smileys with beer

[www.earthscan.co.nz]