Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I was wondering if it was possible for someone who is more well-versed and knowledgeable about operating frequencies.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have a somewhat limited understanding of the pros and cons of certain operating frequencies. I was curious if someone could take the time to explain each of the frequencies that the Equinox 800 offers and how each frequency could be applied to a hunting scenario. Hopefully I made that clear as mud thanks.
I was ask about it it on Detectival event all Minelab crew. This is top secret and period. Multifrequency... is multifrequency... nothing less, nothing more. You can choose one from few and work on single or choose multi. Amen.
Shelton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was ask about it it on Detectival event all Mine
> lab crew. This is top secret and period. Multifreq
> uency... is multifrequency... nothing less, nothin
> g more. You can choose one from few and work on si
> ngle or choose multi. Amen.

Let me clarify what I was asking where and when would you use each of the frequencies that you can select IE 5 10 15 20 40. I want to know how I can put each of the frequencies to use to get the maximum benefit from that selection.
Choose lower frequencies 5-10khz on clean patch to get little more depth. Soil should be mild - mean low mineralization. 15-20 higher mineralization lot of iron for better separation. If you are hunting for little coins - tiny use higher. For bigger relics like buckles use lower.

40khz will be good on heavy mineralized ground for tiny silver and gold jewellery, nuggets etc.

Maybe this way.
Hey Dan,

Not being an electrical engeneer, I'll give you my simple version.

In the 3-20 Khz range. Genarally lower frequencies are better at reacting to higher conductors such as silver, copper, aluminum etc., or larger metal objects. Higher frequencies will react better to lower conductives such as small gold jewelry, lead, etc., or smaller metal objects. The HIGH 40+Khz is normally used exclusively for hunting natural gold nuggets. It is extremely reactive to any tiny metal oblect, such as tiny lead birdshot, tiny gold nuggets less than a few grains, so it would drive most people crazy in a trashy high target volume environment.

The higher the frequency, the more it "sees" the ground mineralization also, which is why good ground balancing detectors are of importance. Lower frequencies generally have better depth, higher frequencies less depth, I believe due based on their effects from soil mineralization. If the coil is picking up the heavy mineralization and the ground balance must compensate, it's detection depth will be effected.

That's my abbreviated version. HH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2017 08:36PM by EMField.
So how many people think the EQ800 is operating on all five frequencies at the same time, I don't think I heard anyone say that's what is actully happening. It could be running on two or 3 frequencies and still call it multi frequency.
Dan(NM) Wrote:
> So how many people think the EQ800 is operating on
> all five frequencies at the same time, I don't thi
> nk I heard anyone say that's what is actully happe
> ning. It could be running on two or 3 frequencies
> and still call it multi frequency.

My guess, would be that in multi-freq. it would probably utilize three frequencies. Something like 5,10, and 15 or 20Khz. Only an educated guess mind you.

I don't think the high frequency would be utilized in that mode.
Shelton Wrote:
> Choose lower frequencies 5-10khz on clean patch to
> get little more depth. Soil should be mild - mean
> low mineralization. 15-20 higher mineralization lo
> t of iron for better separation. If you are huntin
> g for little coins - tiny use higher. For bigger r
> elics like buckles use lower.
>
> 40khz will be good on heavy mineralized ground for
> tiny silver and gold jewellery, nuggets etc.
>
> Maybe this way.

I agree with everything you said except for the effects of ground mineralization. (Not to be confused with iron contamination.)
Lower frequencies are LESS affected (depth wise) by heavy mineralization than higher frequencies...especially when hunting for deep, coin-sized, high conductors (silver).
So much so, that detectors like the Fisher 1280x (2.2k) doesn't even have a ground balance control...it's not needed.
(And still works quite well to snag the deep silver in bad ground.)

If I hunted for deep silver at 40k in my heavily mineralized ground, I wouldn't find anything....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 01:20AM by Mike in CO.
Dan(NM) Wrote:
> So how many people think the EQ800 is operating on
> all five frequencies at the same time, I don't thi
> nk I heard anyone say that's what is actully happe
> ning. It could be running on two or 3 frequencies
> and still call it multi frequency.

Dan, if I followed the Minelab engineer correctly, the Equinox 800 will have 2 different sets of frequencies available. The first group of frequencies is 5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, can be used individually or in different groupings depending on MODE selected (Park, Field, Beach). The second group consists of 20kHz and 40kHz, which are for individual use in the prospecting MODE.

It was inferred that the settings would be very adjustable if the user was interested, or could be kept to the basic settings if not.

Like everybody else, I'm excited to see some supposed new technology come along. I am currently running an E-trac and Racer 2, which are an excellent pair of detectors that complement each other well. I don't have a detector that is rain proof, let alone dunkable. I'm enthused to see the Equinox come along and will be watching closely as introduction time approaches.

Gonebeepin'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Always thought low freq. for coins...high freq. for gold jewelry..but with new units not sure at this point....