Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Headphones

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Headphones
October 12, 2011 02:15PM
It may be because I am getting older, but I really like the Retro look of some of the vintage headphone. The price of some of these are well below the ones made for metal detecting. My question is
what would be the specifications needed for a set to work as needed to hear those faint signals. Ohms and frequency is what I think is important. I have seen a lot of them for sale and they even have the 1/4" jack
with curley cords. Any help would be great.

Tom in SC
Re: Headphones
October 12, 2011 08:04PM
I think some of the more popular ones are: frequency response: 200 - 3200 Hz... only what your detector uses. Sensitivity: 72 dB @ 1kHz min. Impedance: 150 ohms nominal. Some are more matched to a detector also the speakers may be water resistant. Its not amplification by good sound quality that makes a good headphone as well as their ability to block out sound.

Dew
October 12, 2011 10:40PM
I've found on machines with nuanced tones (IE. Explorer and analog systems) that impedance means very little and high freq response and high sensitivity means a lot....
October 15, 2011 02:25PM
I feel some phones just work better on some units and certainly don't know the technical data..

For years have used Calrads 20-25 bucks and worked well on lots of different units.Pair I am using is 8 years old and have a spare in the trunk.

I do know buy a pair made specially for metal detectors as the others used for music etc. just won't cut it...