Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Neat website for before and after comparisons of the Tsunami

Posted by TheOtherLeggoHead 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Neat website for before and after comparisons of the Tsunami
March 14, 2011 01:46AM
Funny thing too...

Here we have a similar catastrophy, (Katrina) and yet in Japan there are no riots, killings, and looting. Strange?

[www.abc.net.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2011 01:46AM by TheOtherLeggoHead.
Re: Neat website for before and after comparisons of the Tsunami
March 15, 2011 01:32PM
Painfully spectacular link.

And.....................Good (correct) point.
March 15, 2011 02:17PM
Looting is something that is unheard of in Japan.
Most of those people have lost everything, including loved ones.
Yet they offer the American reporters and soldiers what little food rations they have been given.
The Japanese are just a better class of people.
March 16, 2011 09:12PM
one thing I notice after the shock, was how much farm land is water now, I wonder if these areas will be dry again, this is where they get their food from, they'll have a hard time replacing it, unbelievable pics
March 16, 2011 10:04PM
With all the possibility of chemical and sewage contamination ect. may not be for a long time, and then theres the radiation...such a tragedy.
Poor people..makes you count your blessings.
Very sad for sure
March 16, 2011 11:20PM
those poor people,,,I watch them on the new's at night.....awful ....

There goes America's Nuclear energy for the next decade or more....

Keith
March 20, 2011 03:32AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looting is something that is unheard of in Japan.
> Most of those people have lost everything,
> including loved ones.
> Yet they offer the American reporters and soldiers
> what little food rations they have been given.
> The Japanese are just a better class of people.

not necessarily better!..more disciplined!.
overriding factor!..culture,and "learned" behavior patterns!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 20, 2011 11:45AM
They are a better class of people because they are disciplined....that go's without saying.
March 20, 2011 09:49PM
My main concern regarding the farm land is that even when the water is gone, much of the salt will remain and will likely render the soil unfit for farming at least for the immediate future. Rice, their main agricultural product, is less salt tolerant than other plants such as barley or cotton. Nature will eventually cleanse the soil but no one can say how long that will take.

As far as discipline and a better class of people goes, I will warn you in advance that what follows is very opinionated and may not be agreeable with everyone.

I have spent a considerable amount of time in Asia and while I would be hesitant to say that they are a better class of people, I will say that the culture as a whole is more respectful and polite than the American culture has become in the past few decades. Everywhere I went including China, Japan and Korea EVERYONE I met, young and old, was courteous and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I cannot say the same for the majority of the places I have traveled to in the U.S.

I wouldn't say that Asians are more disciplined than we are but I will say that on the whole they are more self disciplined.
There is a distinct difference between discipline and self discipline. Discipline is applied, self discipline is taught.

Learned behavior patterns are not necessarily a bad thing.
I just returned from a week in Disney World with my wife and kids. We stayed on campus and relied on the monorail and buses for transportation. I repeatedly saw children being belligerent to their parents and acting like brats. I also saw my children repeatedly stand up and offer their seats to an elderly person and in my son's case to a lady. My kids respond with "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir" not "Yeah" and "Uh Huh". Both of these behaviors are learned and speak volumes about how important learned behaviors actually are. My Grandfather taught me how to behave and it is my job to teach my children.
Respectful behavior is the norm in Asia while it is becoming a rarity in the U.S.

While Americans were busy looting and such in the wake of Katrina, the Japanese were doing this [asklindasherman.com]. Now that the tables are turned I would expect us to reciprocate and while some are doing "the right thing", I am sickened by the number of blogs and such that are encouraging people not to help because of Pearl Harbor and other ignorant nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be American but am not always proud of my fellow citizens.

Sorry for the rant but this has really been gnawing at me lately.
March 20, 2011 11:17PM
My feelings exactly.
Thanks.
March 21, 2011 05:21AM
Nuegene, I'll ditto your opinion too. And tell your children that a guy they don't know admires them for their manners and thoughtfulnesssmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 07:08AM by TerraDigger.
March 21, 2011 06:30AM
Aaron Wrote:
> They are a better class of people because they are
> disciplined....that go's without saying.

as mentioned.."learned" behavior,but not necessarily "superior" to any other race of people!
point being,"our" culture could "benefit" from the "learned" behavior of the japanese...just sayin!
March 21, 2011 11:49AM
jmaryt wrote:

"as mentioned.."learned" behavior,but not necessarily "superior" to any other race of people!
point being,"our" culture could "benefit" from the "learned" behavior of the japanese...just sayin!"

I never said the Japanese were "superior"....no human race is more superior to another...your taking what I said out of context. I said "they are a better class of people" or "classier".
And yes...I agree with you 100%, our culture could stand to benefit from their example.

Let the facts speak for themselves...just sayin! : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 11:55AM by Aaron.
March 22, 2011 12:43AM
Aaron Wrote:
> jmaryt wrote:
>
> "as mentioned.."learned" behavior,but not
> necessarily "superior" to any other race of
> people!
> point being,"our" culture could "benefit" from the
> "learned" behavior of the japanese...just sayin!"
>
> I never said the Japanese were "superior"....no
> human race is more superior to another...your
> taking what I said out of context. I said "they
> are a better class of people" or "classier".
> And yes...I agree with you 100%, our culture could
> stand to benefit from their example.
>
> Let the facts speak for themselves...just sayin!
> : )

may the good lord 'bless" these people with his most "merciful" love!
who is to say these people are any ''classier" than any other group of people?
this is "'your" opinion,and you are entitled to it!..we are all god's children,and in the final analysis,it is he,in his infinite
wisdom who will "define" us!..in the interim,let us pray for the japanese people who are facing the ultimate "test"
of god's will!...just sayin!
March 24, 2011 11:32PM
March 25, 2011 03:23AM
And to think it took 5 months for the city to replace the water mains on my residential street that was 1/8 of a mile long. And they were there ''working''?? 5 days a week.........
March 25, 2011 06:55AM
TheOtherLeggoHead Wrote:
> [www.autoblog.com]
> -quake-ravaged-road-in-just-six-days/

adversity notwithstanding,the japanese are a very resourceful people!
just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.